Just recieved an interesting call from a Disney cast member...

captain america 2003

Always ready to see The World !
offering me a $10 credit (on a gift card) per night of my upcoming stay if I forgo housekeeping services .Has anyone else received a call/offer like this ?

Standard offer at values (and maybe moderates). $10/night minus 1 since they have to clean your check-out day.

It sounds like they're stepping up their game. It's an interesting escalation. They must continue to have trouble hiring housekeepers.

I would turn it down, but many here would take it.

Just know that regardless, you will have someone want to enter your room daily for a security check.

We got that when we stayed at All Star Movies in Nov. but I had to ask. I’ve heard of CMs offering it to you when you check in. But I haven’t heard of them calling to offer it.

offering me a $10 credit (on a gift card) per night of my upcoming stay if I forgo housekeeping services .Has anyone else received a call/offer like this ?

I opted out of mousekeepjng at my recent stay at Pop for $10/night (less one night), but I asked about it at the front desk because I knew that policy was in place. But I didn't know they were actively soliciting guests on the phone with this offer. Interesting.....

Maybe they are just trying to get advance notice of who wants vs who declines mousekeepjng, so they can plan staffing accordingly - both in terms of cleaning and room checks.

Last edited:
We've been going to WDW almost every year since 2002' always staying in value or moderate resorts and have never heard of this . How long have they been doing this ?

We've been going to WDW almost every year since 2002' always staying in value or moderate resorts and have never heard of this . How long have they been doing this ?
It started last summer at just a few resorts. I think it was $20 a night discount at first, then it went to $15, and now it's been $10 a night for awhile.

Yes, I got a call on my phone when we checked in to our room in January. About 5 min after I entered the room the first time. Made me think they were alerted to when I entered the room and contacted me immediately after.
I did not take them up on the offer, someone else to make my bed is paramount to being ON VACATION to me. Much like someone else doing the driving or someone else doing the cooking ;)

Last edited:
Figuring the maids are making minimum wage and guesstimate about an hour per room I'm betting each room is about $30 /day (not even including cleaning supplies) - so that $10 savings to you is $20 to them.

This may be a silly question but.. if you turn the service down do you have to call everyday for clean towels or more soap etc?

This may be a silly question but.. if you turn the service down do you have to call everyday for clean towels or more soap etc?
Or when you need it but yes, you have to request anything you need. They won't visit your room at all, for housekeeping.

Figuring the maids are making minimum wage and guesstimate about an hour per room I'm betting each room is about $30 /day (not even including cleaning supplies) - so that $10 savings to you is $20 to them.

If that is the case the Housekeepers are taking naps on my bed because in an hour they should be able to count out enough towels, leave more toiletries, leave cups and coffee and actually clean the floor ...............

This was a portion from an interview of someone who worked at the Wilderness Lodge ..... given that you can only opt out at values & moderates I would go with the higher number, maybe more per day rooms they are cleaning.

The workload ~

"At the lodge we had to clean 17 or 18 rooms a day. At Fort Wilderness we had 10 cabins, each one with a living room, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom. At the Grand Floridian we had 10 rooms. The number was fewer there because we were expected to change all the sheets on all the beds every day. The rooms were also marginally bigger."

"Most hotel rooms should take 15 minutes for an occupied room and 30 minutes for a check out. Cabins took about 20 minutes for an occupied cabin to 45 minutes for a check out. You had the same number of rooms assigned to you regardless of whether they were occupied of check outs because they're assigned by section. If you got lucky and had all occupied rooms, though, you were expected to check and see if someone else needed help when you were finished. Likewise if you had an unmanageable number of check outs, you could call the housekeeping base and let them know to send help if anyone was available."

[This was an interview done on Theme Park Tourist a few years ago, but I would imagine the cleaning timing was about the same.]

The problem seems to be the shortage, so it's the values and the moderates they are staffing at the lowest level, therefore offering the $10 per day.

Last year the Housekeeping shortage meant they were offering $500 signing bonuses. They make $10.15-10.50 per hour. Guess what, since this new "security check" they are now offering $1250 signing bonuses ..... sounds like maybe they are losing housekeepers. Nothing new has opened, nothing is even close to opening .......... but there are plenty of hotels and other service industries opening off property.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know if they call you at home before you arrive, what number or name will display on your phone? We among many screen calls and if they're unknown name unknown number we don't usually answer. If they don't leave a message we may miss an offer we might find perfect for us.

They called us before our trip in January. I had the phone on silent so I didn't realize they called until I noticed they had left me a VM. I think the message mentioned that we didn't need to stop by the front desk since we online check in and then they explained the gift card for opting out of housekeeping. Oddly, I believe right after she said we didn't have to check in at the front desk she said if we wanted to opt out of housekeeping we should stop by the front desk.

I would be interested to know if they call you at home before you arrive, what number or name will display on your phone? We among many screen calls and if they're unknown name unknown number we don't usually answer. If they don't leave a message we may miss an offer we might find perfect for us.

The good thing about the housekeeping opt-out thing is that at eligible results, you can get it just by going to the front desk as I understand it. So even if they don't leave a message, just go to the front desk and ask. Again, as long as you're at a participating resort. (Pretty sure it's only an option at Values and Mods.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!