Jumping Lines

Plip

Oh, bother
In another thread today, several people mentioned their annoyance at others who save places in line for attractions. Especially when one person stands in line, and then as they near the front, the rest of the family shows up and joins them. We've never done this, by the way, but it made we wonder: Is there ever a time when it's okay to hold places in a line or in an attraction? And if so, under what circumstances?

Is it okay to have stragglers in your party join you in line at the front gate before the park opens?

Is it okay for Mom shop on Main Street while the rest of us line up for Rope Drop, and then have her join us a few minutes early?

Is it okay for some of your group to line up early for Frozen and then save seats front and center for others much further back in the line? (Isn't this exactly the same thing as holding places in any other line?)

Is it okay for one or two people in your party to leave the line for the bathroom and then return and join the rest of them? How about to go get churros for the group?

I'm not arguing in favor of any of this. I'm just curious what others see as proper Disneyland etiquette.

IMO...absolutely never OK.

Taking the kid to the bathroom is one thing, but do not enter the line until your party is together. Complete disrespect and blatant line cutting otherwise.

Now saving a seat at Frozen or an open line that someone that is IN line leaves and gets snacks not a big deal, but nothing is more annoying that people pushing through you in an attraction line to cut ahed of you for whatever reason. Don't do it.

Last edited:
My take is if it's one person I'm fine with it or if its a parent/child, but if its a larger party then no, the party that is ahead should fall back to the others. We saw this happen on Jungle Cruise, annoyed my wife like crazy as they were ducking under ropes to get ahead. Funny part was the CMs must have noticed it and they halted their line as we merged and let our line passed ahead. On Indy I was shocked with the parents saw some of the their stragglers weaving up from the back and asked what they were doing. Dad then grabbed the group ahead of us and moved back. Proceeded to chew out his other kids for being late and for skipping ahead.

I think it's ok if someone needs to use the bathroom. Especially if that someone is a kid. Disney will let you leave and re-enter the line to use the bathroom.

It does annoy me overall though and I see a lot of people abusing it. The CMs rarely do anything about it.

What annoys me more is when people paying for "VIP Tours" are allowed to cut you in line. We were near the front of Peter Pan and were then told to wait while a group of at least 15 people cut us in the line.

I think if it's one person, it's not such a big deal.

For example, one person stops to pick up the starbucks order while the rest of the family gets in line at the gate. But if one gets in line, while the rest get the order, that's annoying.

Mom shopping before rope drop wouldn't bother me, but again, that's one person joining their group.

One time, many years ago when we visited only once every few years, we got in line for Indy and it was long, so my DH went to get snacks (the kids were still fairly young). By the time he got back, we were halfway to the ride. The CM walked him down the exit to reach us and we felt terrible, so never did that again. Lesson learned was get the snacks before entering the line.

No opinion on Frozen as we've never watched it, but I don't like when people try to join their group while waiting for a parade, etc. We've had people try to shove their kids in front of us more than once after we'd been waiting for an hour or more with our kids.

VIP groups don't actually bother me because they are paying $$$$ for that privelege.

Thanks for the replies. What about saving seats at sit-down stationary attractions?

It's been a few years (2016, I think) since we visited, but I seem to remember being quite near the front of the line at the Hyperion (Aladdin was playing at the time). We weren't particularly aggressive in racing for seats (although we weren't lollygagging either), and I was a little disappoint at how many seats the few people in front of us (and a couple who passed us in the aisles) had saved. But I figured that's just the way it works, and we didn't let it hamper our enjoyment of the show.

Do you consider that the same as cutting in line? Whether it's a seat on the next next flying galleon in Peter Pan or a seat in center of the third row at the Hyperion, it's still a seat that one person had reasonably assumed he had put in his time waiting for, but was taken by another who actually showed up much later.

I'm not a believer in: "I'll go start waiting in line while you do something else."

The entire party should be together before getting in a line. If some want to rush, and others don't, then either some in the party have to adapt to another style, or the group should divide and be OK not riding together.

Of course, lines are long and kids are unpredictable, so I totally understand if a group got in line together but someone has to leave the line for a restroom break. That shouldn't mean the entire group - who may have been waiting together for 30+ minutes - needs to leave the line. But that's really the only exception I can think of. If someone has an issue that makes them unable to wait in a line, that's what the DAS is for.

(Also, I'm not talking about QS restaurants. It doesn't matter if one person or the entire party is in line because most of the time, one person will be putting in the order for the entire group/family. I've never seen someone hold a place in a QS line for a group that all place separate orders.)

Here's the one I hate: one person (usually younger kid) rushes into a line, other guests file in behind, and then the parents/other siblings (stragglers) show up a minute later. But now there are several or more people between the stragglers and their other party member. Often, the stragglers will call the kid to the back of the line with them. But sometimes, the stragglers think it's OK to pass the people in front of them to catch up to their kid. Annoying.

As for your specific scenarios:

Is it okay to have stragglers in your party join you in line at the front gate before the park opens?

I'm an early person. I'll get up early to get into the park. I tell anyone with me who is not willing to get up early to text me when they are in the park. "OK, but what about if we're all up, and one person stops to pick up Starbucks. Can't they rejoin us at the gate?" Sure. And if they aren't that far behind, and the line hasn't grown much behind you, then it's not the end of the world. But having one person wait the entire time, and having an entire group join them just before opening is annoying.

Is it okay for Mom shop on Main Street while the rest of us line up for Rope Drop, and then have her join us a few minutes early?

It's a lot more like a loose mob at rope drop, and not so much a dedicated line, so I think you have more wiggle room. But let's see if any frequent rope droppers have a thought on this.

Is it okay for some of your group to line up early for Frozen and then save seats front and center for others much further back in the line? (Isn't this exactly the same thing as holding places in any other line?)

You are right. This seems less bad for some reason, but is basically the same thing as holding a place in line. Specifically, the times I've seem Frozen, there's always plenty of good seating so I've never seen a situation where this would really be that much of an issue.

Is it okay for one or two people in your party to leave the line for the bathroom and then return and join the rest of them? How about to go get churros for the group?

Always OK to leave the line for the bathroom. And for the churro scenario, I'm a lot more forgiving if the group entered the line together and have been waiting. If there's an opportunity for someone to jump out for a moment, grab a churro, and then get back in line, I wouldn't be upset about that like I would if the churro-buyer had not entered the line with the rest of the party. Having said that, I'm imagining a scenario where it's easy to hop in and out of the line - not a scenario that requires physically walking back and forth through the entire queue.

At the end of the day, it's the people who take advantage of this that are the problem, not the majority of people who legitimately "just this one time" have to cut through the line to catch up to their party.

So I’ve done this once (don’t yell at me lol) Long story short, my friends and I were all meeting up. 3 got into the big thunder line, other 3 we were late, and they said they would hold spots. We asked a CM at the front if we could meet up with our group. They said sure, so we went through and then told the CM where the fastpass merges the same thing. They were also fine with it and let us wait there for about 10 minutes until our group got there and let us join in. It was kind of awkward and people do try and block you when you walk up there, so I won’t do that again. But since CM’s seem to allow it, that may be why people do it so much. Also, one of my coworkers used to be a CM, and I asked if he considers one person holding a place in line to be cutting, and he said no. He even said whenever he takes his nieces and nephews, he will wait in one line while they do other rides, so they can get through everything faster. So maybe it’s more of a guest annoyance rather than employee? Who knows.

I’m not bothered by VIP tours cutting. That’s what they are paying for.

I don't participate in any of the above but generally if it's 1 or 2 stragglers or a parent/child it doesn't bother me. The ones that annoy me are when 2 people are holding a place and 6 others decide to join them. Nope, the 2 people can join the rest of their party at the back of the line.

The time before last my wife, son, and I were queued up at Storybook Land Canal Boats. A family of 4 was in front of us, and then the rest of their party (7 other people) showed up. When my wife pointed it out to the CM, the CM just shrugged and walked away. That really got my goat.

If a whole group is lined up and then someone has to leave for the bathroom, I'm completely sympathetic. If part of the group is lined up and a single person comes through, it's annoying and it's better if I don't know the reason because I'm less likely to be annoyed. However, if it's more than 1 adult, the party in line should move back rather than have everyone else push ahead.

As far as Frozen goes, they'll specifically tell you to have your whole group together when you get into the line and not to save seats, repeatedly. So that's straight-up out of bounds (but, you can always take someone out for a bathroom break). I still see people saving seats, but it's technically not allowed and honestly I don't see that much of it.

As far of the rest of it, these topics come up periodically, and you'll find a variety of opinions and hair-splitting about the number of people, time involved, etc...

Overall, for my part, I try to give people grace. Is it annoying when a large group joins a single waiting person? For sure! That happened to me twice at the turnstiles this summer, once changing us from being about 10 people back to being more than 20 people back (minutes before the park opened, after waiting 40 minutes), and that giant group was a disorganized mess who were all entering on new tickets, needing pictures, and trying to match up their tickets to individual people... Was that kind of frustrating? Yeah. Do I think those people were intentionally trying to be jerks? Nah. I think someone said, "I'll go save us a spot in the entrance line!" Maybe that person was really excited to have "helped" their family group in that way. Is it kind of thoughtless? Yeah. But it's not breaking any actual "rules," and it's not really worth the headspace of actual anger or frustration.

Disney actually encourages people with certain disabilities to join their group later in lines. So, that's something that you never know why it's happening, and again, I try to extend grace and assume it's that type of situation rather than something nefarious.

People have different values and different ideas of what is ok. A lot of things that "offend" people aren't even on other people's radar. I prefer to assume that most people have good intentions - what do I gain by choosing to be frustrated by other people's actions?

again. But since CM’s seem to allow it, that may be why people do it so much

This. When we were getting in line for Smugglers Run about 15 minutes before park close one person in group was like ‘Aw man I have to go to the bathroom.’ And we were all like ‘Oh no, the line closes soon!’ And the CM standing there was like ‘No big deal, just get in line and he can catch up to you.’ I asked him if he was sure and he said ‘Oh yeah, people do it all the time.’ So yes, I think they’re fine with it.

If one or two people join a group, that's fine with me. Perhaps they had to deal with a child issue or maybe he/she has a bladder problem -- who knows? It's when a group of two or more join one person in line that it doesn't sit well with me. The case where I have no trouble at all is when one person joins one other for a ride like Peter Pan. Whether one person or three rides, it doesn't affect me in any way. It's only one galleon. Often a friend will join me in line at PP after rope drop. Whoever is behind me won't be delayed at all. I'm in the ship ahead of them. If a friend joins me... they're sill only one ship behind me.

We’ve been in the habit of lining up for early entry at the turnstiles- often front of the line or almost- then I mobile order Starbucks in DTD and hubby goes to get it. He rejoins me before the park opens with my precious coffee fix. But then, that’s just the two of us.

We’ve been in the habit of lining up for early entry at the turnstiles- often front of the line or almost- then I mobile order Starbucks in DTD and hubby goes to get it. He rejoins me before the park opens with my precious coffee fix.
To me, this is totally fine and, I'm pretty sure, relatively common. Some flexibility with other guests seems like the right thing to do. Often when I'm in line at the gate, I have to run to the bathroom. When you stand there for an hour or more, it's likely to happen -- to me and/or other people.

We’ve been in the habit of lining up for early entry at the turnstiles- often front of the line or almost- then I mobile order Starbucks in DTD and hubby goes to get it. He rejoins me before the park opens with my precious coffee fix. But then, that’s just the two of us.

This is where there is no one answer and it depends on scenario. One person bringing coffee in an open line at the gates is different than a group plowing through a moving attraction queue past other guests

What annoys me more is when people paying for "VIP Tours" are allowed to cut you in line. We were near the front of Peter Pan and were then told to wait while a group of at least 15 people cut us in the line.
VIP tours offer this as a perk for paying $600 an hour for the tour. It is no different than a FP. So, no, don't consider it "cutting". Yes, we use VIP tours frequently. Usually when we have family we want to get rides done in a busy period. As for 15 people, that would be multiple VIP tours, as tours are limited to 10.

I do not like/approve of the "push thru the line" to catch up. I do not have a problem with someone needing to leave to go to the restroom/get a churro as long as the majority of the party is in line and there is a point you can rejoin. Example, POTC, rejoin at the top where the restaurant it. Or where there is an opening in the cue, but if you have to push thru the line, nope. And never when 1 person is in line and more than 2 join. Holding seats at the Hyperion - No, unless someone has come in then left to go to the bathroom. Or they are coming in together and one or 2 are slower than the others. Example, me. My kids and grandkids move faster, so they enter (we are all in line together) and I avoid being knocked over and they hold me a seat. And coffee in the morning? Who CAN'T understand that, but the majority of the party should be in line, with 1-2 bringing the coffee to the rest. Not 1 in line, and 5 joining.

One time we were waiting at the turnstiles in the morning right before park opening. There were 3 people in front of us. The gates start to getting ready to open when about 20 little girls who were part of a dance troup or something came running up to the people in front of us! It drove me crazy, if I had known I would have stood in a different line.

I’m with the majority in respect to opinions on “push through the line”-style cutting, Mom bringing Starbucks to the rest of the family waiting at rope drop, and bathroom breaks, especially for kids (as they often won’t say they have to go until it’s “a ‘mergency!”) But an acquaintance of mine from years past used to take her girls to Disney a couple times a year and said that she always made her husband wait in the lines and then at the last second she would drag her kids through all the people saying, “Sorry, got to meet dad. Dad, we’re coming!” She said she spent a lot of money on the vacation and wasn’t going to spend the whole time dealing with whiny, bored kids in line. I asked what about everyone else who were waiting in line and also spent a lot of money? She said, basically, that it’s not her problem. I thought that was messed up. My kid can stand with the best of them. He learned at two years old that if he wants to ride, he waits—nicely.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter