Jan 19, 2019 - The day the magic died

Beginning January 19, anybody who purchases a resale contract for one of the 14 original Disney Vacation Club resorts will be limited to staying at those resorts.

That means that anybody who buys a resale contract after January 19 would not be able to use their points to stay at Disney’s new Riviera Resort or at the new Reflections- A Disney Lakeside Lodge at Walt Disney World or future DVC properties.

Once sales for the Riviera Resort begin, those who purchase a contract for that resort on the resale market will be limited to staying only at that resort.

Call me crazy but when my friend sent me the information (because I was considering buying more points but through resale) I read it as anyone who buys resale after 1/19/19 at any of the original resorts can only stay at them by exchanging their points - something similar to when a DVC person wants to exchange to use RCI. Please tell me I'm wrong...

I'm an original owner at SSR and figured I'd go resale because it's cheaper and I already have the perks as an original owner.

I just listed my 200 pt VGF resale contract yesterday. I'm done. DVC is starting to feel like one of those slimy "other" timeshare companies that I never would have considered doing business with. I'm not into this changing-the-rules-as we go crap that they have been pulling the last few years. I have a gut feeling that eventually, I'm going to get burned so I'm getting out while the getting is good. At some point (who knows when??), my contract will become hard to sell as the 11 other Legacy properties' deeds expire (most expire before VGF). Only Poly and CC have later expiration dates than VGF. I'm also pissed because I was planning on buying a direct Riviera contract but now that's out the window. I would be crazy to buy one knowing that if I ever wanted to sell, I would have to sell at such a deep discount. I'm a diehard Disney fan and know that this is the end of my several trips a year habit. Which makes me incredibly sad.

I just listed my 200 pt VGF resale contract yesterday. I'm done. DVC is starting to feel like one of those slimy "other" timeshare companies that I never would have considered doing business with. I'm not into this changing-the-rules-as we go crap that they have been pulling the last few years. I have a gut feeling that eventually, I'm going to get burned so I'm getting out while the getting is good. At some point (who knows when??), my contract will become hard to sell as the 11 other Legacy properties' deeds expire (most expire before VGF). Only Poly and CC have later expiration dates than VGF. I'm also pissed because I was planning on buying a direct Riviera contract but now that's out the window. I would be crazy to buy one knowing that if I ever wanted to sell, I would have to sell at such a deep discount. I'm a diehard Disney fan and know that this is the end of my several trips a year habit. Which makes me incredibly sad.

I'm not ready to sell but leaning away from buying resale points. Maybe just rent points if needed. :(

The part that I’m confused about.. As a current direct owner, I’m considering an additional purchase through resale. Will I be able to use the resale points purchased after Jan 2019 at new resorts? Assuming both contracts have the same use year.

The part that I’m confused about.. As a current direct owner, I’m considering an additional purchase through resale. Will I be able to use the resale points purchased after Jan 2019 at new resorts? Assuming both contracts have the same use year.
Not unless you submit that resale to Disney for ROFR by or before 1/19/19. All contracts are treated independently for how they were purchased.

I'm not ready to sell but leaning away from buying resale points. Maybe just rent points if needed. :(

I'm not quite getting what the rule really is:

The notification on the DVC website:

Update to Disney Vacation Club Resort Access for Contracts Not Purchased Directly from Disney

Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.

This change does not apply to contracts purchased prior to January 19, 2019. Contracts gifted to family members will continue to have the same Resort access as before the ownership transfer.

The eligibility rules for Membership Extras and RCI access remain unchanged.

The Buena Vista Trading Company Disclosure Guide has been amended accordingly.

What do they mean by EXCHANGE points? Are we talking using RCI?

You will only be able to use your “bought resale after Jan 2019 “ at the original resort, not Riviera or following. You can use your current direct points at the new resorts. If you buy before the indicated January date, or are in the ROFR time and Disney is looking at them, then you can use them at the new resorts.

I'm not quite getting what the rule really is:

The notification on the DVC website:

Update to Disney Vacation Club Resort Access for Contracts Not Purchased Directly from Disney

Effective January 19, 2019, only Members who purchase directly from Disney will be able to use their Vacation Points at the 14 existing Disney Vacation Club Resorts or future Resorts—such as Disney’s Riviera Resort or Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge. Resale contracts purchased for the existing 14 Disney Vacation Club Resorts will only be able to exchange Points into those 14 Resorts.

This change does not apply to contracts purchased prior to January 19, 2019. Contracts gifted to family members will continue to have the same Resort access as before the ownership transfer.

The eligibility rules for Membership Extras and RCI access remain unchanged.

The Buena Vista Trading Company Disclosure Guide has been amended accordingly.

What do they mean by EXCHANGE points? Are we talking using RCI?

My confusion as well!

My confusion as well!
You've always exchanged your points form Home Resort Vacation Points to DVC Vacation Points. That is the purpose of the BVTC. They are and always have existed as an exchange program from one DVC resort to another.

So we need to buy direct..
You will only be able to use your “bought resale after Jan 2019 “ at the original resort, not Riviera or following. You can use your current direct points at the new resorts. If you buy before the indicated January date, or are in the ROFR time and Disney is looking at them, then you can use them at the new resorts.
ok but how will the system differentiate if the resale points are purchased at the same resort as your current direct resort with the same use year?

There are a lot of contracts sitting on the resale market right now. I have no idea how many are selling but it does seem like there are a number being added to the different sites. I have been watching a few over the last couple of days and several of these have dropped in price today... I agree that there will certainly be people looking to add/purchase before the deadline but I would bet there will also be many who will hold off to see where this all goes. For me personally my trust in the product has really been shaken with all of these changes so even getting past the current changes does not really help me feel better about buying more points as I keep wondering what the next change is going to be... I am also not convinced that this most recent change is going to leave resale prices at the legacy resorts unharmed. Who knows for sure, but I don't think we can underestimate people's desire to have a fully functional membership. I think this will muddy the waters enough that many people who don't take the time to fully understand the product and options will discount resale in favour of the 'complete' package. I guess this was likely the intent with all of the resale restrictions over the last number of years but IMO this current one is a more fundamental change.

So we need to buy direct..

ok but how will the system differentiate if the resale points are purchased at the same resort as your current direct resort with the same use year?
You will have a different contract number for each purchase. That is how the system knows and you select which contract to pull from (not membership number).

I don't see how anyone looking to purchase resale now will have it completed by 1/19/19... right?

Dumb question...for those of us who own points prior to this day and purchase down the road after 1/19...can't (or couldn't) we just transfer the "new" points to our "old" contract and use "ALL" of the resorts? Just thinking....
Transferred points retain their original ‘thumbprint’...which is why you can’t transfer resort A points into resort B and use for 11 month booking advantage - only the original resort B points can be used at 11 months at resort B

This feels like a real timeshare now.. I can see all 14 resort contract values diminishing greatly as 2042 approaches.
Agreed. But some of the resorts that expire after 2042 will be desirable even if you can only use at that resort. Looking at you BLT, VGF, and PVB. So as long as some form of DVC is going strong people would still be interested in buying those only for those resorts. I have to wonder how many BCV resale buyers buy there with the intention of using at other resorts, likely none really or else the point cost would be much lower than the premium it commands now. So I think the three MK resorts on the monorail will end up being the same.

You will have a different contract number for each purchase. That is how the system knows and you select which contract to pull from (not membership number).
Yes, I have 25 contacts under my one membership.

Xxxx.1
Xxxx.2
and so on. One of these parts has some restrictions, so I could not use those points for Disney Resorts other than DVC. I think that’s the restriction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter