Jan 19, 2019 - The day the magic died

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by DougEMG, Jan 7, 2019.

1. we"reofftoneverland

we"reofftoneverland DIS Veteran

Not too impressed with DIS stock myself. Bad performer. They might want to be more concerned about their product and step away from the "pencil boys," as Walt Disney himself called accountants.

Edit: I am realizing that we do not own stock in DIS. This is interesting because we own stock in other companies whose products we love. But DIS has never attracted us.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    brianthompson1 and Madame like this.
  2. Chuck S

Chuck S DVC Boards Co-Moderator Moderator

Let us suppose that DVC never built another resort, and that we were limited to the existing 14 resorts until our contracts expire. I think the existing 14 resorts are pretty darned nice. I have stayed at my home resort of OKW almost exclusively for the last 27 years. I do want to try AK or Kidani, and I stayed at the Polynesian once. That's it! Will i ever stay at Riviera? Maybe once to try the gondola...but I could just as easily get a couple cash nights at POP for that purpose. Resale purchasers will still have 14 WDW resorts to choose from...just like ALL of us do, now. How is that "devaluing" resales? It isn't, it is only a selling gimmick for new direct sales. I doubt it would have any impact on my WDW or DVC stays in the future, and I think that would be true for most of us...given the problems booking at 7 months out for more popular resorts, it is doubtful a whole lot of members would be able to get into the newer resorts at 7 months anyway. I have greater issues with letting the newer resorts use the existing 14 resorts at 7 months. I think if they want to do this sort of thing, that they really SHOULD have made these new resorts into a completely separate DVC II type thing and not allowed ANY cross point usage with the 14 existing resorts. But as a direct OKW owner, I do see a small advantage...maybe...it will be easier for direct purchasers of the original resorts to book the newer resorts at 7 months, if we desire to do so. But I'll bet the point requirements will be crazy, so probably a moot point.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. ziravan

ziravan Welcome Home

Ummm. AKV expires in 2057. If your son is 10 now, he’ll be 48 when they expire.

5. Kim Gillihan

Kim Gillihan Kluvdisney

LOL... so funny!! I thought 36 didn't sound right! I think I let him calculate!!

kboo and lisaviolet like this.
  6. jade1

jade1 I spend half my money on WDW, and waste the rest.

Esp if Riviera resales tank. Could be a great deal.

kboo likes this.
  7. emilymad

emilymad DIS Veteran

As I have had a few days to digest all of this I am in the camp that I could see purchasing a resale Riviera contract if the price tanks. I think there is some price point where the risk would be worth it. Assuming we like the resort and assuming it could get past ROFR.

Mostly, I have been glad I have not added on over the years. We have a low amount of points which has worked for us. We need more points occasionally but we have substituted with cash stays at other Disney hotels. As we see more and more changes I want the flexibility to choose other vacation destinations.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    ZerasPride, kboo, Greg36 and 3 others like this.
  8. Woody412

Woody412 Mouseketeer

A bit off topic I know, and I apologize. I just found this hysterical. Bob Iger hasn’t had to think about the price of anything for quite some time. I imagine his chamber pot is worth more than my car.

9. jade1

jade1 I spend half my money on WDW, and waste the rest.

Agreed, I made the same point 3 plus times earlier yesterday.

DVC Legacy should pretty much stay the same, and is the one to own at least most of our points at IMO.

DVC2 can be filler stays, or skipped completely.

10. kboo

kboo DIS Veteran

See, THAT is going to be THE reason (of all the others you listed) that will make Riviera competitive. :love1:

Woody412 likes this.
  11. GeneralTso

GeneralTso DIS Veteran

The level of shock and dismay is amusing to me.
    Business is war. Disney will do anything to make a profit. It does not hold you and tell you it loves you at night. It's a business. Taking our money as easily as we are willing to give it up.

They want to smash the resale market, unless THEY control it.
    They are making it a miserable experience to buy resale through anyone but them. They started messing with the perks a few years ago. Writing on the wall.

Lots of posts about "pricing out the middle class" let alone poor people. To that I say yes. That's exactly what is happening. Crowd control, people willing (and able) to basically pay anything for park tickets and annual passes and add on events.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying it's the way it is the wave of the future. They do not care if people boycott or don't go anymore. Thousands behind them willing to do it.

12. Woody412

Woody412 Mouseketeer

I think most are expressing dismay at the fact that Disney used to at least pretend to be about more than the bottom line. Yes they are a publicly traded company with a duty to maximize their shareholders’ profits, but to many they used to be much more than that. They’re pulling back the curtain a little more every year and exposing us to the cold, hard truth. Am I shocked, sadly no. Am I dismayed, a little bit.

13. AdamsMum

AdamsMum DIS Veteran

I tend to agree with you, although I know it seems a bit dramatic. I first bought in 2007 then added on in 2008 so all my points are before "all the evil" happened. I liked that it was simple, everybody had the same rights, and it seemed to hold it's value. There was a warm and fuzzy feeling about it, everybody wins DVC and customer. I know perks come and go, but I was really disappointed when they took away free valet parking (BWV parking lot is a hike) and replaced it with free high speed internet, which they then proceeded to give to everyone on property. So much for membership enhancements. The change in who could trade out to RCI didn't really bother me, but I know some people felt it. Then they decided to create 2 membership levels, with new resales not having certain perks and not having the same membership card. That left a bad taste in my mouth. Now this change makes it complicated, and possibly my contracts won't hold their value as well, I'll have to wait and see. Seems like they keep pushing the envelope to see how far they can go. Plain fact is though, most new buyers have no idea what they are buying.

DVC has always been presented as not a traditional timeshare, and that's what I've told anyone who inquired with me, and I highly recommended purchasing if the circumstances fit. Now the shine is wearing off, woe is me. Maybe I'm unrealistic, but this was always sold as "magical", that's what I bought. If I wanted reality, I'd stay home.

snappy, petedis6, bumbershoot and 5 others like this.
  14. Madame

Madame DIS Veteran

I know this phrase from somewhere, like a book or something. It’s on the tip of my tongue. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right?!?

AdamsMum likes this.
  15. AdamsMum

AdamsMum DIS Veteran

Yup. One of my favourite books ever!

WilsonFlyer and Madame like this.
  16. Madame

Madame DIS Veteran

Mine too!

17. Brian Noble

Brian Noble Gratefully in Recovery

I think this happened on 12/20/91. It just wasn't as obvious.

18. Chuck S

But remember, Eisner, at least tried to theme resorts and buildings, and the Disney Decade of the 1990s? Why was he kicked out? Not because he "lost the magic" as Roy E. Disney tried to say. Mutual funds and investment people didn't care anything about that...they got rid of him because he was spending money and they were complaining because the company wasn't a growth stock and maximizing profit. In modern wall street, it is all about profit. profit, profit. The company stock was reclassified as a growth stock under Eiger, and has had huge stock price gains. Sadly, businesses doing business the old way of customer service, reliability and friendliness can not survive in this day and age.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Woody412 and Madame like this.
  19. jsand99

jsand99 Mouseketeer

I agree that Disney seems to be pricing out the middle class but wouldn't that be pricing out the majority of their guests? Wouldn't a lot of DVC owners also be part of the "middle class"?

20. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

Don't think it matters. The parks are full and revenues are up. It's very possible that the "middle class" isn't their target market. Sometimes, you can make more money with fewer customers.

I've read posts from more than one poster on the DIS, that said they would be willing to pay more for less crowding.

21. Chuck S

Yep, I'm here now. The ME bus from the airport to OKW, SSR and POR was full, the only vacant seats were the seats reserved for special needs behind the driver. That is the first time I have ever been on a full ME bus on that route. Marathon Weekend, which I forgot about when I booked, is alive and well.

jodifla likes this.