• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

KathyRN Family's Trip Report: Adventures in Autism: WDW... A FEW PICS, FINALLY! pg 13

Hi Kathy
I just joined TGM too, and, having spent last Veteran's day at WDW, was hoping that you would adjust some of your plans. It was very crowded during our last trip, but we were able to get around with less stress with some of the TGM suggestions. It seems WDW gets really busy now in the fall, because people just don't like the heat! It is getting to be that there is no really uncrowded time to visit, so touring with good planning is so necessary!
My 3 year old wonderful niece was diagnosed with Autism at 14 months. Every day has been hard. It is nice to hear of your son's successes.
See you on the TGM boards!

What great trip reports!!! I'll think i'll do pre trip reports too..
I absolutely can't wait to read your trip report because i am going November 1-8, 2007. (You think you have a long wait :crazy: ) It's never too early to start planning. I love it.

3princesses+aprince said:
What great trip reports!!! I'll think i'll do pre trip reports too..
I absolutely can't wait to read your trip report because i am going November 1-8, 2007. (You think you have a long wait :crazy: ) It's never too early to start planning. I love it.

Ughh! You poor thing! I guess 5 months isn't so bad, after all! :hourglass

Well, folks, I have to say that TGM has really rejuvenated my planning. I keep changing our Operational Plan around and have changed several ADR's so many times that I'm positive that I'm on some special list of " :crazy: Guests to Put Up With" at Disney Dining!

I've looked long and hard at our plan and I became convinced that we were still touring "too hard". I'm not sure how having a 75 yr old AND an autistic 8 yr old AND typical 10 and 16 yr olds is going to work (but I still can't wait to find out!)

Plus, Ed sort of threw another wrench into the works. I proudly showed him our itinerary and pointed to our half-day to "sleep in/swim/relax" at OKW, thinking that he would finally be pleased about getting the resort time he's been missing. So, what does he do? Yup, you guessed it! Likes the idea so much, he now wants a full day of R&R! Also wants to spend our first night "relaxing" at the resort! WILL THIS ITINERARY SABOTAGE NEVER END??!!

What to do, what to do? Hmmmm........ :idea:

Well, there's just no way around it! I just had to add another day! (I just haven't told Ed yet...Shhhh...it's *our* little secret for now!)

So now, we'll be coming in a day earlier--don't have to get up excruciatingly early for an early am flight now, and we'll just check in and explore the resort and relax. Next am, we'll be up early to hit our first park at opening. Day 5 will be a full day off from touring; we'll just go to Downtown Disney in the afternoon so Tricia can go to BBB for pampering Fairy Godmother-style!

It's hard for me to believe that next week is the kid's last week of school; now we'll be switching gears to summer schedules! Tricia will be attending various half day camps in June/July and Billy gets one week off before starting his ESP (extended summer program) at school for the full month of July. August is when they are allowed to be lazy! I like my kids to have some activities planned, but I do think that some of their summer should be reserved for just goofing around and swimming at the town pool.

I'll keep you updated on any major planning changes. Can't wait to be writing about our actual trip!!

Kathy

Kathy, WHAT a great report and you haven't even gotten off the ground yet. I have a feeling it will go down in history on the DIS-Ability board.

Couple little suggestions - you might find it valuable to read the Passporter's Walt Disney World for your special needs by Deb Wills and Debra Koma. FABULOUS resource for all kinds of special needs including Autism and traveling with the elderly.

Please please please broach the subject of an ECV with Auntie, so that you can rent one for her from off site. She is Not to be allowed to think that she's giving in to age, but rather helping you all - and it will be - There is just so DARN much walking that since she wants to be with the kids every minute, it will enhance the quality of her trip so much to not have to walk every step. It will enhance the quality of your trip too, because the basket can carry some of the things you might normally need to lug.

I'm 58, with fibro. I get through my normal workday just fine, without even a cane, but using An ecv has given me the world back.

Can't WAIT to read more of your reports!

LindaBabe said:
Kathy, WHAT a great report and you haven't even gotten off the ground yet. I have a feeling it will go down in history on the DIS-Ability board.

Well, I will probably win a prize for "Earliest Start of Trip Report"! :lmao:

Couple little suggestions - you might find it valuable to read the Passporter's Walt Disney World for your special needs by Deb Wills and Debra Koma. FABULOUS resource for all kinds of special needs including Autism and traveling with the elderly.

Oh, yes! I LOVE that book!

Please please please broach the subject of an ECV with Auntie, so that you can rent one for her from off site. She is Not to be allowed to think that she's giving in to age, but rather helping you all - and it will be - There is just so DARN much walking that since she wants to be with the kids every minute, it will enhance the quality of her trip so much to not have to walk every step. It will enhance the quality of your trip too, because the basket can carry some of the things you might normally need to lug.

Ha! That's a tough one! Aunt R. is actually quite healthy and ambulatory; her pride would be hurt if I brought that up now. If the trip does seem to wear on her, I plan to point to one of the many people wheeling around on an ECV and say, "Oh, look at that! That might be a good idea...". She is a sensible lady and would NOT want to miss out by staying in her room while we went off to play. I'm hoping to match our touring to her endurance level, and we always take a midday nap at the resort, anyway, so I'm hoping for the best!

The only other problem with the ECV is that Billy will try to climb up on it and ride with her! :laughing:

Thank you for your kind words!

Kathy

Great pre report! You just inspired me...I won't be going to WDW until September 16 BUT I think I will have to start by sharing my planning adventures! AFTER I get a few more very important details hashed out! :) THANKS for the inspiration and the GREAT report!

Your Attention, please! We interrupt this Pre-Trip Report for late-breaking news of yet another future trip to WDW for KathyRN.....

Rumors of a second WDW Trip have just been confirmed. After weeks of encouraging his wife to resume her previous exercise regime of walking/jogging, DH has just announced that in light of a resumed activity level on the part of his DW, he has registered both DW and himself for WDW Marathon Weekend events for Jan, '07! :faint:

This unprecedented move is obviously an unabashed attempt on the part of DH to motivate and encourage DW to regain her previously svelte figure, as well as to procure a "romantic weekend alone together".

It is unclear at this time exactly how getting up at 3 am and then pounding the WDW pavement together (along with a thousand or so other runners) can comprise part of a "romantic" weekend in the mind of DH, but at press time, the official position of DW is {Quote} "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." {end Quote}.

Details are as follows: DH and DW to run 5K on Fri, DH to also run half-marathon on Sat (show-off!), then DH and DW to enjoy post-race festivities Sun at PI; returning home on Mon . Accommodations will be at the Swan, utilizing the ::cop: discount.

As is usual, plans for childcare for Tricia(10) princess: and Billy(8) :earboy2: have not even entered DH's head when making such a bold and sweeping move, and will undoubtedly fall to DW to arrange and procure through her loving sisters in NJ (four), as well as the ever-doting Aunt R. Arrangements will also be needed for :dog:, but for the time being, this reporter is still absorbing the shock of today's announcement!

Kathy

Kathy--
I have really enjoyed reading your trip reports. I have two sons with multiple disabilites ( including sensory problems) and your first installment really touched me. I planned a trip for several years and we finally went last fall. It was so fabulous and magical! :wizard: My boys were so alert and engaged in their environment. CMs were wonderful and no one made a big deal about the kids wheelchairs. So I know what you mean about finding a place where you can enjoy yourselves as a family. I thought it was a once in a lifetime trip, but am already trying to find a way to get the boys back there!
Looking forward to reading more of your report!

Marie

I am loving your pretrip report! It is both entertaining and educational!

Thanks for sharing your family with us. My son (9) is similiar to janets
a few minor symptoms but no diagnosis.

Smells (I once caught him smelling a freshly tarred parking lot, he loved the smell). Smells can also immediately make his stomach sour and for him to lose his lunch. While painting a school project at school the paint made him sick and he lost it -- right in front of the school principal and a group of visiting superintendents to the school.

Fixations -- Maps, Maps, Interstates, Hotels etc. (We call him Rand McNally).
In my own trip report (To Infinity and Beyond), I talk about his disappointment in flying to WDS instead of driving.

Poor Social Skills

Thanks again, and am looking forward to reading about the family trip and your "Romantic Weekend" :rotfl2: I really laughed at that one!!! :rotfl2:

mdsouth

Just wanted to say your pre-trip reports are terrific! I am getting excited for you and your family!

The way you take care of your DS is unbelievable!

My DS does not have autism, but I am really conscious of his needs, everyday, but also when we travel. I realize I have it easy.

I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

:goodvibes

Great Pre-Trip report Kathy :thumbsup2. I'm so jealous, you were able to make ADR's already.....I still have a little bit to wait yet.

What a fabulous pre-TR! :thumbsup2 As a speech pathologist, I can fully understand the dramatic gains made by your son as a result of his visits to WDW. Congrats and best wishes for continued success with the help of Disney Magic! :wizard: Also - give yourself a big pat-on-the-back for being such a knowledgable, loving mother!! :goodvibes

Can't wait to hear more!! We just went in June and loved :love: the DP!! You will eat until you explode - but will love every minute of it!!

THANKS!!

.....to all of you for your interest and words of encouragement!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about taking an autistic child to WDW!!

Come on, November!! :snail:

Thanks for including all of us here on the Dis in your pre- planning. We do the same thing at our house. We are going in mid October and have all our ADR's made. Looking forward to reading your report after you come home. :)

I'm loving your pre-TR! We just got back from WDW a couple of weeks ago, and I'm so ready to go back. My DH is giving me dirty looks b/c I've turned my 2 DD into Disney Fanatics, too. My DD8 is ADHD, with sensory and anxiety issues, and autistic tendencies. She tried some new things when we were at Disney, too, like BTMR and a large water slide at Blizzard Beach. It's so great to see the big smile on her face while we're there, as we don't see a whole lot of them at home. I like the idea of thinking of the trip as a form of therapy. Maybe I could use that one on DH to convince him to return sooner than he's planning! :cool1: We had the paperwork to get a GAC when we went, but the lines were short enough that we didn't need to get it, until our last day, but there were so many people in the park, DD8 and I (also ADHD) needed to just get away from the crowd. Good luck with your trip!

Hello again! :wave2:

Happy 4th of July Weekend to all! We now have only four months to WDW! Yay! Sounding better and better to my ::MickeyMo ears! The next milestone will be the “double digit dance”, about one month from now! Come on, November! :snail:

Believe it or not, I’m already beginning to squirrel away various items for our vacation! I keep a Disney Box , which I fill with supplies as we get closer to our departure. Some items get shipped down in advance while others get packed in with our luggage.

You already know from my screen name that I’m an RN, but have I told you that I work in a doctor’s office? A dermatologist’s office, to be exact. Well, there’s an interesting phenomenon that occurs to nurses who work for dermatologists. Their medicine cabinets and drawers become absolutely stuffed with little sample sizes of almost every sunscreen, hand cream, facial moisturizer, hypoallergenic soap and laundry detergent, athlete’s foot powder, anti-dandruff shampoo, anti-itch cream, and anti-pimple cream on the market! Really!

Drug company sales reps come to our office every day with tons of these little tubes, bottles and packets of products they hope the doctor will recommend or prescribe to his patients. We have baskets of the stuff in our waiting room for patients to take and we still have no room to hold all of it. Reps shower the staff with samples of their products, too. I guess their logic is, hey, if your dermatologist’s nurse tells you that she uses product X to cleanse her face, wouldn’t you want to try it for yourself? Well, the upside to all of this is that KathyRN hardly ever needs to buy any of the above-mentioned products; the downside is finding ways to store all those little sample sized tubes and bottles! Needless to say, the Disney Box has its share.

:beach: It’s only July 4th weekend, yet a lot of stores are having sales on summer “seasonal” items (I guess they have to start making room for the Halloween merchandise that will be displayed next month!) Picked up a few little things for the kids to play with at the OKW pool, a few little things to keep them entertained on the plane, a few little things to occupy them while waiting for SpectroMagic to begin. Few little things: into The Box you go!

I ordered some special t-shirts for the family. Yes, we have been known to do the matching t-shirt thing……you know how much of a nerd I am! (I mean, really! I did start my first TR 6 months in advance!) These shirts are in honor of this year’s trip being taken during "Jersey Week" . They are red with “Jersey Girl”, “Jersey Boy”, “Jersey Mom”, etc. embroidered in royal blue and with a few stars embroidered in white. They look pretty sharp! (IMHO). When I finally get a digital camera, I will post a pic. I’m hoping to get one for my birthday in October. Hooray! The TR will get pics!

The Disboards keep calling my name and at every opportunity I answer! Lately I’m sticking mostly to the Trip Report board, otherwise I’d spend way, way too much time here! Occasionally I do pop in on the DisABILITIES board to see if there is anything there about special needs kids at WDW so I can get/give support.

I’m always particularly thrilled to read the stories of how the Disney magic has touched the lives of so many autistic children and has helped their families to have such incredible family vacations. We tend to throw that word “magic” around a lot when referring to WDW, but it is so real in these instances that I feel I can actually reach out and touch it. pixiedust:

When our family is at WDW, I feel “almost” normal. I feel light of heart and very hopeful for my child’s future when I am witness to each little breakthrough he achieves when we are there.

Like the time we were at EPCOT UK and Pooh and Eeyore suddenly popped into the toy store and Billy just walked up to Eeyore and started talking to him in complete sentences. “Hello, Eeyore, do you want to play a game? (Eeyore starts to play patty-cake with Billy) “That was fun!" (He takes Eeyore by the hand.) “Come on, Eeyore, let’s go home!” I was standing there in shock and then the tears just started welling up in my eyes. My son was seven years old and I had never heard him actually carry on a conversation with anyone. Not even me. I felt like grabbing Eeyore by his other hand and running so I could take him home with us and it could never end. The CM handler just put her arm around my shoulders after I had blubbered a quick “My son is autistic; he never talks this much”, and she said to me, “Isn’t it wonderful!” Then she started crying, too!

The parents who started lining up behind us must have thought we were nuts or something, but I didn’t care! It’s the countless little WDW moments like these that give me such joy and hope , and allows me to cope with the day-to-day struggles of parenting a handicapped child.

I can’t wait to get back there! :cloud9:

Kathy

Kathy, I cried when I read this! I see my own daughter (ADHD, Sensory disorder, anxiety issues, autistic tendencies) have successes like these, and, you know, it is the little things that count! When we were at Disney a few weeks ago, it was neat to see how grown up she seemed. It's nice for others to see her as just a normal 8yo :love: , rather than the child that all of her classmates think is "weird." I think I'm going to move to Disney--want to join me? :cool1:

Hi Kathy,

Just wanted to drop a line now that I found you here. Your plans sound wonderful! Everytime I mention WDW the family rolls their eyes. I guess I am over thinking everything.

Did you really find Mikes guide useful? I was thinking about it but given both our situations, I figure I will just go early, use the GAC and fast pass, nap, and go back at nite.

We are staying at the CR but love OKW. The 1 br is perfect and I did laundry each nite so we always had clean fresh clothes. Mousekeeping was perfect and left cute animal towels. We never moved them as they were so nice. The place is peaceful and I loved waking early to have coffee on the patio before anyone got up. The place is huge. Other than noisy kids upstairs two nites it was the best place for us.

This time we need to be able to walk to MK and have immediate access as the twins are coming also. I can't believe we are in a deluxe? I still wonder if it was the right move.

Anyways, keep in touch, love the posts.

wvdislover said:
It's nice for others to see her as just a normal 8yo :love: , rather than the child that all of her classmates think is "weird." I think I'm going to move to Disney--want to join me? :cool1:

Yes! Yes! Yes! :banana:

I'm not kidding! Ed and I are considering retiring to the Orlando area. Yesterday he admitted to researching job opportunities for retired cops at WDW!! When we took the Keys to the Kingdom tour, we had a talk with the tour guide CM afterwards and he was telling us about Disney's willingness to hire special needs individuals. It got me thinking about the possibility of Billy eventually getting a job at WDW when he grows up. :goodvibes

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter