Just returned from the Wilderness Lodge..Really nice but not Deluxe!

starousse

DIS Veteran
My family of four just returned from the Wilderness Lodge,and were there from 12/15-12/22. First impression when we got there was that that the lobby was real nice, cozy, welcoming, and greatly themed. I booked an inner Courtyard view room a year in advance, and put in a request for 4th or 5th floor. When I got there, they had told me that I checked in online (which I hadn't) and had assigned me to a room on the 2nd floor. I asked if they could change that and they quickly found something for me on the 5th.

We had room 5165, in which the view could not be better. Our first night in, we went back to our room early, and were able to see the Water Pageant Parade from our balcony. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I will. The only downside to the room, was that it was a little tight, the walk was pretty far from the lobby, and that you could hear the resort to park launch boats blowing their horns into the wee hours of the morning. Mousekeeping was okay, we got our little towel animals one or two days. The room was clean and sufficient, but definitely by no means a "deluxe". It felt identical to what we had at the moderate CBR or POFQ, with only a more rustic theme.

While here, we ate at the Whispering Canyon Cafe for lunch, which was really good. Mimi was a great server and was very fun. We ate at Artist Point for dinner, which was we really enjoyed. Not my favorite signature meal of the trip, but still very very good. On occasion, we'd stop at the Roaring Forks for a cup of coffee or a soda. It was quite small, and some of the food didn't look all that appetizing.

The boat to the MK and the Contemporary was very convenient and really quick. This made travel much more enjoyable than I remember. The bus service was decent as well. We waited no more than 10 minutes for a bus anywhere. The longest trip was to the Animal Kingdom which was about 30 minutes. One annoying thing about that bus ride was that it was a freezing morning, and there were literally two people on my bus, and the driver still stopped at Blizzard Beach first which wasted time.

The one thing that did bother me about the Lodge was the customer service. No way near deluxe in my opinion. Two incidents stick out. On our second to last day, I wanted to do some laundry. It was about 8 at night and I had put $ into the machine to buy a laundry bag. It was empty. So I called the front desk from the phone in the laundry room to ask them if someone can come fill the machine or if I could pick up a laundry bag. The girl told me "no, there's no one here to do that, so I don't know what to tell you, if you want I can send a bag to your room later". So, I told her that I was in the laundry room and needed to get my laundry from there to my room. She said "sorry, don't know what to tell you, let me transfer you to housekeeping", and hung up the phone. I had to go the Roaring Forks where a CM was nice enough to get me a couple of garbage bags.

Second, on our check out day, we had asked the girl at the front desk, if we could just extend our check out a half hour to an hour. We wanted to get a quick bite to eat, get our bags to make our 12:30 Magical Express bus to the airport. She looked at my husband and so Nope sorry. So, I laughed and said, what do you mean, my bags are upstairs. So then she said, well sorry, it's 11 and you can't go back to your room. So I proceeded to talk to the manager ( I only knew this because he was the only one wearing a suit behind the desk). After explaining to him my situation, he said that it's housekeeping's decision on whether or not someone can have a late checkout and he can't control that. Really?????? Since when does the Manager of a "Deluxe" Resort not have the authority to say yes to an extended checkout??? C'mon now, I've stayed at all resorts from Holiday Inn Express to the Four Seasons Maui, and never ever have I ever been told NO, that I can't stay an extra half an hour.

I do understand that Disney Deluxe does not mean I'm going to get the same service and amenities as a Four Seasons or Ritz, but I don't expect to be told that I can't keep my bags in the room for an extra half an hour. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the Lodge. I'm not saying that I would definitely not return here due to some customer service issues, but I may consider staying at a Moderate next time or maybe try the Contemporary.

Thanks for your review.

I can comment on your half hour later checkout. Every Disney resort at WDW leaves late checkout up to housekeeping. You will encounter it at CR too if you stay there. If they are busy, they often deny late check out. I've never been able to have it.

I agree that Roaring Forks is too small. I wish they had made it bigger since it's always crowded when we seem to get there for breakfast or when we want to get something to eat during our afternoon break.

I like WL even with it's quirks. I'm glad you liked your stay overall.

you are right it is up to the manager on duty. we have asked before for a late check out. once when i had been sick and they knew it i went out in an amblunce and they said no. another time we were given the extra time. the manager has control and some are nice some not.

Second, on our check out day, we had asked the girl at the front desk, if we could just extend our check out a half hour to an hour. We wanted to get a quick bite to eat, get our bags to make our 12:30 Magical Express bus to the airport. She looked at my husband and so Nope sorry. So, I laughed and said, what do you mean, my bags are upstairs. So then she said, well sorry, it's 11 and you can't go back to your room. So I proceeded to talk to the manager ( I only knew this because he was the only one wearing a suit behind the desk). After explaining to him my situation, he said that it's housekeeping's decision on whether or not someone can have a late checkout and he can't control that. Really?????? Since when does the Manager of a "Deluxe" Resort not have the authority to say yes to an extended checkout??? C'mon now, I've stayed at all resorts from Holiday Inn Express to the Four Seasons Maui, and never ever have I ever been told NO, that I can't stay an extra half an hour.

As someone who has worked in the hotel industry, I can tell you that it would be up to the Executive Housekeeper to override that decision - not the Front Office Manager. You asked the wrong guy. Housekeeping is on a tight schedule usually and they must have had a tight check-in to check-out ratio to turn over that day. If they are close to capacity, they will not permit anyone to have a complimentary late check-out. I am surprised they didn't offer you one at a cost, though.

The laundry bag incident is completely out of line though. That is just bad customer service.

Interesting about the horns from the boats... we are considering WL for our next stay and that's concerning to me. We stayed at POR last time and the ferry from DTD kept blowing it's horn at night and I thought how the people at Saratoga Springs must have been so annoyed by it. Good thing to keep in mind for WL!

We felt the same way about WL's deluxe status. It is a nice resort but didn't feel any more deluxe than the moderates we've stayed at, and we aren't likely to stay there again.

As far as the laundry bag, you got stuck in one of Disney's most common customer service failings - calls to the front desk don't actually go to the front desk. When you pick up the phone and call what you think is the front desk, the call routes to a central switchboard, and while they're equipped to handle basic things like questions about park hours or other general information they aren't on-site to handle real customer service requests. I didn't realize that myself until an unsatisfactory experience with a sick kid and calling the "front desk" with a housekeeping request; when I finally walked to the main building (at CBR) to speak with someone in person the manager on duty was VERY apologetic and explained about the switchboard (something I've since read about on the DIS as well).

For future reference because this applies to all Disney owned WDW resorts - if you need something done like a laundry bag or special service from housekeeping (we had a puking kid on one trip) or anything along those lines, call housekeeping or go to the front desk in person. That way you're speaking with someone who is actually working at the resort where you need assistance, not a phone jockey who can't do anything more than transfer you to someone else who can actually help.

As someone who has worked in the hotel industry, I can tell you that it would be up to the Executive Housekeeper to override that decision - not the Front Office Manager. You asked the wrong guy. Housekeeping is on a tight schedule usually and they must have had a tight check-in to check-out ratio to turn over that day. If they are close to capacity, they will not permit anyone to have a complimentary late check-out. I am surprised they didn't offer you one at a cost, though.

The laundry bag incident is completely out of line though. That is just bad customer service.

Interesting about the horns from the boats... we are considering WL for our next stay and that's concerning to me. We stayed at POR last time and the ferry from DTD kept blowing it's horn at night and I thought how the people at Saratoga Springs must have been so annoyed by it. Good thing to keep in mind for WL!

The hotel manager did make right and called Housekeeping to tell them that we would be checking out a little later and to just leave our bags there.

Yes, I agree, the employees response to the laundry bag thing was a little out of line.

As far as the horns from the boats, it didn't bother me at all. It bothered my husband who is a light sleeper. Also, they extended park hours last week, so one night MK was open till 3 AM, so we did hear the horns a lot that night into early morning.

Again, these were minor incidents. The hotel itself was great and I would definitely stay there again if I was able to receive a discount. I couldn't imagine spending rack rate on the place though.

I'm so sorry there was a few glitches in your vacation! We were at the contemporary from the 16th to 24th and realized a ton of people were checking in on the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th. If the rooms had to be turned over quickly then there isn't an ability for guests to stay in their rooms longer. We ate at a quick service restaurant for lunch with our carry on luggage before we left, as we knew there wouldn't be a lot of check out leniency. We already had our checked bags taken care of earlier in the morning, as they can be taken care of at anytime. I don't know if disney still does this but I thought that bell services can hold your bags until you need them to get onto the magical express bus. My family did that last year, but we didn't really see a need to do that this year. I'm glad that your overall trip was good! Have a very merry christmas :)

The hotel manager did make right and called Housekeeping to tell them that we would be checking out a little later and to just leave our bags there.

Yes, I agree, the employees response to the laundry bag thing was a little out of line.

As far as the horns from the boats, it didn't bother me at all. It bothered my husband who is a light sleeper. Also, they extended park hours last week, so one night MK was open till 3 AM, so we did hear the horns a lot that night into early morning.

Again, these were minor incidents. The hotel itself was great and I would definitely stay there again if I was able to receive a discount. I couldn't imagine spending rack rate on the place though.

Glad to hear they were able to make arrangements with Housekeeping. And good tip on the boats, its something I wouldn't have thought of!

I was there about the same time (16-21st). We asked for a late checkout, but were told no. We ended up getting a late checkout because no one from bell services was available to help us with our bags :lmao: Since what I wanted was really just a little extra time to get the kids bathed/dressed for the trip home after swimming, that worked out well.

I would agree that it is only Deluxe in the Disney sense, not in the real world hotel sense. I've stayed at the Poly too, and found the "deluxe" aspect similar. Maybe the GF is actually deluxe? I just can't convince myself to stay there--every time we are in the GF, the lobby is a total zoo and I just can't see that being enjoyable or relaxing.

It felt identical to what we had at the moderate CBR or POFQ, with only a more rustic theme.

... I'm not saying that I would definitely not return here due to some customer service issues, but I may consider staying at a Moderate next time or maybe try the Contemporary.

The WL is not everyone's cup of tea -- a lot of folks don't like paying deluxe prices (although somewhat lower than the earlier deluxes) for what they consider a moderate room size. But when you consider that the WL has interior hallways (which the moderates don't) you can see the difference. The lower price at the WL and AKL takes into account the smaller rooms.

No excuse on the laundry bag. You now have the 411 on the front desk. But what I do if I don't have a laundry bag is take a shirt or two, button them up, and stuff them with my folded clothes. Works like a charm and a lot easier than carrying stacks of loose folded clothing!

WL is my favorite winter-time resort, but frankly, I'm addicted to deluxe and will usually stay at YC/BC in the other seasons for the room size, central location, and other amenities.

Glad you overall liked it, tho'.

I agree with you on that. The room may be comparable with a moderate, but the overall feel of being in one building and having a balcony feels more like a resort rather than a motel.

I have to agree even with the 35% off discount I had I felt the Wl lodge was overpriced because of the size of the rooms. Don't get me wrong its a beautiful resort. I have paid more for BW,BC and Poly with 35% off, but I never left feeling like it wasn't worth the money. The quick boat ride to Mk is why it is priced like a deluxe. Its just a shame they made the rooms so tiny.

:happytv:
My family of four just returned from the Wilderness Lodge,and were there from 12/15-12/22. First impression when we got there was that that the lobby was real nice, cozy, welcoming, and greatly themed. I booked an inner Courtyard view room a year in advance, and put in a request for 4th or 5th floor. When I got there, they had told me that I checked in online (which I hadn't) and had assigned me to a room on the 2nd floor. I asked if they could change that and they quickly found something for me on the 5th.

We had room 5165, in which the view could not be better. Our first night in, we went back to our room early, and were able to see the Water Pageant Parade from our balcony. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I will. The only downside to the room, was that it was a little tight, the walk was pretty far from the lobby, and that you could hear the resort to park launch boats blowing their horns into the wee hours of the morning. Mousekeeping was okay, we got our little towel animals one or two days. The room was clean and sufficient, but definitely by no means a "deluxe". It felt identical to what we had at the moderate CBR or POFQ, with only a more rustic theme.

While here, we ate at the Whispering Canyon Cafe for lunch, which was really good. Mimi was a great server and was very fun. We ate at Artist Point for dinner, which was we really enjoyed. Not my favorite signature meal of the trip, but still very very good. On occasion, we'd stop at the Roaring Forks for a cup of coffee or a soda. It was quite small, and some of the food didn't look all that appetizing.

The boat to the MK and the Contemporary was very convenient and really quick. This made travel much more enjoyable than I remember. The bus service was decent as well. We waited no more than 10 minutes for a bus anywhere. The longest trip was to the Animal Kingdom which was about 30 minutes. One annoying thing about that bus ride was that it was a freezing morning, and there were literally two people on my bus, and the driver still stopped at Blizzard Beach first which wasted time.

The one thing that did bother me about the Lodge was the customer service. No way near deluxe in my opinion. Two incidents stick out. On our second to last day, I wanted to do some laundry. It was about 8 at night and I had put $ into the machine to buy a laundry bag. It was empty. So I called the front desk from the phone in the laundry room to ask them if someone can come fill the machine or if I could pick up a laundry bag. The girl told me "no, there's no one here to do that, so I don't know what to tell you, if you want I can send a bag to your room later". So, I told her that I was in the laundry room and needed to get my laundry from there to my room. She said "sorry, don't know what to tell you, let me transfer you to housekeeping", and hung up the phone. I had to go the Roaring Forks where a CM was nice enough to get me a couple of garbage bags.

I do understand that Disney Deluxe does not mean I'm going to get the same service and amenities as a Four Seasons or Ritz, but I don't expect to be told that I can't keep my bags in the room for an extra half an hour. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the Lodge. I'm not saying that I would definitely not return here due to some customer service issues, but I may consider staying at a Moderate next time or maybe try the Contemporary.

I always call for late check out and I do have to call housekeeping, I guess because there the pnes that clean the rooms and have a schedule it it the only way. Now you know for your next trip, I learned like you the hard way

...The longest trip was to the Animal Kingdom which was about 30 minutes. One annoying thing about that bus ride was that it was a freezing morning, and there were literally two people on my bus, and the driver still stopped at Blizzard Beach first which wasted time. ....

The buses to AK always stop at BB as long as it is open for business.

Thanks for sharing such a great, detailed review. ITA about the WL rooms -- it's a beautiful resort, but those rooms just aren't up to snuff. We'll only stay there again if the rooms get a much-needed rehab.

We also had sort of hit-or-miss customer service there. The staff in the gift shop were so helpful & friendly. The front desk? Not so much. :confused3

So interesting about hearing the horns from the boats. I never would've thought of that, and my husband is also a light sleeper. Something to keep in mind!

We have stayed at WL several times and Love it. While I do agree the rooms are not up to GF, BW or BC level, they also are not as expensive. AK and WL are almost a level in and of themselves. The OP says they felt it was like a mod........but here are some things they have that mods don't....

1. more than one sit down restaurant
2. inside hallways and one building
3. Multipe hot tubs
4. valet parking
5. babysitting
6. grand lobby
7, queens and availability of bunks.
8. Balconies, some of them with the best pool view of any hotel on site.
9. junior and president suites.

We also stay at POFQ quite a bit when money is tighter. Have stayed at other deluxes when it isn't so tight. WL is a great middle ground.

Well here's a question I'm not sure I've ever seen answered on the boards.. how do you actually get ahold of the desk?

Well here's a question I'm not sure I've ever seen answered on the boards.. how do you actually get ahold of the desk?
If there is something you need to know it's best to go down to the lobby and speak to a Cast Member at the front desk or Concierge Desk. When calling the front desk from your room you are actually speaking to a Cast Member at a call center and not someone who works at the resort you are staying at.

We stayed at WL from the 14th to the 22nd. I agree that some aspects of it leave a bit to be desired.

Our trip was "okay". But for close to a $8K cost (including everything), it wasn't worth it.

For us, the MVMCP was the biggest disappointment and waste of $$$.

I summed up our trip as such, "Man plans. God laughs. I am his muse." :sad2: :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter