***January 2022 Thread*** - Kicking Off 2022 with WDW!

I'm sure it's pent up demand due to the pandemic, but this is the first year I can recall in quite a while with such limited availability in January. We are staying the first full week and leaving Tuesday of the third week. Maybe it's the timing of New Year's and Marathon Week?

We are fully booked for Wilderness Lodge, but I still get a thrill out of checking every now and then which other resorts open up.

I'm sure it's pent up demand due to the pandemic, but this is the first year I can recall in quite a while with such limited availability in January. We are staying the first full week and leaving Tuesday of the third week. Maybe it's the timing of New Year's and Marathon Week?

We are fully booked for Wilderness Lodge, but I still get a thrill out of checking every now and then which other resorts open up.
I agree. Those feeling more comfortable travelling + 50th Anniversary celebrations.

Normally I love winter travel to get away from the cold and snow. This year I’ll add just getting out of the house to the list. ;)

I just got off the phone with Disney reservations - the Poly was only available for 3 nights of our selected dates so I had to book at Wilderness Lodge. We're goin 1/22 - 1/31 and I thought it was odd that Poly is fully booked. I'll keep checking to see if it opens up because that's our #1 choice. I was hoping the pent up demand would have calmed down a bit for late January.

News says that fully vaccinated international visitors will be allowed in the US starting in November. When we went in January 2019 it was a lot busier than we anticipated and there were several tour groups from South America. I know that's a big travel month as it's the beginning of their summer break.

International Travel Ban Ending Soon; Vaccinated Visitors Can Return to the U.S. Starting this Fall

I'm wondering if international travelers are already booked at Disney hotels in a hedge their bets kind of way, or if they start booking and will find no availability. Reading the article I'm guessing the number of incoming people will still be relatively low for a while. People still have to face strict rules to come in and some other countries haven't rolled out as much vaccination as others. Based on the timing of the ban lift I think this is going to benefit people with family here visiting for the holidays more than vacationers at least in the immediate future. Either way though, I'm curious how crowds will be over the course in 2022 overall. Predicted crowds for January aren't really high, but its certainly a lot more without international travelers than say September is.

We're International and have a trip booked for Jan 2022 but this is also the 3rd trip we've had booked. A lot of International visitors have trips booked then make decisions closer to the date about whether to travel or not.

Getting into the US via air has never been a problem from Canada. The bigger challenge has been Canada has very strict requirements of us returning home which caused us to cancel our trip that was supposed to happen earlier this month. That and the crazy numbers in FL.

We're International and have a trip booked for Jan 2022 but this is also the 3rd trip we've had booked. A lot of International visitors have trips booked then make decisions closer to the date about whether to travel or not.

Getting into the US via air has never been a problem from Canada. The bigger challenge has been Canada has very strict requirements of us returning home which caused us to cancel our trip that was supposed to happen earlier this month. That and the crazy numbers in FL.

That's interesting. I kinda figured the sold out aspect couldn't all be US visitors since that's not a great time of year to travel if you're worried about weather or have school age kids. January at least where I am, you don't get school breaks because it was just the holidays, its usually mid-term times, and weather can cause days off anyway.

Florida does have crazy numbers. I don't blame other countries for making it difficult to return from here even if we lift the ban.

That's interesting. I kinda figured the sold out aspect couldn't all be US visitors since that's not a great time of year to travel if you're worried about weather or have school age kids. January at least where I am, you don't get school breaks because it was just the holidays, its usually mid-term times, and weather can cause days off anyway.

Florida does have crazy numbers. I don't blame other countries for making it difficult to return from here even if we lift the ban.
Many people, myself included, take their children out of school to go to Disney. Our school board allows it so I do it. I will say this was not what we wanted to do now that's she's older but we desperately need a break so are hoping this Jan trip will work. If not, we'll delay for a 3rd time.

I called this morning to adjust the dates of our trip (3 nights moderate, 6 nights deluxe).

After work ended I thought why not call again to see if the Poly was available now. The wonderful CM was able to move our 3 rooms from WL to the Polynesian. I'm so excited, this is my bucket list resort!

I can't believe I am posting this, but I'm headed to Disney with my bestie, January 26th-Feb 1st!! We are staying at Pop Century. Only 125 days to go! Our ADR date is Nov 27th. It's time to make a list of our must dos. I also can't wait to experience Festival of the Arts and the cooler weather. This mama is stoked for 3 trips to my happy place for 2022!

Anyone know, Pre-COVID, typically what time were the fireworks in MK, EPCOT and HS in January? I’ve only been in May, June and November when they were later.
I’m going with some friends with kids (also a first for me, usually travel with all adults or solo), so we‘re trying to figure out when to time dinners and bedtimes.

Count us in for January! I’m a teacher and this year has already been a lot to necessitate a late winter visit to WDW to have something to look forward to. Just me and my DD for this trip, January 27-February 1. We haven’t booked and I’m hoping for discounts to come out soon but we’re leaning towards CSR in a tower room if no discounts come out. Otherwise, I’m itching to stay at an Epcot resort again (we stayed at Beach Club back in January 2020 and Boardwalk this past summer).

Does anyone here have insight about Martin Luther King Jr. holiday week crowds? I've always heard it is a time to avoid in January. But if my 2022 trip with my girlfriend goes well, then I may plan January 2023 with DH and DD. School calendars being what they are, MLK Jr week will probably be our best shot at "low crowds" and good weather. Thoughts?

Does anyone here have insight about Martin Luther King Jr. holiday week crowds? I've always heard it is a time to avoid in January. But if my 2022 trip with my girlfriend goes well, then I may plan January 2023 with DH and DD. School calendars being what they are, MLK Jr week will probably be our best shot at "low crowds" and good weather. Thoughts?

I went that week a few years ago and I'm booked for 2022 same time. Basically if you don't go the weekend/day of its not bad because you're past the last of the heavy crowds for a while. College is back, school kids are usually back and not having breaks at that time of year, and the marathon weekends are done. Touring plans have the parks in the 3-6 range for the most part that time of year. Not the lows of early September, but certainly not packed crowds of spring break or the holidays. If you're careful of how you plan out you will be able to do most everything you want and not wait too long for it. Weather (imo) was also really nice. It could be cold, I needed long sleeves and a fleece one day, but its not that horrible heat and humidity that tires you out. I also had no rain issues which was a nice break from the summer weather also.

I went that week a few years ago and I'm booked for 2022 same time. Basically if you don't go the weekend/day of its not bad because you're past the last of the heavy crowds for a while. College is back, school kids are usually back and not having breaks at that time of year, and the marathon weekends are done. Touring plans have the parks in the 3-6 range for the most part that time of year. Not the lows of early September, but certainly not packed crowds of spring break or the holidays. If you're careful of how you plan out you will be able to do most everything you want and not wait too long for it. Weather (imo) was also really nice. It could be cold, I needed long sleeves and a fleece one day, but its not that horrible heat and humidity that tires you out. I also had no rain issues which was a nice break from the summer weather also.
Thank you! It did look like from crowd calendars that Sat/Sun/Mon would be the worst. I think with a good touring plan we'd be alright even on those days.

Thank you! It did look like from crowd calendars that Sat/Sun/Mon would be the worst. I think with a good touring plan we'd be alright even on those days.

You definitely can plan around crowds if you work at it. And I have to be honest, I think the crowd calendars right now are predicted a little high for next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see that week in January that I'm going drop a bit. I wouldn't say the same about 2023 though. I think even next year the crowds are going to be a little lighter as I see us still in a bit of pandemic mode till the spring. The travel ban may be lifted by November, but I'm thinking there will still be reluctant people. I also think the bad blood between locals who aren't thrilled with the AP program and Disney is going to keep them from coming as often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter