June Trip pros and cons

Antonia

DIS Veteran
I haven’t been in June in years. Our grandchildren will be riding 4th and 6th graders so more hesitant to plan a trip during the school year. We are DVC so would be staying on site. What are the pros and cons of a June trip. We are looking at arriving June 14 or 21 for a week.

OMG the HEAT. And it rained for us pretty much every day. So be prepared with ponchos.

Pros: summer crowds have been down the last couple of years. Families with kids are often more relaxed in the summer too without having to rush home and get back to school.

Con: it’s hot.

My only June trip was comfortable temp wise; never higher than about 85 and it rained only one afternoon out of six. We actually had hotter days on our late April/early May trip!

We love summer at Disney, have done late June and early July many, many times.

Crowds are typically lower than other times of year, so that's a huge plus. Yeah, it can be hot...but it's central Florida in summer, duh. Besides, it's not like you spend all day standing outside in the sun, unless that's what you choose to do. There are very simple ways to avoid the worst of the heat while still getting to do a lot. It's hyperbole to say "It'll rain every day". It may or may not. We've had trips where we got t-storms 6 or 7 days in a row. We've also had trips where we didn't get a single storm for 10 days (there were a few storms, but they happened in the middle of the night). So be prepared for storms, but don't think it's a guarantee they'll happen. We also just like the warm weather at Disney. In our opinion, a cold Disney isn't fun. We like being able to ride Splash, Kali and get wet. We love the water parks.

Honestly, I can't think of any true cons for us in late June. If you have a major adversity to heat, then you'll have to make sure you plan smart.

I went once in June but never again. The heat was too much for me. It was that stifling, no breeze, oppressive heat that makes it hard to breathe. The kind that you walk outside and are a sweat bucket in the first three minutes. We like August. It is hot but bearable and there is usually a breeze. And the crowds are lighter.

My son and I went this past June. We live in FL so we knew what we were in for. Yes it was hot! But we carried water bottles and I bought him one of those Disney fans that sprayed water...it was a BIG help! Crowds weren't bad at all, that was a definite plus. It rained on us twice. When we put on our ponchos leaving the hotel to go to EPCOT and got on the bus....guess what happened??? It stopped raining! :rotfl2:But we were carrying our little backpack so we shoved them in there and enjoyed EPCOT! The next time it rained, it was when we returned from one of the parks and again....it was minutes and then it was gone.

Go in June!! The light crowds will make it worth it!

I went once in June but never again. The heat was too much for me. It was that stifling, no breeze, oppressive heat that makes it hard to breathe. The kind that you walk outside and are a sweat bucket in the first three minutes. We like August. It is hot but bearable and there is usually a breeze. And the crowds are lighter.

I have to say I find that a bit strange. You can't stand the heat, but say August is more bearable than June. August is a hotter and more humid month than June. They're both hot, so we're splitting hairs, but technically speaking August is worse.

Out of 5 trips 4 have been in late May/early June is it hot well yes but a couple of years it was hotter here in Kansas City than in Orlando. When you can go and get a fast pass for FoP (day 3) you have to think about it. I would go.

I haven’t been in June in years. Our grandchildren will be riding 4th and 6th graders so more hesitant to plan a trip during the school year. We are DVC so would be staying on site. What are the pros and cons of a June trip. We are looking at arriving June 14 or 21 for a week.

We've been to WDW in June a bunch and really our only negative is heat. I will say, it's still not as hot as August but can be rainy but usually it's pop up showers so it's not too bad, they come and go fast.

Outside of the heat, we love going in June. We manage the temps with breaks, shopping breaks to get in AC, shows, resort/swim breaks and restaurant breaks. We almost always do a lunch reservation we know we have a guaranteed spot for us inside as opposed to a QS lunch and risking having to sit outside. We bring little misting fans, hats and cooling towels.

We go in early June since our kids get out the last week of May and the crowds are a teeny bit lighter then later in June but nothing super noticeable. Truthfully, I don't think summer crowds are really ever that bad compared to other times of year like fall/Christmas and Spring Break. We love June, July and August for our WDW visits, with our August trips usually the first week since our kids go back to school before the third week and we try to minimize hurricane exposure. I think my favorite time over the summer to visit is June, July is second and August is third. It just gets hotter and wetter as you move through the summer. We are from SC so most summers here are hotter and more humid than Orlando so it really does depend on where you are from as well.

My family and I went from June 8th through the 15th this past summer. Previously, it was always either February or November. I always said I would never go in the summer due to the heat, but my daughter was a Junior in HS and had a pretty tough class load so we had no choice.

I'll be honest, it was great. The heat was a non-factor for us. We drank plenty of water, dressed appropriately and followed a lot of hot weather tips offered up on this board. We stayed at WL, so we rope dropped every morning and came back to the room around 1 or 2 for a nap or to go to the pool. Or both. We would eat dinner and head back to the parks that evening from around 6 or 7 until close.

To me, crowds were no different than any other time.

I will say that it seemed to be a pretty mild week. I think the temps only reached the 90's one of the days we were there. It rained a couple of afternoons, but we weren't at the parks then and it never lasted long. My wife and I went early October in 2018 and the night we went to MNSSHP was as hot or hotter than any of our June days.

We enjoyed that time of year so much that we are going back again in June of 2020.

June is usually not as hot as later summer, and rain storms are hit or miss in the summer.

We went in June 2017, and were pleasantly surprised at the crowds. The crowds seemed a lot less than when we took June trips in the 1990's.

The downside is the heat and humidity. It rained just about every afternoon we were there (just scattered showers that lasted 30 minutes to an hour), but it was so much more humid after it rained.

All in all, I think we would do a June trip again. June is toward the beginning of hurricane season, so you don't really have to worry about them as much as you would later in the summer. The crowds were really manageable, and we had an enjoyable time despite the bursts of rain.

We use to always go late may/early june and crowds were fine. It is very hot and humid. portable spray fans work great to keep cool! We took a rest and swim break in the middle of the day.
We did go once exactly when you are going. The crowds were a little higher but we still had a blast!! Also take a day in the middle, sleep in and go to one of the water parks. Have a great trip!

We did June one time, back when Star Wars weekends were a thing. I won't do it again because we don't do well outside in that kind of heat all day.

We really had to adjust the way we tour because of the heat. We typically go in Nov or Feb, and are in the park pretty much open to fireworks. We simply couldn't do that in June. If your family copes well with 100+ degree heat indexes for multiple hours, you will be ok. Otherwise, you will be suffering. The only way to really do that time of year IMO is to hit a park at rope drop, try to hang through lunch, then go back and get in the pool until dark.

Heat is the only con I see as well - a mid day break for the pool and getting out of the sun will be needed. Crowds have been down for the summer. If you family handles heat ok - go!

I suffer that time of year - and follow eeyoreandtink's scheduled above. RD until I'm too hot to continue - lunch and back to the resort until around 4 or 5pm and then back at least through the fireworks.

We did June 11-20 in 2018 for our honeymoon. We are from California so the humidity more than anything nearly knocked us over. Crowds weren't bad. It did rain daily, anything from some sprinkles to a full on downpour one afternoon while we were at AK - it only lasted about 30 minutes. We spent most afternoons either napping or at the pool. We had a great time!

I have to say I find that a bit strange. You can't stand the heat, but say August is more bearable than June. August is a hotter and more humid month than June. They're both hot, so we're splitting hairs, but technically speaking August is worse.
I agree! Both are hot! August is just so humid it’s worse than June.

We went the last week in June this year. It was in the 90’s all week. We would go to the parks in the morning and at night to avoid the heat. We did do 2 of the After Hour events and that was great. It did not rain except one day it sprinkled for a couple hours.
Crowds were not low. It was crowded but not horrible. We still had a good time and can’t wait to go back.

The difference as I said is the breeze. August begins hurricane season and it is noticeably breezier than June from my experiences doing both. Just my experience. Might not be yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter