Jj abrams directing new star wars!!!

Hmmm, now this is going to make me associate Star Wars with Felicity. Not sure how I feel about that :confused3

Now I am a BIG Star Trek fan and a HUGE Star Wars fan. I think it's a great idea! I'm hoping that he takes the same direction he did with Star Trek and rewrites the SW universe and permanently erases Jar Jar from the time line!

Seriously though I do think it is a good choice.

But I'm confused about one thing...why is joss Whedon being heralded as the champion of character development?

It can't be Avengers....if it is, then do tell?

Ummmm, Firefly? Buffy?
You know, the stuff he's famous for?

Ummmm, Firefly? Buffy?
You know, the stuff he's famous for?

Exactly. He's had several series in which characters were the BIG factor on why they were loved. For a writer/producer, he has a massive loyal following.

doconeill said:
Exactly. He's had several series in which characters were the BIG factor on why they were loved. For a writer/producer, he has a massive loyal following.

Ok...I'll concede that point...

But how does that translate into big screen, episodic sci-fi?

I just wanted to make sure nobody was characterizing Avengers as "deep and character developed"...

It was a action flick with pretty bland acting except for Robert
Downey jr carrying the film...as he often seems to do these days.

The new Johnny depp...as the old Johnny depp has gone south

~I hope this film is heavy on action and light on drama, just like the Avengers, not long and boring like Star Trek. It is crucial that the average viewer who has no emotional ties or previous knowledge of Star Wars be able to jump right into the movie. :goodvibes

I'm thrilled with this news. I'm still a big fan of Alias, and I liked the new Star Trek movie, too.

As to Joss Whedon, I'm actually not a big fan of his stuff. Avengers reminded me why he could be good, but I didn't like how he ended Buffy, Angel, and Serenity. Seems to me like he runs out of steam before he finishes stuff. Both Buffy and Angel should have been at least one season, possibly two shorter.

DRDISNEYMD said:
~I hope this film is heavy on action and light on drama, just like the Avengers, not long and boring like Star Trek. It is crucial that the average viewer who has no emotional ties or previous knowledge of Star Wars be able to jump right into the movie. :goodvibes

That is EXACTLY what they tried with the prequels...and it bombed.

Star Wars is more to pop culture than an single comic book like avengers...
You can't set the bar that low.

They should spend however long it takes to get the story and the dialogue right...and keep the CGi to a minimum.

The best action/ fantasy movie of the last 10 years (one could argue ever) was the Dark Knight.
You follow that formula...not Transformers

Carstairs38 said:
I'm thrilled with this news. I'm still a big fan of Alias, and I liked the new Star Trek movie, too.

As to Joss Whedon, I'm actually not a big fan of his stuff. Avengers reminded me why he could be good, but I didn't like how he ended Buffy, Angel, and Serenity. Seems to me like he runs out of steam before he finishes stuff. Both Buffy and Angel should have been at least one season, possibly two shorter.

In the case of Lost...you can argue that Abrams did the same thing.

Star Trek too...but I'll blame that on forcing Leonard Nimoy in there...and I don't think that was entirely his call.

Angel was canceled before he was ready to end it. I wasn't thrilled with the end of Buffy but I did like the Serenity movie.

Joss Whedon aside, I think that Abrams could be a good choice. He really did work wonders with the new Star Trek movie.

Angel was canceled before he was ready to end it. I wasn't thrilled with the end of Buffy but I did like the Serenity movie.

Off topic a bit but ... Technically Buffy and Angel are still ongoing. Darkhorse comics had been running an official continuation of the series for some years now. They've already gone through Buffy Season 8, and are nearing the halfway point of Season 9 which also includes an Angel/Fatih series. It's all official/canon and is run like the TV seasons, with Joss writing a few issues and sherpherding the plot, while other previous Buffy/Angel TV writers and comic book authors work on other arcs all leading up to a big season finale.

Season 8 was a bit of a mixed bag mess, but Season 9 is much better. The Angel/Faith series is allowing Whedon to tell some of the Giles 'Ripper' background stories that never got made into a spin-off TV series.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter