Kennedy Space Center

MommyBuzz909

Disneyland Doll
I'm thinking about going after good reviews from a friend of mine....

Is it worth the money and how far is it from WDW?? Obviously I would need to rent a car, anything fun to do out there or along the way? Good places to eat?

Your thoughts, PLEASE!!

We went in 2006 and had a terrific time. We spent the whole day and could have stayed longer. Be aware that the food is very expensive. The sights within KSC are all reached by internal buses. The buses are covered with your tickets. We didn't do any of the tour options, and didn't get to any of the IMAX shows. Definitely check out the schedule of events once you arrive. We missed some cool events because we were in a different section of the facility when they were going on. They had a talk with an astronaut, and a demonstration of different space gear, etc.

It's definitely worth it, from an adult's perspective. I've always loved science and museum "stuff" and DH is a science and space nut, so we enjoyed our day as much as a day at WDW.

We're going the last week of May for the fourth time in a year. My kids love this place and we go everytime we go to Florida. We upgraded to an annual pass before we left the first time we went.

The food is definately outrageous and you cannot bring any food in. You could always take a cooler leave it in the car and go back there and eat.

We took our kids and my Mother there a couple of years ago. I think the kids were almost 4 and almost 6. We all had a blast! Lots to do for every age. The IMAX movie we saw was really interesting and kept my oldest enthralled. The little one actually fell asleep and napped through it, even when a "rocket launch" (in the movie) loudly shook the seats in the theatre.
I highly recommend a visit. It ain't cheap though. Admission was more expensive than I thought it would be and the food was pricey. But it was worth it.

KSC is a fantastic day (or two) out. My kids aged 8 and 6 loved it and I thought it was brilliant too. It took us approx an hour and a half to drive from Orlando. Shuttle launch experience was great, the tour around the complex on the buses was great and Saturn V - wow, what can I say, it was huge! Although the food was pricey we were pleased with the quality. IMAX theatre was fab. We saw the film about the International Space Station and it was just awe inspiring.

We drove on down to Cocoa Beach at the end of the day and spent some time on the beach as the sun went down before returning to Orlando.

We have a similar thread going over @ the Disney Cruise Line board.

One traveller has said (and it's been confirmed) that if you contact your congressman/congresswoman's office you can get COMPLIMENTARY :banana: tickets to KSC. You may get a "have to check back with you" answer, but it is TRUE.

We have a similar thread going over @ the Disney Cruise Line board.

One traveller has said (and it's been confirmed) that if you contact your congressman/congresswoman's office you can get COMPLIMENTARY :banana: tickets to KSC. You may get a "have to check back with you" answer, but it is TRUE.

I might just have to do that. Do you just pretty much write and say "please give me some tickets?"

Alright, I need your help once again!! About how long would it take to get there and back and how many hours would be sufficient to be there for??

Our first day, we get in at 6AM to MCO, we have an ADR for GF Cafe at 9:10AM. Then we have a dinner ADR at 50's PT at 6:30PM. I know I could get my GF Cafe ressie changed earlier and I plan on picking up my rental car at about 8-8:30 at Alamo at the Car Care Center. Think I would be able to swing it to be back by 6PM??? Would it be too crowded on a Saturday? Should I think about going another day?? I have no clue!!

It matters what all you want to see at KSC as to whether you'd be able to do it in that short of a time. If you want to see everything then you'll want to change it to another day, which would be my suggestion. Saturdays are usually more crowded than other days but during the summer most days are busy.

I would definitely allow a full day there with no specific time to return. That is just too much to cram into 1 day. Even then you won't get to see everything.

We did the "Up Close" tour and it was great. They drive you out to get as close to the launch pads as allowable. It was a great learning experience for our boys . I didn't even want to go, in fact, pleaded with dh to make this a "guy only thing" but then my parents decided to go so I went along. I'm really glad I did. I think it's something all Americans should see.

We bought our tickets at a discount thru www.ticketmania.com just in case the congress deal doesn't work out.

Alright, I need your help once again!! About how long would it take to get there and back and how many hours would be sufficient to be there for??

Our first day, we get in at 6AM to MCO, we have an ADR for GF Cafe at 9:10AM. Then we have a dinner ADR at 50's PT at 6:30PM. I know I could get my GF Cafe ressie changed earlier and I plan on picking up my rental car at about 8-8:30 at Alamo at the Car Care Center. Think I would be able to swing it to be back by 6PM??? Would it be too crowded on a Saturday? Should I think about going another day?? I have no clue!!

It should take about 30-40 minutes by car if there's no traffic.

I would allow a full day if you can. There's a lot to do.

And someone else on another thread confirmed the calling the congressman to hook you up and be able to go for free ... quoting it here-"Thanks to a tip from the budget board, I called our congressman's office today and they are arranging free tickets for Kennedy Space Center for the day before we embark on the cruise!! That saves us almost $200! "

Now I might have to add this to our things to do in Cocoa Beach this summer. The kids are older and would like different things this time. And for FREE!
:dance3:

I can confirm about the congressman thing. I went to my congressman's website and he has a link to request tours in D.C. I asked about KSC and I got a reply within a couple of days. They were in the process of contacting the person at NASA for the tour. I wasn't expecting much since we leave for FL next week, but the congressman's assistant was happy to be helping us with our request.

I contacted mine and a rep for my congressman is working on it as we speak!

YAY!!

I'm also going to go ahead and change my ADR's around for that day.

Kennedy is really awesome. We loved it. But food is really expensive. Pretty good, but not cheap. We were lucky enough to go on a shuttle launch day, sooooooooooooooooooooo awesome, but we would have had a good time even without the launch. Have a great time!

So what do you write or say when contacting your congressman? Would they do it from all states, Im in CT? This would be great if I can find out how to do it.
Thanks

Ok, so Ive contacted my congressmans office too!! Will they get tickets for a specific date you have to go on, or is it an open ticket for say that week youre there? Trying to get things figured out as to where to go and when.

Are you guys that are getting the tickets from your Congressman getting them specifically for the Kennedy Space Center or are you requesting them for the Kennedy Center? When I look on all my Congressmen's webpages, all of them mention complimentary tours in D.C. which includes the Kennedy Center but no where if there anything about the space center. I haven't yet called but wondering if you guys are getting the correct tickets before I do.

If yall could get back to us on here (that have gotten them) that would be AWESOME!!! :dance3:

I had that same question then figured what they heck, I'll write and see what they say. I said something to the effect that I see you can get tour tickets for D.C., is it possible to get admission/tour tickets to Kennedy Space Center in FL. The assistant is looking into it, which is what everyone said they'd say. She did respond in only a couple hours. I'll let you know how I make out.

Don't know if anyone already answered this - but my answer is no. I had trouble getting back for a 7pm ADR (got there at 7:30) and we left Orlando around 9am or so. We got to KSC by 10:30, but then it took another 1/2 hour to get through the ticket booths/security. We only got to do 2/3rds of the bus tour, but we did see both Imax films.

If you go, I would recommend getting there when it first opens (9am), because the lines to get in are not handled well when it is crowded. I had already purchased vouchers, so I have no idea why it took so long.

Anyway, our only disappointment was that we needed more time there. So plan to go when you can devote the entire day to it. Your will need it. Our friends warned us, but I just didn't think there would be that much to do. There is. It is very interesting. I highly recommend it and plan to return in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter