Kate Middleton

You should correct your post. This is not an official painting.
I apologize. The first site where I read this printed unreliable information.

Correct, it is NOT an official painting. The magazine hired the artist and published the cover without knowledge or approval by the Royal Family.

It could work if Tatler had made it a parody related to Kate's photoshop kerfuffle. If it was a cynical approach, it would have made sense.

Just out of interest, why do people still call her by her maiden name?

Her other name(s) is too long: HRH Catherine, Princess of Wales GCVO, Duchess of Cambridge and probably a few other titles too. The press used to refer to Sarah Ferguson as that instead of the Duchess of York, so we did too.

Last edited:
Her other name(s) is too long: HRH Catherine, Princess of Wales GCVO, Duchess of Cambridge and probably a few other titles too. The press used to refer to the Sarah Ferguson as that instead of the Duchess of York, so we did too.
Fair enough. :thumbsup2 I know it is popular. Mind you, those aren't the only options -- no one has to call her by all her titles! I think of her as Princess Catherine/Kate.

Apparently, she prefers to be called Catherine, but Kate is more down-to-earth n the media, which isn't a bad thing for the, generally, 'unrelatable to' royals!!

Princess Diana was always just that (or the Princess of Wales or Princess Di), not Diana Spencer. Funny how names evolve, like nicknames. And, now you mention it, when she was Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson was always referred to as Fergie!

I wouldn't be surprised if it is (unconscious) bias from the UK tabloids to not let those married into the royal family and close to the throne forget who they are.

Only Sophie is the one I can think of who didn't get this maiden name treatment.

Not sure if other news outlets in the UK do this as well or just tabloids.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is (unconscious) bias from the UK tabloids to not let those married into the royal family and close to the throne forget who they are.

Only Sophie is the one I can think of who didn't get this maiden name treatment.

Not sure if other news outlets in the UK do this as well or just tabloids.
Maybe. It wouldn't surprise me from our tabloids.

Mind you, as you say, Sophie is an exception, as was Diana.

Fair enough. :thumbsup2 I know it is popular. Mind you, those aren't the only options -- no one has to call her by all her titles! I think of her as Princess Catherine/Kate.

Apparently, she prefers to be called Catherine, but Kate is more down-to-earth n the media, which isn't a bad thing for the, generally, 'unrelatable to' royals!!

Princess Diana was always just that (or the Princess of Wales or Princess Di), not Diana Spencer. Funny how names evolve, like nicknames. And, now you mention it, when she was Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson was always referred to as Fergie!
To be fair, Princess Catherine/Princess Kate is also not her proper title/one of her proper titles.

Nor was Princess Diana an accurate title.

To be fair, Princess Catherine/Princess Kate is also not her proper title/one of her proper titles.

Nor was Princess Diana an accurate title.
I know.

Diana, Princess of Wales just didn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as Princess Diana, let alone Princess Di.

Please note: My question was just a passing interest in something I'd noticed Americans calling her. As @Imzadi said, it's seems mostly a case of going with the flow of the media. And as @Karin1984 said, it helps keep her feeling relatable.

As a Brit, I have to say that in conversation I mostly find that people simply refer(red) to as them Diana, Charles, William, Kate/Catherine etc. a lot of the time. It still throws me a little if I hear "The Queen" or "The Prince , or Princess, of Wales", because Elizabeth, Charles and Diana come to mind!! Old habits...

Last edited:
As a Brit, I have to say that in conversation
As the grandchild of former colony residents (aka natives), are the royals a topic of regular conversation for Brits?

I know there was some interest in Edward, during the 1930s but after that no particular discussion of the family beyond politics for the people I know.

Just curious🙂

As the grandchild of former colony residents (aka natives), are the royals a topic of regular conversation for Brits?

I know there was some interest in Edward, during the 1930s but after that no particular discussion of the family beyond politics for the people I know.

Just curious🙂
I nearly added into my post, that it doesn't happen often!

Mind you, it is probably much more frequent in comparison to your experience, because the royal family has popped up in the news over here quite a bit since the 30s! ;)

In my personal experience, it's only if something big (or interesting to me) crops up about them in the news. Like Louis being a 'scamp', or Kate being unwell, or Harry doing something ....Harry!

I think it looks more like her sister Pippa.
It does, doesn't it!

I suppose it's artistic 'interpretation' ...or vaguely representative. I'd be surprised if it's even on Kate's radar right now; especially, since there are so many images of her out there.

Last edited:
I nearly added into my post, that it doesn't happen often!

Mind you, it is probably much more frequent in comparison to your experience, because the royal family has popped up in the news quite a bit since the 30s! ;)

In my personal experience, it's only if something big (or interesting to me) crops up about them in the news. Like Louis being a 'scamp', or Kate being unwell, or Harry doing something ....Harry!
My people started leaving the islands in the early 20th century so unless they settled in other parts of the empire, they were more interested in local politics. They were also nationalists for the most part which fell into the mindset of if you have nothing nice to say on a topic, say nothing, LOL. 👍🏾

My people started leaving the islands in the early 20th century so unless they settled in other parts of the empire, they were more interested in local politics. They were also nationalists for the most part which fell into the mindset of if you have nothing nice to say on a topic, say nothing, LOL. 👍🏾
Exactly! It all comes down to what relates more directly to you, personally. And, ideally, positively.

You should correct your post. This is not an official painting.
I apologize. The first site where I read this printed unreliable information.
No harm, no foul--now you know not to trust that site! How about putting an "Edited to add:" in your original posting to say that the painting is in fact not official.

Correct, it is NOT an official painting. The magazine hired the artist and published the cover without knowledge or approval by the Royal Family.
That makes more sense. It's an awful painting.

I've read that the media call her "Kate Middleton" because it's the term people use when they search for information about her, and it gets them more clicks. Of course, if they called her the correct name, they'd eventually get their clicks because people would get used to the actual name.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter