• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ladies only WWYD?

Birth Control or Lupron shot?

• birth control

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • lupron shots

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

MamaLema

DIS Veteran
After 10 years of horrible periods and iron infusions for anemia, I have decided to have an endometrial ablation. My doctor said she wants to thin the uterine lining as much as possible to have a better result.

She has given me 2 choices: go on birth control pills, which I had horrible side effects from in the past, extreme mood swings where my family was concerned about my mental health and intense panic attacks. Also severe acne and weight gain...or Lupron shots, which put you into immediate menopause and all that comes with it.

This would only be for 2 months but if you were me, which would you choose? Also if you have had an endometrial ablation, feel free to post your experience.

When I went through IVF, Lupron made me a crazy person. If you are worried about the shots, they are really no big deal. They are given with a tiny needle into the tummy and I barely felt it. If it were me, I would definitely choose the birth control pills because of how the Lupron made me feel.

My dr also recommended an ablation or a hysterectomy for heavy bleeding so I'll be following this thread.

If that were me, I'd go for the pill. There are many different varieties with different amounts of hormone..maybe you just need to try a different one.

Beat me to it.

If you can remember what kind you reacted poorly to in the past, your doctor can try a different combo.

If hormones aren't an option it's a viable one. I have known several friends who said it was the best thing they ever did. Remember it can make endometrial cancer harder to diagnose, so be sure the cause of your bleeding has been completely investigated. Assuming you've had an ultrasound, and you no longer want children and have means to prevent it, I would do it. My dr offered it to me but I'm trying the birth control pills first because it won't stop cysts like pills will....and that seems to be more my problem.

When I went through IVF, Lupron made me a crazy person. If you are worried about the shots, they are really no big deal. They are given with a tiny needle into the tummy and I barely felt it. If it were me, I would definitely choose the birth control pills because of how the Lupron made me feel.

My dr also recommended an ablation or a hysterectomy for heavy bleeding so I'll be following this thread.

Actually, I am not worried about the actual shot at all, just the effects of it. I begged for a hysterectomy, but my doctor won't do it, even though I have fainted 2 times this year from severe anemia. My iron level is 2, and I am starting iron infusions next week.

I had an ablation over 10 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did! I have never had any issues with birth control pills and never experienced Lupron shots, so I wouldn't want to offer an opinion on either of those...

If hormones aren't an option it's a viable one. I have known several friends who said it was the best thing they ever did. Remember it can make endometrial cancer harder to diagnose, so be sure the cause of your bleeding has been completely investigated. Assuming you've had an ultrasound, and you no longer want children and have means to prevent it, I would do it. My dr offered it to me but I'm trying the birth control pills first because it won't stop cysts like pills will....and that seems to be more my problem.

Good advice. Over the last year, I have had many ultrasounds and even a biopsy checking for cancer cells but they can't find the cause of my severe bleeding. I have been diagnosed with dysfunctional uterine bleeding. My doctor says that in some cases like mine, they just can't find the cause. I have no cysts, polyps, fibroids, nothing!

Personally I'd do the pill. Just let everyone know you're gonna be off your rocker for a couple months.

I had the ablation 9 years ago. It....is.....awesome. :)

I'm in the same boat only I just stopped the pill and am ready for the ablation. My doctor said they both have the same success rate and the pill helped but I had constant cramps and spotting and felt like strangling everyone in my path.

Finally hit natural menopause & not too bad. I get mini tropical vacations but otherwise good

My sister had an ablation done, and she has been extremely happy with the results - good luck to you!

Having done Lupron for IVF I would do the birth control pills. Lupron was a horrible drug for me. Weight gain, moods, night sweats, acne, you name it, I had it.

I did a course of Lupron 25 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Go with the BCP's.

If you end up doing the Lupron, do it post haste so you can complete it during the winter.

No
After 10 years of horrible periods and iron infusions for anemia, I have decided to have an endometrial ablation. My doctor said she wants to thin the uterine lining as much as possible to have a better result.

She has given me 2 choices: go on birth control pills, which I had horrible side effects from in the past, extreme mood swings where my family was concerned about my mental health and intense panic attacks. Also severe acne and weight gain...or Lupron shots, which put you into immediate menopause and all that comes with it.

This would only be for 2 months but if you were me, which would you choose? Also if you have had an endometrial ablation, feel free to post your experience.
Not sure why you would need the pills or shot after the ablation...I had mine 20 years ago - no problems - prior to the surgery- I was bleeding almost non-stop for 2 years...my iron level had dropped to 3 - had the surgery as out patient and went back to work a week or so later.

I had to take Lupron before a hysterectomy to shrink a fibroid that. Visit hystersisters.com It's like the DIS for women with these issues! :flower1: So many women there are in your shoes and you'll have all of them to bounce things off of. Good luck to you!:butterfly

One IUI and 6 IVFs here, all using Lupron and 5 of those using various forms of BCPs. They finally discovered that BCPs don't work for me - they give me chest pains, abdominal pains, and calf pains, not to mention the weight gain and the horrible moodiness. The Lupron...well, as small as that needle is, I developed a needle phobia from it. I was fine at first, but around the 4th IVF the shots started to hurt and I bled every time. But that's just me :) The ONLY side effect I had was hot flashes, which weren't great, but not terrible in the grand scheme.

Actually, I am not worried about the actual shot at all, just the effects of it. I begged for a hysterectomy, but my doctor won't do it, even though I have fainted 2 times this year from severe anemia. My iron level is 2, and I am starting iron infusions next week.

Oh wow, I'm in the same boat (iron not quite that low--yet--though) and my doctor said she'd approve the hysterectomy if I chose that over ablation. In all the research I did, I felt like an ablation wouldn't be a good option for me, due to the high rate of people who end up needing a hysterectomy anyway down the road. Also I have some small fibroids and I hear those can make the ablation unsuccessful too. I'm still deciding, wishing I'd just go into early menopause and be done with it. Best of luck to you too. In answer to your question with those two choices, I'd say BCP. I can't take BCPs personally due to a clotting disorder

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter