Keys to the Kingdom or Backstage Magic?

HBGdancermom

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! My husband and I are planning on coming in June for an anniversary trip (with no kiddos). 21 years...:love:

We would love to do one of the behind the scenes tours and were wondering which one you prefer and why?
The price for either is fine with us and amount of time involved does not matter as well.

Thanks so much for your input!:cool1:

Which appeals to you more, MK only or more varied? We went with Backstage Magic because I wanted more varied tour. It went to the main thing I want at MK, Utilidors. Better meal too
Though I admit, Costuming was the most interesting part to me. Central Shops, where they reburb/repair rides was second. Utilidors ended up being 3rd

Which appeals to you more, MK only or more varied? We went with Backstage Magic because I wanted more varied tour. It went to the main thing I want at MK, Utilidors. Better meal too
Though I admit, Costuming was the most interesting part to me. Central Shops, where they reburb/repair rides was second. Utilidors ended up being 3rd
I'm definitely interested in the Utilidors and costuming and I know my husband would love the refurb as well. I guess I would love to know what you see on each but it seems vague to me on WDW website. :)

Keys is MK only so if you are interested in other parks/areas go with Backstage Magic

The Backstage Magic tour info given is pretty clear, we did all of these things (not in this order mind you)
  • Epcot
    Explore the inner workings of The American Adventure, as we reveal the feats of engineering and artistry behind this inspiring Audio-Animatronics stage show.
  • Magic Kingdom Park
    Become immersed in the story that started with Walt himself on Main Street, U.S.A.—navigate the “utilidor” tunnels, a network of underground passageways constructed beneath the theme park so Disney Cast Members and delivery vehicles can move around undetected.
  • Creative Costuming
    Observe the talented professionals who design costumes for Character, show and parade performers.
  • Central Shops
    Get up close with the artisans whose skill and craftsmanship make dreams come true all around the park— from the tiniest details to elaborate stage sets.
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
    Settle in for a delicious family-style barbeque lunch at Whispering Canyon Café—included with your tour.
  • Textile Services
    Unfold an experience like no other within one of the world’s largest laundry facilities—complete with a unique photo opportunity!

Keys is MK only so if you are interested in other parks/areas go with Backstage Magic

The Backstage Magic tour info given is pretty clear, we did all of these things (not in this order mind you)
  • Epcot
    Explore the inner workings of The American Adventure, as we reveal the feats of engineering and artistry behind this inspiring Audio-Animatronics stage show.
  • Magic Kingdom Park
    Become immersed in the story that started with Walt himself on Main Street, U.S.A.—navigate the “utilidor” tunnels, a network of underground passageways constructed beneath the theme park so Disney Cast Members and delivery vehicles can move around undetected.
  • Creative Costuming
    Observe the talented professionals who design costumes for Character, show and parade performers.
  • Central Shops
    Get up close with the artisans whose skill and craftsmanship make dreams come true all around the park— from the tiniest details to elaborate stage sets.
    Settle in for a delicious family-style barbeque lunch at Whispering Canyon Café—included with your tour.
  • Textile Services
    Unfold an experience like no other within one of the world’s largest laundry facilities—complete with a unique photo opportunity!
And do you happen to know what the AP discount is for the Backstage Magic tour is?

I've done both tours. I LOVED the KTTK tour. Fascinating info, and we had such a good guide (Matthew). Would highly recommend KTTK.

Backstage Magic wasn't nearly as good. I hate to be a complainer, but I was bored with quite a bit of it. During the Epcot portion, I was blocked by people and couldn't see anything. Was disappointed by the DHS portion (ended up just looking at a ToT ride car while the guides explained it). During the horticulture part of the tour, we were kept on the bus and slowly driven through the topiary area. I did enjoy the costume shop area, and the Central Shops area was kind of interesting. But given the cost (around $200) and the fact that it took up almost a full day of our trip, I was quite disappointed.

I've done both tours. I LOVED the KTTK tour. Fascinating info, and we had such a good guide (Matthew). Would highly recommend KTTK.

Backstage Magic wasn't nearly as good. I hate to be a complainer, but I was bored with quite a bit of it. During the Epcot portion, I was blocked by people and couldn't see anything. Was disappointed by the DHS portion (ended up just looking at a ToT ride car while the guides explained it). During the horticulture part of the tour, we were kept on the bus and slowly driven through the topiary area. I did enjoy the costume shop area, and the Central Shops area was kind of interesting. But given the cost (around $200) and the fact that it took up almost a full day of our trip, I was quite disappointed.
They have dropped both of the bold and replaced it

Did you not find the MK portion of Backstage to overlap Keys?

KTTK every day and twice on Sunday.

As a Disnerd, KTTK was so much cooler than I expected. I started out super jazzed about the utilidors (#1 reason for touring,) but that ended up being the thing I recall least. Lots of talk about the design of the park, the windows, Disney history, regaled with tales of opening day Disneyland, Jungle Cruise narrated with our guide... etc.

I felt like BSM was actually less "content" despite being two hours longer and way more expensive. I wanted to do it SO badly, and after failing at multiple attempts to coerce friends I ended up booking a solo trip just to do it. It wasn't bad, I was just... underwhelmed. And despite the repeat of the utilidor, I didn't feel that it was repetitive. We went down, came up, watched parade, done.

I still tour MK newbies based on my KTTK experience. Aside from kinda-sorta seeing the AA boxcar, and the sorta-cool but less-cool-than-expected ToT ride vehicle, I don't think I "took" anything from this tour like I did KTTK.

(Ang, what did they replace those parts with?)

ETA: Oh, Central Shops was kinda cool. Although I forgot until just now that we did it, so that tells you how much of an impact it had on me...

KTTK every day and twice on Sunday.

As a Disnerd, KTTK was so much cooler than I expected. I started out super jazzed about the utilidors (#1 reason for touring,) but that ended up being the thing I recall least. Lots of talk about the design of the park, the windows, Disney history, regaled with tales of opening day Disneyland, Jungle Cruise narrated with our guide... etc.

I felt like BSM was actually less "content" despite being two hours longer and way more expensive. I wanted to do it SO badly, and after failing at multiple attempts to coerce friends I ended up booking a solo trip just to do it. It wasn't bad, I was just... underwhelmed. And despite the repeat of the utilidor, I didn't feel that it was repetitive. We went down, came up, watched parade, done.

I still tour MK newbies based on my KTTK experience. Aside from kinda-sorta seeing the AA boxcar, and the sorta-cool but less-cool-than-expected ToT ride vehicle, I don't think I "took" anything from this tour like I did KTTK.

(Ang, what did they replace those parts with?)

ETA: Oh, Central Shops was kinda cool. Although I forgot until just now that we did it, so that tells you how much of an impact it had on me...
The items listed in the post above cover everywhere you go on the current version of the tour. Shops where they make costumes and also the laundry. While you think that sounds awful it is truly fascinating to see just how they manage to process all the laundry

I'm beginning to think how much you get out of the tours is based solely on the tour guide you get. We discussed a lot about all the various areas and forced perspective and how it was used everywhere. I guess the guides are giving talking points and have a lot of room to adlib?

That might be true about the guides. I also felt like there were too many people on BSM (a whole bus!) whereas KTTK was more intimate.

We did ToT, horticulture, and costuming, but not laundry. Watched a laundry video on one of the tours (KTTK?) while standing in the utilidor, though!

• Epcot
  • Magic Kingdom Park
  • Creative Costuming
  • Central Shops
  • Textile Services

The laundry tour cracks me up. I can think of a few things I would rather see behind the scenes at WDW. I am sure it must be a massive operation and would be interesting to see (I am interested in pretty much anything related to WDW), but I spend so much of my real life buried in laundry. Can't imagine what my husband (who listens to my endless complaining about laundry) would say if he realized I paid and spent my vacation time going to see a large laundry room. :laundy:

I found KTTK to be a little redundant. I already knew a lot of the information and our guide actually got some things wrong (like MK opening date). We want to do BSM now!

I did them several years ago, but much preferred Backstage Magic. For Keys to the Kingdom, our tour guide was only interested in talking to us about Disney history. When we got to the Utilidors, we spent at least 15 minutes standing and staring at photos on the wall while he talked about Walt. Perhaps it depends on your tour guide. I personally am more interested in how Disney works as a company today, and how it currently operates its theme parks, rather than its history.

However, the length of the tours was different, and that might influence your decision. I booked Keys to the Kingdom to take my nephew, and I didn't think he would want the longer Backstage Magic tour.

I did KTTK in October an drew loved it. A lot of info I knew already but I learned a ton more. Fun and very interesting! Been considering BSM for an upcoming trip as well. The costuming part has me hooked.

Matthew is the best guide! I went with my BIL and FIL and Matt had lunch at our table. What a great guy with incredible Disney stories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter