June W. I. S. H. - Summer o' Fun

This week I’m motivated by being “out in public” around co-workers for the first time in a year and a half. I’m ok with the work stuff, but quite nervous about food, as lately even just the littlest bit of nut or tomato sets off the wet fought reaction.

currently sitting at the gate waiting to board. Will hit the ground running when I get there around 10,as the plan is to process the first customer order thru the new process at 10:30. Fingers crossed it all goes well.
You’ve totally got this.

I am motivated by today’s early dismissal due to a high heat warning! Looks like another pool day!

Unfortunately it will be cut short as DD has a GYN appointment at 4:20. I will have to drive her because her car has been in the shop since May 1st waiting for a part to arrive internationally. I have a bad feeling that she won’t have it anytime soon. One of her friends is in the same boat. It looks like I will be a chauffeur this summer.

I am so happy that I will get in a little fun time today though.

Last edited:
I am motivated by how I look. I have lost almost 10 pounds since Feb and I can see it in my stomach and my clothes are fitting much better. DH said he can see the difference. He can see it in my face though and I can't see that yet.

I'm not quite sure what I'm motivated by today. I had an okay day, but not stellar. I overate at dinner, and now my tummy is too full but since what I mostly ate was roasted broccoli (so, so good!) I'm not worrying about it. Just completed yoga where I had to take off my shirt because I got too hot and now am about to do my little weight lifting routine. I think it's more just habit rather than motivation!! Routines are good.

I am all caught up! Whew!

We had a wonderful visit with family in Texas celebrating my sister in law’s birthday.
I think I handled meals pretty well and got my walks in every day. I am ready to get back in weight loss mode because many of my clothes are snug right now. That’s really my biggest motivation.

Today's Topic Tuesday discussion is inspired by:
I think it's more just habit rather than motivation!! Routines are good.

I absolutely agree! I read something just the other day about the difference between motivation and commitment. It said that motivation is temporary - like a mood that comes and goes. Commitment is more lasting. (I think the example they used was making lunch for a toddler. Few people are actually motivated by the thought of heating up chicken nuggets ...again, but you're committed to your kid not going hungry, so you do it anyway.)

I've recommended this book on the DIS before as well:
1623145238623.png link

People make exercise into a habit in several ways -
---doing it at the same time every day
---rewarding yourself afterward
---walking (or participating a sport) with a friend or neighbor

-------so someone else is expecting you to show up
---joining a gym or class
-------so you've spent money on it that you don't want to waste
---tying your exercise to something else you know you'll do
------ for instance, I usually exercise right before I do dishes

So how do you make exercise into a routine?

Hollywood Studios day was a huge success. We arrived and entered the park about 30 minutes before posted park opening. Walked right onto Tower of Terror. The rest of the day lines for most rides were about an hour. We did Toy Story Mania (2x), Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Train, Rise of the Resistance, Millennium Falcon (2x), Slinky Dog, Muppets 3D, and watched Mickey & Minnie’s Vacation Fun. Dinner was at Hollywood Brown Derby. I had the Cobb salad and my son had the Seafood Cioppino. Both were delicious!

Exercise is my LEAST favorite part of a healthy lifestyle and weight loss routine. As I have previously stated, I am more artsy than athletic. I bought a treadmill because there's NO EXCUSES like bad weather to stop me from walking. When I instituted the routine of walking on the treadmill before school, it was making me almost late or actually late for work. Getting up earlier made me miserable. Walking after school was too painful because by then, I had been walking all day on cement covered by unforgiving tile, and my knees were shot. At the moment, however many steps I get in at school is my exercise.

Fortunately, summer vacation is imminent, and I will focus on that for now. I plan to walk on the treadmill every morning and swim every afternoon (weather permitting). I look forward to walking on the beach sometimes, but especially when I go on vacation to Margaritaville Resort in Hollywood, Florida in July.

I will figure out the fall in the fall. End of August through October is ROUGH. I will need a routine, but I will also need flexibility. Fortunately diet is more important in weight loss than exercise. I've read that it's 75-80% diet and 20-25% exercise to successfully lose weight and keep it off.

So how do you make exercise into a routine?

I had a great routine this winter/spring. I would get on the treadmill at lunch for an hour. It was great. Now that I am back in the office 3 days and the kids are back to the sports and stuff This is not feasible and I am having a hard time finding time. I just need to figure it out. I would like to do it when I get home from work but lately it has been get home eat and run out the door again.

We also lost the way we were eating. We need to plan better meals now that we are on the go. Being home for a year it was easy to make meals after work. Not so much any more. We need to find some easy, quick, crook pot, casserole recipes.

We will get back on track. It will just take time.

Because our walking trail is so close to the house, I can be flexible and fit my walk into my schedule. I keep my sneakers by the front door as a reminder and a nudge. I never walk past 3:00 though. Right now I have a pair of capris that are tight on a hanger outside my closet door so I see them first thing in the morning!

For a while now I've been thinking about changing my current morning routine from driving to Starbucks, to going for a walk instead. I'm hoping being here on-site is the break I need to actually change things up. I did get 9800 steps in yesterday, I should have walked in place to get to 10,000 but I was over it by the time I got to the hotel room. With the days so long right now there is enough sunlight to get out for a short walk in the mornings and halleluya my 7am conf calls stop happening as of tomorrow.

The day went really well yesterday, I am so relieved and proud of the team. We have one minor hot-fix to deploy this morning, but that is it... knock on wood. I was also able to speak to all the stuff the Engineering Manager was bringing up, so that also went well. Heavy sigh.

Headed home this afternoon, and really enjoy the short flight, easy peasy. I am hoping the stairs and porch will be done when I get home, or at least done enough that I can get thru the front door.

For a while now I've been thinking about changing my current morning routine from driving to Starbucks, to going for a walk instead. I'm hoping being here on-site is the break I need to actually change things up. I did get 9800 steps in yesterday, I should have walked in place to get to 10,000 but I was over it by the time I got to the hotel room. With the days so long right now there is enough sunlight to get out for a short walk in the mornings and halleluya my 7am conf calls stop happening as of tomorrow.

The day went really well yesterday, I am so relieved and proud of the team. We have one minor hot-fix to deploy this morning, but that is it... knock on wood. I was also able to speak to all the stuff the Engineering Manager was bringing up, so that also went well. Heavy sigh.

Headed home this afternoon, and really enjoy the short flight, easy peasy. I am hoping the stairs and porch will be done when I get home, or at least done enough that I can get thru the front door.
Glad everything went so well!

I used to do my exercise at o'dark thirty every morning. Now I do it in the evening after the twins go to bed. They're going back to mom in 10 days and I was looking forward to being able to walk in the mornings before work. Then I learned that our school start time next year will be 7:50 AM. That means that my start time will be 7 or earlier!! I won't be walking in the mornings! :eek: But think of all the time I'll now have in the afternoon!!

WOO HOO! No more remote Wednesdays!
The in-school kids were sent home with old school work packets, and I emailed the remote learners one of the popular read alouds I posted last year on my YouTube channel as well as other educational videos. They will round out their day with Lexia Learning on their iPads. My plan is to do report cards today while I teach the sub (who will be one of my new grade partners in the fall) how to do report cards. All of these early dismissals are great, but I'm really behind on paperwork. I am praying that the administration leaves us alone today.

WOO HOO! Friday is the last day of remote teaching altogether!
Next Monday, remote learners turn in their iPads and pick up work packets and end of the year treats to keep them busy for the last week of school. Friday morning is field day, so tomorrow is my last full day of teaching a classroom full of children while simultaneously teaching remote learners at home.

This year was truly the year of multitasking and juggling while being totally flexible! I remember when I switched to Kindergarten. I physically moved across the hall to teach in-school and remote kindergartners, but my PreK replacement didn't start until 10 days later. So I had to teach a new grade in a cluttered, and frankly filthy, classroom with unruly students using my MacBook for the K remote students and my iPhone for the PreK remote students while my old Para handled the in-school PreK students with work I left them. Who does that? It took a long time to settle into the new room. When we went fully remote, it gave me hours and hours to clean, toss junk, and get the previous teacher to take her things as she dragged her feet. Last week, she finally came in and took the rest of her things! I feel much more competent than I did in October. I have learned A LOT. I still have more to learn, but any mistakes or regrets this year have taught me what NOT to do next year. My goal is to become a much better K teacher next year and become the leader of the four classroom team. I will bring developmentally appropriate practices into K next year and create a much more child-centered environment. For once, I'm actually excited about what the fall will bring. One year ago, I was considering early retirement.

Who knew that a grade change could be so energizing?

Yesterday was our last park day. We were at Animal Kingdom. We were able to get on the Safari, Navi River, Everest, Kali & Dinosaur. And we enjoyed a nice walk through Gorilla Falls! Caught two of the brother gorillas playing. We had lunch at Flame Tree BBQ and got to see several characters float by on the river. Then we headed back to the hotel for some pool time (real feel was 102). We ended our day at Disney Springs. Not really wanting to head back home & back to school just yet. We are thinking of taking a boat ride over to the Polynesian for some Tonga Toast before catching the Magical Express for the last time.

so tomorrow is my last full day of teaching a classroom full of children while simultaneously teaching remote learners at home.
I don’t know how you did it! My hats off to all the teachers who had to teach live & virtual students simultaneously, especially the teachers of young students! I was fortunate to teach only live students because mine were identified as the academic neediest kindergartners in the building, so they were required to be live to continue in my full day class or they could be virtual in the half day kindergarten class. The rest of my school had to do what you did and teach live & virtual students simultaneously. A huge appreciation for all you’ve been through this year! Enjoy every second of your summer break! It will be here soon!

WOO HOO! No more remote Wednesdays!
The in-school kids were sent home with old school work packets, and I emailed the remote learners one of the popular read alouds I posted last year on my YouTube channel as well as other educational videos. They will round out their day with Lexia Learning on their iPads. My plan is to do report cards today while I teach the sub (who will be one of my new grade partners in the fall) how to do report cards. All of these early dismissals are great, but I'm really behind on paperwork. I am praying that the administration leaves us alone today.

WOO HOO! Friday is the last day of remote teaching altogether!
Next Monday, remote learners turn in their iPads and pick up work packets and end of the year treats to keep them busy for the last week of school. Friday morning is field day, so tomorrow is my last full day of teaching a classroom full of children while simultaneously teaching remote learners at home.

This year was truly the year of multitasking and juggling while being totally flexible! I remember when I switched to Kindergarten. I physically moved across the hall to teach in-school and remote kindergartners, but my PreK replacement didn't start until 10 days later. So I had to teach a new grade in a cluttered, and frankly filthy, classroom with unruly students using my MacBook for the K remote students and my iPhone for the PreK remote students while my old Para handled the in-school PreK students with work I left them. Who does that? It took a long time to settle into the new room. When we went fully remote, it gave me hours and hours to clean, toss junk, and get the previous teacher to take her things as she dragged her feet. Last week, she finally came in and took the rest of her things! I feel much more competent than I did in October. I have learned A LOT. I still have more to learn, but any mistakes or regrets this year have taught me what NOT to do next year. My goal is to become a much better K teacher next year and become the leader of the four classroom team. I will bring developmentally appropriate practices into K next year and create a much more child-centered environment. For once, I'm actually excited about what the fall will bring. One year ago, I was considering early retirement.

Who knew that a grade change could be so energizing?
Oh, Summer2018, that’s wonderful! After such a challenging year to leave on a positive note is just the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter