Jedi Academy - Tips & Highlights

I just wanted to thank everyone for their tips on getting picked for the Jedi training. We made a sign on bright green cardstock that said "Will Padawan - choose me" and my son drew a picture of a lightsaber in the middle.

We walked up to the show at 10:20 and I made sure he was as close to the blue line as possible - we were on the right side so it wasn't too hard.

He got picked right away and fought Darth Maul after I bribed him. He was really terrified to fight him until I offered a Lego set if he did and that did the trick.

If it weren't for the green sign I know he wouldn't have been picked so a big THANK YOU to everyone!

:worship:

I was not going to attempt any of these tricks because I figured, they probably would pick one or two of my boys but not all three, so why try? But I'm very encouraged by these reports and will attempt to use the tips recommended. Thank you!!

I was not going to attempt any of these tricks because I figured, they probably would pick one or two of my boys but not all three, so why try? But I'm very encouraged by these reports and will attempt to use the tips recommended. Thank you!!

I very much felt like that too at first. But seriously, I think especially if they all look similar and are dressed similar they will call all 3 of yours up like they did with mine. If you go the extra mile to dress them in star wars tshirts or costumes, even if they aren't all star wars costumes, they stand out in the crowd. Only downside I found was despite there being so many children picked 2 of my boys ended up fighting the 2 Darths at the same time which was probably just bad luck. The photos the Disney photographers take are great too so make sure you check them out in the shop and get them loaded on to your photopass if you like them :) They give you a card as you leave the area to tell you what time they will be available at the photo shop on Main St. It won't happen automatically obviously so you have to drop in to the shop to identify your children.

I just wanted to throw our expereince out there as well. I was not at all prepared and had not read this thread as it never occured to me that DD (almost 5) would be interested in doing this. We've watched the show every year though so maybe I should have figured it out! :confused3 Anyway, as we were not at all prepared, we just sent her down there with her Uncle and they were in the front row. No sign, no costume, no star wars t-shirt. She was in a shirt I had made for her (red with a minnie silhouette on it and her name under it) When it was time for kids to be picked she just jumped up and down with her hands in the air and Uncle kept pointing at her and she did get picked so she was thrilled. This was the highlight of the trip for most of our group! :yay:

These are great tips and stories.

Are there any times which are less crowded and how early should be show up?

Thanks!

Don't know if you've already gone to DL, but wanted to let you know that I've had all three of my boys picked together multiple times.

In fact, one afternoon this August I had all three of my boys, plus my niece and nephew, in the same show.

Make signs! We made signs the last time we came, in 2007. This year, I figured, "By now everyone will know the 'sign trick' and the audience will be full of signs." Nope - they were the only kids with signs and they were the first five kids picked.

We are planning our first trip to DL in April and it is great to get all these little tips.

But I'd like to share my DS's Jedi Training story from his first trip to WDW in 2009. He was turning 5 on that trip and of course we wanted him to experience as much magic as possible. He was picked to be one of the helpers at the Lion King show, but was too shy to go up. Alice and the Mad Hatter were opening the Tea Cups one morning and we figured out how to get him chosen to ride with them, but he said the Mad Hatter was too loud, so he didn't do that either.

Then he saw the Jedi Training and that was something he REALLY wanted to do. So we asked the CM what we needed to do and she explained that DS needed to stand at the blue line and maybe he would be chosen for the show. One parent told us that since DS was a lot smaller than most of the other kids that he probably wouldn't be picked since they don't put 5 year olds up there with a bunch of 10 year olds.

So the Jedi Master comes out and DS is standing at the blue line, on the left side of the stage when the kids are chosen. He was standing off by himself away from other kids and the majority of the other kids were all clustered together at the middle of the stage though some were scattered like DS on the left and right. There was a lot of pushing by the other kids (2 children were knocked down and one wound up being stepped on) as well as a lot of yelling. DS just stood on his own and raised his hand like he does in school and waited for the Master to turn his way. The Master began choosing children on the right side and worked his way left, though he completely passed over the children in the middle. And finally DS was chosen (and he didn't care that he was given the last spot). He took off so fast for the stage, that he made it up the stairs (which were on the right side of the stage) and on to the front center spot before the other kids could get in place. I will NEVER forget the look on his face when he turned to wave at us from the stage (as a matter of fact, I got a great picture of that very happy face).

When the dust settled and we got a look at all the kids before they put on their robes, we realized several things: 1-Not one of the children were wearing anything Star Wars related, 2-Not one of the children who had been chosen had been yelling, 3-And not one of the children who had been pushing and shoving in that middle group had been chosen.

I like that he didn't have to do anything extra to be chosen to be a Jedi. And I like that even though he was smaller than 98% of the other kids in the crowd, he was still picked. It made his trip.

Things are done differently now at WDW and it seems the same at DL too and I guess I can understand why, but the randomness of how he was chosen, just makes that moment a little more magical to me.

I guess we'll have to talk about it and make sure we are prepared if he wants to try it at DL. Thanks for the tips.

I'm hoping to convince DD1 to do this. She's a major SW fan right now - she was Princess Leia for Halloween. Unfortunately, she's afraid of being hurt by Darth Vader/Darth Maul. I even showed her some YouTube clips and pointed out that every kid came out unscathed.

Any tips on what I can tell her to convince her that she won't die, lol!

I may have my work cut out for me since on our last trip (she was just shy of 5), she ran crying from Capt Hook when we tried to get her to take a picture with him.

I know she'd have a blast doing it since she's done something similar in her Tae Kwon Do class... (playing with foam noodles.)

Yes, she can sit through the movies, somehow.

I'm hoping to convince DD1 to do this. She's a major SW fan right now - she was Princess Leia for Halloween. Unfortunately, she's afraid of being hurt by Darth Vader/Darth Maul. I even showed her some YouTube clips and pointed out that every kid came out unscathed.

Any tips on what I can tell her to convince her that she won't die, lol!

I may have my work cut out for me since on our last trip (she was just shy of 5), she ran crying from Capt Hook when we tried to get her to take a picture with him.

I know she'd have a blast doing it since she's done something similar in her Tae Kwon Do class... (playing with foam noodles.)

Yes, she can sit through the movies, somehow.

Is she more afraid of one of the Darths over the other? Darth Maul is very scary, even to me...LOL. If it helps at all, the younger kids usually fight Darth Vader and the older kids fight Darth Maul. Is she 6 years old? From what I've seen, chances are that she would get Darth Vader. Can't guarantee it, but that has been the pattern. :)

Is she more afraid of one of the Darths over the other? Darth Maul is very scary, even to me...LOL. If it helps at all, the younger kids usually fight Darth Vader and the older kids fight Darth Maul. Is she 6 years old? From what I've seen, chances are that she would get Darth Vader. Can't guarantee it, but that has been the pattern. :)

I agree with you - Darth Maul is absolutely frightening! My 5 y/o is on the taller side - and he got chosen to fight Maul - but he did fine! I was more nervous for him than he was for himself!:thumbsup2

I agree with you - Darth Maul is absolutely frightening! My 5 y/o is on the taller side - and he got chosen to fight Maul - but he did fine! I was more nervous for him than he was for himself!:thumbsup2
Wow...5 years old and chosen to fight Darth Maul! .....Glad he did well! Good for him! I would have been shaking all over. :)

Nope, doesn't matter which bad guy - she's afraid of both. Well, luckily we're getting APs. Maybe if she doesn't work up the nerve this time, she'll want to do it next time. I just don't know how long she'll be into Star Wars...

Nope, doesn't matter which bad guy - she's afraid of both. Well, luckily we're getting APs. Maybe if she doesn't work up the nerve this time, she'll want to do it next time. I just don't know how long she'll be into Star Wars...
How many days will you be there? Since there are multiple shows each day, maybe after she watches a few shows in person, it will be easier for her to see exactly what takes place and then she can decide if she wants to try it. Good Luck! Let us know what happens. :)

Just wanted to add my two cents to this thread. Holding a sign really does work! We took our 8 yo DGD in November. We lined up at the end of the previous show to wait for the next one. A cute little girl, about 6, who had been chosen in the previous show, came up to DGD and handed her a sign, saying "here, this worked for me." It was just a simple 8.5x11" piece of paper, with a hand-written message that said "Please, please pick me". Very simple. But by holding up that sign, and jumping up and down, DGD was the very first child picked in her show.

I video'd the entire thing. So, so cute!

-Bob

We had 3 boys with Star Wars shirts and signs on 11/26/11, and all three were picked.
It really worked, first time. Thanks everyone!

When we went, my 4-year old daughter was matched up with Darth Maul, which suprised all of us. We told the pre-show host (before the pre-show) that she had practiced all the moves at home and was excited to fight the real thing. Maybe the word got out to the main host? Maybe her overflowing excitement got her to fight him? Don't know. But she did great and we've got awesome pics. Hopefully we can get the work it so she can fight Vader next time.

I just read somewhere but can't find it again that now you have to sign up for the training, sounded like first in first served. Can anyone please confirm this?

I just read somewhere but can't find it again that now you have to sign up for the training, sounded like first in first served. Can anyone please confirm this?
The Jedi Training at Disney Hollywood Studios at Disney World in Orlando takes signups. At DL there are no signups. They have more space and the approach of picking kids from the crowd remains.

Long bus rides, excessive humidity and signing up for the Jedi Training Academy are all exclusive to the "resort in the swamp". At DLR, the Master Jedi still picks the kids before the show.

Good to here that all the tips are still working & that Dis kids are still having a blast defeating the evil Darths. :thumbsup2

EDIT: HG BEAT ME TO IT BY A MINUTE.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter