Kids with ADHD

garnwr32229

Mouseketeer
so this is a more in general question. How do you get your child with adhd to not be so loud??? We have been working on this for what seems like forever. We have volume reminders all over the house. Reminder signs. We try using our whisper voices when talking to him so he does the same. But he is just SO loud especially in the morning and evening. Once he takes his meds he evens out. But what am I going to do with him in 139days when we are at a hotel with paper thin walls?!?! Hope he is just too exhausted and by the time he wakes up we are out the door and so tired he just crashes when we get back? Is that how it is with any of your adhd kids? We rarely stay in a hotel and if we do it for maybe a night when driving to my in-laws. And comforting words would be great.

I wish I had a good answer for you as I have on of these children. I think only time, constant reminding and demonstrating can help. Your child is who he is and he probably is not nearly as loud as you think he is. Just know that he will probably be exhausted by bed time from all the stimulation and be ready to sleep.

so this is a more in general question. How do you get your child with adhd to not be so loud??? We have been working on this for what seems like forever. We have volume reminders all over the house. Reminder signs. We try using our whisper voices when talking to him so he does the same. But he is just SO loud especially in the morning and evening. Once he takes his meds he evens out. But what am I going to do with him in 139days when we are at a hotel with paper thin walls?!?! Hope he is just too exhausted and by the time he wakes up we are out the door and so tired he just crashes when we get back? Is that how it is with any of your adhd kids? We rarely stay in a hotel and if we do it for maybe a night when driving to my in-laws. And comforting words would be great.
one of the reasons we like the FW Cabins no shared walls. we also use cabins in a campground when traveling a lot for same reason

Parents are often tempted to give their child a break from ADHD meds on school breaks/vacation, especially if they have side effects. It is often best to keep the child’s meds consistent over break.

Have you considered it may be a sensory thing? Many ADHD kids have sensory issues. My youngest DS - borderline ADHD (my oldest, adult son, definitely ADHD!) - was very sensitive to sounds. He could hear things and distinguish between tones that were virtually imperceptible to us. He would seek out loud sounds, like having a higher volume on his headphones, and was very loud himself. And honestly, listening to loud music helped him to a degree. Now, I’m not recommending that. But, maybe you could talk to an occupational therapist who specializes in sensory issues for some recommendations. Also, just so you know, my son, who is 11, has since evened out in terms on seeking loud sounds. He is still extremely perceptive of sounds, but he is no longer the loudmouth he used to be. :teeth:

Parents are often tempted to give their child a break from ADHD meds on school breaks/vacation, especially if they have side effects. It is often best to keep the child’s meds consistent over break.
Yes for my son we keep him on his meds year round. He doesn’t get a break as he just does better overall on them.
However my daughter just has inattentive adhd(or add) so she only takes her meds on school days. We give her breaks on the weekends and during breaks.

Have you considered it may be a sensory thing? Many ADHD kids have sensory issues. My youngest DS - borderline ADHD (my oldest, adult son, definitely ADHD!) - was very sensitive to sounds. He could hear things and distinguish between tones that were virtually imperceptible to us. He would seek out loud sounds, like having a higher volume on his headphones, and was very loud himself. And honestly, listening to loud music helped him to a degree. Now, I’m not recommending that. But, maybe you could talk to an occupational therapist who specializes in sensory issues for some recommendations. Also, just so you know, my son, who is 11, has since evened out in terms on seeking loud sounds. He is still extremely perceptive of sounds, but he is no longer the loudmouth he used to be. :teeth:
Yes! He is a sensory seeker. Loves input into his body. Vacuums for me, loves mowing the grass, carrying laundry baskets up/down the stairs, shoveling the snow, riding his bike. Chewing gum, sour stuff, hot/spicy stuff, vibrating tooth brush. He hears EVERYTHING. I didn’t think about how that could be related to the sensory input. I’ll see if he will use head phones.

I wish I had a good answer for you as I have on of these children. I think only time, constant reminding and demonstrating can help. Your child is who he is and he probably is not nearly as loud as you think he is. Just know that he will probably be exhausted by bed time from all the stimulation and be ready to sleep.
At home I’ve excepted it. He is loud it’s not going to change over night. But I was reading all these people complaining about people being too loud at the resorts and all I thought was omg they will be talking about us when we go.
I choose pop bc it seemed more kid friendly and it was one of the cheaper ones

But I was reading all these people complaining about people being too loud at the resorts and all I thought was omg they will be talking about us when we go.
I choose pop bc it seemed more kid friendly and it was one of the cheaper ones

Please try not to worry too much about this. There are so many different types of loud. The joyful loudness of an excited child is very different from a late night argument between adults which is also different from adolescents chanting and cheering. A majority of people will be up early to head to the parks and many families with small children have white noise apps or sound machines to help mitigate unexpected noise from other rooms. If you end up with a connecting room shove a towel or two against the bottom to dampen sound.

Please try not to worry too much about this. There are so many different types of loud. The joyful loudness of an excited child is very different from a late night argument between adults which is also different from adolescents chanting and cheering. A majority of people will be up early to head to the parks and many families with small children have white noise apps or sound machines to help mitigate unexpected noise from other rooms. If you end up with a connecting room shove a towel or two against the bottom to dampen sound.
Thanks. We are actually requesting a connecting room with my parents.

I feel your pain. DD7 has sensory issues and is very loud. The strange thing is, she is loud, but is very bothered by loud noises. We can't even watch the fireworks shows because she will literally be writhing on the ground in panic. We have noise canceling headphones for her to wear around the parks in case the sounds get to overwhelming for her.

I don't really have any advice for you since I don't know you or your child, but just know that you're not alone in managing behavior. And don't worry too much about other people think. Do your best to be considerate of others, of course, don't let it stress you out.

I respectfully disagree with the idea that joyful loudness is accepted by all. Many folks vacation despite serious illnesses like cancer; they NEED their sleep, whether it’s morning or afternoon. We were one of those families. Your child, and others, might have medical reasons why they cannot control their volume — that’s ok! But most kids can be taught to use inside voices because you never know who’s napping.

We were at Pop this past week. My son is ADHD and he can be loud. We had days which he was very excited in the morning and we had to remind him there may be people sleeping. After a few days he quieted down when we left the room and he was often way to tired to be loud when we got back.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm only bothered by loud-ness between 11 PM and about 6 AM...and my definition of loudness is skewed by my years as a city dweller. It took me forever to learn how to sleep surrounded by the noise of the peepers, when I was used to the sounds of drunks at 4 AM, trucks, and the faint rumble of the subway...

I've stayed at Pop twice, and the things that stand out are nowhere related to how "loud" my neighbors were...now my day at sea on the Disney cruise, I had loud neighbors there...

There's a great book by Julia Cook called Decibella and her 6 Inch Voice that I use with my students. After reading a few times it really cuts down on voice volume. Honestly though, try not to stress about it. If your family is up getting ready, chances are, most people around you are too. They likely will not be bothered at all by an excited kiddo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter