Just started considering trip..now feeling nervous

Marie5656

Earning My Ears
Hi. It has been a few days since I first started considering doing this trip. It has been so long since I have done more than a day or weekend trip, I am feeling a few nerves/
I am posting in this subforum, as I still would like to travel there alone. I do have a couple Florida based friends, who would consider coing to spend a day wit me. But I would be pretty much be there solo.
I am having concerns with my age *67..am I too old for such a trip) and just being a bit overwhelmed. The place is now a LOT bigger since I was there last in 1998. I figure I would plan like my last trip..a day or two in each park. definately Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. A friend has said since I am a Star Wars fan, I have to experience that too.
I guess the best thing would be to plan in advance what to visit, how many days in each park, etc. Any suggestions, besides visiting here often, as to what I should be doing.
I was talking with my brother *we are close, discuss things to death(. His first thought was "When are you leaving, you deserve this). I have had a bad couple years..even before the pandemic. My husband became ill in 2019, spent several months in a nursing home (with a few hospital visits mixed in). He died 2 years ago, next week).
Just jitters, I am sure. But from my past experiences with this forum, there have always been some good, understanding folks here. I am sure that has not changed.

I'm so happy for you! I haven't been to WDW alone, and I hope to have companion(s) with me in the near future, but it also definitely would be a place that I could enjoy by myself.
I'd probably try to come up with some little "project" for myself, but that may be just my personality and me thinking I want to have a "purpose" of sorts. Something like:
- actively look for hidden Mickeys and plan to make a little photo album of all the hidden Mickeys I found
- or I might set up some other sort of photo scavenger hunt for myself. I honestly don't know what, maybe all the different ducks I could find, live and character-wise
- or rather than photograph, plan to make myself a little collection to bring home as a souvenir
- or make a list before I went of all the doodads and gadgets and whatnots at home that need replacing, and go on a Disney shopping spree for whatever I needed, be it hand towels, pot holders, summer shirts, etc. I could even see emptying my closet of t-shirts and starting fresh with 4 or 5 from Disney. Sure, they'd be pricey, but I think it would add to the experience for me just to have something to hunt for.
And here's the thing ... on all my previous trips, I've brought home very little in the way of souvenirs. Especially if I was going with the whole family, then to be fair to everyone we'd ALL end up with a lot of them. And that would just make the trip completely unaffordable for us.
But if it were just me, I could do that.
I know a lot of people will have other ideas. I agree, it sounds like you totally owe yourself to this fun trip. I know you will have a marvelous time, no matter what you do!

I might even have a "snack day" planned, with zero "meals" and all snacks. That would give me something to look for here and there. (Editing to add that I don't know how this comment ended up way down here at the end, but it's just another idea! Probably for an EPCOT day.)

I'd have to say, if you want to go, do it! I don't think you're ever any "too" for Disney 😁.

That being said, when are you thinking about going? Right now, Hollywood Studios is running out of park passes 2 and a half months out, so hopefully you're looking at after that. I would also wait for the 50th anniversary celebration to start Oct 1, but maybe go a few months after.

If you have time and money, obviously the 2 things that affect a Disney vacation the most, 2 days per park plus rest days in between would allow you to do a lot, but also give you time to take breaks and relax.

While I plan to get most of my info from this and other similar sites, I have ordered this book. It is from 2008, and will be a bit outdated, but sometimes I like reading material I can look at off line.

Similar situation...widowed 2 years ago and trying to figure stuff out. First solo WDW trip next week. I'm not doing MK or AK because I want a rest day in between E and DHS. Managed to snag reservations at Topolino's, Cali Grill, Chefs de France, and Oga's. Planning on a day in Disney Springs. Have Amazon order ready to go. Planning is huge for me and part of the fun. Research, read, plan but do it YOUR way (cue Burger King song or Frank Sinatra here).

Go for it. I'm 64 and will be there next week solo. I've been solo a number of times and really enjoy it, my hubby isn't a Disney fan so he stays home.

Don't try to do too much, the place is big and can seem a bit overwhelming but really it is one of the best places to go solo. I would recommend staying on site, there aren't really any perks to it right now but for the first solo trip being in the bubble is comforting.

I've been on many solo trips, tho I tend to meet up with friends during part of it. I am 71 1/2. I have slowed down, take a nap now. I always say hi to cast members and guests. I do plan, on how to get to Magical Express, getting to the room. Plans on what to do at each Park.

Where is your nervousness coming from? Mine was thinking other guests would look at me, and wonder what's wrong with me. But I discovered they don't notice me at all, some look at me with envy! Cast member are more than happy to help if you have a question.

I started taking a book with me for meals, or long lines, but now its my phone.

I've been on many solo trips, tho I tend to meet up with friends during part of it. I am 71 1/2. I have slowed down, take a nap now. I always say hi to cast members and guests. I do plan, on how to get to Magical Express, getting to the room. Plans on what to do at each Park.

Where is your nervousness coming from? Mine was thinking other guests would look at me, and wonder what's wrong with me. But I discovered they don't notice me at all, some look at me with envy! Cast member are more than happy to help if you have a question.

I started taking a book with me for meals, or long lines, but now its my phone.

I think it is just from being overwhelmed by the place, and feeling I have to see everything. That is why I want to make a list of places I WANT to see...focusing on things new since my last visit. For example, I can pass on Hall of Presidents, Splash MTn and a few things, been there, done that. That will help.

I think it is just from being overwhelmed by the place, and feeling I have to see everything. That is why I want to make a list of places I WANT to see...focusing on things new since my last visit. For example, I can pass on Hall of Presidents, Splash MTn and a few things, been there, done that. That will help.
It might be good to limit areas of the parks too. For example, epcot is so huge and there's so much to do. Maybe make 1 park day a future world day and another park day for World Showcase.

No, not too old. ;) My late husband and I were DVC members for many years; he died 5 years ago. I have made many solo trips since that time. I am an introvert and I love my solo trips. I never really noticed or cared what other people think, there are a lot of us who go to Disney solo. Planning is almost as good as the trip itself. You can keep as busy as you want, or make it a leisurely trip. Pick and choose what you want to do, it's also easy to be flexible if wait times are too long, weather isn't cooperating, or if you are feeling tired. I am looking forward to getting back this year, after a year off due to the pandemic. Go and enjoy yourself!

You have already received some great advice, but I will add a little encouragement! As the previous poster said, planning is a big part of the fun. If you are super-organized, you can even prepare a daily schedule with your plans (I use an Excel spreadsheet). See if you can find a copy of an up-to-date guidebook and read and ask questions on this forum. When something sounds interesting, whether it is an attraction, restaurant, or resort, search for You Tube videos; there are videos on just about any WDW subject you can think of. If you do your planning a little at a time, it might be less overwhelming.

I always get a little nervous before traveling, whether alone or with others. If you get overwhelmed while there, just take a break, whether in the parks or at your resort. Don’t worry about other people noticing you being alone. If they do, they won’t notice you for long because they are so wrapped up in their own group. If you feel uncomfortable being alone in a line, restaurant, or transportation, read or play around on your phone

I agree with your strategy of identifying a few things you have to do. You won’t be able to do everything anyway. Anything you do above and beyond your must-dos will be icing on the cake.

I agree with a previous poster about staying on WDW property. The thing I like best about a solo trip to WDW is that I always feel safe on Disney property, even at night. Of course, we are never 100% safe anywhere, but I probably feel safer at WDW than I would at any other popular vacation destination.

Oh, yeah, and you’re not too old! You have a few years on me, but I hope to keep going to WDW for many years.

One thing I have decided (still very early in my planning) that instead of late winter/spring of 2022, I think I will wait until maybe September or October of 2022. I am kind of hoping that things will be more "normal" as far as park hours, masking and whatnot.
This may be my last big trip of my life, and I want it to be as special as possible.

One thing I have decided (still very early in my planning) that instead of late winter/spring of 2022, I think I will wait until maybe September or October of 2022. I am kind of hoping that things will be more "normal" as far as park hours, masking and whatnot.
This may be my last big trip of my life, and I want it to be as special as possible.

Have you booked? Because I as going to try for my usual OCT/NOV and kept getting one notice after another that nothing was avail. So I booked for MAY 2022. It looks like DISNEY50 is bring an enormous crowd and they are booking NOW.

On another note, I am looking forward to not just DISNEY50 but the Flower and Garden Festival. Have been at the Food and Wine Festival so many times that I am welcoming and excited about the change.

Have you booked? Because I as going to try for my usual OCT/NOV and kept getting one notice after another that nothing was avail. So I booked for MAY 2022. It looks like DISNEY50 is bring an enormous crowd and they are booking NOW.

On another note, I am looking forward to not just DISNEY50 but the Flower and Garden Festival. Have been at the Food and Wine Festival so many times that I am welcoming and excited about the change.
No, I have not booked yet. I guess you are suggesting I do that? I am actually only about 90% certain about when I want to go, but will book soon. Is this year the 50th, or next?

No, I have not booked yet. I guess you are suggesting I do that? I am actually only about 90% certain about when I want to go, but will book soon. Is this year the 50th, or next?

Yes. Forgive me, I did mean to actually type out "book now if you have not already!"
You can always book and cancel. Disney usually has my cancellation refund back into my payment source in 2 business days (it can be longer though). But better to cough up the 200 dollars and book now and change your mind, than to not book and then not be able to.

50th begins October 1st this year and lasts 18 months.

Hubby and I were there in October November 1997 for our honeymoon. This was near the end of the celebration, so it started in 1996.
Loved the birthday cake Castle.
[/QUOTE]
OK..maybe it was 97 I was there> I just remember I went at Halloween time, and had started a new Job in January that year..and had the stipulation I would be taking off for the trip

Hubby and I were there in October November 1997 for our honeymoon. This was near the end of the celebration, so it started in 1996.
Loved the birthday cake Castle.
OK..maybe it was 97 I was there> I just remember I went at Halloween time, and had started a new Job in January that year..and had the stipulation I would be taking off for the trip
[/QUOTE]

I just realized something.....
To be clear about booking... were you speaking of OCT NOV of 2022?? Because that's when I was trying to book and was blown away by nothing being available. So I booked for May 2022 and was surprised that May was avail.
I am not sure if perhaps you were speaking of OCT NOV of THIS year.

I believe that knowledge is power. The more informed you are, the less likely you will run into something that you can not handle. Don't think WDW as "bigger", just more to enjoy. After all, you can only be inside one theme park at a time. I think breaking your trip down to a daily schedule makes it more manageable. I can tell you from experience, that you can get so much more done when you are by yourself then with others. There is a freedom to going solo and it is wonderful. The great thing about this day and age is that you can watch walkthroughs on YouTube to get an idea of the place. Research, relax, and enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter