Kids 1st trip-an ever changing PTR-Update: 12-21 Itinerary 6.0 is now done

Who else wanted to come on the boys First Magical Trip to the world?:confused3

The Grandparents of course… my Mom and Dad. Oh and my Great Aunt Bea who has been like a second mother to me, my brother and sister all our lives.

:donald:My Dad- hates crowds, doesn’t like waiting in long lines, and isn’t a fan of spending money on “useless” things- oh yeah and can’t understand why in the world we need to spend so many days at WDW. So we are planning a day at the campsite for him… complete with fishing and relaxing… away from all the crowds and lines. He is a dear though; don’t let his dislikes fool you. He is a big softy, and willing to go with the flow for the sake of being with his family. This will also be my Dads first trip to the World, and last :rotfl2: he said he would join us on this first adventure for the boys, but then we can all leave him home- I bet we change his mind after we go. All time favorite Disney character- “Donald Duck.”

:tink:My Mother- loves being in the middle of all the excitement, loves traveling, and would probably spend a month in Orlando if she could afford to. We’ve always lived in California or other surrounding states on the West Coast so have only frequented Disneyland. But she did travel to Florida once before I was born and has visited WDW once. And she travels all over the US and Canada with her Gal Pals. With this being said, since I started planning trips a year ago she has gotten more excited about the idea and has also joined the Disney boards. She is now planning a second trip, and we haven’t taken the first one yet:lmao:. She wants to go for Star Wars Weekends:yoda:. All time favorite Disney movie- “Beauty and the Beast.”

Here is my Mom and Dad with us:

Withparents.jpg

:dogdance:My Great Aunt Bea- she is everyone’s Aunt Bea. Moved in with my parents when my brother was young, he had asthma and breathing problems (stopped breathing as a baby), so she moved in with my parents and was there to help watch us when my parents worked. She still lives with my parents and has helped with mine and my brother and sisters kids now. She adores my boys -especially Jack (he was the first born- out of my siblings and cousins and everyone), and is excited to see their reaction when they meet Mickey and see the BIG castle. Has been to WDW once also- she went with my Mom, excited to see all it has become and just be in the "Magic" that is Disney. All time favorite Disney movie- “Lady and the Tramp.”

Here is Aunt Bea, isn't she the cutest?

Picture458.jpg
auntbea.jpg

Up next…. The when … and the why…

The when… well we are going in March, the plan is to go for 7 to 10 days. It is still undecided exactly when we will leave (Thursday night or sometime Friday), but we will need to arrive in Florida Friday night because I’ll need to pick up the boys running packets (more on this later). Since it is the princess half marathon weekend, I don’t have plans to really start our park visits until Monday, so we will at least stay Monday thru Thursday to get in each park, but there will be discussions on staying longer into the week.

So our tentative dates of stay are March 5th – 11th

I’ve heard March is a great time of year to go weather wise. But I think the time period we are going in crowds are going to be higher, so that has me a little worried with our cast of travelers. I just have to make sure not to over plan for everyone.

The Why… well like any of us needs a why… we are going to see the Mouse, duh. But we are also going for the Princess half marathon weekend, in which I plan to run… gotta stay motivated… and keep on track with my jogs. This is why we are going in March, but the whole trip itself is just because I’ve been waiting to take my 4 yo for a couple years now and because I just LOVE Disney… don’t we all? We wouldn’t be on this board if we didn’t. Also it’s an opportunity to get together with some other family members, so it should be a fun time.
disneys-princess-half-marathon2-368.jpg
3343540050_3a951344d8.jpg

Bonus…because the princess marathon weekend falls the beginning of March, we are thinking about celebrating our b-days while we are there. DH and baby DS have b-days in February. DS Jack, my mother, and I all have b-days in March. So we may need to order a cake during our stay….
:cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:
Up next…. Pictures and events from Disneyland trips taken with Jack (the 4 yo)…

Just for entertainment sake, I added this picture of Jack in his Squirt costume (first Halloween)
jackassquirt.jpg

Our free DVD from Disney arrived and we have been having fun watching both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World parts of it. Preparing for our trip (s):banana::banana:

Also bought some BIG Nemo Pens for our trip…for autographs, not sure when I’ll give them to the boys, they’ll want to use them, they haven’t seen them yet. ($1 section of Target, I love that section they are carrying more and more Disney themed little things)

Just found your PTR and I can't wait to hear more about your trip!! Good luck going for the Princess 1/2 and I'm so excited to read all about the boy's first trip to WDW it's going to be a lot of fun I'm sure!!!!

Just found your PTR and I can't wait to hear more about your trip!! Good luck going for the Princess 1/2 and I'm so excited to read all about the boy's first trip to WDW it's going to be a lot of fun I'm sure!!!!
:welcome:
Thanks for joining my party Jen. I'm not so eloquent in my writing as you, but I'll try to keep you entertained with cute pictures;)

Tonight Mom and I had a private DVD viewing party: we watched the planning video together after I got baby DS to sleep, that was fun, parts of it just bring tears to my eyes, I can't wait to make my kids dreams come true, also picked up a few more items today for our trip, Joey got a little Nemo notebook to go with the BIG Nemo pens, Jack got Cars pencils, to use on our drive- and at the Disneystore they both got cell phones (Jack got cars, Joey got Einsteins), not for the trip, just for fun

Ok, I wanted to get onto this update because my next planning question needs help and advice from you regular travelers

Jack took his first trip to Disneyland in December 2006, it was our Christmas gift from one of my cousins. On my side of the family trips to Disney is just part of life (we have all been going since we were babies) so he understood how much I wanted to take my little man, and gave us this great gift (my husbands side thinks trips to DL and WDW are a one time thing and couldn’t understand why we were taking him when he was so young and wouldn't remember:confused3). We went the week after Christmas with my cousin; on this trip we only visited Disneyland, not California Adventure. It was also my DH’s first trip to Disneyland. Being that it was Christmas break, the park was very crowded and we waited in long lines as you can imagine, Jack did ok and we made sure to head back to our hotel for a nap.
Picture001.jpg
with his Dash doll-a Christmas gift
Picture011.jpg
wearing his special Christmas ears given by my Best Friend for a Christmas gift-she knew we were going to DL
Picture012.jpg
this is right after you enter DL
He hated character interactions and screamed every time except when we met Mickey. Still cries with Santa every time too, including those pictures as well, baby DS also cried with Santa this past year, I’m hoping both will like character interactions on our trip, but won’t push it.
Picture028.jpg
cried with Pluto
Picture027.jpg
cried with Santa
Picture036.jpg
didn't cry with Mickey, but wouldn't leave my arms

Here is our history with Santa:
jacksanta.jpg
santa2007.jpg
jackchristmassanta2008.jpg

And here was baby DS first interaction with Santa:
joeyfirstchristmas.jpg
(should I worry about character interactions now or later :lmao:)
Picture022.jpg
This was our fake Dumbo ride since the line was way too long
Also wanted to include a few things that I don’t think are at WDW, here is Tom Sawyer Island:
Picture031.jpg

Here is Mickey climbing the Matterhorn and the Matterhorn by itself (growing up whoever spotted the matterhorn first on our way to DL got a quarter- would a quarter still work today:rotfl:).
Picture014.jpg
Picture020.jpg

And I love this picture of Walt, the Mouse, and the castle:
Picture018.jpg

It's a Small World in Disneyland is a sight to see, especially at Christmas time:
Picture035.jpg

And then here is the last trip I took with DS to DL in Nov 2007, we went to California for another wedding, I was pregnant with baby DS, this is the only picture I could find for now (DS didn’t cry with any of the characters this trip but wanted to be in my arms):
IMG_0039.jpg

Will try and find more from DL and our honeymoon in WDW (all our pictures are still in storage from the move).

Up next, (this is where you're help comes in) where should we stay?

Your Aunt Bea is way too cute. I want an Aunt Bea! :lmao: Your pictures are great and I think you have the right attitude about the character greets. Keep trying but don't push. :thumbsup2

My daughter has never had an issue with Disney characters but I have plenty of crying Santa pictures when she was younger. :rotfl: When my DS4 is nervous about a character, we find standing to the side and watching for a bit helps him see its OK and then if he's still nervous, he stays in DH's arms. The only one he hasn't quite gotten comfortable around is the Beast.

