Jiko or Tiffins

Lexx1214

Mouseketeer
DH and I are interested in both Tiffins and Jiko but can’t decide between them. We haven’t been to either before and we can only do one. For those of you that have been to both which did you like better and why?

Different menus, atmosphere.
Both great meals-I would choose the most convenient to your schedule. We truly love them both. If I was forced to choose-Tiffins. Just a suggestion but whichever restaurant you don’t choose, hit the bar for a drink and appetizer. Nomads Lounge is the better bar but we had a great meal at Jiko ‘s bar- we shared an appetizer and a salad and a lovely glass of South African wine. The bartender even brought us some of their delicious bread so we could try it.

Tiffins — the service, atmosphere and menu are unique. We tried Tiffins and Jikko both this last trip, and Jiko was inconsistent service wise and made unpleasant by children up past their bedtime with inconsiderate parents. The staff refused to address the issue(s) so I’ll spend my money elsewhere. YMMV

We love Tiffins, we have never been disappointed in a meal there. We tried Jikos and while it wasn't horrible, it didn't really live up to the hype for us. Like the previous poster we had a family with a couple of kids who weren't the best behaved, which can and does happen at just about every restaurant on site and not really something you can avoid. I certainly wouldn't blame the restaurant for that and unlike the previous poster, don't think it's anything the staff can or should address unless they get way out of hand. It was just a so so experience for us, the food o.k. the service o.k. the price way high. I agree with another poster that the bar area is great though and in hindsite, we would probably just go there and eat. Tiffins has a different menu and the rooms all have some pretty interesting themes. We have always had good service and good food there and also enjoy going to Nomad Lounge and having a drink before hand.

Between the two, Tiffins.

After a lot of excitement leading up to Jiko, we were disappointed by it. Tiffins was one of the best meals I've ever had at WDW.

Jiko by a mile. My wife and I had Tiffins on our last trip and neither one of us were impressed with our food. I had the Wagyu strip steak that also came with brisket. The brisket was absolutely flavorless while the strip wasn't even a whole strip... instead it was just the end of a strip and was so full of gummy fat (fat, not marbling) that it was inedible. When we got back to the room we ordered a pizza from Flippers since we really didn't eat much of what was on our plate at Tiffins.

We really enjoy both. We always do Tiffins on our AK day. Jiko is a step up. I like to have a chance to clean up and change before going there, whereas Tiffins, I'm fine going in park attire.
Of the two, we prefer Jiko, but almost always do both during the trip.

I did both last trip (I was staying at AKL so Jiko was a good first night pick). Jiko was good, with a tender fillet, but it wasn’t my favorite and I probably wouldn’t go back.

Meanwhile, I went to Tiffins the last night and it became my favorite restaurant on property, if not anywhere! The food was just so amazing and flavorful with great combinations. The atmosphere was also so unique with stories behind all the art pieces and photos in there. It was a pet project of Joe Rhode (who designed all of Animal Kingdom), and the effort shows! I hope to go back there nearly every trip.

In terms of location too, that could have a factor. Tiffins is easy to fit in when you visit AK; Jiko requires getting to AKL. Tiffins also has a lunch (with more affordable options), while Jiko is dinner only.

Jiko, not even close. Our meal at Tiffins was OK, but not great, we actually prefer the food in Nomad Lounge. I got the bread starter at Tiffins and it was tiny and really not good at all, my husband's soup was very good. For entrees my fish was excellent and my husband's steak and brisket was again just OK, and he ended up eating half of mine. I can't remember what he got for dessert but my sorbet was really icy and just not good quality at all. We have been to Jiko at least 15 times and have never had a bad dish, let alone a bad meal.

I vote Tiffins. I liked the different styles of the individual rooms in Tiffins, which also kept the restaurant a bit more quiet and intimate than the big open room at Jiko. I liked the food equally at both restaurants. We had significantly better service at Tiffins, but honestly, that is so variable at any restaurant I can't rule out Jiko for one bad server (although it was pretty bad - no drink refills, no cleared plates, a huge wait for the check).

Tiffins — the service, atmosphere and menu are unique. We tried Tiffins and Jikko both this last trip, and Jiko was inconsistent service wise and made unpleasant by children up past their bedtime with inconsiderate parents. The staff refused to address the issue(s) so I’ll spend my money elsewhere. YMMV

Wonder what you wanted the staff to do? Disney World is a family-friendly resort, and they are not going to kick out a family to make the meal more enjoyable for another paying customer. The risk of this is equally likely at Tiffins, BTW--there are tons of kids there; it's just a feature of dining at Disney. I guess the only way to avoid it really is to schedule dinner earlier in the evening, as I imagine the number of fussy kids increases the later at night it gets.

Thank you all for your insight, it’s been immensely helpful. It looks like we are going to go with Tiffins for this trip and maybe Jiko the next. DH and I are always looking to explore as much as we can food wise (I’m a bit limited with a severe shellfish allergy and a more minor allergy to fish).

I have not done Jiko, but we did do Tiffins for the 1st time this year.

We loved Tiffins!!!! It was fabulous. Great food, atmosphere and wonderful CM.

I vote Tiffins. I liked the different styles of the individual rooms in Tiffins, which also kept the restaurant a bit more quiet and intimate than the big open room at Jiko. I liked the food equally at both restaurants. We had significantly better service at Tiffins, but honestly, that is so variable at any restaurant I can't rule out Jiko for one bad server (although it was pretty bad - no drink refills, no cleared plates, a huge wait for the check).

Wonder what you wanted the staff to do? Disney World is a family-friendly resort, and they are not going to kick out a family to make the meal more enjoyable for another paying customer. The risk of this is equally likely at Tiffins, BTW--there are tons of kids there; it's just a feature of dining at Disney. I guess the only way to avoid it really is to schedule dinner earlier in the evening, as I imagine the number of fussy kids increases the later at night it

When the kids are roaming around tables disturbing other diners and causing safety issues I expect a Disney to exert itself so that all paying customers can enjoy the meals they are paying for. And frankly I would like parents to show some common sense and courtesy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!