Just signed up for Wilton I

I just finished the Wilton I class. I was amazed at how fast I did pick up the various patterns. I moved ahead on my own to try some of the things in the book. I even made some sort of sad looking roses. They will definitely take more practice.

My biggest problem is getting the frosting the right consistency for the various things. For instance, I tried roses with too thin a consistency frosting and they were a total disaster.

Question: Do professional bakeries make their frosting from scratch or do they have some type of premade stuff they buy? I'd hate to think of trying to get it right every time and it is sort of messy to put together.

Uh oh, I think I just overwhelmed & discouraged myself. :headache: I did as someone suggested, I Googled to see if there are local places around here for classes & lessons other than Wilton classes at Michael's. Well, "here" is New York City & the local places are all the professional culinary institutes & classes for super professionals. I landed on a website that was so advanced, making lifelike tiger lilies out of gum paste (whatever that is :confused: :confused: :confused: ) and other places advertized TWO full-day workshops for like $395 - $500!

Right now, I still need to learn how to just spread a buttercream frosting on a cake evenly - and I'm not talking about fondants. I want to learn a few simple roses, rosettes, flowers & leaves to pipe on. I just want a simple "hobby level" class to see if I'm even going to like doing this. :confused3 The most advanced I think I'd ever attempt is a bassketweave design or a faux fondant finish.

About how much money do the Wilton I classes at Michael's or the Rag Shop run? And how long are the classes in terms of weeks? Various Michael's websites say to call for details. :confused3

Imzadi said:
Uh oh, I think I just overwhelmed & discouraged myself. :headache: I did as someone suggested, I Googled to see if there are local places around here for classes & lessons other than Wilton classes at Michael's. Well, "here" is New York City & the local places are all the professional culinary institutes & classes for super professionals. I landed on a website that was so advanced, making lifelike tiger lilies out of gum paste (whatever that is :confused: :confused: :confused: ) and other places advertized TWO full-day workshops for like $395 - $500!

Right now, I still need to learn how to just spread a buttercream frosting on a cake evenly - and I'm not talking about fondants. I want to learn a few simple roses, rosettes, flowers & leaves to pipe on. I just want a simple "hobby level" class to see if I'm even going to like doing this. :confused3 The most advanced I think I'd ever attempt is a bassketweave design or a faux fondant finish.

About how much money do the Wilton I classes at Michael's or the Rag Shop run? And how long are the classes in terms of weeks? Various Michael's websites say to call for details. :confused3

The Wilton I class at our Michaels was $25 for 4 classes. To tell you the truth, you could buy the Wilton book and the Wilton I class kit and you could learn it yourself. I really got more out of following the book than I did from the class. A lot of that probably depends on the instructor, but our instructor just had us do the book exercises. The recipe for the frosting is in the Wilton book. The tips you need for the basics are in the Wilton I kit. After that, it is mostly a matter of practicing.

Thanks Peg. :)
I just found this video demo on the Wilton site on how to do the roses. You need Windows Media player to view it.
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/roses.cfm

There is also a page about getting the right consistancy for the icing:
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/essentials.cfm

On their discussion board there, some people are using premade icings that only need water mixed to get the right consistancy, so no fussing with the flavor, once you find one you like. :cool1:

Like there's these:
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ckideas/ckIdea.aspx?idea=503&occasion=General%20Cake%20Instructions

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=88429

I took the first two Wilton courses 2 years ago, and signed up for the third class, but it was cancelled due to low interest. I personally learn much better doing it with help rather than watching a video or reading a manual. Plus, I like the interaction and ideas from other people. I have only done birthday cakes for my family, but that is enough for me! I am interested in learning how to do the candy, but it seems like another investment that I don't know if I'll really take the time to do. I have too many pans that I don't even use. My MIL took the class with me and she makes cakes all the time. I really can't say that I've even made a flower since a few months after the class, I'd probably have to re-learn that part. I do mostly character cakes and easy stuff, guess I didn't really need to take the class to do that. It was fun, I'd say go for it!!
Here's a question though, does anyone have a receipe for the whipped cream type frosting? Our Hy-Vee grocery store makes this type of frosting and it is wonderful. Its a similar consistency as the buttercream so they can decorate the cakes as well. I haven't been able to find this receipe anywhere and don't really like the buttercream, maybe that's why I only make cakes for events. Thanks in advance!

For Josanna--

I took the Wilton Class too and I am not real fond of the frosting they recommend. I make my own variation-- which I think tastes better and still holds up to decorating because it does have some shortening/Crisco in it.

My recipe is:
1/4 cup butter/margarine
1/4 cup Crisco
1 box powdered sugar
1 teas. vanilla
3 Tbls. milk-- added in one at a time for the right consistency

When I am making icing for normal use (like spreading on cookies) I use a 1/2 cup of butter and no Crisco.

I think this recipe give you more flavor than the Wilton one... And it works well on the character cakes. Which ones have you done? I have done Pooh, Minnie/heart, Blues Clues, Bambi/Rudolph, Bunnies and I did Lumpy the Heffalump last year on a flat cake-- I think he was my favorite!

I wish there was some sort of website for people to share cake pics-- I love doing them!

good luck with your decorating!
jennifer

Jenniferma,
Thanks so much for the receipe, I will definitely be trying it! I agree, the recommended icing is just too sweet and I think the Crisco also has a lot to do with it. The cakes I've done are, a car cake, a flag cake, Blues Clues, GI Joe (without the face plate which was really difficult), a t-shirt cake, two Scooby Doo's.. that's all I can think of right now, probably covers them all. I love being able to make cakes for our events, it just gives me a sense of accomplishment. Mine are definitely not professional, but they are cute and taste good and much cheaper, plus I hope it will be more special to my family!

Jenniferma,
I just realized you don't use any meringue powder in your icing. I'm not sure what the purpose of that is, do you know? Just curious, because I know it is something else that is in their recommended receipe. Thanks!

josanna-- I have the meringue powder and I have to admit-- I cannot remember why I bought it. I also bought the clear vanilla and butter flavoring too-- probably all in attempts to make the Crisco taste better!

It said on the box that the meringue can be used as egg substitute and will stay hard and not soften.

I think their recipe with the Crisco does not have to be refrigerated, while the ones with butter and milk should be stored in the fridge till you use them. I usually frost the same day we eat the cakes- so I don't worry about it too much.

I have even used the star tip with the all butter recipe too-- but it gets so runny .. it is hard to do! I did Cookie monster cookies for Valentine's Day and thank goodness his blue "fur" looks kind of fuzzy!

hope this helps!
jen

I am soo glad you asked this. I have been thinking about taking a cake decorating course for sometime now. My husband bought me a cake decorating kit by Wilton but I have no idea how to use it. I would love your thoughts on this course. I am assuming I take it at Michaels right?
Sounds really fun!

By the way, I would love to see any photos of your creations!
Thanks and hello feralpeg!

How on earth did I miss this thread??? lol

I took the Wilton classes a few years ago and totally fell in love with cake decorating! It actually inspired me to go back to school. I found a culinary arts program locally and am specializing in Baking and Pastry Arts that will give me my associate's.

Josanna...Hy-Vee may actually use an icing called Bettercreme. I know that my local grocery stores use that stuff...you can buy it at Gordon's Food Service stores, but I'm not sure where else. It's non-dairy and comes in a carton that is similar to a milk carton. It's pre-mixed, all you have to do is pour it in your mixer and mix for until it's the right consistency. It stores in your freezer, unopened, for about a year, and if opened, it needs to be used within 7 days, I believe. You can't use it for roses or anything that requires a really stiff consistency, but it's great for borders and stars!

I have found a recipe I love that was given to me by one of my instructors for regular buttercream icing. The only recipe I have burned to memory is for a really really really large batch of icing. It's 10lbs lightly salted butter, 10lbs of shortening, 20lbs of powdered sugar, and 1/4 cup of vanilla. Cream the butter and shortening together, then add the powdered sugar a little at a time until well blended. Add the vanilla at the end. My little kitchen aid mixer at home won't even hold half of that recipe!!! I had to take my ingredients to school and use the big mixer...lol

I have a webpage that hosts pictures of some of my cakes. Feel free to take a looksie!

There's also an awesome community for cake decorators out there. It's called Cake Central . There are tons of galleries to look through for inspiration!!

I took the Wilton classes when my DS was 2 months old. It was the best investment I ever made. I have made all of his cakes myself. While in Japan I had a business running and did very well.

I wanted to post about the roses. When I took the course, the instructor had us put the flower nail aside and use a dowl rod that was the thickness of a pencil. She had her husband sharpen the dowl to a point. I use this for making all of my roses and once complete, I use a pair of scissors with a safety point (rounded) to slide the rose off the dowl and place on the cake. It is a thousand times easier than the flower nail, in my opinion.

To start, place the tip lightly on the dowl. Once you start squeezing, rotate the dowl in your fingers until you are back to the point in which you started. Stop squeezing and attach the frosting to the beginning. Now make three separate leaves. They should overlap just a bit. Just keep on going until you have a rose the size that you would like it to be.

Merangue Powder is used to allow the flowers to harden. (I use the recipe provided with the powdeer) I put wax paper on the flower nail and simply lay the paper on the counter when complete. It takes approximately 12 - 24 hours. They will be harder almost like candy. You can pick them up with your fingers without crushing them. It makes it easier to place on the cake. And if you have a cake with tons of flowers, it allows you to make them up ahead of time. Place the dryed flowers in a tupperware. They keep for months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter