Kids Opening Stateroom Doors!

That has the opposite effect on some kids. Not worth trying it.

To the OP, I saw something this morning on the Today Show that is to use on hotel room doors to keep kids from opening them while you are in the bathroom or sleeping. I'm trying to find it now.

I was joking:)

Now that DCL has asked people to not use the over-the-door travel bags, because they were causing damage to the doors, I wonder if they'd not appreciate this type of door anchor. :confused3:confused3

I have something similar to this....and it works well. There are several different types, I know one or two types are sold at Walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-THP216-Personal-Security/dp/B00315PE3Y[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't know that! I've still got so much to learn! Thanks! This looks good, too!

The thing that scares me (us?) more is the veranda doors. I know they're heavy but I'm fairly certain my 9yo could get it open and/or my 2yo is pretty crafty. That alarm thing might work if I could figure out how to hook it up to that door. The hallway door is scary but I worry way more about the veranda. Actually considered getting a stick or something to put in the sliding tray for the veranda door, if I only knew the length.

Would those door anchors be hard to open in case of emergency? Would the alarm be safer?

The thing that scares me (us?) more is the veranda doors. I know they're heavy but I'm fairly certain my 9yo could get it open and/or my 2yo is pretty crafty. That alarm thing might work if I could figure out how to hook it up to that door. The hallway door is scary but I worry way more about the veranda. Actually considered getting a stick or something to put in the sliding tray for the veranda door, if I only knew the length.

As long as it's locked at the top, I'd think you'd be ok. It was pretty hard to turn when locked.

Hopefully someone with more recent (or more) experience will also chime in, but I believe that the verandah doors have a lock up high. I remember seeing it & thinking that was a good idea (although i was without kids at the time).

Hopefully someone with more recent (or more) experience will also chime in, but I believe that the verandah doors have a lock up high. I remember seeing it & thinking that was a good idea (although i was without kids at the time).

Yes, it does have a latch on the top - we were happy to see this when we sailed in May!

I googled "Fantasy veranda doors" and I see what you're talking about. That makes me feel wayyyy better. Thanks!
:thumbsup2

Yes the Verandah's have a lock on top and it takes a lot more force to pull the handle all the way down. to the ideas on blocking the door through if everyone were asleep how would the family members outside be able to get back in without pounding on the door loud enough to probably wake up the families in the other rooms around you? I think in examples like the original post all you can do is try to block the hallway leading to the door with like luggage or something that they'd have to climb over to get out.

Also, thanks for all the kind words...obviously I never in my wildest dreams thought that would happen! He was all tucked in falling asleep to a movie, I guess he just got scared or lonely. I love my children and grandchildren with all my heart - after losing my DS32 to brain cancer, life is even more precious to me now. I ALWAYS try to keep them all safe...it was just an accident....and accidents DO happen!

Fwiw, I've had doors on the Dream and Fantasy that were easy to open and doors that were harder to open. You might try the door yourself to see how your particular door is before you start creating an obstacle course. It may not be necessary ;). But, I understand the idea of "better safe than sorry." A parent who has been up all night worrying is not going to be a happy parent!

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot image my kid doing this at 4. It was never even on my radar. A toddler yes, but a preschool aged child? Is it common for them to purposely open up the door and wander out? My sister was a sleepwalker and I could definitely see her ending up in the hall, but I would just assume a fully awake and functioning kid of that age would know better than to leave the room without an adult. I only have the one child, but she would never have done this at that age, and according to my nither would any of my siblings. We all knew what would happen if we did and had been taught how dangerous it was. It is common for kids that age to defy those kinds of safety rules and I am just not realizing it?

Does anyone know how loud the door alarms are? Since your neighbors are so close on a cruise and the walls are kind of thin, this could be a disturbance to them. Speaking personally if I got woke up in the middle if the night by a door alarm from a child opening the door and setting off the alarm would be a little upset. Just think of the noise if every room was equipped with one of these. I'm thinking the anchor would be better

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot image my kid doing this at 4. It was never even on my radar. A toddler yes, but a preschool aged child? Is it common for them to purposely open up the door and wander out? My sister was a sleepwalker and I could definitely see her ending up in the hall, but I would just assume a fully awake and functioning kid of that age would know better than to leave the room without an adult. I only have the one child, but she would never have done this at that age, and according to my nither would any of my siblings. We all knew what would happen if we did and had been taught how dangerous it was. It is common for kids that age to defy those kinds of safety rules and I am just not realizing it?

To clarify, my two DDs had adjoining rooms, and we were not in his room, we were in my other DD's room...I really think he was trying to get back to his room, probably to find his mommy. He had just turned 4. In hindsight we should have left the adjoining door open (duh)...but it was a last minute rushy rushy kind of idea they had, so we just did what we thought was appropriate at the time. Didn't tell him "don't go out of the room" bc we wouldn't have even remotely thought it was a possibility. He didn't deliberately disobey. Throughout the cruise we 3 families were often out in the hall, going from room to room, so I'm not sure he thought much about it.

Does anyone know how loud the door alarms are? Since your neighbors are so close on a cruise and the walls are kind of thin, this could be a disturbance to them. Speaking personally if I got woke up in the middle if the night by a door alarm from a child opening the door and setting off the alarm would be a little upset. Just think of the noise if every room was equipped with one of these. I'm thinking the anchor would be better

Excellent point! Thanks for pointing that out! No alarms!!

I remember when I was a kid I was one of those awful 'runners' as soon as I was in a store I was off. My Mum says I was awful at getting out of hotel rooms and cars ( in those days no central locking ) . My two elder sisters never did this so it was quite a shock! Anyway my dad put one of those 'bangers' across hotel doors lol. Way up high so I couldn't reach. You get them in christmas crackers in the UK so when the two sides separate it makes a bang noise. He bought cheap crackers after christmas every year and kept them. When the door opened 'bang' they knew lol! These days I see thank goodness there are alarms! I am so sorry to my parents now but I don't recall it lol. They weren't bad parents I was just one of those kids! We do exist :-) poor parents and grandparents I apologise but I am still alive...

What about tying some jingle bells around the door? Not too loud but makes some kind of noise.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter