It's August, time to go to Disney! A 2018 PTR. updated with final plans/changes 08/15!

Hi Susan! I didn't realize you'd started a PTR, but I'm here now. It looks like our trip dates will be overlapping, so maybe we'll run into you again! (Either intentionally, or like last time as a happy accident!) I don't think our parks days are overlapping as much this time around, but we may still cross paths once or twice.

How special for you to spend this time with your niece!!
Thanks Megan! Yes, we definitely have some overlap so hopefully we will cross paths! You must be feeling great to have some time to unwind after a busy and stressful school year.

I am so excited to travel with my girl, she is one of my favourite people. :)

Oh my gosh!!! I am only 2 weeks away from Fast Pass Selections!
I have been thinking (ok, ok, obsessing) about what to choose for the last few weeks and I think I have it narrowed down. Right now I have a 5 day hopper plus ticket. I am planning on upgrading to an annual pass (yay!) when I arrive. However, I can only book for 5 days of FPs right now and will have to do the others totally last minute. This what I am looking at so far;

• MK: BTMR, SDMT, Splash
  • EP: Soarin', SE, Mission Space
  • AK: Navi, Safari, FoLK (day 1)
  • HS: Slinky Dog, ToT, RnRC
  • AK: Everest, FoP, Up (day 2)

The rest of the days I will just have to hope for the best and take full advantage of EMH, rope drop and good touring strategies. Thankfully, my preference is for the classic rides at MK so I can be perfectly happy going over to ride People Mover, CoP and the carousel and have a marvellous time. :)

Let me know what you think!

Great FP choices!! Your trip is really shaping up! I was just thinking the other day about how I need to get my behind in gear on picking our FP goals for August. It's right around the corner now! The first half of our stay is offsite, but the second half is at Disney, so I think my FP day for the 60-day window is June 21? I should probably double check that.

If in August it's anything like when I was there a couple weeks ago, you should be able to get into the Up show without a FP with no problems. They seemed to still be letting people in just as the show was about to start when I was there. But always good to have it just in case if it's a priority! I didn't get a chance to see it, but I'd like to this summer.

FP choices look good. I am hoping to get Slinky Dog as well.

Don’t you just hate the FP in Epcot, ugh! That is my hardest park. I might only do 1 day of picks there instead of 2.

I just heard the Character Spot is now tier 1, why? We will do the Visa meet and greet instead. Much less crowded, building doesn’t smell, and the characters are great there. They don’t feel rushed.

My FP day is 6/12, yikes coming soon!

Your trip sounds so fun! Can't wait to follow your plans and your trip! Thanks for following mine, fellow August traveler. Hopefully the heat/humidity doesn't get us down too much!

If in August it's anything like when I was there a couple weeks ago, you should be able to get into the Up show without a FP with no problems. They seemed to still be letting people in just as the show was about to start when I was there. But always good to have it just in case if it's a priority! I didn't get a chance to see it, but I'd like to this summer.
I think it looks really cute. I am not a big fan of Dino Land so it feels like FPs in AK can be limited for me. Now if I got 2 FoP FPs that would be great!

My FP day is 6/12, yikes coming soon!
Good luck with your choices tomorrow!

Your trip sounds so fun! Can't wait to follow your plans and your trip! Thanks for following mine, fellow August traveler. Hopefully the heat/humidity doesn't get us down too much!
:welcome: and thanks for joining in! I am one of those weird people who actually like the heat so I will be happy. Maybe it's because our Canadian summers are so short! I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip too. :)

FP time=excitement that the trip is becoming real!!!
I know!!! Are you feeling ready to plan yours?

I agree about the limited FP selection at AK! It's even worse for me because I don't ride FOP or Everest. We'll typically get those for Nathan, and sometimes I'll just get them for us both and let him ride twice. But other than the safari, there's not much I feel super-inclined to use FP for. Navi if I feel like riding it. And occasionally Kali and/or Rivers of Light. But it's tough. Epcot is a similar scenario for us, too.

Big, big changes....... oh boy!
I finally heard from my sister today after checking with her about flights for my niece AND she informed me that my BIL is not comfortable with my niece being away for 9 days in the summer and does not want her to go on the trip. I am so upset.....I was really looking forward to us having this time together and now it is not going to happen. If it was up to my sister she would be coming BUT both parents have to be in agreement, especially when you are traveling out of the country.

So now what???
One of my twins is thinking over the possibility of joining me instead (his 2 brothers don't want to go at all). He will let me know his answer tomorrow. I mean, how hard is it to say yes to a week at the Poly?? You know 16 year olds though so we shall see. My other option is to do another solo trip but part of me was really looking forward to having a partner in crime for this summer. Ugh....I need to cheer myself up. Tell me I shouldn't cancel and the trip will be great no matter what.

Keep your fingers crossed that Jamie says yes.... :)

Oh wow, that is big news, and really horrible. Would they be willing to let her go for a shorter amount of time? Would you be willing to shorten the trip? Regardless of their decision I say Go and have a blast, solo or not!!

I know!!! Are you feeling ready to plan yours?
We had to modify our dates, so I'm still figuring out new park plans.

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear this! :sad1: I'd be a little heartbroken. I know how excited you were for this trip with her. But I hope that you don't cancel! I know you had a fabulous time on your last solo trip, so there will be tons of magic and good times ahead if you can still go on this one! And I hope your son will go along with you. "how hard is it to say yes to a week at the Poly??" is right!! If I didn't already have a week booked at the Grand around the same time, I'd be inviting myself along! :goodvibes

I am so sorry to hear that! I sure hope your son decides to join you!

You can always hang with us as much as you want. What are your dates again?

Keep us updated!

Oh, man. That's rough. I know the feeling. I've had people back out of trips before and it's just heartbreaking.

I'm curious as someone mentioned above - would they be cool with her coming along if it wasn't for so long? Maybe a 4-5 day trip would be easier for them? You could still go the whole time and she could come for a couple days.

I finally heard from my sister today after checking with her about flights for my niece AND she informed me that my BIL is not comfortable with my niece being away for 9 days in the summer and does not want her to go on the trip. I am so upset.....I was really looking forward to us having this time together and now it is not going to happen. If it was up to my sister she would be coming BUT both parents have to be in agreement, especially when you are traveling out of the country.

Oh no! Are they not compromising on her coming at all? I hope you find someone to go with, and if not you can still have fun going solo!

Thanks for all the nice comments, you guys are the best!:grouphug: I am feeling better about everything today. Jamie is going to tell me today if he is going to come with me. A Mum and son trip would be really fun too. :) I won't deny that I am heartbroken over Clare not being able to come. I can only imagine how she is going to feel when her parents tell her. This is shaping up to be a stressful summer with both my parents facing significant health issues. I am heading to PEI to my cottage for a month to spend time with them and then come home to get Jack ready to head off to university. Which is a long winded way of saying that I am going to Disney regardless. A week at Disney is good for the soul.

Oh wow, that is big news, and really horrible. Would they be willing to let her go for a shorter amount of time? Would you be willing to shorten the trip? Regardless of their decision I say Go and have a blast, solo or not!!
Unfortunately, my flight was already booked and the change fees are crazy. It is really not worth it to travel from Canada for a shorter time either. I am going to go for sure. :)

I know you had a fabulous time on your last solo trip, so there will be tons of magic and good times ahead if you can still go on this one! And I hope your son will go along with you. "how hard is it to say yes to a week at the Poly??" is right!!
Thanks Meghan I will update this evening on his decision. I mean, it's the Poly, right??

I am so sorry to hear that! I sure hope your son decides to join you!

You can always hang with us as much as you want. What are your dates again?

Keep us updated!
You are so sweet, Caroline! Unfortunately, I am missing you and Andi by one day! You will be back getting your girl ready to go off to college when I arrive.

Oh, man. That's rough. I know the feeling. I've had people back out of trips before and it's just heartbreaking.

I'm curious as someone mentioned above - would they be cool with her coming along if it wasn't for so long? Maybe a 4-5 day trip would be easier for them? You could still go the whole time and she could come for a couple days.
She is only 14 so my sister would not want her flying to the US on her own. My sister was completely fine with the trip, it was my BIL who changed his mind. My dates were set so we had really hoped it would all work out but it is not meant to be.

Oh no! Are they not compromising on her coming at all? I hope you find someone to go with, and if not you can still have fun going solo!
Unfortunately not :( She would have to travel from PEI to Toronto and then to Orlando and my sister would not want her doing that on her own. My dates are set but I am hopeful that Jamie will decide to come and we will have a super fun mother/son trip. If not, I am going solo for sure. I really need a week in my happy place.

Last edited:
Oh, no :sad1: I am SO sorry to hear this news. I know how much you'd been looking forward to this time with your niece. I sure hope that your son will say yes, but I really do think you should keep this trip regardless. Look at me - I had vertigo and was beyond miserable and I am STILL happy the trip happened at all ::yes:: It may not be your ideal scenario, but it's still the happiest place on earth ;) And you'll have a great time no matter what! :hug:

Look at me - I had vertigo and was beyond miserable and I am STILL happy the trip happened at all ::yes:: It may not be your ideal scenario, but it's still the happiest place on earth ;) And you'll have a great time no matter what! :hug:
Thanks Tracy! I completely agree, no matter what happens I am going. I am the midst of planning out some new adventures and dining. It will be fun no matter what. :)

Another solo trip is in the works!
As much as I had hoped that Jamie would join me, he decided today that he would rather have more time at home after returning from the cottage. I think a certain new girlfriend may have something to do with that but oh well! The joys of being 16, lol!
So I am busy making changes......
I may look at even switching out resorts, part of me would like to try Port Orleans so I might look and see what rates are like there. Or should I stay put at the Poly with my magical rate??

So far, Day 1 and Day 2 plans remain the same. My day 3 plans for Hollywood Studios have been changed to a full afternoon at Typhoon Lagoon. I am thinking of dinner at Geyser Point that evening, then walking over to Fort Wilderness for the Chip'n'Dale campfire, EWP and HEA from the beach. Day 4 I am looking at a late arrival (4pm ish) to HS and an early dinner at Mama Melrose or HBD. I plan on taking full advantage of the late EMH at the park this evening. As of now, Saturday plans are staying pretty much the same although I may add in some more time at Disney Springs.

Even though these changes are not what I hoped for, I am determined to make the best of it. After all, I will be in my happy place and I know it will be a beautiful week. :)

part of me would like to try Port Orleans
I stayed at FQ 2 years ago on a solo trip and really enjoyed the proximity and boat ride(s) to Disney Springs!!
Similarly if you would really like to cut some costs, I stayed in a newly renovated room at POP this past January and absolutely loved it-an I am a die-hard Deluxe Queen (but those are reserved for trips with DH-anything solo I try to save money).

Mama Melrose or HBD
Definitely HBD, ate there (again solo) in January and it was wonderful!! So delicious, and the server was delightful.

I may look at even switching out resorts, part of me would like to try Port Orleans so I might look and see what rates are like there. Or should I stay put at the Poly with my magical rate??

Ooh...tough call! I know how wonderful that magical deal can be. That's how we did Poly last time, and how we're doing the Grand this time. And the convenience at the Poly is really incredible. Monorail to MK, walk or monorail to TTC, and then monorail to Epcot. And such a beautiful resort! But the PO resorts are also lovely, and it's always fun to try new places. And with the summer room offers, you could end up saving almost $100 a night. That might be worth it to me to switch if it's a solo trip.

Also, you should book at HBD! And get the cobb salad! One of my Disney favourites!! :love:

Even though these changes are not what I hoped for, I am determined to make the best of it. After all, I will be in my happy place and I know it will be a beautiful week. :)

That's a great way to look at it! You'll have a ball! And as you've probably experienced too, on the two brief times I've done Disney solo, I've never really felt alone. You meet wonderful people everywhere you go, and people always seemed eager to strike up a conversation when they noticed I was travelling solo. I do hope, though, that maybe when Clare gets a little older that you'll be able to take another shot at this and make those memories with her. Worst case scenario, three years from now, she can make her own decisions about when and where she wants to travel, and you two girls can go and live it up! :goodvibes Or maybe someday her parents would like to go along too, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter