Kennedy Space Center

Anyone in Arkansas able to get tickets for KSC? We are interested!!!

I've read through all of both threads and did not see anyone from Arkansas that posted.

I'm working on starting another thread that will hopefully help us all with who has helped. Hope to have it up soon - maybe later today.

I'll post a link to it here and on the budget thread to point everyone in that direction when I get to it.

update from VA.....

Thanks to the posts here on the disboards I put together a list of those senators and congressman that had helped and forwarded it to Bobby Scotts POC in DC.

He contacted some of them and now knows who to contact and he has sent our info to NASA’s DC Headquarters who handles the tickets.

We will see what happens and let everyone know!!

I just got a call (voice message) from our Representative in Ohio. His message said that KSC told him these could only be used for people 12 and older. Anyone else hear this? I plan to call this morning and I'll report what he says.

That's not correct. I have a ticket for a 6 year old and a 3 year old (plus 15 and 12)

I just got a call (voice message) from our Representative in Ohio. His message said that KSC told him these could only be used for people 12 and older. Anyone else hear this? I plan to call this morning and I'll report what he says.

That's not correct. I have a ticket for a 6 year old and a 3 year old (plus 15 and 12)

The info they requested from me was how many people under 11.

Why would they ask how many of they were not allowed???

The security precautions have changed a lot since 9/11/01.

In the good old days, the Tour Buses used to go right up to the Launch Pad, then you all got off the bus with a guide. I don't know if the buses go that close nowadays.

We were extra fortunate because my dad-in-law worked at KSC for 22 years, it was his second career after being in the US Navy 21 years. He was an engineer on all the space shots from 1961 to 1983, he worked on the LEM too. He worked on the first Shuttle Tests, and the first Shuttle flights including STS-6 which was the first time for a Spacewalk. Sadly, that was Challenger, which 3 years later exploded with the loss of 7 lives.
Even after he retired, we used to get VIP tours. Then after he passed away, I wrote to the Director and enclosed a copy of Dad's ID.
We were invited on the Director's Bus for a shuttle launch. It happened to be when Tom Hanks was about to make "Apollo 13" and he was on our bus.
So we were as close as a human can get to the launch, about 3 miles away.
It is an unforgettable experience. I've seen several launches, and each one is just as thrilling as the others.
Dad gave all his memorabilia to us. Each mission he helped with, he got a certificate of thanks with a photo and signatures of the astronauts. In the case of the Apollo-Soyuz shots, he got the cosmonauts too.
Our favourite is the one from the real Apollo 13 astronauts, which says "Thank you for helping launch the LEM "lifeboat" which saved our lives and returned us safely to earth."

Yes, it's worth a visit, especially on a launch day.
But be aware the roads around KSC are jammed solid on launch day, from the early hours of the morning, and getting out of there afterwards requires a lot of patience, with nothing else planned. Best plan is to stay nearby, but you would need to book well in advance. If it's a morning launch, stay the night before.....if it's late afternoon or evening, stay that night in Cape Canaveral, Titusville, or Cocoa Beach.
There is a nice B&B in Mims, just North of KSC, owned by the British ex-band leader of the QE2 and his wife. It's closed for renovation just now. It's called The Dickens Inn.
The most spectacular launches are just before sunrise, or just after sunset.
The worst part of going to a launch is.....they have to be very careful of course, and ANYTHING can happen to cancel the launch, right up to the last second. It only takes an idiot in a boat to wander into the no-go-area, and all that anticipation and excitement is for naught......:sad1:

We can see the shuttle rising into the sky from our house in Orlando, but there is nothing like being at KSC for it.

The info they requested from me was how many people under 11.

Why would they ask how many of they were not allowed???

The ticket prices are different for children ages 3-11.

The aide I talked to asked me how many people total were coming and their ages. Our confirmation letter states 4 adults (DH, me, DS15 and DS12) and 2 children (DD6 and DS3)

got an email today from Sen. Clintons office. 6 complimentary Maximum Access tickets for KSC for us. I am so excited. Thanks to everyone here who told us about this.

Hi....Could you post or pm the link to the website you used to Sen. Clintons office.....its been almost a week and I havent heard anything. Just want to make sure that I am going through the correct channels.

Thanks.

Hi everyone,
We are doing the space center in October, and I keep reading that the food is expensive. Can someone give me an idea? How expensive? Like for a burger fries and soda what is a ballpark figure? Thanks

Has anyone used these tickets yet? I am wondering if they ask for ID or how it works.. I have a good friend who lives CA who is willing to get these for me.. but I would hate to get there and not have it work out. Anyone know what the procedure is to getting them?
TIA
Mousy

The security precautions have changed a lot since 9/11/01.

In the good old days, the Tour Buses used to go right up to the Launch Pad, then you all got off the bus with a guide. I don't know if the buses go that close nowadays.

We were extra fortunate because my dad-in-law worked at KSC for 22 years, it was his second career after being in the US Navy 21 years. He was an engineer on all the space shots from 1961 to 1983, he worked on the LEM too. He worked on the first Shuttle Tests, and the first Shuttle flights including STS-6 which was the first time for a Spacewalk. Sadly, that was Challenger, which 3 years later exploded with the loss of 7 lives.
Even after he retired, we used to get VIP tours. Then after he passed away, I wrote to the Director and enclosed a copy of Dad's ID.
We were invited on the Director's Bus for a shuttle launch. It happened to be when Tom Hanks was about to make "Apollo 13" and he was on our bus.
So we were as close as a human can get to the launch, about 3 miles away.
It is an unforgettable experience. I've seen several launches, and each one is just as thrilling as the others.
Dad gave all his memorabilia to us. Each mission he helped with, he got a certificate of thanks with a photo and signatures of the astronauts. In the case of the Apollo-Soyuz shots, he got the cosmonauts too.
Our favourite is the one from the real Apollo 13 astronauts, which says "Thank you for helping launch the LEM "lifeboat" which saved our lives and returned us safely to earth."

Yes, it's worth a visit, especially on a launch day.
But be aware the roads around KSC are jammed solid on launch day, from the early hours of the morning, and getting out of there afterwards requires a lot of patience, with nothing else planned. Best plan is to stay nearby, but you would need to book well in advance. If it's a morning launch, stay the night before.....if it's late afternoon or evening, stay that night in Cape Canaveral, Titusville, or Cocoa Beach.
There is a nice B&B in Mims, just North of KSC, owned by the British ex-band leader of the QE2 and his wife. It's closed for renovation just now. It's called The Dickens Inn.
The most spectacular launches are just before sunrise, or just after sunset.
The worst part of going to a launch is.....they have to be very careful of course, and ANYTHING can happen to cancel the launch, right up to the last second. It only takes an idiot in a boat to wander into the no-go-area, and all that anticipation and excitement is for naught......:sad1:

We can see the shuttle rising into the sky from our house in Orlando, but there is nothing like being at KSC for it.

What a nice post, thank you!:lovestruc

I've read through all of both threads and did not see anyone from Arkansas that posted.

I'm working on starting another thread that will hopefully help us all with who has helped. Hope to have it up soon - maybe later today.

I'll post a link to it here and on the budget thread to point everyone in that direction when I get to it.

Thanks for doing some legwork for all of us!:love:

Do you have any recommendations for a nice family friendly beach spot at Cocoa? A restaurant or two? Whether we get the tickets or not we plan to visit Cocoa Beach (unless you want to direct us to another one). You KSC note was so helpful. Thanks!:love:

I was finally able to talk with my Rep's aide (Ohio). He reiterated that his "NASA contact" told him the tickets were only for ages 12 and older. He agreed it didn't make sense and he is re-checking for us! Hopefully, he will find someone who knows better.

What exactly is included in these "maximum access passes"??

Looking at the KSC website it looks like there are several different things happening:

Bus tour of KSC
Guided tour of KSC (this appears to be different from the above as it's a separate ticket item)
Lunch with an Astronaut (now THAT sounds cool)
IMAX Movies
Astronaut Hall of Fame (museum?)

there also appear to be various special things for launch days, but I doubt there will be a launch the week of Thanksgiving, right?

I wrote my Senator (of course he and his staff are a bit busy trying to get him elected President right now, but hopefully they'll respond). I just kinda wanted to know what exactly I'm asking for when they do respond, lol.

I was finally able to talk with my Rep's aide (Ohio). He reiterated that his "NASA contact" told him the tickets were only for ages 12 and older. He agreed it didn't make sense and he is re-checking for us! Hopefully, he will find someone who knows better.

Make sure they keep checking. I'm looking at my fax sent to my congressman's office from NASA. It says:

Complimentary Maximum Access Tickets have been reserved for a tour of the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) Visitor Complex for:

Constituent Name: XXXX
Number of Adults: 4
Number of Children: 2 (Ages 3-11)
Date of Visit: November 1, 2008

Then it gives the details of how to pick up the tickets and what the tickets include.

Make sure they keep checking. I'm looking at my fax sent to my congressman's office from NASA. It says:

Complimentary Maximum Access Tickets have been reserved for a tour of the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) Visitor Complex for:

Constituent Name: XXXX
Number of Adults: 4
Number of Children: 2 (Ages 3-11)
Date of Visit: November 1, 2008

Then it gives the details of how to pick up the tickets and what the tickets include.

What does the part say about what the ticket includes??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!