Love the Squirt and Dash pictures!!

popcorn::

Your Aunt Bea is way too cute. I want an Aunt Bea!

Love the Squirt and Dash pictures!!

You mean you love the pictures where he is actually smiling :rotfl2: yeah his pictures are so cute when he smiles

Aunt Bea will be your Aunt Bea too, she is everyone's Aunt Bea, if she met you she would tell you to call her Aunt Bea:cutie:

Isn't that funny about Santa, I've heard that from others that their kid cry with Santa but not with characters...so one can hope:upsidedow

Awww loved the pictures and I'm not sure what to tell you about character interactions...who knows maybe this trip he will love them LOL!!!!

Love that you have been to Disneyland I would love to go there someday!!!!!

Where should we stay? This is where your help comes in.....and what I'm hoping to figure out by the end of July so when "official package rates" come out in August I'll be ready to "officially" book everything.

I had been waiting for the list of “special hotels” for princess marathon weekend to be released. They were suppose to be released in June, but didn’t get released until recently. We could really stay in any resort we want, but these “special hotels” have special buses for the ½ marathon weekend events.

I was originally planning AS Movies because of the fun characters around the resort (mainly Woody and Buzz:thumbsup2). But then thinking about buses to the parks I was thinking this would just not do and was leaning toward Pop (which is not on the list:confused3), as I have heard many good things about this resort and know they have their own buses where the All Star resorts share buses. Now really I would like to stay at POFQ, but would rather have the money for spending on the extras.

So all the All Star resorts ($110/night) and both POFQ and POR ($160/night) are on the list for the weekend. Now to choose; I ran the numbers several different ways, I ended up with seven different pricing scenarios- some leaving us only at AS Movies, some leaving us strictly at POFQ and several doing split stays between the two resorts.

I like the AS Movies because of the fun décor which having two kids under five is very appealing, plus it is a value resort which is nice for extra spending in other places. My Jack would especially get a kick out of the Woody and Buzz buildings if we could get a room there. He loved seeing the pictures on the computer and squealed with delight when he saw the huge replicas.
dscn2848.jpg
DW_Movies_AndysRoom300.jpg
dscn2837.jpg

POFQ is appealing because of the water slide, it’s a smaller resort, beignets, just gorgeous atmosphere, oh yeah did I mention the beignets. Staying here would be more for me, though also keeping Jack in mind I think he would do well with it being a more intimate setting.
ORL_DPOF-exter-1.jpg
frenchquarterpool.jpg

This brought us to the idea of the split stay- Friday thru Sunday of our stay we really don’t plan on visiting the parks due to the ½ marathon events and other things we want to do. We would do a resort only reservation for two or three nights. This would give us time to enjoy the resort surroundings, the water slide for Jack if he is up for it, and a more relaxing start to our vacation.
Then we would move into the AS Movies with our five day park tickets and dining plan (still another ?). And DH and I discussed that we are driving on this trip so if buses did become an issue we will have our van. And this would allow the boys some time in this “fun” themed resort and we would be spending most of our day in the parks. I think the photo opportunities around this resort would be fun too.

Here are a few of the scenarios that we narrowed it down to:
*Scenario 1
2 nights in POFQ
6 nights in ASM
5 day base ticket
6 night dining

**Scenario 2
3 nights in POFQ
5 nights in ASM
5 day base ticket
5 night dining

*This option puts us in the ASMovies on Sunday which would allow us to wake up and head straight to the parks on Monday morning
**This gives us more time to explore POFQ and POR
***Both these two options would leave us with two or three days of meals out of pocket, which we may bring some food since we will have a fridge and micro in POFQ (correct me if this is incorrect, but I think it’s included). And also do CS and maybe a non-dining plan restaurant in DTD or at a resort.

Scenario 3
8 nights ASM
5 day base ticket
8 night dining

****This option leaves us in one resort, but may give us more dining credits than we would use, though if we get them we’ll find a way to use them.

I tried to find the rates for the dining plan, does anyone know the rate per chid and per adult, it is per night of stay not per day, right?

Up next …. food issues, dining plan, and restaurant choices…. (this will be in a week or so after we get an idea of what we want to do for hotel)

Awww loved the pictures and I'm not sure what to tell you about character interactions...who knows maybe this trip he will love them LOL!!!!

Love that you have been to Disneyland I would love to go there someday!!!!!

You would really enjoy a trip to Disneyland, I think you were the one that said you might move to Texas? or was that someone else. A move to Texas would need a vacation in DL :lmao:

and I don't remember the entrance to HM in WDW, but the one in DL is really neat

:laughing: I think the move to Texas may have been me. MinnieNurse and I were considering a Wife Swap! :lmao:

Our family has stayed at Pop, ASMovies and POR. We loved all of them for different reasons. We spent an entire day swimming at POR and definately loved the slide a lot. We didn't see a lot of ASMovies because we were too busy in the parks :sad2: but the Fantasia pool was fun too.

I've never been a fan of moving to different resorts during stays as I'd rather be settled on the first day and not have to pack and unpack, but it sounds like it would work for you on your trip. I can't remember for sure, but I think you're right about the dining, its per night of your stay.

IMO, go with scenerios 1 or 2 with a lean towards 2 so it gives you a bit more time in POFQ and you don't feel like you're packing up already to leave when you just got there!

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your input and suggestion. I was leaning towards #2, still am- though now am considering adding the dining to the first part of our trip instead of the last part. Only problem with this is then we would have to add one day tickets to our first three nights and then do brand new tickets for the other stay as well.

New idea got put on the table last night though. Since Mom is considering a trip during Star Wars weekends next year, she may upgrade to an AP, which has me thinking about upgrading me and DS to AP's as well:yay: Just need to convince DH :confused3, first to let me take the boys on a trip or two w/out him :scared1: and to pay the extra money to upgrade when we get there:rolleyes1. So we'll see how that goes and how I will persuade him. With this plan then we would just do ASMovies for the whole trip. How does that work? If I book 5 day tickets does the amount I paid for the 5 days get credited toward the AP?

I need to figure this out soon though, have to be ready to book our room next month:upsidedow

On another note I have figured out what the theme and general design of our countdown calendar will be and I have begun cutting out mickey heads (I think I have 20 cut and I'm doing 100 days). I had a brilliant idea to have a special day for the kiddos 100 days before our trip (DH has the day off, it is the day before Thanksgiving and I found some cute artwork for 100 days out, and there is a lot we can do for a fun family day), and that would be the reveal of our countdown calendar.

On another note, this Saturday there is a super sleuths event at the Disney Store that we plan to attend.:woohoo:

How does that work? If I book 5 day tickets does the amount I paid for the 5 days get credited toward the AP?

I need to figure this out soon though, have to be ready to book our room next month:upsidedow:

Please please please someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, (read I'm not positively sure) but I believe yes, the $ amount you paid for the 5 days gets credited towards the AP and I'm pretty sure I've read suggestions here and there that say to do the upgrade itself on the fifth day. It gives you the five as extra days. I THINK!

100 day countdown! You are brave! Then again, I have had May, June, July and August on my fridge to countdown but all we're doing is X-ing off the days :rotfl: .

Super sleuth events?! We love the super sleuths! Gotta check that out... thanks!! Take pictures!

i love the idea of the countdown calendar! that sounds so cute and the boys would love it. :thumbsup2

Have any of you ever sat and traced 50 Mickey heads and then cut them out? I don't know how many I've done today, but man does my hand hurt....

I still have 25 to go to get to my 100... I'll save those to do for next week

Came up with another idea for our countdown, I'm going to write something on each head... like 100 days until Dole Whip, 99 days until Chef Mickeys, 98 days until Toy Story Mania.... you get the idea. That should keep me busy until we actually get to our 100 day countdown:lmao:

Dining coming up next... I think I'll post that tomorrow, got in touch with the special diets dining person, and she sent me a bunch of paperwork to look over, which has restaurant suggestions for people with special dietary needs

and tomorrow is our super sleuth event at the Disney Store
:banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter