Just Back From OKW (long)

Jimbo

6 AM and already the boy ain't right.<br><font col
Our family just returned last night from a 9 night vacation in a 2BR at OKW, with a 10th night added at the airport due to plane troubles. What a spectacular trip! The weather was absolutely perfect, the best we've ever had on a Florida trip. It was in the low 80s, and mostly sunny every day. No rain at all.

The parks seemed kind of busy but very manageable. Our daughter, son-in-law and grandaughters had 5 day park hopper passes. On our first day at MK the scanners were down, and they waved everyone through the gates. So their 5 day hopppers became 6 day hoppers! We had four Sea World passes from a Marriott stay last year, so we went there one day. It's a nice park, but it definitely doesn't have the Disney magic.

We stayed in room 6413, a ground floor room in one of the new buildings. It took us a day to get used to the fact that there's no parking in front of the building (you park at one of the adjacent buildings' lots). But that truned out to be no big deal. The room itself was perfect - but then again, every OKW room we've had has been perfect.

The bus service was terrific too. We used it many times for MK, and a couple of times for AK, and I doubt that we ever even had to wait as long as 5 minutes. It was handy that both the Peninsular road bus stop and the Hospitality House bus stop were close to our room. We used HH to leave the resort (it's the last stop), and would get off at PR, which is the first stop (usually) on the return trip.

What else? Well, in no particular order... We had a nice dinner at Olivia's one night. This restaurant is much improved from where it was a few years ago. Every cast member we met at OKW was very friendly and helpful. After watching the Disney Cruise Line channel off and on for 10 days, it looks like we'll take a family cruise next year. My daughter is finally convinced that her girls won't leap to their death over the rail. :)

Lastly, and this is just my opinion, so no flames please: We had the Pooh breakfast at Artist Point, and toured VWL afterwards. We all thought it was a beautiful resort, but we were shocked at how small the rooms were! We had originally planned to split our stay between OKW and VWL, and were very happy that we didn't. Even with 2 kids (3 and 7), the 6 of us had plenty of room at OKW, and never got on each other's nerves. I have to doubt if that would have been true had we stayed at VWL. I understand that OKW isn't right for everyone, and I'm not here to bash any DVC resort, but the much larger rooms and lower point usage sure make OKW the right choice for a large family vacation.

Jimbo--thanks for the OKW report. It's great to know that the parks aren't horribly busy. And how cool--your passes were extended to 6 days! NEAT! I haven't seen the VWL rooms yet but thanks for the heads up. Glad your stay was awesome. I can't wait to be down there....5 days and counting...
:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter