Lap tops & airport security

lejaf

Mouseketeer
This is going to sound really dumb, but I've never traveled with a lap top before. The reason I want to take a lap top on vacation is simply to be able to down load the pictures from my digital camera. I tend to take A LOT of pictures and can fill up a memory card in absolutly no time so buying more memory cards to use, really would be an expensive option.

So, can you tell me what I can expect by bringing the lap top through security in the airport. I'll have a lap top, a cell phone and a digital camera....will they ask me to turn them all on, or do they go through the xray machine? I'll be travelingwith three kids and DH and in the past security has always been a hassle becuase we've had a stroller (one year they made me have my very shy 18 month DD walk through the metal detector...as she was clinging to my leg...fortunately I had my two older kids at the other side cheering her on so she finally waddled through) I was thinking this year would be so much easier, now that all my kids are older and a bit more self-sufficient, but I'll probably be the one to slow things down with all the digital stuff.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can use lap tops on airplanes right? Mine has a wireless card installed, so is that something I'll have to turn off? and if so, how do I do that?

The laptop will have to go through the xray out of it's case. And you may be asked to turn it on. You can use it on the flight after the plane gets up in the air, they'll make an announcement.::MickeyMo

I travel all the time with my laptop, cell phone, digital camera. You must take the laptop out of the case and send it through by itself. Sometimes they wipe it down for explosives. Your other items can stay in your bag.

Once in the air they will tell you when you can use it. You probably have an icon in the bar at the bottom of your screen for wireless. Right click on it and you should be able to disable it. Otherwise if it is a removable card just take it out.

Since TSA took over security, I've had less problems with my laptop. They have not wiped it down or asked me to turn it on for awhile. You always have to take it out of the case. Cellphone & digital camera I have just left in my purse or carryon bag, no problem.

Just don't get busted for something else. I had dress shoes on during a business trip last fall and didn't realize they had metal inside. Didn't feel like taking them off so I took a chance. The detector went off so they went through everything (didn't have my laptop) and wanded me.

Just a hint learned while traveling for business. Tape a card with your name to your laptop. A lady with my company had someone pick up her laptop by mistake at the security screening. When she caught up with the other person, she had to convince him to turn on the laptop so she could prove it was hers. If her name had been on the laptop the mistake would have never happened.

why do you have to disable the wireless or take out the card?
I don't have a laptop, but will be buying one soon, and might take it on the plane with me.

Originally posted by chamonix
why do you have to disable the wireless or take out the card?
I don't have a laptop, but will be buying one soon, and might take it on the plane with me.

Because you cannot have anytype of communication flight on when you are flying. Most times you can just disable it. You cannot use your cell phone on the plane either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter