Large Family Tent Camping???

JMomx4

Earning My Ears
Hi, all! I have posted here a time or two before, but we had to cancel our trip for this year. My husband said to go ahead and plan for next year, and we can stay either in a cabin, a family suite at the values, or tent camp. I am having a hard time choosing.
We will probably be going next November (although we can be very flexible between Sept - Dec). I honestly think my *preference* would be tent camping, but I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around all of the things we would need to take. We have about a 10 hour drive to the fort, with 5 children (at that time ages will be 10, 8, 4, 2, and 7 months).
Honestly, I am sure we would enjoy anywhere that we stay, but I think we would enjoy the outdoor setting of the Fort (cabin or tent) more than a hotel. We could save a pretty good amount by tenting as opposed to a cabin, but losing the kitchen pretty much will mean eating out 2 meals a day.
I am also thinking that we would have to take so much to camp, that it would require us pulling a trailer behind our suburban for the chairs, tent, bikes, etc., so that could add cost.
Also, we have tent camped before (my husband and son often, and the rest of us not so often, but love it when we do), but we have never gone with a baby as young as 7 months. I would hate for him to keep others awake at night with crying, etc.
This will be our first time at Disneyworld.
Can anyone offer advice and/or experience?
Thanks!

If you're that flexible on time I would recommend going near the end of Sept during the free dining period. The last day you were allowed to check in to get the offer this year was Sept 20th. But you could stay as long as you wanted. It is a great deal saving about 40 bucks per person per day. The only catch is you have to stay in a resort room or cabin. Camp sites are excluded.

After that you are free to decide what resort based on your own wishes. Each resort has its own unique things. For me personally I love POFQ. But in all fairness I have only tried POR and POFQ. But I think you will be limited on locations based on the number of people in a room. Normally the limit it to 4. Unless one is a baby.

I have heard the value suite is pretty expensive. You may consider just getting two rooms and try to get them adjoining.

Good luck and have fun.

Wow,,you really have some choices to make ! But thats a good thing.:thumbsup2
No matter what you decide to do, you can't go wrong with the Fort. There is so much to enjoy and do there, for adults and the young'ns.
However, if you plan on doing strictly the parks, then a hotel may be for you. We do both the Fort and hotels,,just depends on the circumstances at that time,,, but we choose the Fort every time we can.

And if you do the Fort, only you can figure out which options best suite you and family, cabin or tenting.

If you do the Fort,,Bring your fishing poles !:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Camping at Disney with a 7 month old is brave!;) Cleaning bottles and keeping food/milk cold (unless you're breastfeeding, which will make it a whole lot easier) will be a bit of a challenge but if your family is used to camping and all for it.. GO FOR IT! Have fun.:)

Just think .... with what you would save for one night at the cabin you could buy a complete camping kitchen!

Thank you for all of the input. You have given me alot to think about. We could go during free dining and stay in 2 connecting values. I am sure that would be fun. I know it would be easier, but we wouldn't have the fort experience.
I shouldn't have to worry with bottles, I usually nurse for a year.
It is mostly the noise of the baby that I worry about. If he was crying in the middle of the night, would it wake all of the people in the tents around us?
Also, the logistics of hauling everything down there.

I do LOVE the *idea* of camping at the fort, though. We would love to go to the campfire, ride bikes around, fish (everyone but me, that is).

Is the weather pretty decent in November? The less clothes, etc. that we need, the better.

OK, I just looked at weather trends, and it looks like if we went in mid-late October, we would be fine in shorts, and would probably be OK without a/c or heat in the tent. We could take a fan for the tent for naptime, but I think nights would be fine.
Highs in low to mid 80s and lows in low 70s.
Sound reasonable?

If you had an annual pass you could very well get a discount of between $50 to $100 off on a cabin.Check www.mousesavers.com With the full kitchen with dishwasher,meals at the cabin could save plenty and you still have all of the camping fun. Bring your bikes.

I think you guys will enjoy it! Take a crockpot and grill to cut your cooking time and make easy meals...save your quarters (ice)and buy a big cooler (5day kind) freeze meals ahead to take too...it saves work on you!!! and gives you more time to enjoy the vacation yourself!!!...we have frozen juice boxes to help keep foods frozen and save room for food vs ice at the beginning of the trip...replace with ice as you remove the boxes to enjoy....you can work it out and will have a life time of wonderful memories!

Thank you all so much for the ideas. I am really thinking that we will go for it and tent camp. We already have a propane camping grill. Tonight, we looked at camping stoves and kitchens, which we will buy. We also have a 10x20 tent and a smaller 2-person tent. We have a 5 day cooler, and a crock-pot to bring, thanks for that suggestion, CelticWoman.
I am pretty excited.
Now I just have to decide between October and November. I am leaning toward November 7-15, thinking it may be a little cooler in the day, and not too cold at night.
I really appreciate all of your input. I am sure I will have lots of questions.

I think your choice is good...Oct. is still pretty warm down there but doable...Nov. is just about the perfect tent camping time down there!!! Be sure you do weather proof your tents! It can make a huge difference...its the end of hurricane season and rains a good bit. We have used a tarp under our tents and also over our bedding inside the tents just in case of blown in rains and a possible leak.Those saved quarters can come in handy for wet emergencies too....to also lighten your loads....buy some of those XXL Ziplock bags for everyone's clothes...good for clean and dirty clothes and bedding! Expensive at first but can be used more than once...Have a magical trip! I'm excited for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter