Just Hold On, We're Going Home...All 11 of Us Are Going to Mickeystoontown's Home! Update 10/27

Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you & your family & neighbors during this time with all that's going on in Louisiana...I always forget your proximity to Baton Rouge but you've all been on my mind. Hope everything is ok!

Lisa I hope everyone is safe and sound with all of this terrible flooding going on in Louisiana. Take Care!!

Yum, a Kona breakfast. I agree with you on not being big breakfast eaters on vacation. The only reason I eat at Crystal Palace is to get into the MK early, and I usually end up making it a breakfast/lunch combo meal. I haven't had Kona in years, but I remember those pancakes being delicious! Glad you enjoyed them.
I had to chuckle at the biscuit in the photo. Even more I read the story behind it, I thought to myself, "That's somebody from the south right there." My dad would have looked at the server like they had 2 heads if they informed him breakfast didn't come with a biscuit. He would have insisted on one.
(And it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized not everyday had brinners -breakfast for dinner. To me, that's the best time of day to eat bacon and pancakes!)

Can't wait to read about the whole gang being together!

First off, I apologize for being away so long and for not responding to your posts. Life has been happening and I can't seem to stop it! This running between two jobs in about to wear me out and I don't see an end very soon. But, as I said before, I REFUSE to complain as the good Lord is providing for our family when I thought that we would have no jobs.

I have sent my new boss off to another Parish to court and I brought my flash drive to work with me. (I have all of my pictures on my old office computer but not here because others can log onto my computer.) Only problem is, the ones on the flash drive aren't in much order but I'll make do.

Sooooooo, I want to say thank you all for caring about us. I'm going to work on resizing enough pictures to make at least a couple of dis posts and I'll be back. I super duper promise!

Oh I am so so happy to see an update! I've been thinking of your family still. I can't wait for more posts but definitely take your time!

Thanks for checking in. Sorry you are crazy busy, but like you said, beats the alternative.

Thoughts are with all the folks in Louisiana going through unimaginable devastation and heartbreak.

:grouphug:

THEY ARE HERE! MICKEYSTOONTOWN'S GANG IS HERE!

I got a call from Lacey not long after we got back to the resort. They were here! We hopped into the car and drove over to the Custom House to give them a proper welcome! Hugs were exchanged all around! We hadn't seen them all since Thanksgiving. Jesse's parents hadn't made it yet. They don't get in any hurry and think that taking it slow getting somewhere is fun to them. Don't get me wrong, I like a good road trip but when I'm going to Disney, I wanna get there and get there as soon as I possibly can. But, in their defense, they hadn't been to WDW before and didn't know how deeply they were going to fal lin love with it. Anyway, I hung out with everybody at check-in and after check-in was done, John took the guys to the building we were in while I stayed with the gals and we got our luau tickets.

Once all of that was done, we drove over to our building in Jamaica and helped unload everybody's stuff. We were all assigned the same buildings, four rooms in a row which was perfect. Our room did not have a pull down bed, Lacey and Jesse who were next door had one, the next room did not and then the last room had the pull down bed. I told Lacey that I wanted to take a picture of the pull down really quickly before we brought more things in.

IMG_0540 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0541 (768x1024).jpg

The pull down beds were fairly new to the resort and I thought that they were a great addition. Now families of five can book a room at the CBR. Pictures taken, we went back to the cars to unload more stuff. Lacey and I were pulling some of their luggage across the parking lot when one of the wheels on a suitcase shredded off. Just like a blown tire. The pieces just kept on coming off the outside of the wheel but it still rolled so we kept on a pullin' it.

Jesse's brother and his wife and their daughter were in much need of some rest so they laid down for naps. John, Hunter and I hung out with Jesse, Jeremiah (the other brother) and Lacey. Jeremiah was like a little kid. I'm serious! He was talking a mile a minute and telling us everything that he was going to see and do and buy. He had been doing major research on where to find this and where to find that. He wanted to do it all! That's my kinda guy! I believe that we went over to Old Port Royale and showed Jeremiah around and maybe grabbed a quick bite to eat. A few hours later, Jesse's parents rolled in and they got settled in their room. Everybody was in love with the resort and happy to be together in the most magical place on Earth!

The afternoon went by quickly...too quickly....we soon realized that we were going to have to hustle to get to our dinner reservation at Boma. In hindsight, we shoulda just taken our vehicles to Boma. Instead, we took a bus to a park and then transferred to an Animal Kingdom Lodge bus. We were almost late for our ADR but we made it. While we checked in, Hunter took control of the camera and took a few pictures for me.

The restaurant itself is stunningly beautiful! Portions of dining area sit underneath a thatched roof and the furniture and fixtures are so gorgeous and unique.

IMG_0542 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0543 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0544 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0547 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0548 (768x1024).jpg

Boma serves both breakfast and dinner and features an exhibit kitchen, wood burning grill and rotisserie. This restaurant is set up differently than other buffets in that Boma has “pods” or sections much like those found on the Disney Cruise Line ships. Each pod has a selection of food and most have a chef on hand to answer any guest questions. While a visit to the typical buffet means starting at one end and working your way to the other, it is perfectly acceptable to visit only the pods serving the foods that you want. There are plates and bowls near each of the pods which makes it convenient to pop over to the various pods.

IMG_0549 (768x1024).jpg

I took only my cellphone to take pictures. As I did at the gospel brunch, I took these pictures quickly so as not to hold up the other guests. In addition to the meats at the carving station, other meats and fish were available as well. I'll go ahead and apologize for the quality of the pictures folks but I was trying to take 'em quickly.

IMG_0550 (768x1024).jpg

**Continued in next post

Last edited:
Savoring the Flavors!

While I was getting my plate and handing one back to John, Lacey took my phone and I later found this in my pictures:
IMG_0551 (768x1024).jpg

If you are worried that you won’t know what a certain food is, worry no more. There are small signs on top of the buffets giving the names of the dish and the signs sometimes even have a short description.
IMG_0552 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0555 (768x1024).jpg

There was quite a selection of soups and stews including butternut squash, chicken corn chowder and Buerwors Sausage Stew. A bit further along, was an assortment of casseroles, vegetables and side dishes such as peanut butter rice, mashed potatoes, spiced sweet potatoes and couscous. For those seeking the more “American classics”, there were, among other dishes, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, peas and corn and broccoli.

IMG_0556 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0558 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0559 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0560 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0561 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0562 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0564 (768x1024).jpg

**Continued in next post

Savor the Flavors!

I should have apologized before now for the random order the pictures are in. I took pictures as I was filling my plate and I'd try to snap pictures of other foods around me. Then, when I went back to another pod, I'd snap more pictures. Thus, the willy-nilly order.

I love salad and was very impressed by wide variety of salads from which to choose. You could make your own salad using the lettuce provided and adding the toppings of your choice or you could have one of the freshly prepared salads. I tried a little of almost all of them and while some were a little “different” in my opinion, I was pleased with those that I did like. There were other types of salads like slaw, vegetable salad and pasta salad.

IMG_0566 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0567 (768x1024).jpg

The last food station was the dessert station and there were all sorts of desserts to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth. There were zebra domes, cassava cakes, Kenyan coffee tarts and an assortment of cookies and brownies. For guests wanting a more healthy sweet choice, the station also had fresh melon, strawberries, pineapple and grapes.

IMG_0568 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0570 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0571 (768x1024).jpg IMG_0566 (768x1024).jpg IMG_0567 (768x1024).jpg IMG_0568 (768x1024).jpg IMG_0570 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0571 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_0572 (768x1024).jpg

Crap, here are two really out of order pictures but I'm thinking that I took these when I went back up to the bread station. One pod had nothing but breads and the spreads to go with them as well as butter. I have only one picture of the bread selection which shows the rolls, cornbread muffins, butter and just a small part of one of the several bowls of hummus.

IMG_0574 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0575 (768x1024).jpg

**Continued in next post

Savor the Flavor!

IMG_0577 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0578 (768x1024).jpg

We all sampled a little of this and a little of that and went back for seconds of our favorites. I have to say that some of the foods that we tried were not to our liking but there was so much that we did enjoy that we were very satisfied with our meal. The chicken corn chowder was a favorite as were the Durban-style Roasted Chicken, Pork Shoulder and Kool Slaai.

IMG_0580 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0582 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0583 (768x1024).jpg

UGH! What the heck is up with the Dis? I just realized that my pictures are all over the dang place in my previous posts. First, the posts were disappearing on me and I'd have to start all over again because they were blank and now they are all out of whack. I think that I'll stop here even though I'm only half way through this update. I'll come back later and see if it is still acting a fool. At least I got something posted though which is 99.9% better than I've done the last two months.

Yay for everyone's arrival! Can't wait to hear about ya'll showing the newbies around.

Boma is one of my favorite Disney restaurants. It has been a few years since we have been, but I love the exotic cuisine, the soups, the carved items, the salads, the desserts, EVERYTHING!!!

And as you pointed out, the restaurant is gorgeous too.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and I look forward to seeing more when you get to it.

paw:

I think we'll have to give Boma a try when we go back next year. Looks good! Can't wait for more updates!!

My DW and I Love BOMA! Next time you're there try some of the Butternut Squash soup! OMG - to die for!!! Hot soup in the summer in Florida doesn't seem to make much sense but I always make an exception for this soup! Now that we live about 30 miles away from WDW we can stop at BOMA several times a year.

BTW, don't fret about not posting as often as you'd like to. I've seen no one complain and we all understand part of what you're going thru! Take your time, we'll be around for the end of this ride!

I'm in the minority with BOMA, I've tried it 3 times now and I just don't care for it. Something about the seasonings puts me off. I do like the carrot ginger soup, but that's about it. The rest of my family like it a lot, which is why I've tried it 3 times now. I'm gonna try to talk them out of it, or just go someplace else myself our next trip though.

Terri

I'm in the minority with BOMA, I've tried it 3 times now and I just don't care for it. Something about the seasonings puts me off. I do like the carrot ginger soup, but that's about it. The rest of my family like it a lot, which is why I've tried it 3 times now. I'm gonna try to talk them out of it, or just go someplace else myself our next trip though.

Terri
I don't care for Boma either. I thought Jiko, across the way was great.

WOHOOOOOOOOOOO Everyone is all together!!!
I love the pull down! mickey and pluto are ADORABLE!!
SO FUN he is over the moon to get his Disney vacation under way!!!
Boma.. Looks delish. But it's not on my top 10 to try... Once we stay at AKL we would try it..

Can't wait to see all the shenanigans will ensue!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter