Jawas no longer trade at Launch Bay?

They traded with us last week. I made sure to bring items they could also trade out to children later on (like party favor type things we had picked up from Party City).

No trading at Dessert Party on sept 18. We had bought things to give to kids who needs things to trade and we wanted to trade as well.Gave the items to a nice cast member to give to kids. Bummer

This is a bummer. Was really looking forward to this. Would have been a new experience for us. So disappointed in what's NOT happening when we visit in October.

Honestly, it was an absolute cluster when we were there in June. It was BEYOND frustrating, and my kids walked out of there upset. I can see how things need to change up - but it is the cool ideas like this that keep WDW ahead.

Honestly, it was an absolute cluster when we were there in June. It was BEYOND frustrating, and my kids walked out of there upset. I can see how things need to change up - but it is the cool ideas like this that keep WDW ahead.

The bold is why I could see this going away completely. It was probably suppose to be a surprise thing and then as what happens with all cool things at Disney it made it to the internet. Families tell their kids, kids get excited, the get to Disney and it doesn't go as described on line and then kids and family leave upset. I believe originally the Jawas did not "trade" but rather would offer you something for whatever they liked so kids wearing light up bracelets, husbands, magicbands, maps, paper whatever. Once it got out people started initiating trades but when the Jawas turned them down they got upset. So now it'll go away and maybe once people stop asking for it they'll bring it back but for now they will just be out randomly through out the day.

The bold is why I could see this going away completely. It was probably suppose to be a surprise thing and then as what happens with all cool things at Disney it made it to the internet. Families tell their kids, kids get excited, the get to Disney and it doesn't go as described on line and then kids and family leave upset. I believe originally the Jawas did not "trade" but rather would offer you something for whatever they liked so kids wearing light up bracelets, husbands, magicbands, maps, paper whatever. Once it got out people started initiating trades but when the Jawas turned them down they got upset. So now it'll go away and maybe once people stop asking for it they'll bring it back but for now they will just be out randomly through out the day.

I can see that. I can guarantee I did not complain or hype it up (I didn't even know what Jawas were...). But, it was SO disorganized and so many kids waited patiently and then the Jawas would walk away, ignoring them completely. Not just my kids. And there were SO many people. It was aggravating. I am NOT going to follow that short little thing around to get a stupid trinket, but so many parents were (and not succeeding), and the kids were angry that they were being dragged around and that they were being ignored. Just a cluster.

I agree with a previous poster .. the internet probably "ruined" it.

It was probably a cute little surprise "extra magic" which (as people found out via forums like this one) .. became an attraction in itself. They were probably constantly mobbed and probably didn't have the items to keep up with the demand. It just probably couldn't be controlled .. especially as more and more people "discovered" they did that (and as it gets more crowded with the fall months).

Just like how everyone "expects" cards from Mickey in their rooms, phone calls on their birthday and towel animals on their beds. Great little extras, but when guest "expect" this . it isn't very magical anymore and Disney probably can't keep up with the demand without having guests complain. "Where was my birthday card from Mickey? I heard on the internet you get one! This place sucks!"

I got a free locker at MK by answering some trivia (I was the only one getting a locker at the time and the CM just offered it out of the blue) .. but if people started expecting that .. the counter would be mobbed with people (and complaints) .. "Where is the trivia to get my free locker? I read on the internet you do that!".

This is why we can't have nice things ... :)

Jawas always traded when we went during SW Weekends. You could hold up what you had and they would decide if they were interested. It was discussed on the internet then, they were out walking around, and it was always a controlled situation.

At SWW it was their thing and part of the fun was them staying in character and sometimes accepting your item, sometime not - scampering away. And they would trade back equals. I saw a woman give them a folded up park map because that is what she had and she got back a crumpled up napkin. Fair trade and all in good fun.

Since they arrived at Launch Bay we have traded with them many times including a few weeks ago. They have always been great with us BUT they are swarmed by adults, guests pushing them, being rude, making fun, trying to hand them junk they can't take (food etc) and it obviously was a tough job for the handlers. Trading was never guaranteed ..... and I'm glad they stayed in character. I would rather them not trade than change their characters just to make people happy. They are scavengers, swindlers, thieves .... not playhouse Disney types.

Once SW Land opens would love to see them IN a character meal where trading can be more controlled. We actually traded with them at the Rebel Hangar and it was awesome to have the interaction without others shoving them around.

Last edited:
The Jawas are part of Disney's magical surprises, they are not listed on the map or in the times guide. The best way to approach this is not hyping it up, especially with kids. Have some items available to trade and then if the Jawas are trading go ahead and try it, if not, no worries cause you didn't hype the experience up.

I was at DHS today and 2 Jawas were out in the Cantina, one was there just for pictures and to interact and the other was trading. A kid walked up to the Jawa and offered an item to trade, the Jawa saw it, inspected it and then gave it back ad signaled "no trade" the kid said thank you and walked away.
This is the character of a Jawa, they will not trade if they don;t feel it;s worth it.
The same as you will be guaranteed not to get a hug or a high five from Kylo Ren and are sure to get a Chewie hug from Chewbacca

We traded with Jawas on 9/3 and 9/5. We brought light up rubber rings (party favors)- they LOVED them. They got excited and ran around the room and ran to the other Jawa to show it. I have 2 little boys that were each trading and one evening at the Dessert party the Jawa ran out of droid parts. It really wanted to trade with my little 2 year old for the ring, but all that was in its pouch was a glowing ice cube that someone else had obviously given. The Jawa showed the handler and he said "Are you sure you want to give THAT"- then they whispered back and forth, and the Jawa gave my 2 year old the glowing ice cube. He loved it and was thrilled. The next time, on 9/5 both boys gave light up rings again and were given 4 droid parts total. It was a great experience for them- but I knew what type of thing to bring due to these forums. We did see many people trying to trade with them, and saw them say no more times than yes. Older adults, young children. I heard the handler tell people many times that they liked shiny, glowing things. I can see how it would be a disappointment if they said no to trading, for us it was a great experience and my boys loved it (and I was very open with them that the Jawas might not trade and that was okay, too).

We saw the Jawas in August and didn't even realize they were doing trades, and grabbed a quick picture. Not a big deal one way or another.
I can't see why anyone would get upset that a 30 second interaction did not place or let it impact your vacation to the negative.

We were there 9/24 and the Jawas traded. They declined two others before me( didn't see what it was) but I had a keychain lite and they traded. Fun experience!

based on the last couple of comments it is seemingly more like they are trading, but only if it isn't junk. I remember early on people saying they traded all sorts of things that would go right in the garbage - those are things they are probably now declining and just "not trading"...no?

based on the last couple of comments it is seemingly more like they are trading, but only if it isn't junk. I remember early on people saying they traded all sorts of things that would go right in the garbage - those are things they are probably now declining and just "not trading"...no?

To me, the last couple comments suggest that Jawas will trade if your item lights up. Or I should say, they are more likely to trade if the item lights up. Light up rings/keychain lights.

We went last spring, maybe before word really got out (although it sounds like it was common as SWW)? Anyway, we just all wore Mardi Gras beads and went with the approach of just saying "hi" and letting them make the first move. They really liked the beads and we scored some lovely "treasures" - super cheap sunglasses, kids Minnie bracelet, etc. It was a lot of fun - hopefully it was start happening more often again...

I agree with a previous poster .. the internet probably "ruined" it.

It was probably a cute little surprise "extra magic" which (as people found out via forums like this one) .. became an attraction in itself. They were probably constantly mobbed and probably didn't have the items to keep up with the demand. It just probably couldn't be controlled .. especially as more and more people "discovered" they did that (and as it gets more crowded with the fall months).

Just like how everyone "expects" cards from Mickey in their rooms, phone calls on their birthday and towel animals on their beds. Great little extras, but when guest "expect" this . it isn't very magical anymore and Disney probably can't keep up with the demand without having guests complain. "Where was my birthday card from Mickey? I heard on the internet you get one! This place sucks!"

I got a free locker at MK by answering some trivia (I was the only one getting a locker at the time and the CM just offered it out of the blue) .. but if people started expecting that .. the counter would be mobbed with people (and complaints) .. "Where is the trivia to get my free locker? I read on the internet you do that!".

This is why we can't have nice things ... :)

I dub this the "Andy's Coming!" effect. CM goes above and beyond, word spreads on internet and soon it gets out of hand. You're absolutely right.

I dub this the "Andy's Coming!" effect. CM goes above and beyond, word spreads on internet and soon it gets out of hand. You're absolutely right.

Problem with the "Andy's Coming!" thing is that it's against policy for any Disney costume to touch the ground. That's one of the reasons why it stopped, on top of the fact that it's considered "dangerous". Remember when the Gaston that did the push-up contest was removed?

I do agree though...I saw it first hand. Few years ago I was at Hollywood Studios and one of the Green Army Men was walking around. I was people watching and saw a family walk towards the character. Heard the mom say, "Yeah, of course it's fine, go do it!" Kid walked up and yelled, "Andy's coming!" Green Army Man froze...waited a couple seconds, then went on with walking around. Problem was, that kid must have said it about 4 times, followed by other kids saying it multiple times. Poor castmember was a trooper and continued to freeze and unfreeze.

I got up from the bench and as I was walking past the group I said to my then girlfriend, a little louder than normal, "Weird why he's freezing. I know Andy's at college and Bonnie's at Sunnyside."

I'm sure the crowds actions didn't change, but I hope the castmember at least heard me attempt to get the insanity to stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter