Just bought into Rivera DVC, thinking of cancelling and buying non-direct.

Regardless of which resort you buy, make sure to look for a loaded contract. You can often negotiate for a better deal on the dues portion of the contract. We purchased 250 OKW resale which was actually two contracts (100/150) already more valuable (easier to sell) that had two years worth of points plus current year. We negotiated 250 points $0 dues and 250 points for about $3.75 per point...and 250 at the current rate, so we started this resale with 750 points up front. A higher asking price might turn out to be a better value if you can rent out the excess to offset the cost of the contract or stay in a crazy expensive grand villa to celebrate...either way you win.

One concern I have is with the maintenance fees. I believe there are some Florida laws governing maintenance fees but am not sure what they are.

One concern I have is with the maintenance fees. I believe there are some Florida laws governing maintenance fees but am not sure what they are.

Not really. There are limits on the increase in the non-real estate tax portion of the fees, but those limits are pretty high anyway. Property tax is always added as the actual amount, no cap.

not matter what you do don't buy a large contract like 250. You should split it up so you can sell one if you need too. Like 100 and 150 point contracts.

One thing we don't like are the buses, we do like monorail or boat. Personally I like the boat because it is enjoyable trip on a boat.

I love the boat to anywhere at Disney it's a really nice way to relax especially after a long day in the parks. It appears you have backed out on Riviera couple of things:

The incentives to buy there were better before 10/31
The incentives will continue to be reduced after 12/16 if they have any at all which I believe they will
Riviera is the cheapest place to buy from Disney if direct is your preferred way of buying.

Given you seem to be young life of the contract of the resorts needs to be considered when buying any of the resorts
I will say some of the advice given above isn't always neutral and it probably has a little bias so use it as a guide not as a concrete guideline

I also agree with most posters about smaller contracts they will be easier to offload if you decide to in the future and buying at a couple of resorts allows you to book at two different resorts at 11 months for split stays if you like to do that as well. I am a fan of a split stay it adds a twist in the itinerary.

I love the boat to anywhere at Disney it's a really nice way to relax especially after a long day in the parks. It appears you have backed out on Riviera couple of things:

The incentives will continue to be reduced after 12/16 if they have any at all which I believe they will
Riviera is the cheapest place to buy from Disney if direct is your preferred way of buying.

Given you seem to be young life of the contract of the resorts needs to be considered when buying any of the resorts
I will say some of the advice given above isn't always neutral and it probably has a little bias so use it as a guide not as a concrete guideline

I also agree with most posters about smaller contracts they will be easier to offload if you decide to in the future and buying at a couple of resorts allows you to book at two different resorts at 11 months for split stays if you like to do that as well. I am a fan of a split stay it adds a twist in the itinerary.

Actually, there were a few levels that were better after 10/31..not better then the initial, but definitely, from what they were mid October. Its the reason that I went from 130 to 175...because the 175 was a better deal once those happened,

Just wanted to add that boat rides are great and have taken the boat from Contemporary around Bay Lake just for fun. Got on and just never got off when it stopped at WL or FW!

Actually, there were a few levels that were better after 10/31..not better then the initial, but definitely, from what they were mid October. Its the reason that I went from 130 to 175...because the 175 was a better deal once those happened,

Just wanted to add that boat rides are great and have taken the boat from Contemporary around Bay Lake just for fun. Got on and just never got off when it stopped at WL or FW!

The boats really are the nicest way to get around and are calming too. My sons give me a hard time about taking the boats (takes too long in their opinion) but my daughter-in-law loves the boat so my oldest has to be careful where he treads on the boat issue. :)

It sounds like OP is either going to buy 100 direct maximum, or buy all resale; in either case there are almost no incentives. Perhaps if he bought and then added on 100 points as a current owner there may be some incentive?

It sounds like OP is either going to buy 100 direct maximum, or buy all resale; in either case there are almost no incentives. Perhaps if he bought and then added on 100 points as a current owner there may be some incentive?

I myself, if buying direct, would buy the minimum to receive the incentive it's still a small enough contract to resell later and considering how many points it takes to stay sometimes 160 isn't really a lot. I am not against resale so adding more points by resale later I am not against. I do prefer full access so it's all on the buyer and what they will truly be happy with.

I know that many who buy with the intent of banking and borrowing and going once every 2 years usually morphs to once a year to twice a year and then the addonitis disease moniker starts to get thrown around.

Vacation habits change over time as people see more value in taking their families more often especially as their salaries grow and their debt lowers they wish they bought more points etc, etc, etc. So when buying all options should be on the table and don't shortchange savings or the amount of points your future regrets are something I know about and they are extremely hard to swallow.

My opinion: BLT is the way to go. Reasons: walk to MK and extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 bedroom unit.

One small question is say I only have enough points for a standard room at home resort, can I rent points if for a special occasion stay wanted to upgrade to one or two bedroom suite ( on occasion might want to bring grandparents ) ? I can see not having enough points even after borrowing or banking, and would have to rent more, can I use these rented points combined with owned points to upgrade at the 11 to 7 months out ? Or even pay cash ? How would the cash needed be calculated ?

One small question is say I only have enough points for a standard room at home resort, can I rent points if for a special occasion stay wanted to upgrade to one or two bedroom suite ( on occasion might want to bring grandparents ) ? I can see not having enough points even after borrowing or banking, and would have to rent more, can I use these rented points combined with owned points to upgrade at the 11 to 7 months out ? Or even pay cash ? How would the cash needed be calculated ?

To use the points yourself, you would need to get a points transfer. Points rental is when another owner makes a booking for you, as a separate stay. They would control the booking, even though you are also an owner.

The cash needed would be figured as a private transaction between you and the other owner, either way.

Disney also will sell you 24 points at 7 months for (currently) $19 each. This is a hard limit.

To use the points yourself, you would need to get a points transfer. Points rental is when another owner makes a booking for you, as a separate stay. They would control the booking, even though you are also an owner.

The cash needed would be figured as a private transaction between you and the other owner, either way.

Disney also will sell you 24 points at 7 months for (currently) $19 each. This is a hard limit.

Thanks for the info. After thinking about things for a while we are leaning either towards Polynesian or Grand Floridian with CCV a possibility as well. I like Grand Floridian because the 2 bedroom villas are not that much more expensive than the 1 bedroom ones, downside is Poly is better for kids. Poly would be hard if we wanted grandparents to come because then we would need two rooms and I'm not sure what the availability would be 7 months out. I wonder about if Poly always has balcony lakeside room available 11 months out, as all rooms don't have balconies. I'm thinking of 200 points at Grand Floridan ( which we would go once every 2 years so could get 1 bedroom villa ), or 100 points at Poly to get studio once every 2 years. The amount spent is not that important too us, but getting value for the amount is what we are most concerned about.

One other thing is we have 2 kids but trying for a 3rd next years so would need sleeping for 5, but CCV one bedroom says 4 is limit.

One other thing is we have 2 kids but trying for a 3rd next years so would need sleeping for 5, but CCV one bedroom says 4 is limit.
When considering where to purchase, think of your family 5, 10, etc. years from now. With a 17yo and an almost 13yo, we always stay in a 1 (at BLT or Kidani for the extra bathroom) or 2 bedroom unit now. We used to stay in studios when they were younger.

Poly has always been my favorite resort, but we now need 2 studios when we stay there. The 2BR at VGF are beautiful! We've had one of those too.

And that limit of 4 at CCV is firm - no bringing an air mattress and having someone sleep on the floor. You won't be allowed to book 5 in a CCV one bedroom. So I guess you're looking at Poly or VGF.

Personally, I'd go for VGF because of the flexibility in villa sizes, their one-bedrooms are gorgeous, in-unit laundry would likely be very useful with kids (we use it, and it's just DH and I!), and the full kitchen is wonderful as well.

BTW, the 2021 points charts came out today. I don't know where you can get a copy without being a member, but I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction. There are now 7 seasons instead of 5, so you need to review them to be sure you buy enough points for your plan.

ETA here's the link to the 2021 points charts - I didn't realize they're not behind the member login.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/points-charts/

Thanks for the info. After thinking about things for a while we are leaning either towards Polynesian or Grand Floridian with CCV a possibility as well. I like Grand Floridian because the 2 bedroom villas are not that much more expensive than the 1 bedroom ones, downside is Poly is better for kids. Poly would be hard if we wanted grandparents to come because then we would need two rooms and I'm not sure what the availability would be 7 months out. I wonder about if Poly always has balcony lakeside room available 11 months out, as all rooms don't have balconies. I'm thinking of 200 points at Grand Floridan ( which we would go once every 2 years so could get 1 bedroom villa ), or 100 points at Poly to get studio once every 2 years. The amount spent is not that important too us, but getting value for the amount is what we are most concerned about.

All PVB DVC units have balconies. It's the hotel side that does not. Almost every single studio at PVB connects to another studio. It's just a request but an option for the odd time you might be traveling with someone else.

What is the length of stay of your trips? 200 points at VGF for an every other year trip is vs 100 PVB for the every other year trip is quite a variance. It really shows the premium for a 1BR vs a studio and determining if that's really important. If you hit the parks pretty hard and otherwise are happy with a hotel room then it may not be.

CCV will not work for you once the child reaches the age of 3 unless you plan to start booking 2BR's there. There are quite a few studios and other 1BR's that do allow 5 in a room though.

And that limit of 4 at CCV is firm - no bringing an air mattress and having someone sleep on the floor. You won't be allowed to book 5 in a CCV one bedroom. So I guess you're looking at Poly or VGF.

Personally, I'd go for VGF because of the flexibility in villa sizes, their one-bedrooms are gorgeous, in-unit laundry would likely be very useful with kids (we use it, and it's just DH and I!), and the full kitchen is wonderful as well.

BTW, the 2021 points charts came out today. I don't know where you can get a copy without being a member, but I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction. There are now 7 seasons instead of 5, so you need to review them to be sure you buy enough points for your plan.

ETA here's the link to the 2021 points charts - I didn't realize they're not behind the member login.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/points-charts/

Thanks for the points info. I think the new points will help us. We were initially thinking of mainly doing fall, week of thanksgiving, but our kids actually get out of school mid-may so looking now at end of may or early June.

From your most recent posts, specifically "The amount spent is not that important too us, but getting value for the amount is what we are most concerned about." I think GFV is the way to go. Size of villas and amenities such as a kitchen and W/D are non-negotiable in my opinion. Being on the monorail gives you quick access to MK, EPCOT and other monorail resorts which is priceless as you are not isolated. Kids do grow up and space to spread out and be "at home" makes everyone happy. You've certainly heard lots of opinions and I'm sure you'll be thrilled with your choice of home resort!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter