Just a little nervous (ECV renting)

snowman

DIS Veteran
My last two trips, my wife and I have each rented ECVs in the parks after getting past our private embarrassment of “everybody will think it’s just because we are fat”. The carts made such a huge difference in our trips, how much we could see and do, how much we enjoyed it, how much less we were hurting at the end of the day. Two years ago, it also allowed us to keep up with our new (to us) 8yo son. Again, we could d9 so much more.

In 22 days, I am taking my (now) 10yo son, and my 25yo nephew. I’m considering renting a cart for the whole trip. One, the the cost is actually in our favor by renting from BV. Second, I would know I’d always have a cart. But, part of me is still feeling embarrassed about having the cart for use at the resort. The magical, all-powerful “They” will judge me negatively. And what if it breaks down? Is BV good about repairing? We are doing 4 of the After Hours events....and having a cart will allow us to see so much more.

Please, somebody pat my head and rub my tummy....and tell me it will be okay, whichever I choose.

Sorry to tel you but you in an ECV is a none event at Disney. people are too into posting on Facebook, Instagram or whatever social media they are on there latest thing they just did the food they just act or what every,

Sorry to tel you but you in an ECV is a none event at Disney. people are too into posting on Facebook, Instagram or whatever social media they are on there latest thing they just did the food they just act or what every,

And logically, I totally get that. Lol. ECVs are only interesting when you are being run over by them.

There will be so much fun, distracting stuff going on that once you get started I doubt you'll even give it a second thought.

And logically, I totally get that. Lol. ECVs are only interesting when you are being run over by them.
a really funny story I was at a local sporting event with 3 people with mobility devices one a power wheelchair ( then I was sitting in a chair and I do not use anything) then next to me was someone using an ECV then another friend in a wheelchair was sitting in front of the normal sets about 2 or 3 set down from the person in the ECV ( so you get the picture) this little girl maybe 3 walks by see the person in the power chair and cannot stop staring at him, she then see the person in the ECV and her eyes get big, we had to yell at our friend in the wheelchair or this little one would have walked right into her. So yes wheelchair ECV can be something new but after you get older then 10 they really are not that big of a deal.

I don’t mean for this to sound mean, but you will never see these people ever again, so even if they were paying attention to you, why do you care. In reality people are so busy with their own life, they aren’t paying attention to you.

Do what is best for you and your family and don’t look back. Have a great trip!

My last two trips, my wife and I have each rented ECVs in the parks after getting past our private embarrassment of “everybody will think it’s just because we are fat”. The carts made such a huge difference in our trips, how much we could see and do, how much we enjoyed it, how much less we were hurting at the end of the day. Two years ago, it also allowed us to keep up with our new (to us) 8yo son. Again, we could d9 so much more.

In 22 days, I am taking my (now) 10yo son, and my 25yo nephew. I’m considering renting a cart for the whole trip. One, the the cost is actually in our favor by renting from BV. Second, I would know I’d always have a cart. But, part of me is still feeling embarrassed about having the cart for use at the resort. The magical, all-powerful “They” will judge me negatively. And what if it breaks down? Is BV good about repairing? We are doing 4 of the After Hours events....and having a cart will allow us to see so much more.

Please, somebody pat my head and rub my tummy....and tell me it will be okay, whichever I choose.

You'll be fine. I promise! :)

Listen - think of that ECV/scooter/cart (zoombuggy <--- my personal new fave LOL) whatever you want to call it - as a TOOL to get a job done. Nothing more.

If you need glasses to see better, do you use them? I'm willing to bet you do. Your glasses are a TOOL to see better.

If you needed hearing aids to augment your hearing, would you use them? I'm willing to bet you would use them so you could hear your loved one's voices, if nothing else. Hearing aids are a TOOL as well.

Trouble doing math? Use a calculator - maybe even the one on your smartphone. Add us those numbers, divide those percentages, and multiply like a crazy person - but you are still using a TOOL to get a job done.

Would you use a stick of butter to pound in a nail? Nope. Because it's not the right TOOL - a hammer is.

I presume that by now, you see where I'm going with this.

The ECV is merely a TOOL - the best possible tool for *you* - that lets you get a job - in this case, making your way around an ENORMOUS property - done, and done in a fashion that neither causes you further physical harm or distress, and also helps prevent new harm or distress. That's it. That's all it is. It's a tool.

It is NOT a comment on you, your abilities, your size, your intelligence or anything else. Although, personally, I think it's very smart any time someone realizes that they need a bit of assistance. There's nothing worse than going home from vacation and then needing to recover from your... vacation.

The *average* Guest at WDW walks between 3 & 10 miles *per day* at WDW. That's just the walking part. No one - that I know of - has ever quantified the amount of time you can spend on average every day just standing and waiting. For some folks, it's the walking that presents problems, for others it's the standing. Some of us, it's both. Regardless, if you go to Disney Guest Relations in any of the Theme Parks at WDW, and tell them "Hey, I have some trouble getting around, and I want to know what your solution is", Disney Cast Members will tell you straight up that they recommend you use an ECV or a wheelchair, and then they will give you that two-fingered point in the direction of the rentals.

Like @gap2368 said - folks at WDW are too busy these days, looking for "Instagram Walls" or taking pictures of their food, or themselves, (or so often, themselves with their food? Why?) to post on Insta or Facebook. If they aren't posting to social media in a transparent attempt to make all their "friends" jealous ("I'm at Disney World, and you aren't!") then they are still so self-absorbed that they won't care - or really notice - if you show up riding a zebra and wearing a Lady Godiva wig over a neon-striped unitard. (BTW, if you decide to do that, remember: pictures or it didn't happen! LOL)

And as for anyone who might glance your way? Just remember this: First of all, they don't know you. They have no idea what has led you to make the decision to use a personal mobility device. If they *dare* judge you, they do so from a place of ignorance and foolishness, for I assure you that either they - or someone they love - will someday need to use a similar device, and when that day does come, I hope and pray that they hang their head in shame for how they behaved previously. Karma has a long memory, and everyone is a TAB (Temporarily Able Bodied in the grand scheme of things).

Having said that, you will, from time to time have folks look at you. It's inevitable. Here's when it's most likely: Getting on or off the internal Disney transportation. So, buses to/from the Resorts/Parks/Disney Springs. The watercraft. The Monorails. It happens. Just remember first and foremost that often they are not staring at YOU - they are interested in the *procedure* that gets your mobility device on/off that mode of transportation. The bus alone does it's very best to attract all of the attention in the world - it wheezes, and kneels, and beeps, and then it barfs out a ramp (!) and then it does all that *again* in reverse to complete the cycle once everyone has unloaded/loaded. I'm not really sure how you could make it more of a spectacle, short of brining in disco lights, and a marching band. So people aren't really watching *you* - it's the bus, and the procedure.

And if someone does make a crappy little remark - you know, that passive-aggressive "Well, it must be NICE to be able to get on the bus first!" that several of us around here have heard - Then you just look them straight in the eye, smile your nicest smile, and you tell them this: "Yep, I get on first but I also always get off last. I would gladly trade places with you if it were at all possible for me to do so." And then, you sail right on up that ramp, and into that bus, and you make like Elsa, and you Let It Go. Because again, they are coming from a place of ignorance and foolishness.

You are doing *exactly* what you have to do to have the best possible vacation. By renting the personal mobility device, you are going to be in less pain - so you (and your family) will have more fun. Because you are in less pain, and can have more fun, your family may actually find it tough to keep up with *you* all of a sudden! You are no longer the reason that everyone has to stop all the time. You are no longer the reason that you have to go back to the hotel early. You are now ready to go, and have a great time with your family, and *that's* what matters here. Nothing more.

@snowman, you are going to be fine. Climb on that ECV, turn on your most beautiful smile, wave to everyone like the visiting Royalty that you are, and go have the best trip you have ever had. :)

i have a suggestion look at this differently. if you needed to wear glasses to see would you be embarrassed to wear your glasses? how is it different to use an ECV because you need help walking? been there done that even though I have made it back to be able to just use a cane. to answer another question I used a different question rental company had had one break down. just called their phone number and they met us at the park we were at and changed ECVs. have a great trip

My 2 cents: just got back from a trip where my sister with cancer and myself with neurological issues used scooters. I had a LOT of people make hideous comments to us. We got every variation of fat, lazy b**** there is thrown out at us. Even at one point the scooters were parked against a building and we were in no one’s way and were telling someone how we had been treated and ANOTHER random stranger walked by and said the fat lazy comment again. We even had 2 different parties of people on different days who were ALSO with disabled guests give us grief. One time was a lady with a family member using a manual wheelchair who called me names and scoffed when I tried to explain what my problem was saying she did not want to hear “excuses”. Once was a family with a man in a scooter who were literally sitting on the ground and blocking a sidewalk curb cut ramp opening and when I asked them to move so my scooter could safely exit they said no and I should get up and walk. REALLY. On another day a family was standing and blocking the thoroughfare because they wanted to watch the upcoming fireworks. My sister told them she had cancer and that’s why she was on a scooter when the started to be mean. The Mom told my sister she’d trade her and take her cancer if it meant she could ride around on a scooter too. REALLY. I had a Dad not only pushing a stroller, but holding the hand of a little girl who innocently asked her Dad “what is that” because my scooter had lights and tinsel on it. He wanted to make sure I heard and replied really loudly, “that’s for people too lazy to walk”. It’s frustrating to me that when I posted about this I get replies where people generally say bad things never happened to them or you have to ignore it. It’s very difficult to ignore when people really want you to hear the mean comments while you’re at the parks.
I’ve either run in to the meanest people ever a few weeks ago or people just don’t like to say anything negative about Disney vacations.
Would I not go back based on my trip? Well I’m not in a hurry to go back and it breaks my heart that Disney has lost a little shine for me.
Would I advise people not to go to Disney and use a scooter? Absolutely not. For a lot of people the scooter is the only way to experience Disney and your mileage may vary as far as humanity showing it’s ugly side.
But seriously, people can be terrible at Disney, the “happiest place on earth”.

Either I was having too good of a time to notice or I have had kind people in my path but I haven't run across the ugly people at Disney yet when we are on our scooters. My husband and I have used scooters for the past 12 years. Without it my husband couldn't go, now. We both are older; so, maybe, that is a consideration of how others look at you on a scooter. We are not skinny people, either.

We are considerate of others and we watch very carefully when we are driving our scooters. I don't mind going out of my way to find another path to get through the crowds, if necessary. You do have to use ramps in some areas like around Cinderella Castle to get through. You don't want to jump a curb. I find if you explain you are just passing through and you need to go with the ramp you can get through most times; unless, it's packed. It can help if you have a walking person in your group breaking the way through the crowds for you, a lead person.

I feel Disney park tickets are an expense and we find the scooter cost worth it; we get to enjoy the park more that way and it's easier and less tiring for us.

You do have to get a more heavy duty scooter with a bigger battery or two batteries if you plan to be in the park for long days especially if you are on the heavier side. Also, you must give your scooter immediate attention when you get back to your resort and get it plugged in for charging the batteries. If you are out late and rise early the batteries may not get a full charge. Sometimes, we top off our batteries in the park when we break for a meal if we are having a long day in the park. We find an outlet to use. Your scooter has a gauge for battery power levels. Keep an eye on it for drainage. Make sure you shut your scooter off when viewing a show, parade, or fireworks. Conserve the battery power. Make sure you have your charger with you in case you need a charge in the park. Also, it may be helpful to scatter your long days with shorter days. Don't do all long days one after another if you can avoid it.

You can walk some even if you have a scooter if you choose to do so. So, around the resort walk if you want to do it. You can park a scooter in the park and walk there, too. Just make sure you are not in a path of a parade or blocking an exit or whatever when you park your scooter for a while.

I'm enjoying Disney more now with a scooter; so, by all means use one.

Either I was having too good of a time to notice or I have had kind people in my path but I haven't run across the ugly people at Disney yet when we are on our scooters.

Same here - I've been using a scooter the past few years without incident. The only thing I really dislike is I wish there was some way to que for a bus so that you have to wait as long as everyone else. I like it when they have me go through the regular line then pull off to the side when I get close enough that it would be my bus - I think they only do this at the MK when the busses are crowded tho. Sometimes I hang back until a bus leaves then wait for the next one so I'm the first in line - or I'll go ahead and get in the line when there's only a handful of people. Seems fair. Using a scooter really gets you nothing special or extra so OP I hope you have a wonderful trip and don't worry about using a scooter.

Don't let people bother you. Listen, my mom needs an ECV and she's never gotten the nasty comments AND she's truly terrible at driving it. Like "literally ran over a 11-13 year old kid and didn't apologize because 'he shouldn't have stopped 5 feet ahead of me'" terrible driver and everyone is always kind - probably kinder than she deserves given what I just said.

It's too expensive for you to not be comfortable!

Op in all the time I have been to Disney with a number of friends that use ECV wheelchair. I have heard one guest make a halfway rude commit to a friend about her using a wheelchair to get to the front of the lines ( funny thing is we where in the standby line ) my friend just looked at this person and with the most incident voice said you know how you cure the stupids.... you keep your moth shut.

My 2 cents: just got back from a trip where my sister with cancer and myself with neurological issues used scooters. I had a LOT of people make hideous comments to us. We got every variation of fat, lazy b**** there is thrown out at us. Even at one point the scooters were parked against a building and we were in no one’s way and were telling someone how we had been treated and ANOTHER random stranger walked by and said the fat lazy comment again. We even had 2 different parties of people on different days who were ALSO with disabled guests give us grief. One time was a lady with a family member using a manual wheelchair who called me names and scoffed when I tried to explain what my problem was saying she did not want to hear “excuses”. Once was a family with a man in a scooter who were literally sitting on the ground and blocking a sidewalk curb cut ramp opening and when I asked them to move so my scooter could safely exit they said no and I should get up and walk. REALLY. On another day a family was standing and blocking the thoroughfare because they wanted to watch the upcoming fireworks. My sister told them she had cancer and that’s why she was on a scooter when the started to be mean. The Mom told my sister she’d trade her and take her cancer if it meant she could ride around on a scooter too. REALLY. I had a Dad not only pushing a stroller, but holding the hand of a little girl who innocently asked her Dad “what is that” because my scooter had lights and tinsel on it. He wanted to make sure I heard and replied really loudly, “that’s for people too lazy to walk”. It’s frustrating to me that when I posted about this I get replies where people generally say bad things never happened to them or you have to ignore it. It’s very difficult to ignore when people really want you to hear the mean comments while you’re at the parks.
I’ve either run in to the meanest people ever a few weeks ago or people just don’t like to say anything negative about Disney vacations.
Would I not go back based on my trip? Well I’m not in a hurry to go back and it breaks my heart that Disney has lost a little shine for me.
Would I advise people not to go to Disney and use a scooter? Absolutely not. For a lot of people the scooter is the only way to experience Disney and your mileage may vary as far as humanity showing it’s ugly side.

Wow. I am *genuinely* sorry to hear about your experience.

It's been a long time - years, actually - since I had that kind of experience at WDW. I won't lie - I have (sadly) had a couple of encounters at WDW that have been disheartening to say the least. But, those were also a long time ago; overall I still maintain that these days, most people are much more tolerant about those of us who must use a mobility accommodation.

Here's a few things that I do to try to help prevent those issues: (DISCLAIMER: I HAVE ZERO SCIENTIFIC PROOF THAT THIS WORKS) First of all, I sit up as straight as I can on my personal mobility device, and I look people straight in the eye, and I smile at them first because I am making them aware of me as a *human* and not just a scooter with a meat puppet on it. It's harder to be rude to someone who has made a human "connection" with you, whether via eye contact, a smile, a wave, or a simple verbal exchange.

I also make sure that I am not running into, or over people, and I drive very carefully, watching out for those who don't watch out for *us*, and tend to walk either into us, or right in front of us.

I do *not* engage with any Guest who treats me in a negative or aggressive fashion - no matter what they say or do. If someone were to ever touch me, or my device, I would notify the nearest CM that I felt threatened, but I would not respond to that Guest at all. You are only giving them fuel for their self-righteous fire.

And I do *not* respond to passive-aggressive "overheard" remarks that are intended to make me feel bad. The *only* time I answer is to the (oh so often heard) "Must be nice to get on the bus first" (or some variant thereof). And then I reply with a smile - and again, eye contact - that I might get on first, but I'm also always the last one off, and then I turn away, and end the encounter - typically by sailing right up that bus ramp.

Maybe I am subconsciously blocking out a lot of the stuff that you experienced; I am, at heart, an optimist, and I am not ever going to stop going to my favorite place just because someone else wasn't raised right. The "problem" that kind of person has really isn't with me - it's with their fear and discomfort at the idea of being disabled like me.

Ignore them. Don't give them any ammunition - and most importantly, don't lower yourself to their level. People who behave like that don't want to see you having fun because they themselves are miserable, sour souls. Don't let them "infect" you with their misery.

I am totally unaware of anyone giving me the stink eye when i am using the scooter. I'm sure some might be especially when I park it and walk on occasion to get some exercise. Frankly I am probably too absorbed in having fun to care a fig what someone else thinks. It makes my trips much more enjoyable free from pain at the end of the day. Some people are nasty human beings even at Disney. I thank my lucky stars they aren't people I am related to or actually care about. You can't please everyone and someone will always try and judge you if you let them. Present yourself as a kind polite driver and you would be surprised how nice the majority of people are. Cast members i have met are nothing but helpful .

I'm so sorry this was your experience. My friend (who doesn't use an ECV) went to Disney a few weeks ago and also commented on very rude guests, it sounds like that week was when all the jerks decided to go. I've been lucky in that I've never had anything truly nasty said to me or I just haven't noticed. I think I would have though because I'm sensitive about using the scooter. I have Congestive Heart Failure but I'm 37 and look otherwise healthy. I'm also able to walk but of course can't walk for miles everyday.

Once a person commented about "watching out for the people on wheels because they'll run you over". I've never hit anyone and am very careful driving so the comment annoyed me. I've had a few comments about trading or hitching a ride, etc. Those people are mostly just joking/making conversation and it's not mean spirited. I'll make a joke that if they push me around all day they can have the ECV.

The strangers don't really bother me. It was when I saw a post on FB by "friends" commenting on how horrible scooters are and there are so many because people are overweight and lazy that got to me. Of course if I commented with my issue they would say "well you need it, so that's ok". But you can't tell just by looking at someone and renting a scooter is not cheap by any stretch so I doubt many people are renting them if they don't need them.

I would also check out Gold Mobility, everyone I have seen who has used them absolutely loves them. We are going to be renting from them next month as well.

As to what others think, it has taken me a bit, but my attitude is let them think what they want to think, I don't know these people and chances are I will never see them again in my life, if an ECV can make for a more enjoyable trip, then why not do it?

... I've had a few comments about trading or hitching a ride, etc. Those people are mostly just joking/making conversation and it's not mean spirited. I'll make a joke that if they push me around all day they can have the ECV...

I think a lot of people want to be friendly, and they don't realize how awkward that could sound to the person who has to use the mobility device. :)

The bus alone does it's very best to attract all of the attention in the world - it wheezes, and kneels, and beeps, and then it barfs out a ramp (!) and then it does all that *again* in reverse to complete the cycle once everyone has unloaded/loaded.
Ugh! Barfs in reverse? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter