language or a food thats distinctive to your area

What's mitten state? And the long ones with cream inside and chocolate on top are eclairs...round ones like that are called Boston Creams, round with jelly inside and sugar on the outside are Bismarks. I'm rambling again, aren't I...

Mitten state = Michigan :)

image.jpeg

I was going to mention Saskatoons but didn't think there would be ANYBODY that would know what I was talking about. Just like the doughnuts, I don't even really like Saskatoons but for sure, nothing else quite says "Canadian Prairies" like they do.

I would have known a Saskatoon. I think my mom has some in the freezer. Your description of a cruller was spot on, too...

I can't believe no one from Pittsburgh posted yet!

Chippy Ham - Isaly's chipped ham, delicious!
Primanti's sandwich - has cole slaw and french fries ON the sandwich
Yinz - plural of you
Gum Bands - rubber bands
Pop - soda
And when a Pittsburgher gives directions, it usually includes "turn where XYZ used to be"

Yinz goin' to da Jine Iggle to get some city chicken and IC? ;)

I married a Pittsburgh boy. I made the mistake of not knowing who Chuck Noll was. Oh man ... his family never let me live that one down.

And don't forget Oregon as Ory-gone (it's sort of pronounced Or-i (short "i")-gin (with "g" as in game)...hard to spell out, really) I once had a complete stranger stop me to talk briefly, because she heard me say "Oregon" and knew I must have been from there at some point because I pronounced it correctly.

Don't even get me started on place names within Oregon constantly being mis-pronounced...Lake Oswego, Tigard, etc. There was an entire book in our public library called Ory-Gone and it had all of the place names with their proper pronunciations next to them.
I've had people on the phone pronounce my hometown as Scu-poose Ory-gone! I just go with it.

DF is from Louisiana and puts Potato Salad in his gumbo... I thought he was the only one and that he was full of crap when he said everyone did it. I was wrong, apparently it's pretty common. lol

We live "on" Long Island, not in.

We go to "the city" not Manhattan.

You work "in the city". If you are in the city, you may go "out" to Long island.

Yup...Born and raised in North Jersey (Bergen County). It was always "the City", not NY or Manhattan. Out to Long Island as well. Moved to South Jersey and people say going to Philly.

I can't believe no one from Pittsburgh posted yet!

Chippy Ham - Isaly's chipped ham, delicious!
Primanti's sandwich - has cole slaw and french fries ON the sandwich
Yinz - plural of you
Gum Bands - rubber bands
Pop - soda
And when a Pittsburgher gives directions, it usually includes "turn where XYZ used to be"

Went to a wedding at Pitt and ate at Primanti's. Loved it.

No fair - we're supposed to be comparing things that could actually taste GOOD...:crazy2:

Lol, yeah I won't eat that either. :rotfl:
But it is so successful that they got a deal on Sharktank and have opened new restaurants in several states. :confused3

I also won't eat Goetta (pronounced get-uh) either. It's similar to scrapple but is a Cincy breakfast staple with pin-head oats and spices compared to scrapples cornmeal. We even have a festival around it. GoettaFest. Yep, this area has some peculiar foods.

But we also have Graeter's Ice Cream! Oh baby, made using the French Pot method (small 2 gallon batches) it's the creamiest dreamiest ice cream. Mmmmm....

image.jpeg

Here's the #1 flavor Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip being made. It's yummy, but I prefer the Buckeye Blitz ice cream (even though it kills this original Mitten State ;) girl to like anything associated with OSU)

image.jpeg

Ok, now I'm hungry.

Does nobody else call that type of footwear "gym shoes"? I once read an article about regionalisms that said this is a Chicago thing. Can anyone back me up on this? Or is it just my family (and whoever wrote that article, lol)?

As far as regional foods, Chicago has plenty that are well-known: deep dish pizza, Italian beef sandwiches, Chicago style hot dogs.... Probably less well known is Chicago style thin crust pizza, cut into squares. This is the kind of pizza I grew up eating:

220px-Chicago_thin_crust_pizza.jpg

That is the ONLY way to eat pizza! By comparison, Michigan pizza is awful.

Also, in Chicago people like to say "youse" when referring to more than one person: "Do youse want to come over at 7?" "Do any of youse want a beef" Drives me nuts.
Lol, yeah I won't eat that either. :rotfl:
But it is so successful that they got a deal on Sharktank and have opened new restaurants in several states. :confused3

I also won't eat Goetta (pronounced get-uh) either. It's similar to scrapple but is a Cincy breakfast staple with pin-head oats and spices compared to scrapples cornmeal. We even have a festival around it. GoettaFest. Yep, this area has some peculiar foods.

But we also have Graeter's Ice Cream! Oh baby, made using the French Pot method (small 2 gallon batches) it's the creamiest dreamiest ice cream. Mmmmm....

View attachment 168458

Here's the #1 flavor Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip being made. It's yummy, but I prefer the Buckeye Blitz ice cream (even though it kills this original Mitten State ;) girl to like anything associated with OSU)

View attachment 168460

Ok, now I'm hungry.

Oh, no...it must be heavenly if you can eat it out of that yucky container!

GO BLUE!!!!!!

And, yes, on the "gym shoes" thing - my husband is a Chicagoan and still calls tennis shoes "gym shoes". His family also says "take him a shower (or bath)" "raise up the volume" "foil paper" "for why?" and "slider" instead of doorwall. Everyone from the Northwest side of Detroit knows that a slider is a Bates burger, not a glass door!

Beignets, po boy's (dressed!), snoballs, red beans & rice (always on a Monday).

For the record, I always thought I was calling them tennis shoes, but tenna shoes is probably a more accurate pronunciation now that I have seen it. Definitely NOT sneakers.

How about the bubbler imnot sure if it's a Midwestern term or just WI. Most places call it a drinking fountain. When I was a kid we were on vacation in CO. My little brother needed a drink. So my mom asked a guy in the store if they had a bubbler talk about being looked at like you have 2heads

A bunch of friends and I went to Nashville to a concert and met a kid from the midwest at dinner. We were comparing what we call different things, or how we pronounce them, and he introduced us to the term "bubbler." It took quite a bit of explanation on his part before we even knew what he was talking about to tell him what we would call it! We also got a kick out of him asking us what we call a "fleg." None of us knew what a "fleg" was until he said, "You know, like an American fleg?" :rotfl:

Indian tacos and Indian fry bread (even the Native Americans around here call them that)
Soda, not pop, Coke, or fizzy drink
Sonoran hot dogs
Carne seca
Prickly pear margaritas
Sneakers
Flip flops - can be worn to church!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter