Just curious- when did Disney start allowing wagons?

tykayausjake

Mouseketeer
Just returned on Sat from a week in the parks and had a wonderful time! But when did Disney start allowing the giant wagons in? My hubby called them kiddie mobile homes and he’s not wrong. Some of them were just huge! Last I knew, wagons weren’t allowed at all.

As long as they can be pushed, they are technically allowed. Although, I've seen people pulling some.

Someone figured out the loophole of making something to the maximum size Disney allows for strollers and that could technically be pushed. They don't really fit the spirit of the rules, but they do, unfortunately, fit the letter of them.

I keep hoping Disney changes the rules for strollers to something that will close that loophole that allows wagons. But I ain't holding my breath.

That brand of wagon even states on their website that they are allowed in the Disney parks (check the FAQs). It is because they can be pushed, not pulled. If they are pulled, then they are breaking the park rules and a CM should be notified.

We saw a lot of the push ones at WDW in Oct......from a rental company
Last week we saw a couple push ones and some pull ones at DLR.
The handle of the one we have at home always falls down, I was assuming that is why it has to be the push ones, but there were several roaming around.

As others have noted, these kiddie mobile homes / playrooms on wheels (great names, BTW) are allowed because they are pushed, not pulled. This seems to not be within the spirit of the rules, but there you go.

We saw SO MANY in January! Most had shade canopies and could fit multiple children along with several backpacks or tote bags. They are massive.

While they look huge (due to the canopy) they really are not larger than a regular stroller, and often smaller than a double stroller. They are 34 inches long, and 19 inches wide. A Phil and Ted's stroller is 41" x 23". A McClaren single is 33" x 18", and a double is 48"x 30". My grandson's Joovy (he just turned 3, is the size of a 5-6yo, but we think he is done with the stroller for Disneyland) is 46x23. The Keenz footprint is actually smaller than many of these strollers. But the canopy makes then look larger, and they can hold 2 kids.

While they look huge (due to the canopy) they really are not larger than a regular stroller, and often smaller than a double stroller. They are 34 inches long, and 19 inches wide. A Phil and Ted's stroller is 41" x 23". A McClaren single is 33" x 18", and a double is 48"x 30". My grandson's Joovy (he just turned 3, is the size of a 5-6yo, but we think he is done with the stroller for Disneyland) is 46x23. The Keenz footprint is actually smaller than many of these strollers. But the canopy makes then look larger, and they can hold 2 kids.

Fair point, the width is the issue when transiting through DL. Those double-wide strollers look beast-like, I'd feel uncomfortable trying to maneuver that around reasonably.

I think people partially take issue with the wagon pull ban, but wagon push is implicitly allowed.

Best way to view this is that it's just a boxy, long stroller.

We saw some at the park last year. Kind of an interesting concept. We had a sit and stand and those are pretty long and very common. It sounds like these new push wagons are not any bigger than the sit and stands. I've seen people with long double strollers and they've also attached a little roller behind for a 3rd child to stand. And that's allowed! Strollers are a pain for everyone including those of us who have to push them. We're hoping we won't need ours for our 3 year old this summer at LEGOLAND.

We saw several while at WDW in December, and they were not being pushed, but pulled along. I thought that was allowed, but apparently not!
You are right. Disney won't "push" back or change the rules quickly, which is a shame.

It can feel like a weapon when the person pushing the wagon is texting instead of looking where they are going and runs into you! PSA: Texting and driving a stroller/wagon/car = bad news!

I have some pictures of a nasty mark I got on the back of my leg from a stroller (not a wagon, but one of the behemoth ones that some cannot seem to control/use like a battering ram). Took a couple weeks for it to heal fully. The operator was in her own world not paying attention and ran me down without even an apology:crutches:

It wasn't even a crowded day/area when it happened either. Just a person who should not have been driving one if she couldn't keep her eyes on the road.

I'm a big fan of umbrella strollers. Much easier to maneuver for the operators and I've yet to have one cause me pain when it runs into me (so I'm extra biased in their favor). Not a fan of the rolling lockers that are just theft targets anyways. Hated when a friend I was with one time used a big stroller for their toddler. They could barely operate it and clipped a lot of heels. Went much better with an umbrella on a different visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!