June W. I. S. H. - Summer o' Fun

Thankful that the heat wave here finally broke! (Spent "recess" at an actual playground today. šŸ˜ƒ )

Thankful my dentist could get me in tomorrow, as I think I have either a chipped tooth or a broken filling. (It's not painful, but it just feels really sharp on my tongue.) I called, and they were able to just move my cleaning up a couple of weeks so they can look at it right away.
I hope it goes well and you stay pain-free. Good luck.

I'm thankful I saw the dentist today. It was a nice quick little break from work! :rotfl2:

Thankful for the strawberries I got at the store last night. I reallllyyyy need to go pick our own, but don't know when I'll make the time. Maybe I can convince everyone to do it tomorrow after work if it isn't raining--I know that's supposed to be starting up but not exactly sure of the timing.

Thankful that the doctor's office finally called so we know when to show up to Twin2's appointment on Monday!

Itā€™s finally starting to feel like the end of the year! While I was in Disney, teachers and support staff started moving the teacher who is in my room for next year. So yesterday when I came back, I was able to start moving stuff into my room for next year! Itā€™s still overwhelming, but feels good to get an ā€œearlyā€ start on it. Kids go to school until June 21 and that is also the last required day for teachers. I was thinking Iā€™d have to be here several more days to get my classroom moved. But now Iā€™m hopeful that June 21 can really be my last day as well!!!

i gained about 4 pounds on vacationā€¦not surprising since I think we ate everything! But after just one day of getting my eating back on track, Iā€™m down one pound. Hopefully I can keep that downward trend going ;)

Weā€™re watching my grandsonā€™s 5th grade graduation online this afternoon and then Iā€™m off to the farm stand for more strawberries. Iā€™ve been eating them with a couple spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt-they have been so good!
Itā€™s a miserable, rainy day, so probably watching some recorded matches from the French Open or a movie tonight. Glad I weeded yesterday.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Happy Friday! This week flew by even faster than normal, the trip Mon/Tues kind of cut it in to two mini-weeks.

Weather looks great for the balloon ride tomorrow morning, really looking forward to it. I got a haircut yesterday and my hairdresser said she had done it a couple years ago and was giving me to scoop. Sunday is supposed to be rainy, but I am hoping to get in a little bit of time working in the front yard.

Very little got done on the porch yesterday, just screwing down the decking that had been laid out the day before, which was about half of it. At least the stairs are done and I can go out the front door again, but it is starting to feel like summer is going to be over before I get to enjoy it.

Healthy living wise, still not on track and feeling pretty crappy. I did manage to have less sugar yesterday, so tiny step in the right direction. My acupuncturist gave me something to try to help the edema, it's hard to describe other than it is a mix of things that you cook down to a porridge consistency then eat 1/4 or so a day. I had the first of it last night and my ankles are better this morning, but I also took Benadryl last night which also seems to help. So we'll see.

Hope everyone has a lovely happy healthy weekend!

Last edited:

Field Day went better than expected. There were 300 kids K-3 on the field with 2 P.E. teachers and 20 8th grade volunteers along with 14 classroom teachers. My class won the tug of war! We only had 2 minor injuries in my class requiring just a bandaid. They looked cute in the t-shirts I bought them and decorated with fabric markers. It took all day yesterday for every student to sign every shirt, but it was worth it, because everyone complimented them and they will have them as a memento.

The remote learners felt totally left out, and their parents are bent out of shape that devices are being collected and they will be doing work packets next week. I feel as if I have bent over backwards this year trying to accommodate everyone simultaneously. I am behind on paperwork and cleaning. I am thankful that I only have to deal with in-school students from now on.

TGIF.

Thanks! We usually tie dye each class a different color, but with 3 subs and me on the current Kindergarten team, I decided to do fabric pens instead. Next year, we will do a combination of the two, because the signatures were a hit.

DS still has his signed shirt from 3rd grade (last year in the primary building for us). It's such a cute keepsake!

I've been doing theme Fridays this month with my little homeschool kindergarteners (though we had to make it Thursday this week.) We did Harry Potter, and they had a blast! I found some great freebie math sheets online and made "sorting scrolls" by writing house names in white crayon and having them color over it. We watched a video on London for geography and had "potions class" for science - playing in the sensory bin with water, baby oil, dish soap, Alka-Seltzer tablets, and faaaaar too much glitter. :rotfl:

In other news...
The dentist went OK. He does recommend the tooth come out, but it's not infected and doesn't look like another part is going to break off. So it's not an emergency. I have a referral to get it done when I'm ready.

DS still has his signed shirt from 3rd grade (last year in the primary building for us). It's such a cute keepsake!

I've been doing theme Fridays this month with my little homeschool kindergarteners (though we had to make it Thursday this week.) We did Harry Potter, and they had a blast! I found some great freebie math sheets online and made "sorting scrolls" by writing house names in white crayon and having them color over it. We watched a video on London for geography and had "potions class" for science - playing in the sensory bin with water, baby oil, dish soap, Alka-Seltzer tablets, and faaaaar too much glitter. :rotfl:

In other news...
The dentist went OK. He does recommend the tooth come out, but it's not infected and doesn't look like another part is going to break off. So it's not an emergency. I have a referral to get it done when I'm ready.
Sorry you have to deal with your tooth, but glad it isn't an emergency.

It sounds like your HP theme was a blast!

Thanks! We usually tie dye each class a different color, but with 3 subs and me on the current Kindergarten team, I decided to do fabric pens instead. Next year, we will do a combination of the two, because the signatures were a hit.
Our seniors get tie dyed shirts with everyoneā€™s name on them! They wear them for pep rallies and other events.

Great question!

DD has had all of her friends over, but I haven't had company yet. I look forward to my friends coming over for a pool day, lunch, or cocktails and apps under the stars. My backyard pool saved me last year, but it will be so much more fun to share with friends. DD has her graduation/business launch party this summer which will include her friends and my favorite family members who I haven't seen since Christmas 2019.

I am really looking forward to getting on an airplane again and going on vacation in July. Our last trip was to Arizona for a family reunion, then a week in
Disneyland California in April 2019. I am actually excited about packing, the middle of the night private town car ride to JFK Airport, going through TSA, checking into our resort, etc. I don't usually enjoy the travel part of traveling! I wish I could close my eyes and suddenly arrive at my destination. If I could do that, I would travel a lot more! But this time, I will enjoy every minute of the process...even the laundry when we get home because it will mean that we went somewhere besides our own backyard!

I can't wait to go on a proper shopping trip. When my Mother was still living, (she passed on November 21 during my freshman year of college) we would shop until we dropped, have lunch in a fancy restaurant, then shop again! I have carried on this tradition with DD to this day, although she doesn't have the same stamina that my Mom and I did, LOL. The last time I had a traditional shopping experience was March 2020 when I attended DD's last Fashion Trend Show at Lord & Taylor. She not only organized it, picked out the fashion and makeup looks, she had to model several looks because most of the models backed out the morning of the show. She proved her mettle that day rising to the occasion and slaying it! Afterward I had a total blast shopping all of the sales. Had I known what was coming, I would have lingered longer as it was the last time I set foot in my favorite store. You will probably think I am nuts, but I used to refer to Lord & Taylor as my Mother Ship. Normally I would have gotten a makeover at the Chanel counter, but those early days of the virus made me too uncomfortable to do that. When they were liquidating, I bought my favorite white leather chair that was in the lounge for $50. I sat in that chair a million times and the idea of someone else having it made me crazy. DH picked it up for me at the store, I disinfected it then cleaned it with leather cleaner, and it now sits in my living room. It's the most comfortable chair I own. Lord & Taylor's stores are all closed now, and the stores left in my mall are not looking great. However, 4 towns away is a gorgeous new mall with stores that I have only been to in NYC. That will be my next adventure! I can't wait to shop, get a makeup consultation/makeover, and go out to lunch. That is my idea of fun!

Great question!

DD has had all of her friends over, but I haven't had company yet. I look forward to my friends coming over for a pool day, lunch, or cocktails and apps under the stars. My backyard pool saved me last year, but it will be so much more fun to share with friends. DD has her graduation/business launch party this summer which will include her friends and my favorite family members who I haven't seen since Christmas 2019.

I am really looking forward to getting on an airplane again and going on vacation in July. Our last trip was to Arizona for a family reunion, then a week in
Disneyland California in April 2019. I am actually excited about packing, the middle of the night private town car ride to JFK Airport, going through TSA, checking into our resort, etc. I don't usually enjoy the travel part of traveling! I wish I could close my eyes and suddenly arrive at my destination. If I could do that, I would travel a lot more! But this time, I will enjoy every minute of the process...even the laundry when we get home because it will mean that we went somewhere besides our own backyard!

I can't wait to go on a proper shopping trip. When my Mother was still living, (she passed on November 21 during my freshman year of college) we would shop until we dropped, have lunch in a fancy restaurant, then shop again! I have carried on this tradition with DD to this day, although she doesn't have the same stamina that my Mom and I did, LOL. The last time I had a traditional shopping experience was March 2020 when I attended DD's last Fashion Trend Show at Lord & Taylor. She not only organized it, picked out the fashion and makeup looks, she had to model several looks because most of the models backed out the morning of the show. She proved her mettle that day rising to the occasion and slaying it! Afterward I had a total blast shopping all of the sales. Had I known what was coming, I would have lingered longer as it was the last time I set foot in my favorite store. You will probably think I am nuts, but I used to refer to Lord & Taylor as my Mother Ship. Normally I would have gotten a makeover at the Chanel counter, but those early days of the virus made me too uncomfortable to do that. When they were liquidating, I bought my favorite white leather chair that was in the lounge for $50. I sat in that chair a million times and the idea of someone else having it made me crazy. DH picked it up for me at the store, I disinfected it then cleaned it with leather cleaner, and it now sits in my living room. It's the most comfortable chair I own. Lord & Taylor's stores are all closed now, and the stores left in my mall are not looking great. However, 4 towns away is a gorgeous new mall with stores that I have only been to in NYC. That will be my next adventure! I can't wait to shop, get a makeup consultation/makeover, and go out to lunch. That is my idea of fun!
I loved reading this! You have such energy in your writing, itā€™s contagious! Now I want to go on an all day shopping trip with my daughter!!! šŸ’•. And I love your point about enjoying every part of travelingā€¦even those that you disliked before. Great perspective!

Iā€™m excited to say yes to my kids again! It was so hard to tell my teens that they couldnā€™t do things. No, you canā€™t go bowling. No, you canā€™t go to your girlfriends house. No, you canā€™t go to your friends party. Iā€™m excited to say yes again!

And Iā€™m excited to say yes to invitations again. Yes, we will attend your sonā€™s graduation party. Yes, I can attend the girls night out dinner.

Once again, I am so thankful my family is vaccinated!!! šŸ˜Š

Iā€™m excited to say yes to my kids again! It was so hard to tell my teens that they couldnā€™t do things. No, you canā€™t go bowling. No, you canā€™t go to your girlfriends house. No, you canā€™t go to your friends party. Iā€™m excited to say yes again!

And Iā€™m excited to say yes to invitations again. Yes, we will attend your sonā€™s graduation party. Yes, I can attend the girls night out dinner.

Once again, I am so thankful my family is vaccinated!!! šŸ˜Š
I can't imagine how hard this was for parents of minor children, especially teens. The younger the children, the more we can control their lives and find a way to placate them. With teens, they either feel fearless and we have to find a way to protect them or they are terrified because they know exactly what is going on and we have to help them manage their fears and stress. My DD being an adult was more the latter. She had the most fear in our household, worrying that this pandemic would take her parents from her and/or she would die.

I am so happy that you can say, "Yes" now!

With teens, they either feel fearless and we have to find a way to protect them or they are terrified because they know exactly what is going on and we have to help them manage their fears and stress.
My teens were the fearless ones. It wasnā€™t going to happen to them. And it didnā€™tā€¦because I stayed strong and followed the rules. And they hated itā€¦but we got through! So glad thatā€™s MOSTLY behind us now and we get to deal with more normal teenage issuesā€¦wait, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m ready for those either. šŸ˜¬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!