It is possible? Dream or nightmare?

Congrats on the prize win and :welcome: to the DISboards!

OP -- this can be done. But it sounds like you need to first find out specifics (is the date set, what exactly is covered, is there additional spending $ out of that pot or is the $6000 considered the prize value, etc.). Then work on the incidentals and costs you need to pay out-of-pocket. We'd all love to do everything, but most of us can't afford to do so. We live within our budgets and we learn to vacation within our budgets. Assuming the stateroom and taxes/gratuities are fully covered, and that you have a plan to cover the taxes on the prize, you can certainly make it to Vancouver for a DCL cruise to Alaska on your $2500 budget. There have been lots of good suggestions here.

nothing is included except the cruise itself (up to 4 people in a single porthole room) and the taxes/tips (up to $6000)

I interpret this as one oceanview stateroom. There may be some confusion as to whether by "single" you mean one porthole or one stateroom. There are oceanview rooms with two portholes, but any room on the ship is better than my bedroom at home for a week. We spend very little time in the stateroom anyway. Category 11 staterooms on opening day for 2017 were under the $6000 value mentioned, including taxes and tips; if this prize is offered directly through DCL, it likely is valued at opening-day rates and not current fares (which have increased considerably in the past year).

That leaves the absolutely necessary expenses of travel to/from Vancouver, lodging and meals on land pre- and post-cruise, and transportation to/from the port terminal. These are do-able.

You've mentioned your parents can help with airfare. I don't know what ballpark that might be -- so it should be your first research. But think outside the box -- your DH works for a school, so does have have summers off? Can you make it a road trip, complete with bring-your-own meals? Do you camp and could bring a tent for the overnight stops? DCL has washers and dryers onboard so you don't need to pack a ton of clothes. Do the math considering gas, hotels/campgrounds, food, parking in Vancouver and compare to airfare. Are you AAA members that might get you a discount? Many hotels offer lower rates if you pay in full in advance (non-refundable). And look at the amenities offered such as free breakfast or park-and-cruise (free parking while you are on the cruise); we like ones that offer hot breakfast and not just danish or pastries and coffee, worth a few $s extra per night. Eat a good breakfast that will hold everyone until lunch, and bring along foods for picnic lunch(es). Plan a driving route that will have some interesting stops along the way for breaks and gives the kids something to look forward to on the long drive. A PBJ at a local park can seem quite fun to kids that age, especially if there's a playground to let them burn off energy. Or maybe flying is less expensive, but be sure to budget for Passport books for everyone. If driving, Passport Cards are acceptable for the adults along with birth certificates for the kids. Another option is flying into Seattle and then taking train or bus to Vancouver; Passport Cards for adults and birth certificates for the kids are acceptable.

Don't worry about a camera; a cheap camera may not take any better pictures than your phone. If you have extra in the budget by the end of the cruise, splurge for a couple of prints from Shutters. We never buy the expensive photo packages, maybe one or two prints which is my souvenir. I do recommend an autograph book; one to share or one for each kid if you can. This can be DIY with index cards and photo sleeves, put it together after you get home and the kids have a great souvenir.

You can enjoy a cruise without ever spending another dime onboard (since your tips are covered). There is plenty of food, lots of activities, you can always leave the ship on your own to wander around the port. Extra food costs are not the necessities of feeding your family -- adult dining, alcohol and specialty beverages, candy/popcorn at the theater. You are welcome to grab snacks from the buffet or pool-side eateries and bring that elsewhere.

I suggest you get the details of exactly what is included in your prize. And speak to an accountant to find out approximate taxes you will need to pay on that. Then do your research, listing various options for the necessary expenses. See if you can make it work.

Enjoy your cruise!

I don't know how it works for the US but here (in Canada), you need a passport to get a Nexus card and it can take up to three months to receive it.

I checked the page before posting (and kept it to there being no centers in her state because it confused me) but it seems to show that a BC is accepted for the US. We have passports and that's what we used. In fact I didn't bring my BC at all to the interview which means I get to take it to the Boring Field location for them to scan. They didn't have access to my CA bc though they had dh's WA certificate in their system. They said that once they have my BC in their system if I lose my passport I can simply use the card.

Anyway it seemed like a BC was accepted but that confused me. :)

And yep it took ages. And we had to travel all the way up to just before Canada to get an appointment in any sort of decent amount of time. With the op having no centers in her state I just don't think it's a great idea.

If you get hurt in Canada and need care you WILL be charged. You need to be covered by Health Care and present your card in order to get "free" health care.

That's what dh was anticipating in England. But it didn't work that way. While he had no scans done, he was thoroughly checked out by staff at both the urgent care and hospital. He had his work cc out, ready to pay, but nope.

(My browser was being a pain. Editing in more of my post)

Have you had American friends who had to pay at urgent care for a basic sort of triage type of visit? Truly curious. :)

If you want to keep meal costs down while you are in Vancouver, try to find a hotel that is close to shops. It is always cheaper to stock up on supplies at a supermarket and just have a picnic with a loaf of bread, some fruit and some cheese than going to a restaurant.

Yes!

Plus the kids can try kinder eggs. Not very good chocolate, but fun, with the added bonus of being banned in the US. I tend to like things that are banned here lol.

A friend in college spent the summer in Paris. She ate bread, cheese, chocolate, and wine almost exclusively the whole time. It's how her budget worked, and it worked perfectly. She saw it as an adventure and a daily picnic!

Honestly, if you can swing it it might be your only chance to "afford" a Disney cruise. Your kids are the right age and Disney cruise prices can be prohibitive. So with the cost of the cruise out of the picture, I would think the $2,500 you saved would more than cover what you may need even with the Passport prices (or maybe you can get the Passport Visa?). Where did you win this from? It sounds like a great opportunity. What port is the ship leaving from? Maybe you can cut flying costs by driving a bit to a different airport? Good luck and hope it works out.

Whew! I just got off of a very long phone call with the promotions manager at the local radio station where I won the prize through (it was the grand prize for a winter contest, I also won $38.47 because I guessed the amount correctly lol). Anyway I discussed it with them, taxes are not included, so I have to pay them, BUT!! I was able to set the cruise for the first one in May of 18' !!!!!!!!! (I think they were glad to pay less, LOL)

Now I have time to breathe, Our budget probably won't be much better (we simply cannot do nothing all summer this year, but we'll be as responsible as possible) I think we might be able to come up with $2000 (after taxes) and my parents have airline miles that we will be using, so they don't mind that we move them to a different trip =)!!

There have been some awesome ideas here, I'm still on a fairly tight budget and I don't want to plan on more coming up magically, but I think it is doable, and maybe we can even come up with $300-400 for excursions (or a souvenir or two/stuff on the boat)

Really, my biggest thing is that I am glad we have time to plan.

If you can get a Disney Visa, you would earn reward dollars to use for your onboard account that could go towards excursions and onboard souvenirs. You could use it for all your monthly bills like groceries, gas, even paying cable, etc. and earn money. However, if you don't pay the balance off every month to keep from earning interest, then the reward dollars you earn are for nothing as they won't be "free". I already have almost $200 toward our next venture to Disney or on a cruise.

If you can get a Disney Visa, you would earn reward dollars to use for your onboard account that could go towards excursions and onboard souvenirs. You could use it for all your monthly bills like groceries, gas, even paying cable, etc. and earn money. However, if you don't pay the balance off every month to keep from earning interest, then the reward dollars you earn are for nothing as they won't be "free". I already have almost $200 toward our next venture to Disney or on a cruise.
If only we could pay the mortgage with a credit card....

Glad it is going to work out for you. Just wanted to mention that another way to save some money, gift cards from grocery stores. Meijer's has deals throughout the year on Disney gift cards, I buy the gift cards and use them to pay for our cruise and use the extra money to pay for groceries, I just saved $50 this month alone. Kroger's and Giant Eagle offer discounts on gas when you buy gift cards, they don't have to be Disney gift cards. Don't know if you have any of these stores where you live, but check out what grocery stores you do have. I notice the stores around here (Ohio) offer a lot more deals around the holidays.

OP..congrats on your cruise. I know it seems overwhelming but
in reality planning is half the fun.

Now you have more time time to look for deals and save.
I could slice and dice that 2000/2500 so many ways. It is
good you are looking at the whole picture. I like to know what
EVERYTHING costs from the minute I leave my door for the trip
until i make it home.

Make your list starting from there and then put cost for it and
work your way down. Also if you don't want to borrow or buy
new things look out for craigslist. I just gave away so much
stuff including nice luggage because i bought new. Some
people just want to be rid of stuff.

As others have said once your on the cruise the costs can
be minimal or as much as you want. This is definitely a
great opportunity to go as many people can't afford to cruise
with Disney.

Heck i would make it work even if i had to go by myself:tongue:

So happy to hear that you have found a cruise that works for you and their conditions! You will have plenty of time for research an der figure out what is the best way for you to save money! Have fun with the planning and stick around here on the DIS, it is a great resource!

Now get to crafting, etc. to earn even more money for the trip! There are a lot of ways to make money in today's day and age if you look outside the "normal" revenue streams. Heck, set up a fiverr account and do something there. Seriously. They even have a whole section of Fiverr dedicated to "Your Message On" where someone pays you $5 or more to write a message/display a message/some other way of doing messages in a unique way.

You got this!

Last edited:
That's what dh was anticipating in England. But it didn't work that way. While he had no scans done, he was thoroughly checked out by staff at both the urgent care and hospital. He had his work cc out, ready to pay, but nope.

(My browser was being a pain. Editing in more of my post)

Have you had American friends who had to pay at urgent care for a basic sort of triage type of visit? Truly curious. :)

Here in Quebec, even us Quebecers have to pay if we don't present our card! ;)

In my town's hospital, there is a sign before triage saying that from the moment you are seen by the triage at the emergency, they will charge you fees if you don't present your card.

Here is what our government says:

Canada does not pay for hospital or medical services for visitors. You should get health insurance to cover any medical costs before you come to Canada.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=424&top=16

Last edited:
That's great that you were able to move the cruise to May of next year! Now you have over a year to save up even more $! A vacation should not stress you out, especially a vacation that you have WON so I'm glad that you are going to be able to make it work!

I'm glad it's working out for you! Feel free to post questions as you come up with them over the next year!

If there is anyone who buys presents for you for Christmas/birthdays/etc...you can steer them towards getting you things for the cruise, or Disney gift cards, etc.

Glad to hear that you have airfare covered by miles from your parents!

Now I have time to breathe, Our budget probably won't be much better (we simply cannot do nothing all summer this year, but we'll be as responsible as possible) I think we might be able to come up with $2000 (after taxes) and my parents have airline miles that we will be using, so they don't mind that we move them to a different trip =)!!

There have been some awesome ideas here, I'm still on a fairly tight budget and I don't want to plan on more coming up magically, but I think it is doable, and maybe we can even come up with $300-400 for excursions (or a souvenir or two/stuff on the boat)

Totally doable!

Enjoy the planning time. That's half the fun, IMHO.

You could use some of that $38.47 to get a great guide book - The Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton. Lots of great info on the port cities and sights along the way.

I will be honest, I only read through the first two pages, but I wanted to share with you a few of my personal thoughts.

We chose to take a Disney Cruise in lieu of a Disney Vacation (we live in SoCal)...the reason behind this was because we heard (and later proved to be true) that the amount of character interactions are way greater on a cruise. Our goal was for DD4 to meet all of the characters when they were still "magical". It was not so much for the rides. So we bucked up and paid a small fortune for a Disney cruise (West Bound Panama Canal). We are extreme budget travelers because it is important to me to stretch our money as far as possible. We work hard for that money, dang it!

So, lets break down some expenses...

The actual cruise...is it actually paid in full, or do you have a credit of up to $6,000? If you have to add more than about $1,000 I would say that it is not worth it, simply because you have saved for a different trip...and well, you can cruise on other cruise lines to Alaska for about $2,500 for a family of 4, if and when you want to actually take that trip.

Next, airfare...what a wonderful gift your parents are gifting to you! A few options...you could fly in to Seattle and take the train to Vancouver... I picked a random date (Sunday August 6...the cheapest flight to Vancouver was about $550 per person. If you fly on that same day to Seattle, fares are $161 per person. The train is $42 each way...so lets say you fly in to Seattle and take the beautiful train ride to Vancouver...you have saved your parents a good chunk of money...perhaps they could pay for one night in a hotel for your family?

Carseats...if you use public transportation, you will not need them. Don't bother taking them. The baggage handlers beat them to hell anyways...rent a carseat if you decide to rent a car...but you really do not need one.

Passports...yes, it is an expense. You do not know what your life will look like, or what opportunities will come up in the next 5 years. Please, spring for the books and not the card. You will be thankful that the have a real passport.

Transportation in Canada...the public tube/lightrail is amazing. We took 3 suitcases, a stroller and a kid on it and it was easy-peasy.

Luggage...okay...airlines charge per bag...usually $25 per flight...so you will need to budget that in...there is laundry on board and you will be wearing jeans and jackets, so you do not need THAT much luggage. Try to cut it down to 2 checked suitcases and 2 carryons plus a backpack for each person.

Excursions...yes, there are excursions offered by DCL and they are EXPENSIVE. I have never, ever once in all my years of traveling taken a paid excursion by a consolidator. I always book direct and I save bucco bucks. However, you do not need to go on any excursions if you do not want to. Alaska is beautiful...heck! You don't need to get off the ship if you do not want to...stay on board and enjoy the peace and quiet of it all.

You can do this, if you want to...if you have questions or want to look at specific cost saving measures, I would be happy to help you.

Whew! I just got off of a very long phone call with the promotions manager at the local radio station where I won the prize through (it was the grand prize for a winter contest, I also won $38.47 because I guessed the amount correctly lol). Anyway I discussed it with them, taxes are not included, so I have to pay them, BUT!! I was able to set the cruise for the first one in May of 18' !!!!!!!!! (I think they were glad to pay less, LOL)

Happy to see things are working out! It will definitely help you to have it father away so you have some more time to plan. Don't stress about $ for excursions. I took my 3 kids on a cruise and we didn't pay for any excursions. We got off at all 3 ports (Western Caribbean) and walked around, shopped, took pics and had a local meal. My kids loved our trip. Save the $ so you can buy a fun souvenir. I love to buy a coffee mug. So I can dream of another cruise (and remember the ones we've taken) every time I use it! :)

YAAAAAYYYYY!!!! I'm so happy for you and your family. The planning is fun and then your on the ship and having a magical time. Have a wonderful cruise and as others have said stay on the board to learn all you need to learn. People here a nice and eager to help. Congratulations again. :flower1:

Totally doable!

Enjoy the planning time. That's half the fun, IMHO.

You could use some of that $38.47 to get a great guide book - The Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton. Lots of great info on the port cities and sights along the way.

Haha, we went out to dinner with that, it's long gone (we certainly didn't expect more). Have you read/used that book?

Have you read/used that book?

I didn't have the book for my cruise a few years ago, but bought it for my cruise this year. It's fantastic. DCL sells it on board. It includes a map, and the captain's updates will often say something like "we're currently at mile 225 in Joe Upton's book and heading toward...."

Joe Upton has spent many years on the waters of southeast Alaska, and describes them as only a local could.

I highly recommend the book. And a physical copy. (There's a Kindle edition, but the map is great to have along with the book.)

I didn't have the book for my cruise a few years ago, but bought it for my cruise this year. It's fantastic. DCL sells it on board. It includes a map, and the captain's updates will often say something like "we're currently at mile 225 in Joe Upton's book and heading toward...."

Joe Upton has spent many years on the waters of southeast Alaska, and describes them as only a local could.

I highly recommend the book. And a physical copy. (There's a Kindle edition, but the map is great to have along with the book.)

That sounds really neat, I looked it up on google and copies from a few years ago are only a couple dollars, does it change much? would a 2012 be basically as good or do I need a newer copy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter