Just booked my first RCL trip, help a DCL girl out.

On Royal vs Disney you need to make reservations for the shows every night. The problem is the shows don’t play every night and you sometimes get a conflict.
As of now you can’t book the shows until you get onboard. As soon as you board get a list of all the shows and book right away.
Or follow a page for group that has your same itinerary the main shows will probably be the same but the Headliner and Comedian may change who is performing but the times will be the same (or close)
Here is a list of the shows from a recent Harmony of the Seas cruise.
For example:
I need to see Grease on Day 1 so I can see A Journey In Time Day 2. So I can see ISkate Day 6
32651408-CF35-4E7F-8702-A1DC44E1E81B.png

Last edited:
There were 1500 people on our sailing and disembarking was SUPER smooth and not crowded at all. It was a breath of fresh air compared to my October Dream sailing where everyone lined up in the foyer waiting to get off. Disembarking begins around 7am or so and continues until around 10:30 but they usually call groups early.

When cruising, I only bring carry-on. With Disney this means I ignore the character luggage tags and boarding groups (as well as the scheduled breakfast time in the MDR) and just line up and walk off whenever I'm ready. Is this possible with RC?

I just got off the Odyssey of the Seas and can definitely confirm that you there are about 30 or so disembarking groups and you can stay in your room until your group is called via the TV or the intercom if you choose to go to breakfast.
Obligatory question - did you get to meet crew member and YouTuber Chris Wong?

When cruising, I only bring carry-on. With Disney this means I ignore the character luggage tags and boarding groups (as well as the scheduled breakfast time in the MDR) and just line up and walk off whenever I'm ready. Is this possible with RC?
Pre-COVID people with only carry-on could walk off whenever. Not sure about now.

Honestly we prefer RCCL. Your teens should have a blast. We much prefer RCCL food. We don’t ever do specialty dining but we are basic. My son loves having a shrimp cocktail at night. MTD dining pre Covid wasn’t great as without a reservation super long waits. So we only did MTD WITH reservations. Post Covid with lower numbers no idea. late dining too late for our son.

make Sure they attend the first night meet and greet in teen club. I hear that makes a real difference. Pre Covid our son was only 11 so have t experience teen club yet.

don’t miss the aqua show and ice show. Always great. if any shows are 18+ (like comedy) it will say it.

when first on board get waivers signed so they can use flow rider, zip line etc. line to sign gets longer.

it will be obvious if something is extra cost like escape room. Most things I feel are included.

you do have to pay for soda. Tea and lemonade is free. I do sodapackage just to not think iof it. I drink water from buffet with no issue so don’t need bottle water often. We went drinkers.

the Pizza place is a great place to get an evening snack and water.

have so much fun!

Regarding the Deluxe (ie: Alcohol) package. Do some simple math. Cocktails are around $13-15 (including tip) each. Beers I think are $4-5 (could be wrong). Bottled water about the same price. So, how much would you drink each day? Don't forget if you're on a port intensive cruise, you "lose" that time on the ship (with the exception being at the private islands).

Assuming a package price of $60/day, you'd need to have at least four cocktails every day to break even. Maybe you'd drink that. One time I got the package, and I was always concerned about getting my "money's worth". I might have, but found I was drinking more than I normally would and I was pressuring myself to make the money work. YMMV.

We just got off the Harmony for a Thanksgiving Cruise. There were supposed to be around 4400 of the possible 6000 passengers, so they are definitely increasing capacity. We did 8 DCL cruises before trying RCCL and we have never looked back. We will be Daimond+ in 2022. This was our third RCCL cruise since cruising resumed. One in July and one in September also. The first two we disembarked just like others said by waiting until our group number was called. The Thanksgiving Cruise however we were told we could disembark at our leisure once we were cleared to disembark. (Carrying our luggage off ourselves). We were off the ship be 7:30. Be sure to download the Royal Caribbean App to your phone. It will come in handy frequently. You even do your muster drill on the App then report to your assigned muster station to show them you completed it and they check you off the list. Takes two minutes tops. You also answer your health questionnaire on the App the day before boarding. We did the Muster while at breakfast at our hotel the morning of embarkation then when we got onboard headed to the station to be checked off. try to find a Facebook group for your specific cruise and request to join. Can be very helpful. You get numerous eyes watching for things like earlier Embarkation times posted, Price drops on cabins, sales on Cruise Planner items, etc. They posted some 11:00 boarding times just a few weeks before the cruise, so don't stop checking. About a month before the cruise someone in our group posted there was a major price drop on cabins and we had our TA check. Since we were already PIF they gave us a $1,259 OBC! If you ever get the chance book one that has a stop at Perfect Day CoCo Cay. WAAAAY better than Castaway Cay IMHO! Largest water slide in North America and Largest fresh water pool in the Caribbean. Tons of YOUTUBE videos of complete walkthroughs. Also if you have the Beverage / Deluxe Beverage package they carry over to CoCo Cay and internet Pkg. as well. Happy Cruising!

We just got off the Harmony for a Thanksgiving Cruise. There were supposed to be around 4400 of the possible 6000 passengers, so they are definitely increasing capacity. We did 8 DCL cruises before trying RCCL and we have never looked back. We will be Daimond+ in 2022. This was our third RCCL cruise since cruising resumed. One in July and one in September also. The first two we disembarked just like others said by waiting until our group number was called. The Thanksgiving Cruise however we were told we could disembark at our leisure once we were cleared to disembark. (Carrying our luggage off ourselves). We were off the ship be 7:30. Be sure to download the Royal Caribbean App to your phone. It will come in handy frequently. You even do your muster drill on the App then report to your assigned muster station to show them you completed it and they check you off the list. Takes two minutes tops. You also answer your health questionnaire on the App the day before boarding. We did the Muster while at breakfast at our hotel the morning of embarkation then when we got onboard headed to the station to be checked off. try to find a Facebook group for your specific cruise and request to join. Can be very helpful. You get numerous eyes watching for things like earlier Embarkation times posted, Price drops on cabins, sales on Cruise Planner items, etc. They posted some 11:00 boarding times just a few weeks before the cruise, so don't stop checking. About a month before the cruise someone in our group posted there was a major price drop on cabins and we had our TA check. Since we were already PIF they gave us a $1,259 OBC! If you ever get the chance book one that has a stop at Perfect Day CoCo Cay. WAAAAY better than Castaway Cay IMHO! Largest water slide in North America and Largest fresh water pool in the Caribbean. Tons of YOUTUBE videos of complete walkthroughs. Also if you have the Beverage / Deluxe Beverage package they carry over to CoCo Cay and internet Pkg. as well. Happy Cruising!
Sailing on the Harmony soon we have a 11am boarding time. Do you know what time the parking garage opens? What time they let you in the terminal?

Last edited:

Sailing on the Harmony soon we have a 11am boarding time. Do you know what time the parking garage opens? What time they let you in the terminal?
Not sure about the parking garage because we had a transport from airport. But they started letting us into the Terminal around 10:20. WE had everything done prior to arrival Check in, photo submitted, front and back of Covid Card submitted on APP, health Questionnaire completed on APP, Muster Drill completed on APP. Boarding pass, Passport, Covid Card in Hand. Outside they queued everyone in lines, PInnacle and Key, Diamond Plus, etc. That was how they allowed us into the Terminal. Once we were checked in they boarded the B2Bs first, then Pinnacle, then Suites, etc. We had the Key and a were Royal Up'ed into a Jr. Suite so not sure what happened after we boarded. It was definitely more controlled rather than the throngs pushing to get onboard. Happy Cruising

Have done both, now more loyal to RC. However, compared to when we last did Disney in 2013 here is what I recalled (in no particular order);

1. Disney is definitely pricier if you are happy not getting a big suite on RCL. Many DCL fans argue that RC will nickel and dime you for non alcoholic drinks etc., some experiences like the Escape room, and that is likely true. However you would need to balance this against the extra costs for the cruise itself.
2. I found that on the largest of RC ships, the crew felt a bit overwhelmed with the volume of passengers. Less so on 'smaller' ships like Quantum class or Freedom Class. Having said that that was on my last experience on Harmony when it was a new ship and judging by the workers' comments I sense that there were a lot of kinks that have to be sorted out. I was last on Anthem and I did not sense any of this stress at all.
3. Palo on DCL was probably the best cruise restaurant I've eaten at. I liked it better than Remy, as well as when compared to Chops, 150 Central Park on RCL. But that was back in 2013 and I hear that it may not as be as high quality as before.
4. For young kids (i.e. 12 and under) can't beat the offerings that DCL has to offer. Now they have more themed offerings like Avengers etc. I hear. However my kids in their teens now say RCL has much more to offer: flow rider, laser tag, the trampooline thing, ifly. The new virtual reality thing on Odyssey looks cool but haven't tried it.
5. As adults we found the larger RC ships had more places to just sit (that were not out in the sun) chill compared to Disney. From what I recall from the Disney Dream and Fantasy, adults could sit in the cafe, and in the main atrium area, but there weren't a ton of seats that didn't require you to be on the pool deck. RCL ships have the promenade in its larger boats (or the Esplanade on Quantum class), central park on Oasis class etc. - seemed to be more places to relax indoors when you get sick of the sun (first world problem I know!)
6. I'm not big into the stage shows, but Disney has its name associated with it which provides some legitimacy production wise. Having said that I've seen some of the broadway musicals on Royal - while I'm not a big musical, the production value and the talent seemed top notch to me.
7. I personally like the decor on DCL as well as the newer RC ships (harmony, Symphony, Anthem and later). Some of the eariler RC ships have decor that is a bit outdated but this is a very very very minor point in my eyes.
8. If you have kids who want to see characters, DCL is perfect. However see to what extent they are still offering this these days. RC used to have the Dreamworks characters available for photos etc.
9. DCL cabins have the split bathroom idea to allow someone to use the shower/bath separate from the toilet. Makes a difference with more people in the room. Getting two cabins on RCL is do-able price wise, and not far off from a DCL booking (when I last checked - haven't checked recently).
10. Found the dining in DCL main dining rooms a bit better than RCL's, but both in the end serve food that is a ton better than what we would cook ourselves so can't go wrong with either.

Hope that helps the OP.

So CoCo Cay is better than Castaway? I saw that in an above post. I guess that is subjective
but good to know because my kids love waterparks.

Have yet to do CocoCay - will (hopefully) let you know after our post-Xmas cruise.
We loved Castaway when we last did it in 2013, more so than Labadee which is Royal's other private island.

So CoCo Cay is better than Castaway? I saw that in an above post. I guess that is subjective
They've overhauled Coco Cay to the point where it looks like a destination instead of a beach with amenities. I haven't been there yet, so have no point of reference, but it doesn't seem like an apples to apples comparison.

What I liked about Castaway Cay was that there were nice beaches to just lounge about, but also some more recreational areas as well (for example, the structure with the water slides out in the water) and some recreational activities like feeding stingrays that my kids enjoyed.
Provided you're happy with what you're paying, can't really go wrong with either Royal or DCL.

Just got back from a Coco Cay cruise.
I liked Coco Cay better.
Lots!! more places to be. Plenty of beach chairs in different places all over the island. You can pick a place and never see the water slides ( once you sit down).
There is a pool that is available at no extra charge. The food is so much better on Coco Cay. More to choose from and more places to get food. Coco has the large buffet area but also some small areas where you can grab a burger.
There is an extra charge for the water park but many people pay for excursions on Castaway and other port stops. So if you have kids (or adults 🤣) that want an active day the water park is great.

Just got back from a Coco Cay cruise.
I liked Coco Cay better.
Lots!! more places to be. Plenty of beach chairs in different places all over the island. You can pick a place and never see the water slides ( once you sit down).
There is a pool that is available at no extra charge. The food is so much better on Coco Cay. More to choose from and more places to get food. Coco has the large buffet area but also some small areas where you can grab a burger.
There is an extra charge for the water park but many people pay for excursions on Castaway and other port stops. So if you have kids (or adults 🤣) that want an active day the water park is great.

We always enjoy our stops at Coco Cay. We have been back 4 times since cruising resumed in July. We also just recently returned from our Thanksgiving week trip and Coco Cay was the last stop. If you are on Facebook you might want to join "Coco Cay - The Perfect Day" the group has 32K members and growing. Happy Cruising! Merry Christmas

Coco Cay's waterpark is an extra cost option. The island itself is beautiful and I'd rate the non-uncharge facilities to be equivalent to Castaway Cay.

Coco Cay's waterpark is an extra cost option. The island itself is beautiful and I'd rate the non-uncharge facilities to be equivalent to Castaway Cay.
Castaway Cay does not have the largest freshwater pool in the Caribbean with a swim up bar that is free of charge. Snack Shacks scattered around also. Yes the water park is an upcharge to ride the tallest water slide in North America, all the other slides, the wave pool, zip lines. There aren't even options at Castaway. Plus you have already paid more for your cruise than if you cruised with Royal and paid the upcharge for the water park. IMHO Coco Cay is hands down better. Apples to oranges.

I booked a last minute cruise on Allure over Christmas this past Sunday. I could only get a 2:00 boarding time. I know you can only book the shows once onboard. Will I be out of luck for things by then? Do they have a walk-up option at all?

I booked a last minute cruise on Allure over Christmas this past Sunday. I could only get a 2:00 boarding time. I know you can only book the shows once onboard. Will I be out of luck for things by then? Do they have a walk-up option at all?
Really can't say one way or the other. Will say to keep checking your App if you have it downloaded to your phone. If not, I would highly recommend downloading it. They frequently open up more boarding times. check in your app multiple times a day. Also be aware if an earlier time does open, don't forget that you have to get everybody in your group the timeframe or else the others will stay at 2:00. If the Key is still available, that will get you boarded with the Pinnacle and Suite guests also. Happy Cruising.

P.S. also with the APP, you can do your Health Questionnaire around 24 hours before boarding and complete the muster drill so that once onboard you can go to your muster station and have your cabin checked off that it has been completed. They will not sail until everyone has completed this simple task. Sometimes sail away being delayed an hour or more with the Captain making Announcements.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter