Key West - what to see and do

WDWLVR

<font color=green>DVC @ The Boardwalk</font><br><f
Key West is a stop on Disney's 7 day Western Cruises. What are your favorite things to do? Disney excursions or on your own. Share it here with your fellow cruisers!

****** UPDATED 5/17/09 ******
This post has been updated to include many reviews that are not posted on this thread from the past year on the main cruise forum. Click on the * to see specific reviews. Click on the princess: to read Shirley's input on the attraction. If you would like a review that you have posted on the boards or in a trip report included in this listing, please PM one of the moderators on this forum to have it added.

* Shirley's Recommendations - princess: , princess:

Aquarium - *

Beaches :scared: - :(, princess:, *

Butterfly Conservatory and Aquarium Tour - * , *, princess: , *

CVS for Supplies - *

Electric Car Rental - *, princess: , *, *

Fantasy Fest Info - *

Fishing - :(

Fury Catarmaran & Snorkle - *

Hemmingway Home - *, :goodvibes , *, *

Jet Skis - princess:

Jogging Route - princess:

Key Lime Pie - *, :goodvibes , *

Kayak, Dolphin Viewing and Snorkel trip - **

Kids in KW - *

Kino Sandal Factory - *, princess: , *

Lighthouse - *

Lunch Spots - princess: , **, **, **, **, princess:, **, **, **, **, **, **, **, **

Mel Fisher Museum - *

Parasailing with Fury Watersports - *, http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2227288

Pirate Museum - * , * , *, * , :(, *, *, *

Scuba Diving - **, **, **

Shipwreck Museum - *

Southernmost Point - :goodvibes , princess:

Smathers Beach :(, *, *

Thrill Boat Ride - *, *, *

Trolley Tour - *, *, *, *, *, *

Walking Tour - *

Winery - *, *

We took the trolley tour and certainly covered Key West from one end to the other! I think kids would ultimately be bored on the tour, but we were fascinated and glad we did it. Then we shopped a very little and returned to the ship.

Next time, and there WILL be a next time, we'll be having a cheeseburger in Paradise and visiting Nancy Forrester's garden.

My kids and I loved the Key West Aquaruim.
We did the trolley tour of the island and it was okay but I won't do it again.

I stayed on the boat with ds5, Mom and some other relatives. We enjoyed the empty ship. DH came back with Dad all sweaty and gross. They said it was ok (DH wanted a picture of the southernmost point), but we would have been bored.

Good morning Mary,
I know I am an ol' conch and know about stuff in Key West - just wanted to ask you first if I can post information in regards of stuff to do in Key West - the reason I am asking is due to the fact that Norm and I are from there, you may be wanting others that have been there for the first, second etc times, you might want their imput.
Hugsssssssssss always
Shirley and Norm

snelsonbrown said:
Good morning Mary,
I know I am an ol' conch and know about stuff in Key West - just wanted to ask you first if I can post information in regards of stuff to do in Key West - the reason I am asking is due to the fact that Norm and I are from there, you may be wanting others that have been there for the first, second etc times, you might want their imput.
Hugsssssssssss always
Shirley and Norm

Shirley dear you know you are always welcome to give your input! Who better to give insider tips than a self proclaimed ol' conch! :)

I'm sure all those traveling to Key West in the coming year will benefit from your knowledge. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My brother and His wife live in Key West... soooooooooo we visit with them.. :goodvibes

They both work for excursion places.... so we do whatever they tell us we are doing that day.. :rotfl:

Lazy Dog

and

Seabago

First of all, Shirley, thank-you for sending all of the great Key West info. it was great and really helped us get ready for the stop and we will definitely be spending more time there sometime in the future! My wife, kids ages 5, 7 and 10 and I were on the 12/2-12/9 sailing and all went on the Butterfly conservatory and aquarium tour. My kids love butterflies and I really wasn't expecting much, but the 1 1/2 hrs. they give you in the conservatory went by way too quickly. I was totally overwhelmed at how cool the whole thing was and will definitely go back again as will the kids. There are so many types of butterflies in that place and so many different colors and shapes and plants, etc. that the whole thing is just incredible! After the butterfly conservatory we went to the aquarium and had a fun time, but after the butterflies, everything else couldn't compare. Of all of our excursions I think it is still my favorite! :thumbsup2

When dd was 5 we did the Conch Train (DD5 slept through most of it), and the Butterfly Conservatory which she really enjoyed. We also enjoyed the Mallory Square entertainment around sunset.

When DD was 6 we did the Trolley, and stopped at the Hemingway house, Southernmost point, and the Aquarium. DD6 really got a kick out of petting the nurse sharks! We also watched the "Cat Man" at Mallory Square. This bizarre person had trained house cats doing tricks. It was a strange, and amazing performance!

Does anyone know if the "Cat Man" still performs at Mallory Square?

We rented an electric car which was cooler than cool! :cool1:

We headed to the Southernmost Point and took our picture and then zipped to Fort Taylor. Our DS12 is a big civil war buff and we enjoyed the visit as well as the sight of the ship from the top of the fort.

We then went to the Key West Aquarium which was, by far, the highlight of my kids trip there. They loved the touch and feel tank, something we don't have here in the Chicago area. They were extremely disappointed our second cruise when we didn't stop in Key West and look forward to another future cruise when we do.

cgcw said:
We rented an electric car which was cooler than cool! :cool1:

If you don't mind my asking, how much was the car, and for how long? Did you reserve in advance? DH and I were thinking of doing the same thing when we're on our first Western cruise (just over one week from now!).

Great timing on this thread, as we finalize our plans! :cheer2:

First off Key West has such a rich history going back into the early 1800's that it would take more than one day to soak it all in - First off Key West really doesn't have much entertainment for kids but that has been going on since I was growing up - the aquarium has always been there for more years than not and has been upgrade to really being entertaining for kids as well as the Butterfly farm. Both are highly recommended. As for the conch train, I feel it is very boring for kids, but with the trolly cars, you can get on and off at any given time. The electric cars is the way to travel - you can do your own sightseeing on your own - want to go to the most interesting forts? Fort Taylor which is off one of the main street which is Whitehead Street and Fort East Montecello which is located at the end of White Street - this is where so many bodies of slaves were buried during the 1800's. There is a great deal of "old" stuff there about Key West - also it is at the Clarence Higgs beach which has a great playground for kids WHICH is also right next door to Casa Marina where all the celebrities and VIP's use to stay when they came to KW - this is where Burt Lancaster stayed when he made the movie Rose Tatoo in fact in that picture, my aunt's house was used as the prop house - you also see a lot of locals in that picture and that is how we really lived way back then. Having transportation takes you out of the tourist traps - you can go all the back streets and see the way folks live - if you have time, take the tour of the KW cemetery - talk about interesting- this was our playground when we were kids so naturally none of the ol' conchs are concern visiting the graveyard. You can take a ride up North Roosevelt Blvd and see all the fishing boats and their catches - there is places to sit down, eat, have a drink and just enjoy the beauty of it all. If you will take Front Street and go to the Broadwalk, there is also a lot to see and enjoy. Sunset can be a challenge with small children, but yes they still do have all types of entertainment and some can be super strange, but interesting for the kids and adults - be prepared to tip the entertainers. If anyone needs Key West information, I will be more than happy to share all the stuff I have for the asking.
My sister and I will be making a trip back home next month, so if you are interested, just drop me a note at snelsonbrown@aol.com
If you are not scare of heights, take the elevator at the Hotel LaConcha which is located at the corner of fleming and Duval Street - you get a 360 degree view of Key West - If you will look toward the South over Fast Buck Freddy's, you will notice the old sign of S&H Kress which use to be our only 5 & dime store - every girl in KW worked there at one time or another including myself. there is also trees growing on top of the old building.
Want to hang with some locals, you can go to Jose Cantina's on White Street and tell the owner that Norman the retired postman sent you or want a real cuban sandwich, go to 5 Brothers on the corner of Southard and Grinnell Street and tell them Abreu's niece Shirley sent you there to hang with the locals.
You can go to www.keywestfun.org and find a lot of things to do, see etc. Hope this will give you an insight to a small island that once was a real paradise.
Always
Shirley and Norm
2 ol' conchs from Key West

iwynlea said:
If you don't mind my asking, how much was the car, and for how long? Did you reserve in advance? DH and I were thinking of doing the same thing when we're on our first Western cruise (just over one week from now!).

Great timing on this thread, as we finalize our plans! :cheer2:

I honestly don't recall what the cost was. But, I know we'd do it again.

We didn't reserve in advance. When we got off the ship, there was a gentleman standing directing people at the corner near the Aquarium. He used his cell phone to call the rental place and make the arrangements for us. They brought the car right to where we were and when we were done, we went back to that same corner and they came and met us to bring it back. It was very smooth.

In fact, the man who helped us, my DH tried to tip and he flat out refused a tip for his help. That sure doesn't happen very often.

I have a 6 year old son who is fascinated with pirates right now. Anyone with any experience with the Pirate Museum?

The Pirate Museum I was not to impressed with but then my generations lived their lives so was given many stories about those yesteryears - Do you know that Key West is also known by Cayo de Hueso which means keys of bones since the pirates left the bodies just lay whereever - Whitehead Street was the highlight of the pirates and also did you know that on Angela Street there is a house that still has a cave that goes for over 50 ft underground where the pirates would hide their booties. I have never been allowed to go there, but Norm has and said it was ''awesome''. It is closed to the public since the property has been sold and the cave is "hands off" - very few folks about the cave. A small tidbit about our hometown.
For kids the museum would be interesting with lots of ''wares'' for sale.
Norm and I are going back home for a visit at the beginning of next month so will check it out while I am down there to see if it has improved more.
Always
Shirley and Norm

I have a 6 year old son who is fascinated with pirates right now. Anyone with any experience with the Pirate Museum?

The Pirate Museum is on our list to do, I can give you feedback in a few weeks :)
We are wanting the do the pirate museum, ripleys, a photo at the southernmost point and a few other stops.... mostly museum-ish.

A BIG thanks to everyone for the ideas and opinions, really appreciate it!

Of course, I've heard so many times that one of the things to do in Key West is to get a key lime pie. Does anyone know where's a good place to get one?

We just did the Pirate Museum and Shipwreck Historeum on 12/16. The Pirate museum was great for our kids (13, 10 and 4). Even the little one liked it. Lots of information about pirates and artifacts. If your son is into pirates, he will like it.

Skip the Shipwreck Historeum. It was boring and stupid, IMHO.

We just did the Pirate Museum last spring break. The Pirate museum was great for our kids (12 and 15). Lots of information about pirates and artifacts. If your son is into pirates, he will like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter