It's A Small World - A Never-ending Pre-trip Report

Thank you Jill :) that's exactly what I'd have to do as well. I'm glad to know it's possible. It's an amazing opportunity and I'd be a fool not to take it. I'm just scared.

Just take the plunge and do it! You know your heart is saying yes.

Jill in CO

The job is in Spring Hill Florida which is on the gulf side. About an hour north of Tampa, and two hours west of Orlando, but right next to the gulf.

This sounds really nice. When I took a job with the company I still work for, I had to move clear across the country. I had one week to find somewhere to live and get myself organized. This is one week I will not forget as long as I live, but it has been so worth it both in terms of the job and the new life that this presented me.

Corinna

Oh Corinna you went to Carcassone! How amazing. Labyrinth by Kate Mosse is one of my favorite books of modern times. That and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. To see Carcassone something else. I enjoyed the photos very much thank you. It is not possible with my disability and health to visit this now. So seeing your photos was a real bonus! I love that book!

I am pleased Ovation of the seas is at Southampton. What is a quantum class? Is this the top class RC have? I am sure she is a beautiful ship. How wonderful to have the animal panda also. Is it me but I am not a fan of that name though. Ovation of the seas. It doesn't flow does it!

That is unique you have to book the shows. Never had that before which indicates they must be out of this world. Like you I never usually bother with the cruise shows. I have watched the DCL ones on the TV. Don't understand the hype. Rather see The Lion King at Ak...

I like the lanyards.

Dress choice is wonderful. Favorite is the butterfly! I am glad you are taking some middle eastern numbers. They looked good on you. Great to get them more secure! You don't want to do a Duchess of Cambridge!

I am not a big fan of Barcelona either I think I said before one look at Las Ramblas and those animals in cages... But like you adore Goudi. I love to see the progress of Sagrada Famalia. It's only taken them countless centuries so far.... I wonder if it's the same folks completing our M25 expansion here..

This sounds really nice. When I took a job with the company I still work for, I had to move clear across the country. I had one week to find somewhere to live and get myself organized. This is one week I will not forget as long as I live, but it has been so worth it both in terms of the job and the new life that this presented me.
Corinna

Oh my, that must have been the most stressful and hectic week ever! I'm glad it has worked out positively though :)

I accepted the job this morning, start date of May 23. I don't think it's fully set in yet.

I accepted the job this morning :) scared and excited at the same time.

Before I get to Corinna's posts, Congratulations Pam! I know that you have been laboring over a decision to move for quite some time.

Back to the PTR. I got really behind, but that's why I put my TR on a slight hold, so I can get caught up elsewhere!

How scary for that short period where the Ovation had to go back to drydock. Good to hear the first cruise is going well and that the soda machine suits your fancy.

So many great locations you'll be visiting and so many neat experiences I can't comment on all of them, the TR should be fantastic for all of us, but you will have a wonderful trip!

The dresses are beautiful! I'm just amazed at how big your closet must be! You get so many beautiful new clothes for each trip!

Your trip will be here very soon! I'm anxious for my own trip, but so far I'm more ahead of the game than the last two trips. I hope I continue to stay ahead of the game.

Oh Corinna you went to Carcassone!

I have not been yet. This will happen sometime between the 4th and the 6th May, with 5th May being the most likely day.

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse is one of my favorite books of modern times. That and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

I have read The Historian as well and really enjoyed it.

It is not possible with my disability and health to visit this now.

It is a shame that you did not get the chance to visit Carcassonne. I will make sure I will take plenty of photos.

What is a quantum class?

Quantum class is their most technologically advanced class of ships. They are the second largest ships in the fleet. Quantum of the Seas is already in Asia, Anthem of the Seas is in New Jersey and Ovation of the Seas will share here time between Asia and Australia.

Is this the top class RC have?

I suppose that is strictly speaking the Oasis class, which features the three biggest cruise ships in the world - Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas and Harmony of the Seas. I think the Quantum class is more our style though. Those ships are the most quirky they have in the fleet and I like quirky.

Ovation of the seas. It doesn't flow does it!

I actually quite like it.

Never had that before which indicates they must be out of this world.

First reviews of been mixed. We shall see.

Don't understand the hype. Rather see The Lion King at Ak...

I am with you on that.

Favorite is the butterfly!

I love that one, too.

I am not a big fan of Barcelona either I think I said before one look at Las Ramblas and those animals in cages

I have so far managed to avoid Las Ramblas and intend to do so this time as well.

I love to see the progress of Sagrada Famalia. It's only taken them countless centuries so far

That adds to its charm though.

I accepted the job this morning :) scared and excited at the same time.

Congratulations.

Oh my, that must have been the most stressful and hectic week ever!

Yes, it was, but it was worth it.

I accepted the job this morning, start date of May 23.

You start your new job before I am back from my trip.

I don't think it's fully set in yet.

That will probably take a little while.

How scary for that short period where the Ovation had to go back to drydock.

Yes, that was not a happy time.

Good to hear the first cruise is going well and that the soda machine suits your fancy.

She will actually be back from her second cruise tomorrow. She will do two more 7 night cruises and then it is our turn.

I am rather excited about the Coca Cola freestyle machines. I made good use of the ones at Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian in September.

So many great locations you'll be visiting and so many neat experiences I can't comment on all of them, the TR should be fantastic for all of us, but you will have a wonderful trip!

I am so excited about this. This is going to be a very different trip from what I am used to, but I think it will be amazing. I am looking forward to writing that trip report.

I'm just amazed at how big your closet must be!

Our spare bedroom is used as a combination of Graham's office and a walk in closet.

You get so many beautiful new clothes for each trip!

I actually need to have a purge of dresses I no longer wear.

Your trip will be here very soon! I'm anxious for my own trip, but so far I'm more ahead of the game than the last two trips. I hope I continue to stay ahead of the game.

You are slightly ahead of me. I hope everything works out as planned and you have a magical trip.

Corinna

Single Digit Day

Finally the long awaited day has arrived. We are finally in single digits before our trip. I am pretty much ready. The magnets are done and the earrings have been converted to a pendant. I have tried on and washed most of the new dresses. I still need to try on the new gowns. There are still a few things to be finalized like sorting out what we are doing the first evening in Paris and book the tickets for the Vatican museum in Rome, but other than packing, this is it. I also only have three days left at work, which helps. I have to work tomorrow and then have 4 days off. I then will work Wednesday and Thursday next week and then I will officially be on leave.

Corinna

Whoo hoo for the single digit dance! It won't be long now!

Jill in CO

Sorry I meant going to Carcosonne! I can't wait to see the photos.

I like the sound of the Qauntum class too. It sounds ideal. Thank you for the explanation of the different classes. My parents went on Slendor of the seas I think..

Single digits! How exciting. Looking forward to seeing that rose gold pendant and those dresses. I wonder what night will get the honour of the delightful Madame Butterfly?

I hope Graham has his charming waistjackets ready. I adore waistcoats. It is nice when a couple compliment their outfits in colour etc. I am not one to dress up at all. I do go as smart as you will see me to Palo etc but I just adore watching others at dinner that have gone the extra mile.

What is the dress code on RC is it like DCL in the main dining rooms where anything goes? ( within reason ) one can dress up black tie and another polo shirt and chinos?

Wow, your trip is getting so close!! Hope you get everything done before you have to leave!

I can't wait to see the photos.

Oh, there will be plenty of photos. I don't even dare to think how many there will be for the whole trip.

My parents went on Slendor of the seas I think..

Splendor of the Seas is the ship we went on in December. Unfortunately she left the fleet two days ago.

I wonder what night will get the honour of the delightful Madame Butterfly?

I have not decided yet. We are not finding out the rotation for the dining rooms until we get on the ship. You have however given me an idea. I think this dress will be worn on one of our nights at Silk, the Asian restaurant.

I hope Graham has his charming waistjackets ready. I adore waistcoats.

I am sure they will be packed. However, he will need to take a jacket this time round. One of the restaurant, The Grande, is formal every night and requires a jacket for men.

I am not one to dress up at all. I do go as smart as you will see me to Palo etc but I just adore watching others at dinner that have gone the extra mile.

I love it and given half a chance, I would wear a gown every night.

What is the dress code on RC is it like DCL in the main dining rooms where anything goes? ( within reason ) one can dress up black tie and another polo shirt and chinos?

The Quantum class ships are a little different in that the restaurant dictates the dress code rather than there being set formal and semi formal nights. For the Grande it is jackets for men, dresses, gowns or pants suits for women. For the other three rotational restaurants, it is smart casual so polo shirt and chinos is great.

and only three more days of work is fabulous!

... and now there are two.

Wow, your trip is getting so close!!

Indeed.

Hope you get everything done before you have to leave!

I hope so, too. Still a fair bit to get through at work, but I have half an admin day on Wednesday, which should help.

Corinna

Rome

I have visited Rome once previously when we did our Med cruise on the Disney Magic in 2010. At that time we took the train into Rome and then got tickets for the hop on hop off bus. I had two ambitions on that trip: to see as many of the sites from the novel Angels and Demons and to see St. Peter’s Basilica. I did pretty well with the first, but failed with the second. There was something going on at St. Peter’s Basilica that day and the lines for security were insane. So this is one of the things that I definitely want to see this time. We are going to take the train into Rome again, but I have found out that rather than taking the train all the way to the centre of Rome, we can get off at Roma San Pietro, which is a short walk from the Vatican. So this should safe time.

Vatican Museum

Our first stop will be the Vatican Museum. I will book tickets for this online and this is one of the things that are still outstanding. I am really torn about what time to book this for. The Vatican Museum was founded in the 16th century by Pope Julius II. The Vatican Museum is the sixth most visited art museum in the world. It is also one of the biggest museums in the world.

I have to admit that my interest in art is very limited. For all my love of architecture, paintings and sculptures do not really do it for me. There are two exceptions to that. I love the paintings of Marc Chagall and I love the work of Dale Chihuly. I am out of luck on the second count, but apparently they do have some painting by Marc Chagall. So I am looking forward to seeing those. They are housed in the collection for Modern Religious Art, which is in the Borgia Apartment. This is in its own right looks pretty special and I am looking forward to have a look around. I have also seen some other photos from around the Vatican Museums that look pretty stunning.

The main reason why I am wanting to visit is the Sistine chapel. I have been fascinated by this ever since I rode Spaceship Earth for the first time. I can’t wait to see this for myself. The Sistine Chapel is in the Apostolic Palace and is the last area that you come to on a visit to the Vatican Museums. Talk about saving the best for last.This alone is worth the admissions fee. Unfortunately this is the only part of the Vatican Museums were photography is not allowed at all, which is a real shame. I hope that they sell a photo CD.

St. Peter’s Basilica

St. Peter’s Basilica was until recently the biggest church in the world. The first basilica on this site was built in the early 4th century. It was consecrated in 326 and completed around 349 AD. In the middle of the fifteenth century, the original basilica was falling into disrepair. Pope Nicolas V ordered the restoration and enlargement. However, after his death, work stopped. After various stops and starts, the church was finally reconsecrated in 1626 by pope Urban VIII, exactly 1300 years after the consecration of the first church.

Interestingly enough, St. Peter's Basilica is not a cathedral. That honour goes to the Papal Archbasilica of St. John in the Lateran. However, I think St. Peter's Basilica may well be the most stunning church amongst the ones that I have seen. The list of people who who have created the interior reads like a who is who of Italian renaissance art. People who were involved in this include Rafael, Michelangelo and Bernini. I can't wait to finally get to visit this and hope that the lines for security are not too long.

We have no plans beyond this for Rome, but depending on how long these things take, we will probably do some more exploring.

Your Rome plans sound fabulous. I fear it would take me ages to get through those galleries. To top it off by seeing the Sistine Chapel, wow! St. Peters Basilica looks amazing as well. The stone sculptures are so humbling. How much patience and hardwork it takes to make something like that.

Your pendant turned out very nice. Thank you for the photo. What did you do with the other earring?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter