Kidcot To "Retire" "Duffy On A Stick"

Somehow, last trip we ended up with a Shellie Mae (Duffy's best friend) stuffed animal. Where does that fit in the 'not a real Disney character' discussion? 8-)

We love Duffy and Shelly Mae too. Have 2 Duffy's and 1 Shelly, many outfits.
I honestly never have understood why he (and she) didn't catch on here. And why he didn't catch on in Epcot of all places, seeing how he was given to Mickey for his travels, and all that.
Where better does he fit in?
Anyway, eliminating this is one is one of the tops of the disappointing decisions Disney has made, not just the Duffy on a stick but Duffy as a whole.

Somehow, last trip we ended up with a Shellie Mae (Duffy's best friend) stuffed animal. Where does that fit in the 'not a real Disney character' discussion? 8-)

yep, got her, too! They both have a special outfit, but the selections are limited in the parks for more outfits!!! I've had to go to ebay for Gelatoni stuff. My kid is desperate to go to Tokyo.

Bets IF it gets replaced with a similar thing it will go back to a pre-duffy generic mask or if they go IP then Mickey or Figment.... or they are cutting KidCot all together I know during some of my recent trips I've noticed at times certain pavilions KidCot tables being vacant

DH and I never “got” Duffy either, but once we had dd it was different- she loves those Duffy sticks. One of her favorite things. She has a beautiful stuffie of Duffy that I’m so glad we got when we did.

Oh man this one’s gonna hurt :(

Bets IF it gets replaced with a similar thing it will go back to a pre-duffy generic mask or if they go IP then Mickey or Figment.... or they are cutting KidCot all together I know during some of my recent trips I've noticed at times certain pavilions KidCot tables being vacant
On our last trip when the girls really wanted to hit every country we had the hardest time in the UK pavillion. The regular table had a sign saying it was located somewhere else, went there and the cast members sent us back to the table. Took 4 cast members before they actually came up with where the guy with the stamp was.

The first year we took the kids to Epcot (1998), each of the Kidcot stations had a different little craft to do. I can’t remember what they were now, but one was a small flowerpot that they decorated with sticky felt pieces. We really liked the masks on a stick better than Duffy, and other didn’t know we missed Perry. I hope they aren’t getting rid of it completely even though I’m between the kids and grandkids stage, so we won’t be doing Kidcot for a little while.

Last edited:
We love Duffy and Shelly Mae too. Have 2 Duffy's and 1 Shelly, many outfits.
I honestly never have understood why he (and she) didn't catch on here. And why he didn't catch on in Epcot of all places, seeing how he was given to Mickey for his travels, and all that.
Where better does he fit in?
Anyway, eliminating this is one is one of the tops of the disappointing decisions Disney has made, not just the Duffy on a stick but Duffy as a whole.

Yep to that, I think Disney underestimated how popular Duffy was. I know a lot of people who feel the same way, here's our last picture of him....sigh;

P1010225edit.jpg

And we have to content ourselves with this;

IMG_2726_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
There were "pre-Duffy" hidden Mickey bears prior to them making him a permanent full-fledged character. It's my bet that they sold well enough that they took the plunge. And, yes, Duffy caught on big-time in the Asian parks where there are also Duffy's friends available, and people carry them around in the parks.
They have Duffy photo spots with little fold down benches all over Disney Tokyo.

We have a stuffed Duffy at home and several of the kidcot duffy's but my kids preferred the Perry or masks that used to be handed out. Personally I think over the years the interaction has gotten so limited at the kidcot stations that the fun has been taken out of it for the most part anyways...And yeah, never really got the Duffy thing.

Another vote for the masks! My college-aged daughter still has hers. It was one of our best souvenirs. The "charms" were all so interesting, and the interaction at each country was great. Definitely worth the effort.

We tried to have our niece and nephews color Duffy once, but they were not interested. I thought it was weird that he was not a legit Disney character.

Another vote for the masks! My college-aged daughter still has hers. It was one of our best souvenirs. The "charms" were all so interesting, and the interaction at each country was great. Definitely worth the effort.

We tried to have our niece and nephews color Duffy once, but they were not interested. I thought it was weird that he was not a legit Disney character.
Of course he is. He belongs to Mickey, was a gift from Minnie. How much more legit does he need to be?

We were there in late May and my daughter and her friend made it their mission to do get all the stamps

When we were there in early February, my daughter wanted to get all the stamps. Since it was our last day, she and I made a "walk around the world" to get the stamps that we had missed. It took us about 40 minutes and we were walking fast! But, its one of the few good memories from our last trip, and one that I will cherish.

I recently found one of the masks they used to hand out, they had not only stamps but dangly paper charms from all the countries. My daughter had been hoarding it for the past 10 years or so.

My boys still had theirs too! I recently packed them up to keep with some of their school stuff. The CM's were so nice and asked them questions and told them fun facts about their home country. Some would even write the kids' names in their language. This was from 2007.
dscn3198 - Copy.jpg

They did like Duffy Bear and the story behind it. Last picture I have with DS2 was from 2010.
Disney 2010 1542 - Copy.jpg

Of course he is. He belongs to Mickey, was a gift from Minnie. How much more legit does he need to be?
I apologize. I couldn't figure out who he was. I'm not familiar with the movie.

The mask on a stick had the stamps, too, but also die cuts that represented each country. I guess I was put off when I saw the stuffed versions of Duffy for sale promoting the KidCot activity.

Disney World 380 (1).jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter