Jedi training camp

Tick-Tock

Earning My Ears
We are going to be attending our first Official Star Wars Weekend on our vacation this year and our children was love to do the Jedi training camp. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to have your child chosen for this opportunity???

Much thanks

Since I don't have any advice for you, I'm going to bump this back to page one and see if any of our veterans can help you with this question.

Do wacky stuff that will get you noticed. (not necessarily getting in a fight or anything) but do unusual stuff like wearing your hair in princess leia buns or painting your face like Darth Maul. There are not many people who do this, and it will get you noticed by not only the stars but other fans.

I REALLY want to know more about this too. Do you have to be chosen or can you sign up? My DS 7 would just LOVE to do this - we haven't told him that this goes on - and from what we saw in 2001 all the kids involved had a blast!

Here's the info on the Jedi training camp event:
Obi-Wanna-Be -- Throughout the day, several lucky youngsters will be chosen to take part in the "Jedi Training Academy," giving Jedi hopefuls the chance to learn moves with a lightsaber, then test their skills against Darth Vader himself.

For more info on SWW, try http://www.mgmstudios.org/sww.html

We did the JTC in 2001. We were lucky enough to attended almost every weekend and my daughter was picked atleast once everytime we went. I was told the trick was to act excited but not too crazy. Basically they want to see the child be active but at the same time they don't want the child to be out of control. The guy standing at the Jedi stage told me they wanted children who would perform and not be scared or shy. Also they pick children who will be careful not to get hurt or hurt someone else.

We stood at the front of the stage and she basically raised her hand when the Jedi Trainer was picking children. On one weekend a friend of hers meet her there. We attended one of the JTC while he was there with her. I thought it would be great if they could go up together. He didn't get picked, yet she did. I imagine it was because he was all over the railing/rope and and kept jumping while raising his hand.

Hope this works for you.
Check out my site to see pics of our JTC herehere

Have fun and good luck

Gone disney

Do they only do one Obi-Wanna-Be per weekend? When and where do you need to be when they choose? Is there a particular day, time of day?

Any particular age group they look for? How many do they choose?

Last but not least, how long do they "train," when do they duel, and do they get to duel with each other or only THE DARTH?

Needing an idea of how to arrange our travel schedule. DS, 7, would just LOVE to do this.:bounce:

I can answer some of these...
Do they only do one Obi-Wanna-Be per weekend?
They do at least one per day of each weekend(So, one on Friday, one on Saturday and one on Sunday)
Is there a particular day, time of day?
Exact times have not been specified yet.

I haven't seen JTC at WDW, but my daughter did it at Star Wars Celebration II, last May, and I believe it is the same thing. It was running every hour or so most of the convention, It took my daughter 3 tries to get picked. She didn't do anything special, just stood up and raised her hand. I think he chose around 5 or 6 kids each time.

The entire thing probably lasted about 15 minutes. The kids go up on stage and are given robes and plastic lightsabers (same kind you see at any toy store.) The "Jedi Master" has a script that he seemed to follow very closely each show. Mostly he says things that Yoda said during the movies. He teaches the kids a series of moves with the lightsaber ("block high," "duck," "cut low") and they learn them in a specific order. They run through it a few times, until they all have it down.

Then the Imperial March plays and two stormtroopers come out, followed by Darth Vader. The Master tells Darth that these kids are pure and will never join him on the Dark Side, then the kids go up one by one to duel Vader. The Master calls out the moves in order so the kids can remember what to do. It's like a choreographed fight. When all of them are done, the Master announces that Vader has been defeated and the Sith Lord marches off in a huff. Then the kids all get certificates.

My DD was 4 at the time, and he seemed to avoid picking anyone younger than that. One toddler, maybe 2 yrs, inserted himself onto the stage without being picked. The mom seemed to have no problem with this, and the Master was too polite to say "get him out of here." The child had no idea what was going on and left the stage in the middle of it. I don't remember any kids older than maybe 7 or 8 doing it, but there may have been some in other shows we didn't see. Any older than that would probably think it was kind of lame.

T

Has anyone seen older kids - 11 yrs old get picked? My daughter would love this! She is obsessed with Star Wars and we're going to be there May 22-27th, doing the studios all day on Friday and Saturday so she can take in all the Star Wars action.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter