King Ludwig's Castle

Cyrano

DIS Veteran
This table service restaurant is located in the Disney Village.
It is one of the newest offerings and it takes its inspiration from a German medieval castle.
There is a small out door seating area, which is also popular for those wanting to sample a liquid refreshment :)
Inside the restaurant have tables as well as a number of booths that are ideal for a family.
Sausage and sauerkraut feature highly

Link to other restaurant reviews :)

Okay as previously announced we are hoping the boards can help :goodvibes If you have photographs of the restaurant and the food. If you have eaten here and can write a review. Even a couple of lines of what you liked, things to watch out for.. would be appreciated if you posted below :)

ahem, guess who's planning on eating here soon? :rolleyes: the bavarian who likes food...... :teeth: where did you all think that I would be eating???

can't promise a review before December, but will definitely post here if you like when I return!

The inside of this is very well themed :goodvibes and you could be mistaken for thinking you are in a big castle banqueting hall.
The menu is pretty varied. We would give a :thumbsup2 to the Oktoberfest chicken and the salads. DH and I tried the stew (a bit watery ) and the potato bake (a bit salty) so we wouldn't go for them again.
Childrens menu was 11€ and at certian times children eat for either 3€ if they are dining with an adult eating off the set menu (which I think was about 25€). For this the children get a meal, sweet and drink in a themed cup they can take home. Our menfolk particularly enjoyed the litre beers you could get here which are BOGOF at Happy Hour.

We went at the time when chldren eat free with a paying adult, therefore only having to pay for one child's meal.
It was our worst meal of the holiday. Children's food was freezing and it took 2 reminders to get a replacement.
The restaurant was not busy and many other dinners were having problems.
Diane had the steak while I had a sausage and sauerkraut.. nothing special :guilty:

Then it was over to King Ludwig’s for a meal. We had read some not so good comments about this restaurant but as we would like to try and eat everywhere eventually we decided to give it a go, especially as the theming looks great.

45513327_Disneyland_Resort_Paris_August_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

45513326_Disneyland_Resort_Paris_August_2006_450_x_600_.jpg

Well, we are so glad we went. The setting is fantastic, I felt as if I was in the midst of a Chronicles of Narnia filmset!

45513113_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

45513114_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

45513116_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

45513117_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

The portions are huge, even by Disney standards ~ when I saw the size of the portions on another table I decided to skip the starter. Bryan had the small chicken Caesar Salad King Ludwig followed by the Operahouse Stroganoff . I also had the stroganoff. Samantha had chicken with pasta (Prinzregent Pasta), Danielle had cheeseburger and fries, and Francesca had chicken nuggets and fries. Unfortunately my photos of the main courses came out blurred but I do have a couple of the desserts.

Danielle and Francesca had chocolate mousse. I can't find my receipt but I am sure their meals were amazing value, something like 3 or 4 euros.

Bryan and Samantha chose the Jester’s Sundae

45513112_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

whilst I had lemon pie. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm :teeth:

45513111_DLRP_Christmas_2005_D_and_Aug_2006_600_x_450_.jpg

The food was absolutely delicious, even better washed down with lager! :drinking1 Our server was great fun and I would definitely recommend coming here.

I don't have a reservation no. in my diary so I'm sure you can't book. We went quite early, about 7pm, and were seated straight away. It was fairly quiet in there at that time although it was getting busier as we left.

Well, I will admit that I was wavering as to whether to eat here, but Elaine's review convinced me that it was worth a try.

I will admit that I was somewhat put off by the lacklustre exterior of the building, as well as the gift shop which sold what appeared to be dragon themed merchandise (ok, I'll admit that I was expecting kitschy bavarian souvenirs and German chocolate..... :teeth: )

Also, note that the menu posted outside is only a small portion of the full menu on offer - a few times I walked on by as I didn't realize this.

I finally ended up eating a weekday lunch here last week, and let me just say...WOW. As you can tell, I am German, but not a huge fan of German food except for some dishes my mother and grandmother make (in fact, when I moved back to Bavaria the first words out of my mother's mouth were 'but what are you going to EAT?!' and she asks the same question every time I vacation there)

The menu is actually quite varied and authentic, offering dishes for various corners of the country. But of course, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak!

I ordered a rather odd combination of a Pretzel and Flammenchevre. Both were delivered together, most likely as my server had no idea how I wanted to eat the items (ie which was the appetizer)

The pretzel was very authentic; not too hard, not too soft. And the house specialty mustard - WELL! I don't normally eat mustard and don't like it on my pretzel, but this was a sweetish mustard which was amazing. I rate the pretzel and mustard 9 out of 10.

The Flammenchevre was similarly good - piping hot, thin and crispy, and very tasty. (For those who don't know, it's a sort of ethnic pizza, with a thin crispy pancake like crust, goat cheese and a few veggies on top) I don't like American style pizza and often crave this type of dish. Sometimes pesto and garlic can make it too salty, but the combination was just right. The Flammenchevre gets a 9.5 out of 10.

I didn't have room for dessert, sadly, but as I had hoped to find Kaiserschmarren on the menu but didn't, it wasn't a great hardship (I think that they make some form of ice cream sundae which uses the pancake dough, but since I don't eat ice cream I chose to pass on this option)

Service was minimal. I can honestly say that the food was 'plunked' down on the tables, both by the servers and the manager (who was actually working very hard on the floor that day). I did not have the usual Bierstein with cutlery on my table; the Italian gentleman at the next table was very amused by my servers gruff delivery of the food, and my attempt to find cutlery with no assistance from the staff. I think that the servers here don't speak much other than French, and while my French is very good they had no interest in conversing with me or any of the other guests that I could tell. Not bad service, just indifferent, and not bad enough to impact the meal.

Most of the diners were Italian; there was one British family near me (looking for fish and chips :goodvibes )

The restaurant is a large open area on two levels; restrooms are on the 2nd level. I can imagine that it does get quite noisy as even 1/3 full it was noisy during the lunch service. Ambience gets a 6/10 from me - a little kitschy and noisy, but not unlike many places you will find in Bavaria in tourist areas.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable experience and I will definitely return!

Ware Bears said:
Hi Elaine!
Was this pic on the walls? If so anyone know if I'm right in thinking its 'Konigsschloss Neuschwanstein'?
Looks familiar, from a trip I took to Germany nearly 9 years ago :faint: Gosh time has flown by!

Yes, it's Neuschwanstein - been there MORE than a few times in my lifetime! :goodvibes

Got too say that I love this place. First time we ate there it had only just opened, in fact they were still painting the outside of the building. We both had pasta, mine had chicken in and DGF had sausage in. We were both full off this alone so we didn't have any desert.

Second time we went I went for the steak, Claire had (we think) the same type of pasta. Once again very good, although the jacket potato that came with my steak was a little solid.

Got to give a special mention to the lager and especially to the Weis Bier, a shandy made with lager and cherry coke. I'd happily have sat there and drank it all night and I heartily recommend it.

My review and pics (April 2008)

Decoration and vibe: 7/10 I like this Bavarian and German decoration, really beautiful!
Food: 7/10 What we took was great but not extraodinary! Tasty and good.
Service: 5/10 The waiters were not smiling and we were served after a long time. Moreover, there were not anymore bretzels and small sausages and it was only 12.30!
General Appreciation : 7/10

Decoration & vibe:
p1060914pf6.jpg

p1060928dx0.jpg

Menu (entree+dessert)
Entree: I think it was Castle Steack (mmmmmm !)
p1060930ao9.jpg

Dessert: Jester's sundae (I love Ben & Jerry's)
p1060931ux6.jpg

How have I been so many times and never, ever noticed a German Restuarant!!!

I'll be certain to check this out in October

I've been. Didn't like it much, tbh. Felt very fake and false and plasticky. Didn't have any class, if you know what I mean. Wait staff were surly, service was slow, and food wasn't up to much either.

I've been. Didn't like it much, tbh. Felt very fake and false and plasticky. Didn't have any class, if you know what I mean. Wait staff were surly, service was slow, and food wasn't up to much either.

But after happy hour's BOGOF on litre German lager all will be better with the World :lmao:

In all honesty after reading some of the reviews I might give it a miss. I love German food and really don't want to be dissapointed, maybe I'll just eat all the German food I can when I got to Germany on the 28th August and experience other places at DLRP

We've been here a few times.
I love the pictures, never been on the other side, we were upstairs the first time. The interior and decor are lovely, the food is alright, I remember finishing my plate. We tend to eat here on our winter trips, when the park closes early.
Its lovely, but not something I would make a special effort to leave the park to go to the village for

I could be tempted to eat here just off the strength of the desserts on the DLRP food guide.... However, I'm not sure there'd be a lot I could eat off the main menu....I noticed an earlier review saying that the full menu isn't on display outside the restaurant, so is there any more sorts of poultry and/or fish dishes on the full menu?? Also, can you order starters as a main course??

Just wondering if anybody can help on this question.....? We're wanting to keep a few options open for our forthcoming trip!

Bob xoxoxox

Is this another assignment for me?! ;)

I may have said that the full menu is not posted outside; I was surprised to find more choices inside. BUT I am a veggie so didn't look at the meat/fish items. If I remember this project I will try and find an answer as well....

I'm actually dying for some Kaiserschmarrn and I believe that they serve it here. I won't be back in Austria for a few weeks, so perhaps a detour for dessert and a check of the inside menu may be in order

I do know the answer to the starters question - I have ordered a Brezel and Flammenchevre in past from here; both are starters or snacks on the menu

Edited that I went back and read my original review on page one - sadly the Kaiserschmarrn doesn't sound authentic but I wonder if I order it without ice cream? Hmm.. something to consider. I was in Alsace a few weeks ago and didn't manage to eat any Flammekuche while I was there. This may need to be a dinner stop instead now for Flammenchevre and a modified Kaiserschmarrn....

Is this another assignment for me?! ;)

I may have said that the full menu is not posted outside; I was surprised to find more choices inside. BUT I am a veggie so didn't look at the meat/fish items. If I remember this project I will try and find an answer as well....

I'm actually dying for some Kaiserschmarrn and I believe that they serve it here. I won't be back in Austria for a few weeks, so perhaps a detour for dessert and a check of the inside menu may be in order

I do know the answer to the starters question - I have ordered a Brezel and Flammenchevre in past from here; both are starters or snacks on the menu

If you wish to accept it! ;)

Seriously, you're already doing me a huge favour, so don't worry about it. If you happen to notice, thats fine, but don't go out of your way!!

The Flammenchevre sounds really lovely.... Yum Yum!!

Bob xoxoxox

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter