"Keep Calm and Carry On" April 2020 W.I.S.H. Challenge

Hello all,

I'm joining in again this month. A quick intro for any new friends I haven't met before :) My name is Sam and I join in from the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia. I am a solo mum to 3 DS19 (lives at home while he is at uni - it is not as big in Australia for kids to move away for college as it is in the US); DS16 and DD16. I turned 47 in January and things literally went down hill 3 days later! In the past week I have started to feel more like me than I have all year - despite being worried about Coronavirus! As I have had a very sedentary start to the year I have found myself right back where I started over a year ago on my weight loss/healthy life journey :( So here I go again and hoping to use what I learned over the past 18 months to continue and learn more strategies along the way. My sleep is DISRUPTED right now! I go to bed earlier than usual as I feel tired but then throughout the night I am waking and having trouble getting back to sleep, there are dreams (not that I always remember them - but I know they are there), and then waking earlier than I would like to start the day. Clearly my brain is not switching off from the anxiousness about the state of the world right now. We all know how IMPORTANT sleep is to our well-being and weight loss - is anyone else having sleep difficulty right now?

I started walking again 3 days ago - a - because I need to! and b - to get my gaming teens OUT OF THE HOUSE! DD16 is getting bored. We are right near the start of the school year in Australia - ours starts at the end of January - so things with schooling here are quite chaotic. Our Prime Minister has fought closing schools - last week was the last week of term 1 for many schools before Easter Break - so they moved to student free for the 5 days so that teachers/schools could prepare for online learning for term 2. The school situation will be reviewed in 2 weeks but at this stage we expect it to look like - online learning for most - except schools will be open for essential workers who have no-one else to look after their kids while that are at work. Which really only is an option for a certain time of day and we know our emergency workers work 24/7 shifts! As I work in the education system as an OT it is also affecting my work as there are less and less students to see but also I transitioned to work from home this week under GP recommendation due to some of my underlying health conditions. It was actually really nice yesterday - I set up in my shady courtyard, in the fresh air with a bush setting to look at from my garden. I did paperwork and had a video conference. Then late in the afternoon after my physiotherapy appointment the kids and I walked on the beach. Our beaches are also still open - but no sunbathing (eg laying on your towel) is allowed - social distancing is required but you can walk, jog, swim be otherwise active but you cannot sit still. I am sooooo hoping that people will continue to do the right thing as we head into the Easter Break here and not overcrowd the beach - because if that happens they will close the beach - and it is a great place to exercise and relieve some stress right now.

My goals for the month are to get back in the habit of catching up with all of you!
Be mindful of my eating whilst at home more
Exercise as is possible as things continue to evolve around us

@Summer2018 I am so sorry to hear about that loss very close to you :hug:

If no-one else can do it - I will volunteer for the last week as host.
So good to hear from you!

I drew Baby Yoda - it was a lot of fun! Can't post any images though, until I figure out my new access and how to do things.

Slept in until 8am this morning and felt tired when I got up, so I had to pull the discipline card because the motivation card was saying 'you are motivated to sit on the couch'. I did get out the door and had a lovely walk, and it looks like it is going to be a nice day weather wise.

I'm realizing I did not buy enough fresh food when I went to the grocery store Thursday. So today I am going to work on hand sewing myself a mask (I don't like the real one I have plus its N95 compliant and I feel guilty using it, even though it's old), and tomorrow morning I'll go back to the store and get some apples, bananas and some lettuce.

Yesterday I stopped responding to work questions, and let the engineer who didn't get furloughed handle things. On my phone I turned off notifications for email and slack, and this morning it feels pretty good to not be looking at either and to not feel guilty about it.

No big plans for today, aside from sewing a mask its general housekeeping plus deep cleaning one area. I think I'm going to work on clearing the kitchen counters, which means getting in to the pantry so there's more room to shift things around. Will also spend some time working in the back yard again. I'm going to start a tea at 4pm routine, and will get back to reading. I've decided to read 6 books while I'm out, one per week, so I need to get cracking.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday.

Key West is so big I would be surprised if you weren’t able to get in.
Boardwalk is smaller, but you never know. Can you also waitlist Saratoga Springs or Animal Kingdom Lodge? SS was recently refurbished and they are both very large properties.
Thanks! That’s what I was hoping. We own at Saratoga Springs and have stayed at most of the others. We’ve never stayed at Old Key West, so that’s the one I’m really going for. But we also liked the convenience of waking to Epcot and Hollywood Studios from Boardwalk. So that’s why I picked that as a second one. But you’re right, I probably should have picked Saratoga Springs as a second one because of its size. I think we can only do two. I’ll have to look and see if I can change it.

Key West is so big I would be surprised if you weren’t able to get in.
Boardwalk is smaller, but you never know. Can you also waitlist Saratoga Springs or Animal Kingdom Lodge? SS was recently refurbished and they are both very large properties.
Thanks! That’s what I was hoping. We own at Saratoga Springs and have stayed at most of the others. We’ve never stayed at Old Key West, so that’s the one I’m really going for. But we also liked the convenience of waking to Epcot and Hollywood Studios from Boardwalk. So that’s why I picked that as a second one. But you’re right, I probably should have picked Saratoga Springs as a second one because of its size. I think we can only do two. I’ll have to look and see if I can change it.

We love OKW-we don’t own there but love the huge villas and such a relaxing atmosphere. Even the studios are large. And the boat to Disney Springs is very convenient. Olivia’s is one of the nicest restaurants-fabulous breakfasts. We are staying there (hopefully!) in October for the Halloween party.

I know I should probably post this in a DVC forum, but I thought I’d ask you lovely ladies firsts. I had to reschedule my mother-son April Disney trip. But the tickets I got (4-Park Magic Ticket) need to be used by September 30. So I’m trying to squeeze it in the last weekend of September because we have Mon Sept 28 off. But there are no studios available. I currently have two waitlists. I did Old Key West and Boardwalk. Anyone with DVC have experience with waitlisting? What are my odds of getting one?

I am still lurking. Starting to do much better. But I decided to come out of lurking for some DVC advice: Boardwalk for a September weekend would be incredible luck via waitlist. I have had good luck with waitlists, but there will be many people ahead of you in the waitlist. I own at Boardwalk and Food and Wine Festival time is book at 11 months or forget it more or less. Especially standard view. I think your chances of the waitlist coming through are much better at Saratoga or Kidani savanna view (both large amount of rooms).
As to the tickets: not sure what these are that you got, but are you sure the September expiration still applies? I know that for a lot of tickets it was extended. Also: you can always just apply what you paid for this ticket towards the purchase of a new one.

Good luck with the waitlist! I have a very high success rate with it, hope this holds true for you as well!

I am still lurking. Starting to do much better. But I decided to come out of lurking for some DVC advice: Boardwalk for a September weekend would be incredible luck via waitlist. I have had good luck with waitlists, but there will be many people ahead of you in the waitlist. I own at Boardwalk and Food and Wine Festival time is book at 11 months or forget it more or less. Especially standard view. I think your chances of the waitlist coming through are much better at Saratoga or Kidani savanna view (both large amount of rooms).
As to the tickets: not sure what these are that you got, but are you sure the September expiration still applies? I know that for a lot of tickets it was extended. Also: you can always just apply what you paid for this ticket towards the purchase of a new one.

Good luck with the waitlist! I have a very high success rate with it, hope this holds true for you as well!
Thanks for the tip about Boardwalk. I completely forgot about Food & Wine in September. All the more reason for me to try to change it to Saratoga Springs. Thanks!

As for the tickets, I was hoping for the extension to December. But I chatted online with Disney on Wednesday and they said it will still expire September 30. It was a limited time ticket that allows one day in each of the 4 parks.

It’s Sunday morning here, and I definitely have some “Self-Care” to talk about. - I had a really rough day yesterday...in fact, my whole family did. 🙁

DS and I both had tearful meltdowns (thankfully not at the same time) and DH had was anxious about stuff as well. At first, I couldn’t figure out why. - First sunshine in three days, you’d think the opposite would be true! But DH had an insight that it may have been because it was Saturday, which used to scream “weekend” and now feels kind of the same as every other day.

Anyway, I’m feeling much more cheerful today, and the secret was getting lost in TV for a while. After my morning meltdown, DH cheered me up with a couple episodes of Sherlock. (I’m not sure how I never watched that before!) Then when DS was having a hard time, we talked and made some plans, then watched the new episode of Young Sheldon in the DVR.

And finally, last night, I watched Onward on Disney+ (complete with appropriate movie snacks):
6099A4AC-A2E7-4142-BB76-A66444934CFA.jpeg

So, how are you all taking care of your mental/spiritual health today?

I have also found the weekends to be harder now. Actually with our teaching online from home schedule, we “teach” M-Th and Fridays are for virtual meetings. It used to be that Friday’s were the best work days because they were more relaxed and leading us into the weekend, the absolute best days! Now, Friday’s are the worst because they are busiest with all the meetings, yet so much sitting!!!! And then the weekend comes and I’m trying to keep us all busy with a house project each weekend, but it’s when I have the most contact with my extended family. So then I’m worried about my sister & brother-in-law who are both doctors and my parents who are 67 & 72. Then I get caught back into the Coronavirus Blues!

Working has helped me. It’s funny, I fee like I’m not good with technology. But it turns out, I’m not as bad as I thought. And now I have teachers coming to me asking how to do things. So that helping me! We did a girls Zoom happy hour for my friends 50th bday and the guys did one for a friend’s son’s 21st bday. Honestly, I miss people and I generally consider myself a social person. But for a temporary time (like a month or two) I’m content to be in my house with my family. I’m fine to just text people. It’s enough socializing for me. We’ve almost completed a puzzle that I’ve given up on so many times because it’s a lot of the same color! We alternate family movie night or family game night as well as who is picking the movie or which game we are playing. I have a book I’m reading and a Netflix show (The Good Place) that I’m watching. When I have my meltdowns, I tend to go to my bed and either watch another episode or read. I also try to keep some sort of routine (get up, do my workout, start school work, break for lunch once everyone else is awake, back to work, walk/bike ride if it’s nice, dinner, movie/game). Since today is Palm Sunday, we would normally be headed to church. But instead, now the family routine is to have a big breakfast in the basement while watching our pastor’s Facebook Live streaming of the service. Speaking of which, I need to go start preparing ;)

I have had my moments as well-usually after watching the news. I get very anxious and worried for people we know and love working in the hospitals and law enforcement. My daughter and her family are being extremely careful and staying home, so that’s one less thing to stress about. But I saw my grandson’s Easter basket in the closet and realized this is the first time since he was born I haven’t made up a basket for him. I sent him a homemade card and some money so he can order something from Amazon-a new game or book.
I agree a routine is important-I wear nice, around the house clothes, a little makeup and different earrings every day! If it’s nice out I have breakfast on the deck and catch up with emails and messages. Take my walk after lunch and then out on the deck with a good book. A little housework. Zoom with friends. I enjoy cooking and have been trying new recipes. I’m not stressing about losing any more weight right now, but I do NOT want to gain.
It’s a beautiful day today-sitting outside listening to the birds. It’s my husband’s birthday-I made him a mask from a bandanna and a couple hair ties and found an alcohol wipe in my purse to give him! :D

Have a good day, everyone!

AD171250-8CC4-41BD-9CC4-C3E403053D1C.jpeg

One of my friends sent this to all us and I thought I would share with all of you!

I was also thinking about the different days of the week, because all my days are Saturday's for the next 6 weeks. Not sure how that is going to play out. I'm used to being on my own most of the time so sometimes it feels totally normal but at the same time feels strange. Being sequestered my days are actually very peaceful, so it is jarring to turn on the tv and see all the pain the medical professionals are going thru, I"m fearful there they are going to have long term emotional issues from it all. There's only one person in my near family who's in the medical field, my Niece's step-sister, who's a nurse but is usually doing post-op work and is very rarely faced with emergencies or death. She's having a rough time right now, as she's working at one of the hospitals.

Today I'm going to drive over to my SIL's to drop off masks for her and my Nephew and it seems like such a long journey. And like everyone will be watching me, asking why is she on the road? I know it will feel good when I get on the road and get to see different things.

I filed my first unemployment claim this morning, grateful to have that available... without knowing what is in front of us with the economy, I'd like to tap in to my reserve as little as possible.

I went back to the grocery store this morning to get fruit and lettuce. I had a chat with my neighbor and she reminded me they have a rack of seeds at the door I don't normally go in, so I picked some things up to plant when I get the clean-up done. I see a lot of carrots and radishes in my future, provided the wild bunnies don't get to them, as I really don't have anything to put around to protect them.

I'm also keeping a routine, showering every morning, doing my hair, putting on regular clothing and going for a walk. I'm paying a lot of attention to what feels right. Doing what I promised myself I would do is at the top of the feel-good list, but yesterday I was short on steps, despite taking two walks, and walking in place to make up the steps didn't feel good, so I didn't do it.

The temps here are going to warm up for most of the week, so I'll be outside quite a bit working on the garden, always good for the soul.

I heard this saying yesterday and thought I'd share:

When you reach a fork in the road, don't go straight.

We’re starting our fourth week of stay at home orders but can still get outside for essentials and exercise if we can maintain a safe distance.

We had a bit of a slow start to closing things down and I still don't feel we are in a full shutdown as yet. Whilst not all of the stores have been told to close - some are self-optioning due to less people around and cost of opening. We are take-out only all restaurants/cafes etc no sitting allowed - again many have closed. We are allowed to exercise, work if you have a job to go to that you cannot do as 'work from home', go to the pharmacy, groceries, medical appointments, caring for family e.g. dropping off essentials for others. We are allowed out with those who live with us as a group to exercise (social distance from others) but apart from that they have been encouraging no more than 2 people together e.g. meet a friend for a walk and walk at a social distance together (if that makes sense). There are definitely less cars on the roads - and at times it is very eerie.

I had a really rough day yesterday...in fact, my whole family did. 🙁

:hug: Oh no - yes I find myself trying to hold it all in - but have had a couple of moments here and there. I relaxed a rule on Saturday about not entering my parents house and had DD with me - I needed to fix Dad's phone and check Mum's medication - parents called DD over closer to hand her some money - then next day she was sneezy - then had a pain in the chest - which she gets when she gets anxious - she had worried herself about 1) if she had corona and 2) that she had been close to her grandparents. She is still a little sneezy but in the mornings and really we think it is the change to cooler weather for us and the chest pain is gone today. I checked in with my parents this morning and they said they are feeling fine. But rule is now strongly back in place - as it protects all of us - my parents from catching it and us in-case we are the ones to pass it on! It has been hard to get my parents to understand they need to stay at home, mum came around sooner - but I know Dad is still sneaking out - despite them now letting me grocery shop for them.

It’s funny, I fee like I’m not good with technology. But it turns out, I’m not as bad as I thought. And now I have teachers coming to me asking how to do things. So that helping me!

That is great, maybe you will be able to incorporate your tech skills in other ways when you get back to your usual classroom :)

It’s a beautiful day today-sitting outside listening to the birds. It’s my husband’s birthday-I made him a mask from a bandanna and a couple hair ties and found an alcohol wipe in my purse to give him! :D

I say a clip of making that type of mask the other night - people are so clever! That is a hilarious gift - way to make the best the situation with a bit of a laugh.

I'm used to being on my own most of the time so sometimes it feels totally normal but at the same time feels strange.

:hug: just cos I think you need one :)

Self-Care Sunday:

Hmmm - yesterday I saw a post from Chris Hemsworth (AKA Thor) that said he and Taika Watiti (Korg) were going to add kids mindfulness voices by each of them on Chris's health website and he had 6 weeks free trial. So I joined up - it has exercises (but some are quite challenging for me), recipes, guided sleep stories, meditation and mindfullness. The kids ones are supposed to start this week - but I couldn't find them today - I thought it would be super cool to listen to a guided meditation with Thor and Krog!

I did pilates workout yesterday - but the biggest thing for my self care has been my beach walks each afternoon.

@Summer2018 I love that poem - I saw it the other day on Instagram posted by Hoda :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter