Just put my BLT Contracts up for sale (mixed emotions)

That's true I have too many points (185) and I know I could rent them but I guess my decision isn't based just on yearly cost. My fear also stems on dvc placing more and more restrictions and the resale price will drop and won't be able to recoup what I paid. So ill just take my 24-25 grand now and invest it and either rent dvc or stay at value/moderates when I go. It really is the uncertainty of what dvc is doing that lead me to sell

Try to not make financial decisions based on fear. Or any decisions, really, other than jumping out of the way of buses and not walking on railroad tracks.

I guess maybe since we/I have owned since 2009 it’s easier to not have the wish to recoup my money. I’ve done so with the trips we took as a whole family and hosting extended family, then the last 4 years of me having cousin trips. Those have been more than worth the cost of the points (plus interest for having a loan for something like 8 years). The rest of the time will just be dues, for me.

If I were to sell I’m sure I wouldn’t say “no” to getting all the money back, I wouldn’t expect it. I didn’t buy a timeshare as an investment vehicle, after all.

You’ve owned a pretty short time, IMO. I’d hold off completely on this.

A resale buyer just walking in the door, with no back story, just like a brand new person buying a ticket for they first time and budgeting for a first time trip to Disney, isn’t going to know that things used to be better. So they’ll pay based on the current info, without discounting their price because it isn’t what it used to be.

I don’t like the changes, either, but Disney doesn’t seem to be listening to me lol. And in the last 4 years of no-park cousin trips I’ve kearned that you can have a very nice time without entering the theme parks, which is nice knowledge. If only I’d been putting aside the money for tickets those 4 years!

Last year the denizens of this board encouraged me to really think about my plans (to sell because of divorce), and I’m glad I stopped to think about it. They weren’t telling me what to do and I’m not telling you...I just encourage a bit more pondering and waiting.

And maybe actually pricing out some trips.

Best of luck.

I would argue deluxe locations but not necessarily deluxe accommodations... No maid service daily, sofa beds instead of real beds.... It's all sort of interesting.

The walk to MK is quite honestly "priceless"

DVC owner's don't care about daily mousekeeping, daily service is an intrusion. Sofa bed? Not an issue. Would prefer to sit on a sofa bed for reading or TV. So many options at Disney for everyone's preference.

To the OP: There's so much hype and uncertainty now. I don't see why renting can't take the urgency out of your options. But 25k in the bank sounds very good too!

We sold our points about five years ago, but the main driver was job loss.
Secondary was lack of housekeeping. Not daily housekeeping, but rather poor housekeeping. We found the rooms consistently dirty by our standards.
Also a factor was the decrease in Disney offerings, pleasure island being a major factor.

We never found DVC to be a truly deluxe accommodation as compared to the adjoining deluxe resort. We always found them to be a bit cheaper built.
Just our opinion of course. We find the most DVC properties to be an *appendage* to the host resort. GFV looks like a square box as opposed to looking looking at the structure of the GF.

We loved our years in DVC, but very happy we sold when we did.

The cost it would be for me to rent next year is less than what I would pay on my annual dues for 2020. It is a small difference but dues will keep increasing probably looking at another 8-10% increase the next couple years
I think this years MF increase was a scare for many but i don't think next year will be as bad. It will slow down a bit (I hope) because they will hopefully have reached the amount needed to fund the raises. They will continue to rise but so will the cost of rooms on property.

I don't see how your BLT MF could possibly cost more than renting -- the math doesn't make sense when you might be paying $7 or so per point for MF and renting for $17+ per point. Keep in mind rental costs are going to keep going up too. As well as the cost to stay in value and moderate resorts. There really is no escaping all these increases. The only way to escape the increases would be to stay off site.

As you know if you are staying moderate - it is usually equivalent to what you "pay" staying at a deluxe using your DVC. But hopefully you will make some money on your proceeds to make it worth selling. It sounds like you will be happy with the money in your pocket to use for other things.

I am not sure when you bought or what perks you have associated with your contract, but if you have perks -access to member events, buy AP or shopping/dining etc discounts, those are something else to factor in to a decision to sell. If you don't own -you will be missing out on. They might seem small but do add up over time. If you are renting - you are not in control of that reservation.

I guess for anyone who might be on the fence with selling but is not 100% sure I guess the best thing to do would be to commit to renting out your points for a couple of years and see if you like not being able to use your DVC. At least over this time the contract would be paying for itself (provided you don't have a loan on it) and if at that point you still want to sell - you sell at least knowing this is what you truly want. It can be a very emotional decision to purchase or sell, but if you have thought it through carefully that will hopefully ease any guilt or disappointment.

Last edited:

I got an offer on my contracts and got cold feet and decided to pull back on selling. Now booked a trip for February 2020 :)

For what it is worth, we owned an RV many years ago when our kids were little. Like almost every RV, it was a financial disaster in terms of depreciation and running costs.

However, almost every few weeks we traveled to state parks, took weekend trips, and spent a lot of time out as a family. We finally decided to "cut our losses" and sell the RV. We convinced ourselves we could always rent one, sleep in a tent, use one of the cabins at the parks, etc. and it would be much cheaper.

The reality was, we just stopped making weekend trips. Once the RV was gone, we never had the "we really should be using this" incentive to make weekend trips a regular thing.

Sometimes owning something like DVC is an important incentive to make sure you take the family vacations you will probably always appreciate.

This does not mean you should keep DVC if it is causing financial problems / stress (it is a luxury - it should not cause a financial meltdown if it goes sideways financially).

However, if you can afford it, don't discount the incentive to "use your points" in keeping vacations a family priority.

Sometimes owning something like DVC is an important incentive to make sure you take the family vacations you will probably always appreciate.

This does not mean you should keep DVC if it is causing financial problems / stress (it is a luxury - it should not cause a financial meltdown if it goes sideways financially).

However, if you can afford it, don't discount the incentive to "use your points" in keeping vacations a family priority.

This was, in fact, one of the reasons we bought DVC! Before DVC, we'd use vacation time to visit aging parents or to bring the family along on various work conferences that one or the other of us had. While this made "vacations" much more affordable (1 airfare plus hotel paid for), it was only a vacation for the kids. One parent was always thinking about work-related issues, the other parent was juggling 2 kids "on vacation." I am pleased to say that while we spend more on vacations now that we own DVC (we have to pay for ALL of our airfares and meals, not even counting paying for lodging), we have taken more true vacations since owning DVC.

Are you sure you couldn't swing it by renting out YOUR points every other year, and then using the proceeds for your trips?? You can get 13-14$ per point for BLT points.

Of course, BLT is a very strong seller -- you will be very happy with your proceeds. I just sold a contract for 150$pp. Ka ching!
BLT is a strong seller! I just purchased DVC in September and ask my guide about buying into BLT. She said it would take about a week to get me BLT as my home resort but my points would cost $225 apiece. As much as I wanted to own a BLT I had to pass on that offer and we bought at CC.

For what it is worth, we owned an RV many years ago when our kids were little. Like almost every RV, it was a financial disaster in terms of depreciation and running costs.

However, almost every few weeks we traveled to state parks, took weekend trips, and spent a lot of time out as a family. We finally decided to "cut our losses" and sell the RV. We convinced ourselves we could always rent one, sleep in a tent, use one of the cabins at the parks, etc. and it would be much cheaper.

The reality was, we just stopped making weekend trips. Once the RV was gone, we never had the "we really should be using this" incentive to make weekend trips a regular thing.

Just wanted to chime in and say this is an excellent point. Your example also hits close to home because my wife and I dream of owning a class-B motorhome (or at least a truck with a small trailer) so we can make frequent, spur of the moment weekend camping trips a reality.

I’m also hoping DVC will continually encourage us to go on real, out of state vacations more frequently. With how busy life gets, years often go by between trips out of California... but every time we do, we wish we did it more often. Then life happens again and it ends up on the back burner.

Here’s hoping my contract gets through ROFR...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter