Jumping into June - June 2022 W.I.S.H. thread

Happy Happy Sunday Everyone!!!

From Saturday:

Summer Social Saturday:

favorite ice cream flavor-anything chocolate with peanut butter

swimming - ocean, lake, or pool? All 3 it does not matter to me!!

love the heat or hate it? LOVE IT

summer TV habits-watching old series prepping for them to start again in the fall!

childhood summer vacation memory-our extended family used to have a home at the ocean and it was always exciting and fun to go even though we went 10 times a year and it was the only place we ever went! I miss it so much!

Self care Sunday-it was busy but still squeezed in some me time! Went to church and then finished some cleaning and pet care stuff, did a hour of yoga and for the 3rd day in a row I kept 100% on track with eating ☺️

I hope everyone had a great weekend and enjoys the rest of their Sunday!!

Had a wonderful visit with the new baby on Friday. He is such a cutie!!! Saturday we ran some errands for my parents before we came home. DS2 got a puppy while we were away. He called to find out what doggie stuff we have that they could have! I've got the start of a sore throat so we are putting off meeting Puddles until it goes away. It's been close to 48 hours and it hasn't gotten better or worse so I am thinking it may be allergies.

It's in the 90s today. We are enjoying the mini split we had installed this winter. AC is amazing!!!! It's a novelty for us! :worship:

Good Morning!

From Saturday.
favorite ice cream flavor -- Cookie Dough

swimming - ocean, lake, or pool? -- Pool. I hate sand and don't like things swimming by me

love the heat or hate it? -- Hate it. 70 and sunny would be good. I hate the cold too.

summer TV habits -- Catching up on shows I missed during the year

childhood summer vacation memory -- We didn't go on vacation much growing up. My dad took us to Disney once when I was in 5th grade. I had fun but my sister did not get along with my dad or step mom and she has a way of making things miserable for everyone. We went to Myrtle Beach with mom a few times. It was always fun since we would go with my cousins. We went the year that I graduated high school. My cousin that is 367 day older then me and I drove down separately and did our own thing. We went to Charleston one day and had a great time with just the 2 of us. But I think my favorite memory would be going to 4-H camp every summer. It wasn't a family vacation of sorts but must of the time I was with several of my cousins and my sister. It was so much fun. It was on Kelly's Island and we would take a boat over to the island and then walk to the camp. For many years I was able to find counselors to give me piggy back rides instead of walking. It pays off being so tiny. We had camp fires with skits, a dance one of the nights, learned line dances (that I still pretty much know), sang a bunch of cam songs (Baby Shark was one of them but a bit different), did hikes and canoed on the lake and much more. The end of the week was always so sad leaving all the friends that you made but we knew that fair was right around the corner and we would meet up again for a week. I had many pen pals over the years.

Catching up:

Summer Social Saturday:

favorite ice cream flavor
- chocolate chip mint
swimming - ocean, lake, or pool? - I don't swim, but to hang out by the water it would be the ocean
love the heat or hate it? - in this area we don't build for heat, so anything above the mid-70's can be uncomfortable.
summer TV habits - doesn't matter much, as long as I can lay down to watch
childhood summer vacation memory - I've mentioned before that I have this nostalgic thing for picnics. The one in Walla Walla with my Mom's extended family has always stayed with me, and also one 4th of July when I was pre-teen when we went over to the neighboring community and watched the fireworks in a open field.

The temps have gotten quite toasty, getting up in to the 90's Sat/Sun and again today. It's been tolerable as long as I'm sitting right in front of the fan, which means not much of anything got done over the weekend.

"Achieve your wildest dreams" resonates with me and will be my motivation this week. I am finally going to move to a new area of responsibility and it will give me everything I have been looking for: new applications not currently in use, meaning I won't have to support production in any buildings, new technology to learn, new people to work with including a different Engineering Manager, as the relationship with the one I currently work with has been limiting and I am so ready to not have to wrestle with it any longer, and the contractors in that area work our day time hours, so no more checking in at 8pm and signing in at 6am to check on my current off-shore team. Win, win, win.

Last edited:

"You can do hard things."

I have never read or heard these powerful words before.

I really wish that this concept was instilled in me as a child or a young woman. Even though I experienced difficult things like everyone else does, Mommy did her best to shelter and protect me while I was growing up. When she died of cancer, my father moved to Florida a couple of months later. I was a college freshman suddenly needing to earn enough money and take on housemates in order to pay the mortgage, bills, and college tuition while mourning the most important and influential person in my life. Over the years, I've done many "hard things," and because they were traumatizing, I have spent much of my life avoiding them instead of confidently conquering them. Ultimately, I have discovered that yes, indeed, I can do "hard things," it just would have been really helpful if I had been told that in the first place. I wonder how differently I would have approached challenges...perhaps proactively with faith instead of reactively in fear.

Going forward, I plan on spreading this idea to my students and my future grandchildren. Maybe they will approach life differently than I did.

First World Problems Rant:

Today was supposed to be our first day of bathroom renovations. I was up early because we were also receiving a large delivery that someone needed to be present for from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM. My SUV was parked on a side street out of the way, and I was dressed...bra included. (In the summer, that is a big deal for me). Well, time was ticking away, and I was becoming more impatient since in my past experiences, contractors show up around 8:00 AM or not at all unless they are coming back to finish a job and they take their sweet time. DH called them around 10:30 AM, and this was my contractors answer, "I didn't know we were starting today."

5C900ED1-09B8-4D15-B9CC-F30C6BF25AAD.jpeg

I find all the little pieces of wisdom have hit me to varying degrees at different times. I think find joy is jumping out at me most right now. Finding something small every day to be happy or excited or curious about. It's not obvious some days that's for sure. But there is always something there.
Today it was a little girl time. A friend of mine came over for dinner. We ordered Chinese food and caught up on life. We text often and when time allows talk on the phone but nothing compares to being in the same room.
After today's rain looking forward to the sun tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too hot, a couple coworkers and I are going to try to work outside on the patio at the office. It's the little things....

Topic Tuesday
130CE28F-48DE-43A1-96DB-66CFCC1737A8.jpeg

All or Nothing Thinking

FD9C5DBD-A840-47BE-9C7F-FB419992ED2C.jpeg
I haven't been to my favorite restaurant since before the pandemic, and I was really nervous about what to order on Saturday night. I knew that it was unavoidable to go over in calories, but I didn't want to go nuts either. So, I made a plan. I ate my usual healthy breakfast, and then a lighter than usual lunch. I had one summer cocktail, filet mignon, truffle fries, and shared a lemon blueberry cheesecake with DH for dessert. I enjoyed every bite with zero guilt. I was apprehensive when I weighed myself the next morning. I had not gained one ounce from the day before. No more "All or Nothing Thinking" for me.

Last edited:
I'm going to start working specifically on health/weight management with my Counselor, and one of the things we need to tackle is all-or-nothing thinking.

Last session she asked me what seems to work the best and simplifying things down to logging foods and maintaining the -500 calorie deficit does work well for as long as I do it, but inevitably I lose focus and stop. She mentioned having Plan B in place to switch to, instead of switching to doing nothing and that was kind of mind-blowing.

In other areas I've corralled the all-or-nothing thoughts by breaking things down in to tiny pieces and applying the "just give it 5 minutes" rule, but I haven't been successful in doing that with my eating/exercising. An example of giving it 5 minutes would be to go walk around the block instead of thinking I have to drive to the park, which means getting there at a less busy time so there's parking, but at a time when there are some other people around for safety, when it isn't raining - yadda, yadda, yadda. OK, I'll try that today - just go around the block.

I am getting better with “all or nothing” as I get older. I used to stress and worry about cleaning or yard work…now I will set a 30 minute timer for weed pulling and when the timer goes off I am done. If weeds are left that’s ok I will do 15 more minutes tomorrow.

I've never been an all or nothing person--the world is too gray! And if I eat more than I planned I would, I just move on--like those two Reese's peanut butter cups I had today. They were delicious, satisfied my craving at the moment and tomorrow I won't need to eat any because I had some today! Apparently what I need to work on is not caving to my craving! :lmao:

I've never been an all or nothing person--the world is too gray! And if I eat more than I planned I would, I just move on--like those two Reese's peanut butter cups I had today. They were delicious, satisfied my craving at the moment and tomorrow I won't need to eat any because I had some today! Apparently what I need to work on is not caving to my craving! :lmao:
I figure sometimes cravings are messages from our bodies. If I really want a very specific food, I'll usually have it, and just rely on small portions to do less damage.

(I do get that there are other things that mimic cravings - emotional eating, boredom, etc. So I try to recognize which it really is and deal with those differently.)

I figure sometimes cravings are messages from our bodies. If I really want a very specific food, I'll usually have it, and just rely on small portions to do less damage.
I was actually told this by a nutritionist I was seeing way back for gestational diabetes. Cravings that don't go away within half an hour with a glass of water are our bodies needing something. So if you NEED that chocolate have a tiny piece now instead of an entire king sized bar in a few hours/days.

Not sure what I am woowhooing yet...the day is too young. Maybe that it's sunny but not crazy hot? And the conversation I had with my mother yesterday was coherent and she actually asked about the kids? I have Friday off and am making my "hair glitter" (grays) go bye bye? Yup those all sound like good things.

Not sure if this is a 'woohoo' or an 'oh wow', but yesterday I realized I leave for my Sister's at the beach on Sunday. Of this weekend. Not sure why I thought the 4th of July was further away. I can definitely woohoo for a long weekend. And also woohoo for not really having to do much of anything to get ready to go, other than throwing some stuff in an overnight bag.

Woohoo the hot temps finally broke, but not woohoo we went right back to cold... stopping at warm would have been really nice, since it is actually summer. Forecast for the beach over the weekend is mild temps and overcast but not wet, sounds good enough.

And woohoo, every time I get a work email or have to read a message in a SLACK channel I think about how I'll soon be able to remove myself from that distribution list and that makes me very, very happy.

WooHooing a great doctors appointment this morning! (Follow-up from my cyst removal - it all looks good now. :))

Not woohooing the cat meowing at me like I'm the meanest human on Earth because I won't take her out. (The Mosquito Ranger people were here this morning, and she's not to be on the grass yet.)

Oooh, also woohooing that DH fixed the slow drain in my kitchen sink!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter