Kid alternatives at BOG?

So, I'm going to BOG for lunch once and dinner once. As I have a picky eater who can easily outlast me on the not eating for days if it's not something he can stomach, I'm not really seeing anything on the menu he would like. so I would love to hear from other parents with this issue and what they have done to help with it or what Disney has done to help. I was thinking of bringing in apple sauce cups and maybe buying something from another WDW eatery and bringing it in for him to eat but would love to hear other parent's solutions.

Thanks!

We actually did this our recent trip...no children but my mom did since she didn't want to eat at America at Epcot, she went and got suishi at Japan and brought it in. But I am not sure about BOG, I can't imagine it would be an issue. I am a very picky eater and found something on the lunch menu on our recent trip and will most likely have the Cornish hen when we have dinner there in April.

Thank you Pixarmim, I truly appreciate your kind words and know you will get back into it too! Doing these runs got me to start being healthy, starting in 5/11 when I started to train for the 1/2, losing 85 pounds in the process. So BOG is a meal I want to celebrate and I'm doing chef Mickey, garden grill and others I'm not a fan if bc my son is.

Congrats on your weight loss. I have loss 102lb in the past 2 years and my advice is to enjoy yourself on this vacation and not worry about what is going in your mouth. I do not regret this at all the past two weeks, I gained 5lb but it was the first time I relaxed in over 2 years.

I love some of the healthier items WDW restaurants have on their kid;s menu. I wish my kids would think the same. Last week we went to an Italian restaurant and my 7 yo would not eat. They had no chicken nuggets on the menu and there was "nothing good" on it. My other 2 enjoyed a good meal and my 7 yo enjoyed some bread. I think some kids just want their nuggets and fries and are afraid to try new things. MY DH didn't eat roasted peppers till he married me. LOL So no real advice except to feed him a little before and maybe he will be brave and try something new.

Ok so I lied about posting again :)

I honestly don't know why me bringing a pbj and applesauce I made at home is a health code violation. Can someone explain? I'm not well versed in health codes. My food is not going into the kitchen, just from my bag to my kids mouth.

Anyone have specific wording or info on this?

I only see where it would be a $ issue- they think they are losing $ on an entree. My point on that is, I wouldn't have paid for an entree in the first place since I know it won't be eaten by my kid.

Seriously though, not trying to beat a dead horse, i just honestly don't understand the health code issue.

It's not against the health code, don't worry. You are not allowed to send outside food into the kitchen (to be heated up for example, or an outside cake cut up). Bringing in food and putting it on the table for your kid to eat is fine. Restaurants may not care for it, but that's a separate issue.

My suggestion would be a good snack before dinner so that if tney can't offer someting your child would like your child won't be starving. Then you can easily grab something at a counter service after. This board is for questions to help people not to post nasty comments. Its hard finding resturants to please everbody and for the price of tne table service meals adults should be able to enjoy the meal for the cost! Goodl luck, I'm sure it will work out for you and your family, after all its Disney!!:cheer2:

Thanks all for your kind words and help-and amazing job with the 102 pound loss! I bow to you!

And I apologized for snapping at others. I just wish people would really think before they post as to whether what they say is going to be helpful or hurtful and try to be nice.

Personally, i think it is okay to bring in your own snacks, etc that you bring to the park from your hotel or condo but I dont agree with bringing in a full meal from another restaurant. I personally think that is tacky...and this is coming from someone with almost a dozen allergies who cant eat at most places (except in disney) I would never dream of bringing a meal from another restaurant with me to a different restaurant in the "real" world so I don't think it is acceptable in Disney.

I would either feed him something beforehand and just have some snacks for him at the restaurant or choose another place.

I think you'd have a little more problem at lunch than dinner.
At least for dinner you can put a note in your reservation regarding some dietary issue so the chef and server could accommodate you.
And disney restaurants are generally pretty good with that.

Lunch you are pretty much stuck with whatever kiosk ordering system given options.
I think for this you can either opt to what other posters have mentioned, either eat a light snack before hand or bring in at least a little something that your child can snack on in case there's absolutely no appealing option.

Good luck!

So, I'm going to BOG for lunch once and dinner once. As I have a picky eater who can easily outlast me on the not eating for days if it's not something he can stomach, I'm not really seeing anything on the menu he would like. so I would love to hear from other parents with this issue and what they have done to help with it or what Disney has done to help. I was thinking of bringing in apple sauce cups and maybe buying something from another WDW eatery and bringing it in for him to eat but would love to hear other parent's solutions.

Thanks!

Don't have actual experience but is there absolutely nothing your child can eat on the menu? Look at the entire menu.

Steak, fish, macaroni, chicken breast, rice pilaf, seasonal vegetables, fruit cup, garden salad.

That's the dinner one. I'm sure Disney can put together something in that list for your child to eat.

Lunch - turkey sandwich, pork, meatloaf, mahi mahi, macaroni, sweet potato wedges, peach applesauce, green beans, mashed sweet potatoes, broccoli florets and zucchini, finger salad. Again, mix and match - you might have to wait a while for the preparation but it can be done.

Just ask.

You could probably bring in something like applesauce cups, but from the way it is set up you will probably not want to carry in a full meal from another restaurant, even if that's allowed, and I'm not certain it is. At lunch you would have to carry that meal from the time you enter the restaurant, through ordering, until you find a place to sit down. They will not allow you to enter the restaurant and pick seats before you order. I would feed the child elsewhere first and then bring in some applesauce cups to keep him busy while the rest of you eat.

At least for dinner you can put a note in your reservation regarding some dietary issue
This is generally intended for medical or allergy issues - I personally can't recommend using it for picky children. Not talking about autistic kids or anything, but just the ones who want their chicken nuggets. Chicken nuggets are widely available - just not at Be Our Guest. It's a simple enough solution to feed the child elsewhere and buy them dessert or bring in snacks.

I think you are entitled to bring in whatever you need to bring for your family. I always have snacks and side items (sometimes even full meals) for my kiddos in the diaper bag to supplement meals if needed. We go where the menu sounds good for us as parents first and foremost and just hope for the best with the kiddos. They have a pb&j or grilled cheese, great. If not, who knows maybe she will actually try grilled chicken, or at least not make a face at it ;). Do what you have to do to have fun and all be happy! And never hurts to ask the servers what your options are. If adults can be picky and sub things in and out of their meals why is it such a big deal for kids. They won't be picky forever (we hope). I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape when we ask about accommodations for picky eaters- we parents need to stick together, we will all have our struggles, right?! :)

And that's absolutely correct. I never went without the old Cheerios in my diaper bag.

But once my son was on solid foods, he ate what the restaurant offered him. If not, he colored and drew and that was that. We fed him after or asked the server for crackers.

Will he eat french fries? My advice would be to feed him something QS before you go to your ADR. Then let him have a side and a dessert or something like that. Picky eating can be a tough thing and you're right that you shouldn't have to fight it while on vacation. I hope you guys enjoy yourselves.

Believe it or not, he hates fries-actually all forms of potatoes-just like his father. Do you know if they have ranch at BOG? If so, I can get him to eat the chicken.

That's my advice, too. If a kid's truly not hungry enough to eat what's available, I wouldn't force the issue.

I agree. If they are hungry they will eat. You could always make sure he gets a nutritious lunch/snack before you go as well.

I heard BOG has nice healthy options, looking forward to this. We typically don't buy kids meals for our DD at WDW as they are a pile of junk food, although Norway's dinner offers some good options. Sounds like you have good alternatives packed with you on your trip.

GL!

Believe it or not, he hates fries-actually all forms of potatoes-just like his father. Do you know if they have ranch at BOG? If so, I can get him to eat the chicken.

If they don't, you could pick some up at another counter service restaurant (I know I've seen those packets at other places) and bring that in. I've taken some ketchup packets from the Yorkshire Fish Shop so my husband could enjoy his sausage sandwich from the place in Germany.

The stuff in the packets are better than trying to bring in your own Ranch since that could go bad during the day.

What i used to do was feed my DS before we went and then just buy him dessert.

WDW will try to accommodate him but they can't serve what they don't have.

Bringing outside food into a TS restaurant for a child older then baby food stage isn't something you should really do

I agree mom2of2 - baby food/early eaters ok but older children shouldn't have a "carry in", same as any other establishment.

minnie mum said:
If your child can't eat what is on the menu then you need to take him somewhere where he can eat what's on the menu. There are all kinds of restaurants that serve the crappy junk food that so many parents allow their children to eat. Why must it always be up to the restaurant to come up with alternatives to children with eating problems? And I am most definitely NOT talking about those with actual, real, dietary restrictions. Flame away.

I agree with you. There are tons of places that serve typical CS food like nuggets and fries.

I also agree with others that said to feed him first somewhere else, then order dessert at BOG. But i would study the menu closely with him. there has to be something on the menu that he will eat.

I have never understood why on these threads posters have to get so judgemental. Op has a picky eater. She knows it, do you think she doesn't wish her child was (presumably) just like yours and perfect? Oh yeah, of course she does. Give it a rest.

Sorry for my snarkiness, but every single thread it takes about two posts until it begins.. And I've been lurking here long enough to notice, sometimes it's the same people flaming on every picky eater thread.

Op, as you can probably tell, I have a picky eater too. She is 9 and she does try new foods now, but it has been a long road. She has ADD and sensory issues with food (textures). We are eating at Bog on January 16th for dinner. I did notice they do have salad and rolls (bread) which helps us.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone ;). Good luck. In the past we used to carry PB with us.. Some places will not allow this due to allergies though... (like American girl). And you cannot bring PB into the us Capitol.... Security reasons.

See how much fun it is??? So all of who stand in judgement... Please-- enough.

We still often carry a peanut butter sandwich in for DD.......who is now ELEVEN. We do this at Disney or anyplace else we're not 100% certain there's something else she'll eat. We have never had so much as a cross look from any restaurant, and I really could care less (by now, anyway) what anyone else thinks. It's not like we're "getting away with not paying"--if she sat there without ordering anything (other than a buffet, of course), it would be fine. So it's just as fine to bring our own. As OP just said, of course we'd RATHER she eat normal foods, but we're not going to let her sit and be hungry or make her eat alone beforehand.

I would reiterate that this is not a parenting website.

The OP wants to know if she can bring in a meal from another restaurant. Likely this response would be "no." It is also likely she would not want to. Disney doesn't package CS meals to go in most cases. She would be carrying a plate of food into the restaurant. Likely that wouldn't work.

Can she bring in a sandwich in her bag? Probably.

Can she bring in packaged snacks? Most likely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter