Ladies only WWYD?

Birth Control or Lupron shot?

• birth control

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • lupron shots

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
No

Not sure why you would need the pills or shot after the ablation...I had mine 20 years ago - no problems - prior to the surgery- I was bleeding almost non-stop for 2 years...my iron level had dropped to 3 - had the surgery as out patient and went back to work a week or so later.

I think she's saying she'd need the pills or shot before the ablation, not after. To thin the lining in preparation for the ablation

I think she's saying she'd need the pills or shot before the ablation, not after. To thin the lining in preparation for the ablation
Ah - I didn't have anything like that - went to the doctor on Wednesday - had the surgery on Friday.

My doctor did a D&C before my ablation to make sure she got a clean surface for the ablation. I also had a tubal done at the same time. Best thing I ever did!!

My doctor did a D&C before my ablation to make sure she got a clean surface for the ablation. I also had a tubal done at the same time. Best thing I ever did!!

I was just going to say this (except the tubal part). I would ask your doctor about doing a d&c followed immediately by the ablation. If there is a way to thin the endometrial layer without hormones I would take that every time. This is what my doctor did for me several years ago and it was very successful. I was bleeding every day and never knew if it would be spotting or very heavy and the hormonal mood swings were hideous! After the ablation I spotted for about a month and then would have very light spotting for 2-3 days every 4 months or so. It truly changed my life and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Actually, I am not worried about the actual shot at all, just the effects of it. I begged for a hysterectomy, but my doctor won't do it, even though I have fainted 2 times this year from severe anemia. My iron level is 2, and I am starting iron infusions next week.

Have they tested your thyriod?

Actually, I am not worried about the actual shot at all, just the effects of it. I begged for a hysterectomy, but my doctor won't do it, even though I have fainted 2 times this year from severe anemia. My iron level is 2, and I am starting iron infusions next week.

I'd talk to another doctor. It took a bit of looking to find a doctor that was willing to treat the problem, rather than thinking that I should just 'deal' with the things I was dealing with. Given your history with hormones, I don't think either option is good for you. I have an easy time on bcps, thankfully, as they saved me. Lupron wasn't very fun.

I took Lupron as part of my IVF treatment, and it was the single worst part of the entire thing. It is HORRID. Loopy Lupron is what I call it. It made me an emotional mess...seriously a mess.

I'd only do it as a last resort. It is not to be taken lightly, that's for sure. Also, when I took it, it was an injectable only. Self-injected. That wasn't a big deal, but if that's an issue for you, BCP's might be your only option.

I took Lupron as part of my IVF treatment, and it was the single worst part of the entire thing. It is HORRID. Loopy Lupron is what I call it. It made me an emotional mess...seriously a mess.

I'd only do it as a last resort. It is not to be taken lightly, that's for sure. Also, when I took it, it was an injectable only. Self-injected. That wasn't a big deal, but if that's an issue for you, BCP's might be your only option.

Mine was done as a monthly injection, once a month in the doctor's office, for 3 months. But while I was undergoing infertility treatment, it wasn't actually part of an infertility treatment cycle, so maybe different.

I had an ablation three years ago, and it is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I haven't had any issues at all, no bleeding since, except for a couple days after the surgery. My iron levels rebounded fairly quickly after I had the procedure. I didn't have to take BCP or injections before I had it.

If you really want to go with a hysterectomy, I'd go to a different doctor for a second, and third opinion if need be. At 33, I had severe uterine prolapse and my original Gyno didn't want to give me a hysterectomy because of my age. He kept questioning me about having another child. After asking him if he thought me getting pregnant with my cervix literally hanging out was such a great idea, and if I was supposed to just strap my pregnant uterus on my back for 9 months, I practically ran to get a second opinion. One second in the stirrups, that doctor was telling his nurse to get me scheduled for a hysterectomy, lol.

I've done Lupron in various doses (for treatment of severe endometriosis and then multiple rounds of IVF) and it really messed me up. Horrible hot flashes, constant nausea, dizziness, passing out, headaches and constant mood swings. I would avoid it if at all possible.

After 10 years of horrible periods and iron infusions for anemia, I have decided to have an endometrial ablation. My doctor said she wants to thin the uterine lining as much as possible to have a better result.

She has given me 2 choices: go on birth control pills, which I had horrible side effects from in the past, extreme mood swings where my family was concerned about my mental health and intense panic attacks. Also severe acne and weight gain...or Lupron shots, which put you into immediate menopause and all that comes with it.

This would only be for 2 months but if you were me, which would you choose? Also if you have had an endometrial ablation, feel free to post your experience.
There are many different birth control pill formulations with different combinations of hormones- you just need to find a different one.

Mine was done as a monthly injection, once a month in the doctor's office, for 3 months. But while I was undergoing infertility treatment, it wasn't actually part of an infertility treatment cycle, so maybe different.
I can't recall the particulars, but it seems to me I did it daily for 7-10 days for each cycle. I know for sure it was self-injected....that was one of those "I could NEVER do that" things that I got over in a hot minute when I had to. LOL.

In my experience, you are given low doses of Lupron for IVF cycles. I did those with small syringes in my abdomen. To put someone into temporary menopause (as I had to be to treat endometriosis) the doses are MUCH higher and given once a month. For those, I had to go to the doctor's office where the nurse administered the injection into my rear. I actually passed out during my last injection of the six month cycle while the needle was still in. So embarrassing!

Then I REALLY wouldn't want to do Lupron....the small dose was horrid enough. If OP reacts "badly" to BCPs, I would think Lupron could be 1000x worse....at least I'd be concerned about it. The "reason" you go into temporary menopause is because they are messing with your hormones big time. That's what BCP's do too, of course, but not to that degree. On the plus side, you get a preview of menopause. :teeth:

I think a second opinion couldn't hurt. I had a water ablation 10 years ago and it has changed my life as many others have posted. I had super heavy, super painful periods for 6-7 years after my last child and I couldn't deal with it anymore. I was taking loads of ibuprofen 800 every month and it never totally took away the pain. I couldn't even function in my life when I was on my period. I couldn't walk or stand for any amount of time because of the pain and I bled so much I had to change my tampons every hour or so. Forget the nighttime, I got up 3-4 times per night to change. Had the worst time with work, vacation etc since I literally couldn't be upright during that time of the month.

I did the ablation in my doctors office with just some valium and percoset. It was a 10 minute procedure. I don't think very many doctors offer that option but mine did since she thought I had a high pain tolerance. It was like intense labor pains for 10 minutes. She counted me down and I had to do labor breathing techniques to get me through but it was worth it. I went home with percoset and slept the rest of the day and was perfect after that. No recovery time.

I spotted once a month for a few years, no major pains. Then it dwindled down to nothing. I haven't had a period or spotting or anything in 6 years. You still can get some pain but mostly its gone for me. I still get ovulation pain which I hate but it's nothing like the periods used to be.

Hope that helps you. I can't comment about the other options you mentioned. Good luck!

Another vote for at least *considering* a hysterectomy. After my 20th anniversary trip was RUINED due to heavy bleeding/nausea/etc, I researched on hystersisters, found a progressive/modern dr who was top notch at the DaVinci method, at our first appointment he ran me through all the options from least to most extreme, but when he found out how informed I was and that I didn't want to waste the time working my way through it all, and I definitely wasn't having any more children, he agreed to do the hysterectomy, and it was the BEST thing I've ever done for my health.

Every woman is different, but you have to be the informed advocate for yourself :).

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Terri

I'm 38 and same choices and similar problems but I have cysts and known endometriosis. I had the option of Lupron shots to throw in menopause or birth control pills. My gyno told me though I have those options to do the birth control pills because I would hate life and everything around me on the Lupron. I don't do well on the pills either but doing a small dose now until my hysterectomy in two weeks. It's kinda like the lesser of two evils and the bc pills would be it as crappy as it is

I would also get another opinion regarding different procedures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!