Just back - room check info

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were at All Star Sports for Spring Break - March 10-19th. At check in they asked if we wanted to forgo housekeeping and we of course did. I do not like people coming in our room. I asked the gentleman to make a note that they come in before 1:00 or after 5:00 as we would likely be back at that time with a toddler to take a nap. He said 'no problem'. Knowing this likely would not work, I also called housekeeping with the same request. Three times that toddler was woke up by their knocking on the door. I understand they have the 'right to enter', but I also have the right as a PAYING guest to sleep in a bed that I am paying for at whatever time I want to sleep and they do not have the right to wake me up. I gave them a time-frame that we would be napping. It is ridiculous that their schedule or lack thereof should ruin three of our park evenings due to my granddaughter not getting her nap.

I love Disney and go every chance I get, but this is a bit ridiculous. If I tell them that a toddler is napping, they should be able to accommodate that for the price I pay for the room. I already have a two-week trip booked in July at WL and POFQ. I will see what happens there, but if we have the same issue we will need to start staying off site. We should have privacy to shower, change, sleep, or whatever in a room we pay for. A landlord cannot just walk into a rental house whenever they want. We have rights even at hotels. I sent a complaint (first time ever complaining) to the top guys about this and the ridiculous pay to park your car fee. I hope they can figure out a way to be less annoying about this.

I think you would have been better off not skipping housekeeping. They will check your room once a day, and it may not be when you want them to do it. You can request a time, but just as with any other request, nothing is guaranteed.

I keep seeing people posting that they are ok with the checks as long as it is between X and Y hours. That is a logistical nightmare. Housekeeping or whoever is doing the checks would have to have a list of the acceptable times to perform checks and walk back and forth between buildings and floors. While I am not a fan of the idea of them waking me up from a nap, I understand why they can’t possibly accommodate everyone who has a specific time frame they do or don’t want the checks to occur in.
It may be a logistical problem for Disney, but Disney policy created the issue. Back before the room inspections, guests could use the Do Not Disturb signs to help get a quiet nap during the day or a chance to sleep in if they wanted during the morning. Now that sign isn't an option, and policy requires a cast member visit the room daily. So customers try to find a way to get what they need, while still giving Disney the access required. Disney encourages people to plan vacations months ahead with ADR and fastpasses, so why can't Disney do a bit of planning to allow customers some quiet enjoyment of the room Disney charges so much to stay in? I'm not even suggesting that Disney use all the data from MagiBands to magically clean and inspect the room while it's empty, just work with those that request quiet time in the room for naps.
I really don't like this with DVC. Years ago DVC had purchases delivered to the rooms. Then that stopped and packages were delivered to the resort gift shop instead, because members preferred that the rooms be undisturbed, even while other resorts still had room delivery. Now there is no way to ask for a quiet nap or to undisturbed on the last morning.

It may be a logistical problem for Disney, but Disney policy created the issue. Back before the room inspections, guests could use the Do Not Disturb signs to help get a quiet nap during the day or a chance to sleep in if they wanted during the morning. Now that sign isn't an option, and policy requires a cast member visit the room daily. So customers try to find a way to get what they need, while still giving Disney the access required. Disney encourages people to plan vacations months ahead with ADR and fastpasses, so why can't Disney do a bit of planning to allow customers some quiet enjoyment of the room Disney charges so much to stay in? I'm not even suggesting that Disney use all the data from MagiBands to magically clean and inspect the room while it's empty, just work with those that request quiet time in the room for naps.
I really don't like this with DVC. Years ago DVC had purchases delivered to the rooms. Then that stopped and packages were delivered to the resort gift shop instead, because members preferred that the rooms be undisturbed, even while other resorts still had room delivery. Now there is no way to ask for a quiet nap or to undisturbed on the last morning.

Unfortunately it is going to end up being us that has to adjust. No way are they going to hire enough housekeepers to accommodate every possible time request for the room check.

Not to mention, if they are saying these are security checks letting guests dictate the time is the worst thing they could do.

... I'm not even suggesting that Disney use all the data from MagiBands to magically clean and inspect the room while it's empty....

But why not do this? I don't know much about the MB 'radar' but if they do actually know when all MBs are out of the room (i.e., the family has all gone to a park) that seems like a perfect way to make these daily room checks palatable - because invisible - to their guests. I know it would creep out some people, but the benefit to it is worth it IMO.

Even without MBs: cruise ships seem to know how to get in to clean/repair rooms going back decades (so I doubt they were using high tech) - I remember in the 1990s I could leave my Carnival cruise cabin and no matter how fast I got back it would be cleaned and the steward no where to be seen (before or after).

I keep seeing people posting that they are ok with the checks as long as it is between X and Y hours. That is a logistical nightmare. Housekeeping or whoever is doing the checks would have to have a list of the acceptable times to perform checks and walk back and forth between buildings and floors. While I am not a fan of the idea of them waking me up from a nap, I understand why they can’t possibly accommodate everyone who has a specific time frame they do or don’t want the checks to occur in.
yep. may not like it but that's the way it is. they can't possibly meet the room cleaning schedule of every guest. They ought to just tell folks that from the get go. Instead of going through the motions as if they will meet the schedule.

But why not do this? I don't know much about the MB 'radar' but if they do actually know when all MBs are out of the room (i.e., the family has all gone to a park) that seems like a perfect way to make these daily room checks palatable - because invisible - to their guests. I know it would creep out some people, but the benefit to it is worth it IMO.

Even without MBs: cruise ships seem to know how to get in to clean/repair rooms going back decades (so I doubt they were using high tech) - I remember in the 1990s I could leave my Carnival cruise cabin and no matter how fast I got back it would be cleaned and the steward no where to be seen (before or after).
I believe cruise ships assign a specific person to each guest, right? Same with wait staff for dining. They operate in a completely different format. Could hotels change to that? Maybe. But until they do, that method won't work

Draconian? Reserving the right to, and actually, enter customer rooms is excessively harsh? Are you sure that's the description to use? Not annoying, exasperating, inconvenient...?

People never used to drown in unstaffed pools. One did, now Disney closed the polls instead of enhancing the liability.

I said exactly what I meant. I shouldn't have to worry about someone barging into my room for no good reason. It serves zero purpose. Same goes for closing the pools at night and being searched at every monorail resort and park.

Fear is based on possibility. Security is based on probability. The probability of someone drowning in a pool, or shooting up any area of WDW is so minuscule that it defies logic to take any measure whatsoever about them.

Disney's new room check policy should absolutely be handled with the same expectation of privacy and respect for guests peace and quiet that they have accorded guests in the past. Should the CMs at check in start saying,"Welcome home. You might be able to sleep in, shower, and nap in peace, but that's a huge maybe. Hopefully, we won't wake up your kids during nap time so you can enjoy that $250 character meal this evening. Now let's charge your credit card." Lol.

Bob Iger wanted a $143 million dollar bonus. I think Disney has the money to make sure that guests can have a daily room check according to each guest's schedule while on vacation. If they don't have the staff for their new policy, they shouldn't rent out the rooms. Why should I worry on vacation that that my family can't sleep in after getting back to the hotel after fireworks? Isn't that a given. Shouldn't I be able to put the Room Occupied sign up (which means guests are in the room, please come back later. Not knock a bunch of times until someone comes to the door.) Why should I worry about heading back to the room alone and taking a shower before my husband and kids get back? I certainly wouldn't do this now with the stories I've heard on this board. And that's ridiculous.

We have always received housekeeping. Every day of every trip. And the CMs were wonderful and never disturbed our rest or our privacy. There was always a window for them to visit our room. That won't change. I feel bad for the CMs dealing with this too. If Disney feels they need this policy, then they need to make sure they have the staff in order to complete the daily checks in a way that doesn't disturb guests or make them feel unsafe with their procedures. I have no problem letting the resort know when we will be out of the room. I just expect that, as guests, our schedule will be respected as well. Mistakes happen, but I don't think accepting intrusion and disturbance as the norm is okay.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried putting their own homemade “do not disturb” sign on the door? Just wondering if someone tried it, did it work?

Disney's new room check policy should absolutely be handled with the same expectation of privacy and respect for guests peace and quiet that they have accorded guests in the past. Should the CMs at check in start saying,"Welcome home. You might be able to sleep in, shower, and nap in peace, but that's a huge maybe. Hopefully, we won't wake up your kids during nap time so you can enjoy that $250 character meal this evening. Now let's charge your credit card." Lol.

Bob Iger wanted a $143 million dollar bonus. I think Disney has the money to make sure that guests can have a daily room check according to each guest's schedule while on vacation. If they don't have the staff for their new policy, they shouldn't rent out the rooms. Why should I worry on vacation that that my family can't sleep in after getting back to the hotel after fireworks? Isn't that a given. Shouldn't I be able to put the Room Occupied sign up (which means guests are in the room, please come back later. Not knock a bunch of times until someone comes to the door.) Why should I worry about heading back to the room alone and taking a shower before my husband and kids get back? I certainly wouldn't do this now with the stories I've heard on this board. And that's ridiculous.

We have always received housekeeping. Every day of every trip. And the CMs were wonderful and never disturbed our rest or our privacy. There was always a window for them to visit our room. That won't change. I feel bad for the CMs dealing with this too. If Disney feels they need this policy, then they need to make sure they have the staff in order to complete the daily checks in a way that doesn't disturb guests or make them feel unsafe with their procedures. I have no problem letting the resort know when we will be out of the room. I just expect that, as guests, our schedule will be respected as well. Mistakes happen, but I don't think accepting intrusion and disturbance as the norm is okay.

You can't do a security check on the guest's schedule. That's just ludicrous. If this policy is truly about security, they HAVE TO enter rooms unannounced at any time.

Actually, it's not ludicrous. They aren't supposed to rent you a room and give you absolutely no privacy or peace and quiet. It's not a security measure where they are trying to surprise guests. I was told by multiple CMs when calling to ask questions about the new policy that it's "eyes on the room once every 24 hours." I was told they will honor the Room Occupied sign and that I should request cleaning times and they will be respected. From the boards it's easy to see this happens sometimes and not others. I was told to contact management if the policy was disruptive or disturbing.

Though I see what you mean, @DVCDAD, from your previous posts. How effective is this policy and what is it really accomplishing? I'm not sure either. Either way, I can handle the once a day visits as usual. I just hope we are allowed some peace and privacy on our vacation;)

Last edited:
Actually, it's not ludicrous. They aren't supposed to rent you a room and give you absolutely no privacy or peace and quiet. It's not a security measure where they are trying to surprise guests. I was told by multiple CMs when calling to ask questions about the new policy that it's "eyes on the room once every 24 hours." I was told they will honor the Room Occupied sign and that I should request cleaning times and they will be respected. From the boards it's easy to see this happens sometimes and not others. I was told to contact management if the policy was disruptive or disturbing.

Though I see what you mean, @DVCDAD, from your previous posts. How effective is this policy and what is it really accomplishing? I'm not sure either. Either way, I can handle the once a day visits as usual. I just hope we are allowed some peace and privacy on our vacation;)

Yeah. When you call I think they tell you what you want to hear most of the time. I have found the boards are a much better place if you want to know what is actually happening.

By the way, being told they will honor the room occupied sign means nothing. The sign even states that its being up in no way means they won't knock on your door. Post 62 has a pic showing that.

Has anyone tried putting their own homemade “do not disturb” sign on the door? Just wondering if someone tried it, did it work?
They've removed the Do Not Disturb signs and are not going to honor a homemade sign saying the same thing as the signs they removed. That homemade sign doesn't override their hotel policy.

We've had 2 stays since the policy changed, the last was 3 weeks ago. Never had our trips disturbed in any way. No invasion of privacy. Had our rooms made spotless every day, all supplies refilled. No issues or complaints, we haven't changed our habits in any way and don't plan to. So I didn't see any differences. We have our 3rd in a couple weeks. I think the stories on this board are exceptions (like most stories on this board are). For whatever reason, Dis'ers tend to be magnets for bad things.

We've had 2 stays since the policy changed, the last was 3 weeks ago. Never had our trips disturbed in any way. No invasion of privacy. Had our rooms made spotless every day, all supplies refilled. No issues or complaints, we haven't changed our habits in any way and don't plan to. So I didn't see any differences. We have our 3rd in a couple weeks. I think the stories on this board are exceptions (like most stories on this board are). For whatever reason, Dis'ers tend to be magnets for bad things.

Great news! Can you share when you left your room in the morning- we aren't early risers but leave by about 11 and don't usually return until dinner or after dinner.

The point is, it's safer now than it ever has been. Far, far safer than when WDW was built in 1971. And because of some extremely rare events, Disney is turning into a fortress, with searches everywhere, even your room. That's a prison, not a vacation. I for one am not paying top dollar for my family to be searched multiple times daily, and have the threat of having my room tossed at any moment.

If more people complained directly to Disney, and cancelled their vacations like we have, the policy would change. Until then, expect more and more removal of privacy and dignity. Our family will travel elsewhere until this changes.

Great news! Can you share when you left your room in the morning- we aren't early risers but leave by about 11 and don't usually return until dinner or after dinner.
It's been a mixture. One trip we slept in late and were in the room till 10:00 or later. This last trip we were up and out early. It was also different resorts both trips.
We never request cleaning at specific times either, just leave it to when our room fits in the cleaning schedule. I've never had our room missed once in all our nights on property.

The point is, it's safer now than it ever has been. Far, far safer than when WDW was built in 1971. And because of some extremely rare events, Disney is turning into a fortress, with searches everywhere, even your room. That's a prison, not a vacation. I for one am not paying top dollar for my family to be searched multiple times daily, and have the threat of having my room tossed at any moment.

If more people complained directly to Disney, and cancelled their vacations like we have, the policy would change. Until then, expect more and more removal of privacy and dignity. Our family will travel elsewhere until this changes.
You may feel that way but others do not and there's nothing to complain about. When I do have something, I do complain (I have made complaints and gotten calls from George K's office even). However, I have never felt like Disney was a fortress, a prison or with searches everywhere. I don't even carry a bag so I don't even get a check when I enter the park. I don't think my room will be tossed at any moment. I haven't changed one single habit in the years we've been going. I think you are taking things to an extreme but if you feel as strongly as you do, it is probably time to move on from Disney. Sometimes, breaking up is the best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter