Kodak is gone from the Imagination Pavilion.

\

I agree...it needs a REAL refurb (and not the shorehorn type ones they've tried previously.

I'd love to see them get Phineas and Ferb worked in there...though that might be counter to the whole Epcot vibe. But they have to do SOMETHING. The current attraction is not interesting to anyone. Too tame for teens. Too boring for the kiddies. Not nostagic or educational enough for the adults.

they don't NEED to do anything....

they ripped that place apart about 15 years ago...and other than marginal cries of outrage from diehards...nothing but a series of bad redesigns followed by a near decade of neglect to follow....

now they were granted reprieve by Michael Jackson dying...of all things...because you can't put an alleged pedophile who's alive in a movie...but you can throw him up their 6 months after the funeral. What junk

They don't NEED to do anything....because they increase their ticket prices by 3-5 percent once or twice a year...and increase hotel rooms on average 5% a year....and we keep buying the product and showing up again.

so that's that:tink:...magic, baby!

they don't NEED to do anything....

they ripped that place apart about 15 years ago...and other than marginal cries of outrage from diehards...nothing but a series of bad redesigns followed by a near decade of neglect to follow....

now they were granted reprieve by Michael Jackson dying...of all things...because you can't put an alleged pedophile who's alive in a movie...but you can throw him up their 6 months after the funeral. What junk

They don't NEED to do anything....because they increase their ticket prices by 3-5 percent once or twice a year...and increase hotel rooms on average 5% a year....and we keep buying the product and showing up again.

so that's that:tink:...magic, baby!

I guess I should have been more clear:

If they want the attraction to be at all viable, they need to do something.

If they don't...they don't. Obviously Disney never HAS to do anything, largely for the reasons you stated.

But they also have a large piece of real estate that, until Capt EO came back (and probably not long, even with that) was basically gathering dust. If that's OK with them...you're right, they need do nothing.

And it might be. They've got another pavillion gathering dust. The only difference is: Imagination is "open", so they're paying overhead to operate it.

If they don't...they don't. Obviously Disney never HAS to do anything, largely for the reasons you stated.

But they also have a large piece of real estate that, until Capt EO came back (and probably not long, even with that) was basically gathering dust. If that's OK with them...you're right, they need do nothing.

And it might be. They've got another pavillion gathering dust. The only difference is: Imagination is "open", so they're paying overhead to operate it.

It does make a cool backdrop for pictures and the backwards flowing fountain is pretty cool as well. Right now, other than air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter, that's about the entire list of its redeeming qualities.

I still don't see the appeal of putting a rarely known cartoon from the Disney Channel into Epcot as a main attraction, it's one thing for Kim Possible (which was cancelled?) into a small activity, but I can't see the global appeal of Phineas and Ferb..which I never hear about unless I'm on these boards. :confused3

Besides, there's only 2 characters which should ever be in Journey into Imagination...Dreamfinder and Figment.

Sadly...i have full confidence that no NEED has ever been felt by somebody in their own clothes at WDW or in Anaheim with a nametag....

No more characters in epcot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand your frustration with the Characters in Epcot especilly when you cannot eat in Norway without the Pricess experience. Norway was my DH favorite spot when we went san kids. Epcot has always been DH and my favorite place to visit. Luckily my kids love it too and on our two visits they have always opted to go back to Epcot over the other parks:thumbsup2 and they dont need the charaters to enjoy their time there:banana:

I would have you consider this. Epcot will have children and lots of them most of the year. Many have not been to alot of museums, historical sites other than with the shcool and have not been taught how to enjoy these things by using their imaginataions and asking CM questions as much as they could. Add to this a chilss prepensity for meltdowns and the characters are a godsend. They offer parents a place to get the kids away from the other adults. My DD 5 really enjoyed her time in France with Marie and I feel it made her more relaxed when we then went to the movie in France. She got a little kids stuff in and was ready to be a big kid. Just like the kids spots do. Most kids under ten would be twice as grumpy without these things and wouldn't that be fun to listen to:laughing:

Just a thought.

Scup,

I hear what you're saying...but wasn't this inevitable? Advertising as we know it has changed so much in the last 15 years that i actually wonder why they bother to pay for ads at all. I'll i have to do is go on google and punch 25 keystrokes and i have access to any product i want by the thousands....

billboards, signs, and sponsorship could be going away permenantly.

I could think of a new sponsor that would benefit from WDW...Winkflash. It would be a perfect place to invest advertising bucks....but...as we know, WDW wants you to buy their pictures at a nice 300% over retail markup...

Kodak probably decided 'no mas' when the demand for 35mm film went from probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of rolls per month at WDW to zero in about 5 years....that being 5-8 years ago.

It would have been nice had they never had kodak in the first place...as we know it impacted the construction of EPCOT negatively

the great american sponsors:
kodak...gone
coke...gone
amex...gone
United Tech...gone
metlife...gone
GM...all but formerly gone

EPCOT is still the greatest themepark ever conceived/constructed....but it certainly isn't the "showcase for american products" that Uncle Walt talked about with his stick pointer

We were just there in May and went to Club Cool is that gone now??

No, Club Cool is still there, but Coca Cola isn't sponsoring any other major attractions in WDW.

FYI they do sponsor Space Mountain in Tokyo Disneyland

I understand your frustration with the Characters in Epcot especilly when you cannot eat in Norway without the Pricess experience. Norway was my DH favorite spot when we went san kids. Epcot has always been DH and my favorite place to visit. Luckily my kids love it too and on our two visits they have always opted to go back to Epcot over the other parks:thumbsup2 and they dont need the charaters to enjoy their time there:banana:

I would have you consider this. Epcot will have children and lots of them most of the year. Many have not been to alot of museums, historical sites other than with the shcool and have not been taught how to enjoy these things by using their imaginataions and asking CM questions as much as they could. Add to this a chilss prepensity for meltdowns and the characters are a godsend. They offer parents a place to get the kids away from the other adults. My DD 5 really enjoyed her time in France with Marie and I feel it made her more relaxed when we then went to the movie in France. She got a little kids stuff in and was ready to be a big kid. Just like the kids spots do. Most kids under ten would be twice as grumpy without these things and wouldn't that be fun to listen to:laughing:

Just a thought.

That's because Disney has made the decision to move away from attracting people without little kids to its parks. Now they've decided all they want to do is try to go after families with little kids and have to modify all of the WDW parks to suit that. It's sad for the rest of us.

I wouldn't mind if Norway had at least ONE meal that adults could eat at without princess dining and a dumbed down menu

I can't see the global appeal of Phineas and Ferb..which I never hear about unless I'm on these boards. :confused3

You or I may not watch Phineas and Ferb or even know what they look like (although I do now) but the show is absolutely huge among kids. It does monster numbers on TV.

I don't think they should build a major attraction around them -- but I could certainly understand a presence for them.

It would have been nice had they never had kodak in the first place...as we know it impacted the construction of EPCOT negatively
Maybe I missed something someplace but I've never read anything about a negative impact on the construction of EPCOT by Kodak. Could you please provide some insight into this.

I was at JIIWF today. The Sign outside the attraction still says Sponsored by Kodak.

However, in the store I noted six new Figment T-Shirts and some other new Figment merchandise.

However, one particulat T-Shirt stood out. I wonder (hope) that it is a harbringer of things to come.

scan00021.jpg

I still don't see the appeal of putting a rarely known cartoon from the Disney Channel into Epcot as a main attraction, it's one thing for Kim Possible (which was cancelled?) into a small activity, but I can't see the global appeal of Phineas and Ferb..which I never hear about unless I'm on these boards. :confused3

Besides, there's only 2 characters which should ever be in Journey into Imagination...Dreamfinder and Figment.

And what, prey tell, did Dreamfinder and Figment start out as? What were they prior to inclusion in the attraction?

And what are they now? Other than on these boards, and amongst the Disneyphiles?

I'd garner that Phineas and Ferb (which, FYI, is not "rarely known"...if you've got kids between 6-14 in your house, you've likely heard of it. It's been one of the, if not the, top rated animated show for that demographic) could gain a similar status, if installed in the attraction. And they're a perfect fit, in terms of overall theme.

And I'm not saying Figment and Dreamfinder don't have a place in the attraction. They would.

No more characters in epcot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the thing: Journey into Imagination has ALWAYS had characters. Maybe not members of the traditional Disney pantheon, but Figment and Dreamfinder are definitely "characters". And the attraction, even when it was decent, has always been aimed squarely at the young, and young at heart.

I'm not proposing Disney add Goofy to Mission:Space or Mickey to Test Track. I'm proposing you add DIFFERENT characters (and probably in addition to) to an attraction that, really, already has them.

And the discussion is sort of a moot point anyway. Disney isn't going to do it.

Here's the thing: Journey into Imagination has ALWAYS had characters. Maybe not members of the traditional Disney pantheon, but Figment and Dreamfinder are definitely "characters". And the attraction, even when it was decent, has always been aimed squarely at the young, and young at heart.

I'm not proposing Disney add Goofy to Mission:Space or Mickey to Test Track. I'm proposing you add DIFFERENT characters (and probably in addition to) to an attraction that, really, already has them.

And the discussion is sort of a moot point anyway. Disney isn't going to do it.

Sorry that doesn't work Figment was designed for Epcot, what they did to the Seas by adding Nemo was kill the theme and destroy yhe pavilion.

There are three other parks to put the charactersin.

WHY THE HECK DOES EVERY ATTRACTION HAVBE TO INVOLVE A dISNEY CHARACTER?????????????

Sorry that doesn't work Figment was designed for Epcot, what they did to the Seas by adding Nemo was kill the theme and destroy yhe pavilion.

There are three other parks to put the charactersin.

WHY THE HECK DOES EVERY ATTRACTION HAVBE TO INVOLVE A dISNEY CHARACTER?????????????

It doesn't really matter WHO the characters were designed for. They're still characters. They're all Disney owned IP's.

You're splitting hairs, based on your bias for traditionalism. But the objection doesn't really ring true when there are ALREADY characters that are part of the attraction. It makes no logical sense to say "These Disney characters are OK to use, but these aren't" based off some artificial litmus test.

And again, I'm not suggesting EVERY attraction involve Disney characters (though, really, it IS Walt DISNEY World). I'm suggesting this ONE attraction, which already involves characters, incorporate different ones. Ones that actually closely fit the theme and tone of the current attraction.

On the Seas revamp, I agree and disagree. I liked the old pavillion, probably more than I like the current incarnation. That being said, my kids would disagree. They like the current version much better. I don't think I would say they RUINED it...but they changed it to appeal to a different audience.

If there's one thing every Disney theme park fan should learn, it's that things always change. Some of the changes you like, some you don't. But if you're going to fight for "no change" or for "traditionalism" at the theme parks...you're fighting a losing battle.

And, again, it's a moot point. I don't work for Disney. Disney isn't going to do this. And you're certainly not going to change MY mind that it's a good idea. I doubt I'll change yours, either. Guess we have to agree to disagree on this one.

It doesn't really matter WHO the characters were designed for. They're still characters. They're all Disney owned IP's.

You're splitting hairs, based on your bias for traditionalism. But the objection doesn't really ring true when there are ALREADY characters that are part of the attraction. It makes no logical sense to say "These Disney characters are OK to use, but these aren't" based off some artificial litmus test.

And again, I'm not suggesting EVERY attraction involve Disney characters (though, really, it IS Walt DISNEY World). I'm suggesting this ONE attraction, which already involves characters, incorporate different ones. Ones that actually closely fit the theme and tone of the current attraction.

On the Seas revamp, I agree and disagree. I liked the old pavillion, probably more than I like the current incarnation. That being said, my kids would disagree. They like the current version much better. I don't think I would say they RUINED it...but they changed it to appeal to a different audience.

If there's one thing every Disney theme park fan should learn, it's that things always change. Some of the changes you like, some you don't. But if you're going to fight for "no change" or for "traditionalism" at the theme parks...you're fighting a losing battle.

And, again, it's a moot point. I don't work for Disney. Disney isn't going to do this. And you're certainly not going to change MY mind that it's a good idea. I doubt I'll change yours, either. Guess we have to agree to disagree on this one.

What Nemo did was make the entire pavilion no longer fit in FW. There is no defending it and there is no way you can say that Nemo fits the theme of FW.

Also I have seen the plans for JII 4.0 there are several options and they all invovle Figment and most involve Dream Finder.

Slapping new characters like Nemo and the plans (thank gogd they were shot down) for Monters INc. in UOE is what I call the dumbing down of Epcot.

Explain to me how adding cartoon characters to the pavilions follows Epcots mission statement.

To all who come to this place of joy, hope and friendship, welcome.
Epcot Center is inspired by Walt Disney's creative genius. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May Epcot Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter