Jedi, Princesses and Disney Geeks...Oh My!! The Sweet Sixteen go to Disney!6-11 New

Jen, those pictures are priceless! I hope Will is feeling better soon and that everyone else stays healthy. We missed going to Black Friday with you guys today. Hopefully, we will make it next year! :hug:

We went to Chicago on Black Friday. It is only about an hour away by train. It was not as busy as I thought it would be.

DSC05987.jpg

DSC05988.jpg

The building above was in the movie "Adventures in Babysitting" which I love.

DSC05989.jpg

The ice skating rink in the park.

DSC05996.jpg

"The Bean" sculpture.

DSC05999.jpg

Our reflection in "The Bean".

DSC06009.jpg

The windows at Macy's. The theme was "Letters to Santa".

DSC06012.jpg

Outside Macy's.

DSC06014.jpg

Macy's "Great Tree". This was so beautiful. They have an observation deck where you can look at the tree.

DSC06015.jpg

DSC06019.jpg

DSC06023.jpg

Tim at the Disney Store.

DSC06028.jpg

DSC06034.jpg

DSC06037.jpg

DSC06041.jpg

Ok, one of these years when we're not running around like crazy people visiting with my brother and dealing with Jack's birthday party, we all have to get up to Chicago. What great pictures!!! Everything looks so pretty. And I just love the picture of your reflection in the bean!! I actually got to see it this summer when I was there for the conference, but it was raining...not really a time when I wanted to sit and take it in, seeing as how I had no umbrella. ;) I'd love to see the Macy's windows, and the tree, and all of it!!

Ok, one of these years when we're not running around like crazy people visiting with my brother and dealing with Jack's birthday party, we all have to get up to Chicago. What great pictures!!! Everything looks so pretty. And I just love the picture of your reflection in the bean!! I actually got to see it this summer when I was there for the conference, but it was raining...not really a time when I wanted to sit and take it in, seeing as how I had no umbrella. ;) I'd love to see the Macy's windows, and the tree, and all of it!!

You would enjoy it! We will have to have brunch at the Walnut Room under the big Christmas tree. :santa: We were lucky that it wasn't too cold. I was surprised that it wasn't busier.

I have pictures of some of the loot I've stashed away for the trip. But...they're not loaded onto the computer yet. Sorry, guys - I still haven't learned how to do that. The family IT guy is supposed to be teaching me one of these days....then again, he was also supposed to have already chimed in on this little gathering... :rolleyes1

So, I'll save that stuff for another post. I thought I'd get some input on an idea Shelley and I had. We were thinking of putting together little goodie bags for the people coming with us on the trip. Nothing extravagant, but little things that they can use while they're there. We thought of a few things we could put in them:
  • hand sanitizer
  • wet wipes
  • one of those "cooler things" - the ones that you hang around your neck and dip in water to keep you cool
  • small things of sunscreen
Anyone have any ideas of other things we could add to this? We're looking for things that are useful but still cheap! We don't want to go overboard - we just thought it'd be fun for them to get something once they get to their rooms. I didn't know if the front desk would give them out when people checked in, or not, but I thought that would be fun, too.

And...I realized that I forgot two people in my little photo introduction earlier!!! I can't believe it! This is DH's cousin Norah (with DD last June).
DSCN0563.jpg

She lives in Dallas, TX and will be bringing along her goddaughter (whose picture I won't post, since she isn't mine!!). DGD (for goddaughter, for now) will be 6 for the trip - same age as Jack, but a girlie-girl to run around with Haley. Works for me! :thumbsup2

did you get to ride in one of the new double decker south shore trains when you went up?

I have pictures of some of the loot I've stashed away for the trip. But...they're not loaded onto the computer yet. Sorry, guys - I still haven't learned how to do that. The family IT guy is supposed to be teaching me one of these days....then again, he was also supposed to have already chimed in on this little gathering... :rolleyes1

So, I'll save that stuff for another post. I thought I'd get some input on an idea Shelley and I had. We were thinking of putting together little goodie bags for the people coming with us on the trip. Nothing extravagant, but little things that they can use while they're there. We thought of a few things we could put in them:
  • hand sanitizer
  • wet wipes
  • one of those "cooler things" - the ones that you hang around your neck and dip in water to keep you cool
  • small things of sunscreen
Anyone have any ideas of other things we could add to this? We're looking for things that are useful but still cheap! We don't want to go overboard - we just thought it'd be fun for them to get something once they get to their rooms. I didn't know if the front desk would give them out when people checked in, or not, but I thought that would be fun, too.

Water flavoring packets (crystal light or kool aid).
Gum
Tylenol

That is all I can think of right now. We can also add in the shirts we are going to make. :goodvibes

I haven't updated in a while! Jen let me know that the June hours are out! Which means we need to compare our itinerary with the hours. I am hoping that we were pretty close with our dining plans for each days park hours. Jen is going to be making our ADR's next Tuesday. I am excited!

My DH and I got our tree up this weekend. I will have to post pictures of some of our Disney ornaments. I love to get an ornament each time we visit WDW. Also, Bryan and Jen were nice enough to pick up a plate for me at the Disney store that has Mickey and Minnie on it and it says Santa's Cookies. I will have to post a picture of that as well.

Tomorrow Prep and Landing is on! :santa::santa:

Oh my! Jen, we are neglecting our PTR! I feel like I have to tear down some cob webs in here. Sorry for not updating in a while. Things have been busy for the last month or so. Now that Jen and I are off for our Christmas break I am sure that we will be able to get on here a little more. Our ADR's have been made. I will let Jen post the schedule since she did the leg work and got our reservations. We were able to get pretty much everything we wanted. One place was a big surprise that we didn't think we would get with such a large group (any guesses?). We are also trying the Liberty Tree Tavern which I am excited about since we have never been there before.

In Disney news, we will be making our own group T-Shirts again. We went in with Bryan and Jen and our in laws on a "Yudu" t-shirt screen printer. I am excited to see the finished products.

Jen and I are going to do more planning this weekend when they visit for Christmas. We are also going to be able to start planning what we are putting in the goodie bags for everyone and maybe even start to pick up a few things.

I am off to finish up some Christmas projects.:santa: Thanks for sticking with us!

Hi, everyone! Sorry for such a delay. Like Shelley said, it's been busy (I'm sure everyone can relate). But I'm on Christmas break from school, I've finished one grad class and the next doesn't start until Jan. 11, and (since Christmas is over) the Christmas stuff is done. ;) So....I finally have time for the DIS!! I only had a few pictures to post of previous years...sorry!

Dec. 15th was our ADR date, and I was up bright and early. And this was AFTER being up until almost 1 trying to rearrange our park days!! Shelley and I had tentatively picked park days based on Tour Guide Mike's best crowd level days for 2009 - for lack of anything better to go on. We had to make dining decisions, after all! So we thought we had everything planned out. Then Disney finally released the June park hours, and we realized we had a few problems - namely an early morning EMH we wanted at MK (that's our biggie) that wasn't working. So, DH being the technical, visual-spacial guy that he is...he cut up little pieces of paper, one for each morning and afternoon (since we usually take a break mid-day). We sat and moved things around and around, and finally came up with a tentative plan that allowed us to hit EMH on the Tuesday that we're there, and still keep ourselves a few free days so as to not overtax anyone. In fact, we were up so late that I tried logging into the on-line system on the Disney website, but I couldn't get my dates yet. Thank goodness I'd taken the 15th off (to spend time with my brother, who was in from CA, and to bring treats into Kindergarten for Jack's bday), because I'd have been awfully bleary-eyed in my classroom the next day!

I had no trouble calling in for my ADR's, and though the CM I talked to wasn't the warmest, friendliest person I'd ever talked to, she did what I asked. So, after that first day, this was what I had:
- Sunday (arrival) - late lunch at Sci-Fi (we'll have some people arriving that morning) at 2:55. We wanted lunch, because we've heard that menu is better (in other words, we've heard that we should stick to burgers and shakes). But we had to make it as late as we could. We'll be spending the entire day at DHS that day - we just found out that it's the very last day of Star Wars Weekends! DH is pretty bummed we'll only have one day, but at least it's a full day!
- Monday - dinner at Chef Mickey's.
100_5849.jpg

100_5842.jpg

(These are from 2007 - pre-Will ;))
This is a must for us, and I think we might actually all sit together. I just hope we're still in the main room instead of the side room. We'll have to see.
- Tuesday - this is the EMH day at the MK, so we're trying Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch. None of us has ever been here before, so I'm looking forward to it. I read on a trip report that their pot roast is good. I just hope the kids do ok - this is one of the few places we're going without characters or entertainment of some kind. I'll have to pack some things to occupy them in the bag that day...
- Wednesday - We wanted Tutto Italia for this day. The CM told me that, due to our party size, we would have to call the restaurant directly. She gave me the number and told me to call...at the time when I'd be traveling to school for Jack's birthday thing. So, DH called instead. More on that later...
- Thursday - 1900 Park Fare for dinner. I also made a BBB ressie for Haley and Ruby that morning. It's for earlier than I'd hoped - 9:30 - but I might try and call back for a later time (we were hoping for closer to 10:30, because we're going to dinner). We can't do much later than that because the boys want to be at DisneyQuest when it opens. We're excited about this meal, too. The characters sound like they'll be great, and there are a few things on the buffet that really look good (DH can't wait to try the chilled strawberry soup - he had some on a cruise we were on in 2006 and loved it).
- Friday - 'Ohana for dinner. This one might change.
100_6089.jpg

100_6083.jpg

(DH and Haley learning to Hula)
We went in 2007 and many of us enjoyed it - but not everyone. My MIL didn't really care for it (FIL literally ate his weight in peel and eat shrimp, so he is pumped about going back), and my aunt Deedee isn't much of a meat person (not a good match for 'Ohana). Does anyone know if you can order off the Kona menu at 'Ohanas, by any chance? She saw something there she was interested in, but we couldn't get in (that's where we actually wanted to be, anyway, but there was nothing open).
- Saturday - 8:10 ADR for Crystal Palace breakfast!!!
100_0800.jpg

We're excited about this one. It's our last day there, and DH, the kids, and I really, really enjoyed it last trip.

So, I got off the phone happy - we'd gotten 5 out of 7 ADRs, and all at times that work for us, so we were in pretty good shape. Plus, there was still the chance we could get Tutto. So, I called DH and gave him the info, and went about my day. Jack's bday treat went over well, and Mom, my brother and I went to lunch and to the mall to do some shopping. I swear, I laughed so much I had to take my rescue inhalor! My brother is so much more fun as a grown up. :rotfl2: About 2, I called DH to see what they'd told him at Tutto...apparently, only a manager could take an ADR, and the manager wasn't in. Great. So we were waiting for a call back. We did some more shopping, picked Haley up at school and Jack at home, and headed to see Princess and the Frog (GREAT movie, btw! :thumbsup2). Before the movie started, I checked in with DH again...still no call back. Hmmm. Not looking great. We never did end up getting a call back that day. So DH called back the next day. I was at school, and got an email that said he was informed that Tutto Italia didn't make reservations that far in advance, and to call towards the end of January. WHAT?? By that time, there'd be so many tables taken by normal-sized parties through the Disney system, we wouldn't be able to fit (at least not during normal dinner time, and with four kids a 8 p.m. dinner ressie is not really in our plans).

Ok, on to plan B. I called Disney Dining again after Shelley and I had a chance to work out what else to do (we decided to make an ADR at the Garden Grill - DH and the kids and I went in 2008 and enjoyed it - as a back up in case we were right about Tutto being filled). I got a CM by the same name as the last time, but this one was a completely different lady, and really friendly. I explained the situation to her and told her we needed an Epcot reservation that day in case Tutto couldn't get us in. She agreed that it was a good idea. Now, we'd agreed to do Garden Grill, but both Shelley and I had wanted to try Le Cellier. I decided to try for it, even though it was pretty darn unlikely. Gina (the CM) actually laughed when I asked her about it, but she tried it (her suggestion, once I gave her the total number in my party, was Biergarten - not someplace I think our group would handle well!). We sat and talked while the computer was churning out options - she tried to sell me on the other ones that came up, including Tempan Edo (a prior "no" from DH) and Marrakesh (sp? - there's no way I'd get my in-laws there). Then, even though she told me she didn't believe it, the computer coughed up a 1:45 lunch reservation available - for our party of 16!! She was amazed, and so was I, but she snapped it up for us right away. We both had to laugh as she read me the little spiel that comes after each reservation - the normal Disney transportation reccomondations, needing park admission for this restaurant...and an unusual caution that "Due to size, parties of 17 or greater cannot be accomodated at this restaurant." We'd made it by one person! ATTENTION FAMILY MEMBERS: NO ONE ELSE CAN JOIN US NOW. WE'RE CLOSED. :lmao: Gina actually laughed and told me that she thought we might take up the whole restaurant on our own before I hung up...now THAT would be cool.

Anyway, that is our dining schedule for now. We've decided not to worry about Tutto Italia - if we can actually all get in to Le Cellier, we're going to take it! Shelley and I met together today and did some surfing on the DIS, wrote an email to our traveling companions, and made a list of things to do before the trip. We're tentatively planning to meet up during President's Day weekend so that we can (hopefully) leave the kids with my in-laws and head to their house to make some t-shirts or something else that we can cross off our to-do list.

I'm sure I'll be back with some updates - I'd like to do a mini-TR on our stay at Great Wolfe Lodge before school starts. I hope everyone had a peaceful and happy Christmas, and is able to get some R&R in before the New Year!

I am glad Jen was able to get so many of the places we wanted! :thumbsup2 Especially, the super surprising Le Cellier.:yay: I think we have a good balance of buffet, sit down and character meals.

Here is my take on where we are going:

Sci Fi Dine In
DH and I went here on our honeymoon. We loved the Oreo milkshakes. The atmosphere was really cool. I think our niece and nephews are going to love it.

Chef Mickey's
We went here for the 1st time in 2007. It was a lot of fun. We enjoyed the food and watching the kids interact with the characters.

Liberty Tree Tavern
As Jen said this is a new one. I love the colonial atmosphere of Liberty Square so I think this will be up my alley. The gooey toffee pudding looks good.

Le Cellier
We are super excited to try this! My DH is also really looking forward to it. I am getting the chocolate moose for dessert.

1900 Park Fare
This looks like it will be a blast with the character interaction. The food also looks like it will please everyone in the group.

O'hana
We had a lot of fun here last time. I think that the kids will have a good time here again. We enjoyed the food, although the menu has changed some from the last time we were here. This could change if we get Kona Cafe.
I wonder if we should try to split our group between the two restaurants. Hmmm, what do you think Jen?

Crystal Palace
I am glad that we will get in early for our ADR so we can get some semi-empty Main Street photos. I have read tons of good reviews of this buffet.

We also have a general plan of our CS restaurants and snack ideas popcorn:: but we can save that for a later post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter