language or a food thats distinctive to your area

From where I grew up: Pit beef sandwiches, crab cakes, and proper BBQ. PA grillin is not BBQ. It's good, but its a different thing.

From where I choose to live now: cookie tables at weddings, Primantis (yes. I know they expanded into places not Pittsburgh but they still taste better in the city), and YINZER.

If anyone ever wanted to learn to speak Hoosier, these short videos will help you out. The sad thing is, some of these things I have said for years and never knew it was wrong!

Haven't read through the 10 pages, so sorry if these have already been mentioned:

--Here in Louisville we pronounce it "Louahvull" like you're swallowing your tongue as you say it. If you ever pronounce it "Loo-ee-vill" or (heaven forbid) "Loo-is-vill" we'll know you're not from around here. :D

--We have a Versailles, Kentucky, but it's not pronounced like you pronounce the town in France--we pronounce it "Ver-sales".

--There's a county in Kentucky spelled "Garrard," but the locals pronounce it "Gehr-red." The county seat is Lancaster, but everybody pronounces it "Lankster."

As for local foods, Louisville is known for the Hot Brown, a heart attack on a plate consisting of a slice of bread, sliced ham, sliced turkey, bacon, tomato and covered in mornay sauce, then slid under a broiler until the sauce is bubbly and golden.

HotBrownSandwich2.jpg

We vacationed in Louisville/Lexington....loved, loved, loved the area. Our trip consisted of Churchill Downs tour, backside tour, Keeneland, Old Friends, Three Chimneys, the Louisville Bat Company. A few other things that I can't recall. At any rate, I learned quickly how to pronounce Louisville; asked as a trivia question on Versailles and tried a hot brown. The Hot brown didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. We went to Wagners (by Chruchill Downs) and was told the best place for a milkshake but they ran out of ice cream! Loved Derby pie, don't care for the mint julep. Went to a bourbon distillery as well.

Kind of a joke, but I remember when David Letterman visited San Francisco, he went around asking if restaurants served Rice-A-Roni.

we put jimmies on our ice cream (Not sprinkles

Oh my gosh, how could I forget that one? When I moved from NY to MA, I had no idea what "jimmies" were!

Olive burger or Deluxe burger - mayo, green olive, tomato, lettuce = absolutely delicious!

That sounds really good!

Oh, I never called it this but my grandparents always said davenport over couch. Nobody said sofa.

My grandmother did, too!

We vacationed in Louisville/Lexington....loved, loved, loved the area. Our trip consisted of Churchill Downs tour, backside tour, Keeneland, Old Friends, Three Chimneys, the Louisville Bat Company. A few other things that I can't recall. At any rate, I learned quickly how to pronounce Louisville; asked as a trivia question on Versailles and tried a hot brown. The Hot brown didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. We went to Wagners (by Chruchill Downs) and was told the best place for a milkshake but they ran out of ice cream! Loved Derby pie, don't care for the mint julep. Went to a bourbon distillery as well.

Me either. A julep is good to drink on Derby Day I guess, but otherwise it's a waste of perfectly good bourbon IMHO. Powdered sugar? :shudder:

I remember ordering a milkshake once at Quincy Market (it just came to me that I always heard it pronounced even there as Quincy (with an s sound) Market). I received shaken milk with flavored syrup. If I wanted ice cream in it I needed to order a frappe.

I am from St Louis so we have:

Toasted ravioli

Toasted ravioli, from The Hill
One food that originated in the St. Louis region of The Hill is toasted ravioli, which is a ravioli coated in breading and toasted dry or fried, instead of being boiled or baked wet.

St. Louis-style pizza
St. Louis has a unique and regionally popular variation of pizza known as St. Louis-style pizza. The pizza's traditional characteristics include:

• It is cut in squares ("tavern cut") as opposed to wedges.
  • The crust is thin and crisp and is not made with yeast.
  • Greater crust strength through square-cutting and crisp crust is needed because the toppings are traditionally arranged in much larger pieces, and are often sliced instead of diced.
  • The white processed cheese Provel (composed of provolone, Swiss, and white cheddar) and was originally created because of the low melting point. This allowed for a faster cooking time than other cheeses.
  • Its pizza sauce is seasoned with more oregano and less basil than is typical.
Gooey butter cake

A slice of Gooey butter cake with powdered sugar and raspberries
Supposedly originating with a botched cake recipe in the 1930s, gooey butter cake and gooey butter cookies are popular in the region.[citation needed] The bottom layer of the cake is flat and dense, made with a box cake mix. The top layer is the "gooey butter" and is made from powdered sugar and cream cheese. The cake is typically dusted with powdered sugar once cooled. Nationally, food enthusiasts largely became aware of the cake when Paula Deen published the recipe in one of her cookbooks.

St. Louis-style BBQ

Pork steaks cooking, St. Louis-style
St. Louis-style barbecue involves direct grilling rather than indirect heat and smoking, as well as a larger volume of the style's sweet, sticky, and acidic tomato-based sauce. It is commonly used with two local meat cuts:

Pork steak
In St. Louis, one of the most common pork dishes is the pork steak, a shoulder cut that is slow-cooked until it becomes very tender, then barbecued.

St. Louis-style ribs
St. Louis-style ribs are spare ribs with the sternum, cartilage and rib tips removed to create a rectangular-shaped rack. The cut of ribs, formally recognized by the USDA as "Pork Ribs, St. Louis Style," supposedly originated with numerous meat-packing plants located in the region in the mid twentieth century.

In past years St. Louis has routinely been named one of the best cities in the country for barbecue.

Slinger
The Slinger is a St. Louis diner food consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and hamburger, steak, or other meat, all covered in chili, onions, and cheddar or American cheese. A variation on this, the Toby, replaces the chili with white gravy.

Gerber sandwich
The Gerber sandwich is an open-faced sandwich, with Italian or French bread, garlic butter, ham, and provel cheese. It is sprinkled with paprika and toasted

St. Paul sandwich
The St. Paul sandwich originated in St. Louis in the 1940s. It is made with white bread with an egg foo young patty inside, served with dill pickle, white onion, mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter