Las Vegas Shooting

We're getting a gun soon. Never had one in my life, but I think it's finally time. The world is in chaos and I have a family to protect in all of this madness
That logic is precisely why the stocks go up. Investors are counting on that public reaction, and/or a threat of stricter control leading to many making purchases ahead of the changes.

And massive thanks to our first responders both on and off duty and law enforcement that showed from other counties. They no doubt saved countless lives.

Earlier I had read that concert goers, the same people fleeing, were also helping the wounded. Kudos to those people too, they were facing danger and still tried to do what they could to help people.

It was on the Strip.

Yeah - I get that. I thought that this particular part of The Strip is maybe 5 miles outside of the city limits though. The Sheriff I get, since he's in charge of the Las Vegas Metro Police and this is his jurisdiction, but what would the Mayor have to do with this?

And thinking about Mandalay Bay, the shooter must have requested a particular part of the building and a certain height since it's shaped like a 3 pointed star.

Re: the wife/partner reference: family and friends of the shooter keep stating she was his partner, but NBC is still reporting he was going through a divorce. Since it is unlikely friends and family were unaware of his marital status, that may indicate there was a triangle thing going on.
This is why I don't really follow the news for the first 24 hours after such a tragedy. There is SO much bad or half-correct information that news agencies are all too eager to use to full their site content or air time. I prefer to wait at least a day for law enforcement to sort things out before what you read is more likely to be correct.

Earlier I had read that concert goers, the same people fleeing, were also helping the wounded. Kudos to those people too, they were facing danger and still tried to do what they could to help people.
They were and some even went back. There’s a video of a woman in a pick up being told they needed her vehicle to get people to hospital. She said, “Okay, load in as many as you can.”

We're getting a gun soon. Never had one in my life, but I think it's finally time. The world is in chaos and I have a family to protect in all of this madness.

What protection would that give from a shooter off in the distance? And at a venue where guns wouldn't be allowed and I assume had metal detectors.

Yeah - I get that. I thought that this particular part of The Strip is maybe 5 miles outside of the city limits though. The Sheriff I get, since he's in charge of the Las Vegas Metro Police and this is his jurisdiction, but what would the Mayor have to do with this?

And thinking about Mandalay Bay, the shooter must have requested a particular part of the building and a certain height since it's shaped like a 3 pointed star.
Most of what we think of as the most popular and "glamorous" part of "Las Vegas" isn't even in Las Vegas, it's actually Paradise, NV.

That’s like asking why did the Governor comment or why did Donald Trump comment? Or why did law enforcement from Henderson show? Why is the Sheriff from Mesquite helping out? Really?

Automatic rifle used. Already banned.

I don't know much about guns, yet I can't help but wonder... in those assault videos posted everywhere, it sounds like a heavier caliber gun was used with extra large ammo cartridge. When he started shooting, it was going continuously on for a long time. And the reload took a while too...

I read somewhere this afternoon that they are legal in Nevada, though.

Not necessarily. The effective ban on automatic weapons was federal. Pre-1986 automatic weapons were grandfathered in as legal. Even though many are old and kind of hanging in there, they fetch an extreme premium price because they can be transferred. I heard a few companies still had/have unassembled pre-1986 receivers that allow them to make essentially new automatic weapons that can be transferred. Heck - there are billboards all over the Vegas area advertising gun ranges that rent out automatic weapons. Many are these older ones.

After 1986, it's possible for licensed firearms dealers to acquire automatic weapons, but they can't be transferred to someone who isn't a licensed dealer. This is how movie/TV get a lot of their weapons, although these days they might just obtain the use of semiautomatic weapons or even fakes and then use digital effects.

Law enforcement officers can obtain automatic weapons, although an agency might have policies that don't allow their officers to obtain them as personal weapons. There was a scandal a few years back in the Sacramento area of several officers obtaining automatic weapons and selling them on the black market.

Last edited:
I don't think this terrorist had any connection to ISIS.

He is still a terrorist & this was an act of terror.

"Thoughts & prayers" are not enough anymore.

Replying to the bolded - I have a hard time hearing this. It's natural for people to respond to a tragedy like this one with sending thoughts and prayers. What else can we (the public) do in a situation like this? We have no control over gun laws.

And, if you are a person who believes that prayer changes things on this earth, then saying you will pray for a situation (and meaning it) is no small thing.

Such a terrible tragedy. I'm praying for all the families and friends, nurses and first responders... I can't even imagine what they are all going through right now. This is such a devastating time for our country. I sincerely hope that we start seeing less of these horrific incidents. This is just terrible.

Automatic rifle used. Already banned.
Yeah, it seems (from what I can tell from the audio) the weapon used was a fully automatic rifle. Those are already banned. The "assault weapon ban" is about high capacity rapid trigger rifles, where you pull the trigger each time to fire a shot (these are called semi-automatic). Fully automatic are a different animal and are still illegal

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter